Steve Carrel is so funny in his
cartoons. Go see Despicable me.
He will make you laugh.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#636166 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
concise and easy....do you really believe I'm not intelligent enough to understand how evidence works? That was beyond insulting...If I were shallow...it wold have made me down right mad. But I'm not...and it was funny.
:)
You certainly seemed to be having issues understanding that no scientific theory claims to be 100% true. The purpose of that site is to explain that theories work with what's available to whittle down a theory as close as we can get to the "truth." You also just described anecdotal faith healing nonsense as true evidence.
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#636167 Jul 3, 2013
Bullshit signed in wrote:
ONLY the unreligiously retarded of the world accept abiogenesis as significant. Most scientists don't even support that.
100% wrong! You're making a complete fool of yourself and should really stop.

The religiously retarded have been programmed to believe life was created by design. All rational people understand life on earth had an entirely natural origin.
Sharkey

Vallejo, CA

#636168 Jul 3, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>This is what's called anecdotal evidence, and it is no more convincing to me than the claims of snake handlers and faith healer televangelists. People of faith are simply the types of people to attribute the chaotic, dumb luck nature of the world to god.
As for the man - sometimes strange things happen. To attribute an event to god simply because we don't know exactly what happened is nonsensical. And if you want to throw in "faith healing" as proof, you are doing yourself a huge disservice. The number of people who experience a "miracle healing" after praying to god is *tiny* compared to the number of people who get bad news, pray endlessly, and then die a painful death. Where was god then? After all, if faith heals people, you would think believers would have a 100% cancer remission rate. In fact, one would think they'd never get cancer in the first place. But.. oh yes, god is mysterious. The ultimate cop out.
What it really boils down to is:

What are the results when you apply "faith" to something?

What are the results when you apply effort and work to make something happen?

To me, faith is asking for something or wanting something and just waiting for it to happen.

Sometimes people with faith feel "entitled" to "special favors" or "blessing form their "god".

These are the folks who say "Thank god my house was saved" while the rest of their block was ripped apart by a tornado that was "god's will". That disgusts me. What, so god just wanted to save your house and everyone else just has to have their lives destroyed? BARF.

For those who like to bandy about the phrase of "sometimes your prayers are answered with no" it would be very cruel and disgusting and heartless of a "god" to decide to let a child with cancer die even though their parents prayed for the child's full recovery.

What has "faith" resulted for in this world?

War. Poverty. Hatred. Sickness. Death. Abuse. Greed.

A world full of angry humans turning on each other, making the human race turn on itself.

How can one so fervently believe that "god will make it better"? It would have happened back at the beginning.

There would be no such thing as suffering, period. Nothing negative whatsoever, forever.

An eternal paradise.

Since the world obviously ISN'T an eternal paradise, how can one have "faith"?

Seems like it's just an empty gesture. Most of us humans do it, though. What for?

Location hidden

#636169 Jul 3, 2013
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>
timm17: Did it ever occur to you that there is no reason to assume that god exists?
RiversideRedneck: Did it ever occur to you that there is no reason NOT to assume that god exists?
^^^^
Take a hard look at both these statements, and think about them both.
Does it occur to either one of you that both of you are cancelling each other's statements out?
If each one of you both says the other is wrong, that makes both of you wrong because neither of you are right because remember - you declared each other wrong.
0-0=0.
The idea of a god existing has been canceled out.
Completely.
Every time someone thinks they have proof, someone else points out that it is not proof.
Every time someone points out the lack of proof, there are those that insist that the proof is there.
There are even disputes among the proof-bearers of what constitutes as the right kind of "proof".
The argument just goes in a circle.
No resolution.
Instead of fighting over whether there is a god or no, we humans should keep doing what we can do to not let our planet turn into black ball of radioactive ash - all over a question that may never, never be answered.
Que?

Location hidden

#636170 Jul 3, 2013
waaaz up wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize the same thing you say to this poster apply's to you as well?
You are just as indoctrinated as the next person, if thats what you wish to call it..
You are trained/wired to believe what you have "chosen"..
Faith/God, a divine being "threatings" what you believe!
Therefore your own logic is your enemy..
threatings, eh? sounds kinky

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

#636171 Jul 3, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, but you do
you are one bundle of hubris.
"truth" indeed.
You are no academic, your prose is here for all to see.
the god you imagine is a projection of your psyche.
you are an indoctrinated christian.
Uhm...No Karl...I don't.

hubris...lol...Come on Karl...get a dictionary. you really gotta find a new word. You've wore this one out.

Indeed...truth...I like that word...

My prose...really? I'm a country girl and I work with a very uneducated group of people. as the saying goes...if you don't use it, you lose it. I think it's just rude to speak with a vocabulary above the level of others, especially when it makes them feel bad about themselves. Therefore, I try to speak, using words they understand as a means to better communicate and NOT make them feel bad about themselves. Ultimatley, as a result, I no longer speak eloquently or in a manner that suggests I might be educated. You're judging a book by it's cover...but for the record, if you think you can measure intelligence by vocabulary...you're nuts. There are some well versed complete idiots on here...

A projection of my psyche...yeah right...because I made up God...all by myself. Lol
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#636172 Jul 3, 2013
“We told you so.”
Creation science isn't science:
http://www.huecotanks.com/debunk

Never mindlessly accept the work of disingenuous Christian pseudo-scientists. The "Cambrian Explosion" of fossils is exactly what one would expect. Do you even know how the Cambrian Period differs from the Ediacaran Period?
waaaz up

London, KY

#636173 Jul 3, 2013
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>No one is forced to be on Topix. Everyone has an opposing point of view and this argument will likely go on forever.
You are free to leave this room and do something better than argue over a god that may or may not exist.
Is it really worth the self-extinction of our entire species?
Think of the irony of killing ourselves to find god.
Your logic, is ummm kinda twisted bud.

Don't think you have to kill yourself to find God.

Sounds like this might be to much for you to bear, it's just a discussion forum. Yes, some argue, some debate, some do it with respect and some don't.

Are you ready to take your flight out of here? You know,, meet the maker or maybe not a maker?
Sharkey

Vallejo, CA

#636174 Jul 3, 2013
waaaz up wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just as indoctrinated as the next person, if thats what you wish to call it..
That is a blatant contradiction.

An oxymoronic statement.

You can't be "trained" or "wired" to choose what to believe.

You make the choice on your own.

"Training" or "wiring" means the choices are made for you by something or someone else other than yourself.

It's either/or and can never be both/and.

The line between free will and fate cannot ever be crossed.

One always cancels out the other.
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#636175 Jul 3, 2013
Oh the delusions we all must endure!
Imaginary father figure in the sky? Eternal souls? Delusions are for the feeble-minded and weak-willed. Grow up!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/rib...
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#636176 Jul 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
I often ask myself that question. And, for a while I ignored RR. It's entertainment; I hope you can tell that I don't take him seriously.
No rational person takes a godbot so completely brainwashed to be mentally retarded seriously. We've informed that he's delusional and doesn't have a personal relationship with a mythical character from a plagiarized work of fiction. We've advised him to seek professional help. We shouldn't be feeding his need for attention.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#636177 Jul 3, 2013
waaaz up wrote:
<quoted text>
Get over yourself , I'm not the one denying science. Or are you saying I'm indoctrinated into a logic and empirical evidence driven discipline of discovering the truth?

Location hidden

#636178 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm...No Karl...I don't.
hubris...lol...Come on Karl...get a dictionary. you really gotta find a new word. You've wore this one out.
My prose...really? I'm a country girl and I work with a very uneducated group of people. as the saying goes...if you don't use it, you lose it. I think it's just rude to speak with a vocabulary above the level of others, especially when it makes them feel bad about themselves. Therefore, I try to speak, using words they understand as a means to better communicate and NOT make them feel bad about themselves. Ultimatley, as a result, I no longer speak eloquently or in a manner that suggests I might be educated. You're judging a book by it's cover...but for the record, if you think you can measure intelligence by vocabulary...you're nuts. There are some well versed complete idiots on here...
A projection of my psyche...yeah right...because I made up God...all by myself. Lol
To be fair - what we write here is pretty much all we have to go on when judging each other's intelligence. It's pretty much the exact opposite of judging a book by it's cover. Not saying that a wordy vocabulary automatically means you're intelligent, not at all - it's more about the general ability to turn thoughts into coherent sentences - big words are usually unnecessary.
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#636179 Jul 3, 2013
I am completely and utterly amazed and captivated by the love and life of Jesus Christ.
It's irrefutable historical fact that Christianity is a derivative religious cult with very little originality and the biblical Jesus is nothing more than an amalgamated myth who doesn't love you or anyone else.

Location hidden

#636180 Jul 3, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Creation science isn't science:
http://www.huecotanks.com/debunk
Never mindlessly accept the work of disingenuous Christian pseudo-scientists. The "Cambrian Explosion" of fossils is exactly what one would expect. Do you even know how the Cambrian Period differs from the Ediacaran Period?
Oh man.. this is an awesome quote:

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture."

Them thur eggheads done did said our jeebus ain't real!

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

#636181 Jul 3, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I suppose there are more than two, and I also suppose that the opinion of evolutionary researchers in general is also relevant, not just those who focus on the cambrian.
And if it turns out that they are correct (highly unlikely) and that the cambrian "disproves" evolution, they will go down in history. I would be interested in knowing what alternate explanation they might propose to explain the diversity of life that does not involve magic. I am not bound to evolution as you are bound to creationism. It would not bother me if it was disproven.
I am perfectly calm. Does it bother you to think that you are related to chimps? Does it bother you to know you are, in fact, a great ape? This often seems to be the case with creationists, and I detect a hint of it in your post with your howler monkey comment.
No it wouldn't bother me if it were true. I mean, they're kinda cute...I was just joking with the howler monkey comment...it was mean...I'm sorry about that.

For the record, I'm not opposed to the idea that God could have used evolution as a means to create us...and that the written scripture only have us beginning with Adam and Eve because that is all God really felt we needed to know...or whatever. But as for now...I just see too many holes in the theory. As for my belief in God...it's a belief based on faith, that was God's intention. it is what it is.
Sharkey

Vallejo, CA

#636182 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm...No Karl...I don't.
Have you ever considered the possibility that mankind could have very well made up the idea of this "god" all by ourselves?

After all, humans do make up things lots of the time. We're a creative species. And we do lie and we are terrific at telling tales.

Perhaps this "god" was a made up character, with a story so fantastic that it attempts to control the entire mass of mankind and its nature. This character is a creator and a heartless assassin, with power to "create" a whole universe - with errors.

A "Supreme Being" as schizophrenic and murderous as s/he/it is can only come from the messed-up minds of humans.

What the hell went so horribly wrong at the beginning, before the "evil" came? Why didn't this being with all its power stop the evil before it could ever begin?

Because now, our world is crumbling. We humans are on the verge of self-extinction.

If god isn't made up, why isn't life perfect like the believers say it will be?

Believers are asking people to believe what may be mankind's biggest lie.
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#636183 Jul 3, 2013
Pokay wrote:
Why is it cowardly to believe in eternal consciousness?
You can invent your own terminology for god and eternal life. There's no scientific evidence in support of such inane delusions. Cowardice is attempting to create your own reality to fit your personal delusions.
Sharkey

Vallejo, CA

#636184 Jul 3, 2013
Will humanity really kill itself fighting over god?

...so much for having faith.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 10 min skyedove 31,210
My "thorn in the flesh" God won't fix....this s... 22 min Poo Bears 7
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 57 min Rosesz 687,333
Are Quadroons and Griffes Considered Mulatto? (Aug '10) 2 hr Johnny 47
dried poppy pods (Mar '13) 3 hr gurmail singh gosal 38
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 4 hr Johnny 186
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr David S Pumpkins 286,590
More from around the web