Prove there's a god.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#634742 Jul 1, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh.
So why do you keep saying things?
A stupid person with a keyboard is a wonderful thing to behold. Don't discourage her.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#634743 Jul 1, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you here 40,000 years ago hotshot? Was anyone you know here 40,000 years ago? Any tool we use to measure a fossil and assume that it came from 40,000 years ago has questionable validity.
To understand radiometric dating, you need to understand measurement first. Any scientific measurement is expressed as a number of units, plus a tolerance. For instance, a spindle rod with a diameter of 26mm with 0.5mm tolerance. This means that the actual measurement, when measured by a more precise tool, would be 25.5-26.5 mm.

Now, radiometric dating also have such tolerances. On early Homo Sapiens, this tolerance would be maybe a thousand years. So if the test gives a result of 153,610 years old, their maybe a swing of 800 to a thousand years. Not very much, compared to 150,000 years, right?

Now, the farther back we look ,the rougher our tools become. When dating the oldest rocks on earth (using uranium) we would have a possible swing of a few million years. That sounds like a lot, but compared to 4.6 billion, it is a drop in the bucket.

Radiometric dating measures the decay of the Element, based upon that element's "half-life" Think of it this way. Let's say you leave your kids at home for a week, with food in the cupboards. If I go in on day 2, I would find most of the food still there. But I go in at day 6, and most of the food might be gone. I can thus determine roughly, how long you have been away, by examining only the food in the cupboard. If I know the smaller variables, like their weight, exercise routine, usual diet, favourite meals, I would be able to scientifically determine the time you were away, by measuring the kilojoule value of the food taken from the cupboard.

That is how radiometric dating works. Elements decay away, and we measure that decay. Some elements decay rate goes quick, like Carbon (about 5000 years) and others, like Uranium, are more than a billion years.

By all means, google this information, do not just take my word. Decay rates have never ever ever been proven not to be constant, despite a great many experiments.

Now. How about a small verification? Africa and South America were once joined, we know this due to the fact that the geologies align. Now, both move real slowly, at about 2 inches per year. If we take the vectors they are on now, at the rate they are moving, we find that they split roughly 97 million years ago.

Now, plantlife aan animal life began to diversify on both continents, after 97 million years, according to radiometric dating techniques of fossils. Tgis implies that before 97 million years, the continets were one. And at 97 million years, they split.

This evidence makes an extremely strong case for the accuracy of radiometric dating, since two sources corroborate each other

#634744 Jul 1, 2013
Ilovewhitemen20 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right..:/ I sunk to his level technically.
I really need to put my fickle nature in check..
Dearie, it has been you that turned this into a meaningless mudslinging. If anything, the other posters lowered themselves to your level. Now on the internet, it does not really matter. In real life? This may have profound effects.

You are intelligent, I have no doubts, but you need to learn how to turn a disagreement into something positive, rather than negative. You seem to put a lot of "ego" into your posts. Try to remain impartial. If you are proven wrong, then accept it and learn from it.

#634745 Jul 1, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
when science proves their methods and theories to be 100% accurate...I won't question it. Until then...I will. your article was from 2001...here's a little more recent info that is factual that brings about skepticism
Meanwhile, two leading evolutionary paleontologists have just come out with a pro-evolution book about the sudden appearance of virtually all animal phyla at the base of the Cambrian. Written by Douglas Erwin and James Valentine, experts on the Cambrian fossil record, the new work, The Cambrian Explosion The Construction of Animal Biodiversity, was reviewed by Christpher J. Lowe (Stanford) in Science Magazine this week:“What Led to Metazoa’s Big Bang?” was his suggestive headline. His first paragraph states the problem in such a way as to furrow the brows of Darwinists and make creationists or ID advocates grin,“We told you so.”
The Ediacaran and Cambrian periods witnessed a phase of morphological innovation in animal evolution unrivaled in metazoan history, yet the proximate causes of this body plan revolution remain decidedly murky. The grand puzzle of the Cambrian explosion surely must rank as one of the most important outstanding mysteries in evolutionary biology. Evidence of early representatives of all the major animal phyla first appear abruptly in the Cambrian (starting 542 million years ago). This spectacular morphological diversity contrasts strongly with Precambrian deposits, which have yielded a sparse fossil record with small, morphologically ambiguous trace fossils or the enigmatic but elegant creatures of the Ediacaran fauna. Following the Cambrian, despite a rich fossil record that documents impressive morphological diversification among animals, no new body plans have been revealed, leaving the Cambrian as the apparent crucible of metazoan body plan innovation.
Lowe agrees, then, that it was an explosion, that all the animaly phyla appear abruptly, and that the few Precambrian fossils (including the “enigmatic” Ediacarans) are not ancestral to the Cambrian animals. So what, then, is the evolutionists’ response to this “outstanding mystery” that Darwin wrote about 154 years ago? Lowe is not helpful to the Darwin side:“The range of hypotheses proposed to explain the Cambrian explosion is as diverse and broad as the fossils they seek to explain.”
- See more at: http://crev.info/2013/06/cambrian-explosion-e...
As for dating methods...articles such as the one found here...
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/9...
Certainly cause my eyebrows to raise.
It isn't retarded to question science...it's shallow and close-minded not to.
The Cambrian Period was earmarked by a cbemical compound in the soil that worked detramental to fossil formation. Currently, one in every million specimens gets fossilised. Why? Because fossilisation is very rare. Now, during the Cambrian, this figure may have been one in a hundred million. This gives very incomplete evidence.

#634746 Jul 1, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
The evolution of mankind has absolutely NOT been proven beyond any and all reasonable doubt. As for ID...I didn't call it science...get off your rant and give us a big grin PA...geez
:):):)
Sorry, not rue. The evolution from mammal to humanoid has been proven above any reasonable doubt. Not one other theory can explain the fossil evidence. Not one.

#634747 Jul 1, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You question the validity of the scientific method because of apologist websites which search for things to support their very narrow hypothesis and discard all confounding evidence? There isn't some vast conspiracy to turn us all to the devil - if real, actual scientists began to find that the world is secretly 10k years and and that evolution is a lie, there would be real, actual scientific work being done to confirm it. Such a paradigm shift would be difficult, but you can bet the scientist who "discovered" these things would win a nobel and go down in history. In short - there is no danger in getting your science from actual scientists. There is plenty of danger in getting your science from people who have one goal - to "prove" the existence of god and discredit "anti-god science."
So, you posted an article that you didn't agree with? We've already been over all this early man nonsense, a few months ago. The fact that dates change occasionally is not an indictment of the scientific method, it is a good thing. It is self correcting. There are no scientists who swear by the original date of a find because "god says so." If evidence shows the original idea to be wrong, it is changed. That's a good thing, don't you think?
The cambrian explosion is in no way indicative of "design" 500 mya. This is an example of creationists latching onto something they don't quite understand to use as "proof." First of all, it doesn't even make any sense. So god started the world, and then sat around for billions of years, only to then "seed" the earth with many lifeforms 500 mya? Furthermore, not all life is descended from creatures present after the cambrian explosion. Flowering plants evolved long after, as did many groups of animals, including mammals. If this was god's big bout of designing, why did he leave these things out? Also, the term "explosion" is meant relatively. It's not like one day we had nothing and then the next the earth was full of life. It took millions of years, and some say 50 million.
And there are many potential explanations for this event that do not evolve invoking a deity. An increase of predatory behavior could have spurred many creatures to evolve hard bodies, thereby leading to an over representation in the fossil record. More fossils, not necessarily more creatures. Or we might just be missing the evidence of complex life that led up to the cambrian because it were so tiny and therefore didn't leave behind any fossil evidence. Etc.
Yo amigo. Cambrian strata has a distinct chemical signature. That served to decompose even the bits that are usually preserved.

Looking at the Cambrian Explosion is like seeing a family photo album with the first ten pages torn out

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#634748 Jul 1, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>...
Jeez, female hormones are not helping your thought processes, dude. Lose the skirt, HRT and live real.
Still waiting for any evidence supporting this assertion of yours. Or do you finally admit to making it all up as you go?

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#634749 Jul 1, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Dearie, it has been you that turned this into a meaningless mudslinging. If anything, the other posters lowered themselves to your level. Now on the internet, it does not really matter. In real life? This may have profound effects.
You are intelligent, I have no doubts, but you need to learn how to turn a disagreement into something positive, rather than negative. You seem to put a lot of "ego" into your posts. Try to remain impartial. If you are proven wrong, then accept it and learn from it.
When the hell did you become the Knight in Shining Armor?

How do you know that's a girl?

Nano says that men pretend to be girls. Nano would know that. Nano is that.

Be careful DF.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#634750 Jul 1, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
He was not trying to make science interesting. He was trying to drive an agenda of atheism. He was misrepresenting and defaming science. How can you not see that?
That link was just a part of the debate. You can search for the whole debate, and see where and how many times he equates atheism to science.
He disgraces the objectiveness of science.
Nope, you are wrong.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#634751 Jul 1, 2013
I smell stupid people wrote:
to quote a mormon.....
"and I want you to know that in these latter days, God, while certain people are proclaiming his name, is not trifling with you and me..."
Carlsbad is getting rain.
Nevada is getting 113 temperatures.
Maybe they bother him. Too much greed.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#634752 Jul 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting for any evidence supporting this assertion of yours. Or do you finally admit to making it all up as you go?
Yes, you are right. Contraceptive pills are hormones.
No, they are not safe. Yes, they lie to us.
Why would God want doctors and medicine to cure us?
He never made us sick in the first place.
Why do we believe them?
Maybe there are enemy aliens in the form of humans.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#634753 Jul 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The American connection to the Shah was a mistake yes.
But it wasn't with Anwar he was a pretty good fellow, but they killed him anyway. And how about Bhutto, she was a real promise of equality for women, killed doornail dead. And Golshifteh Farahani banned for modest tit shots.
And best of all , tell us about Neda , guilty of what?
But Israel is just as messed up, running over a little girl with a bulldozer. No our cause is just , but we sometimes side with the wrong players. Do you think we went to Somalia to cause harm?
The warlords were starving innocent people to genocide. We fought for them getting lots of guys killed for them.
I like most Iranians I have met, but not Iran they are too scary.
Iran and Israel both can move to another planet as far as I care.
Ahmadinejad is hostile and a problem causer.
What the American people want, and what the elitist pigs that bow to big banks ,corps and greed are two different things. sorry that's true everywhere.
Anwar? A good fellow? They paid that guy out so he can abandon the Palestinians in exchange for water security, which the Egyptians still don't have anyway. He wasn't a good guy. You see him as good because he was a coorporative guy towards Israel and the U.S.

Benazir Bhutto far as I know was a good lady.

And you want to talk about fighting warlords? What is the real reason behind sectarian violence in Iraq today? When the U.S. invaded, they gave millions of dollars of hard cash to various warlords in the rural areas of Iraq. People who were condemned as criminals and consistently fought by the republican guard, the U.S. bribed and made millionaires. And now those same warlords are using that money, recruiting fanatics and attacking Iraqi cities.

Ahmedinejad was not the one war mongering. It was netanyahu who is constantly war mongering, together with that Nobel peace prize president of yours, who signed off hundreds of sloppy drone attacks killing hundreds of civilians.

#634754 Jul 1, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
When the hell did you become the Knight in Shining Armor?
How do you know that's a girl?
Nano says that men pretend to be girls. Nano would know that. Nano is that.
Be careful DF.
Man, woman or it, doesn't matter.

Do like the "dearie", though

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#634755 Jul 1, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, not rue. The evolution from mammal to humanoid has been proven above any reasonable doubt. Not one other theory can explain the fossil evidence. Not one.
If I'm not mistaken, I think the Mormons believe that Satan made fossils and buried them all over to deceive humans.

That's another theory that explains it!:)

#634756 Jul 1, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
If I'm not mistaken, I think the Mormons believe that Satan made fossils and buried them all over to deceive humans.
Mormonism are one of the more stupid cults in Christianity. I mean, just how stupid do you need to be?

Hey have you ever heard the tale of "Just Nuisance"?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#634757 Jul 1, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, nope. Mormons actually accept all scientific facts and theories, including the theory of evolution. Hate to break it to you, but that whacky version of christianity is more believable than yours is.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#634758 Jul 1, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo amigo. Cambrian strata has a distinct chemical signature. That served to decompose even the bits that are usually preserved.
Looking at the Cambrian Explosion is like seeing a family photo album with the first ten pages torn out
I see. I kind of misspoke when I said it was over represented, I meant that there may have been an abundance of shelled creatures leading to more fossilization than usual. This isn't really my thing though... I'm sure you know this stuff a lot better than me.

Since: Mar 13

Anaheim, California

#634759 Jul 1, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>A stupid person with a keyboard is a wonderful thing to behold. Don't discourage her.
Speak for yourself, dipsh it.:)

Anaheim, California

#634760 Jul 1, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh.
So why do you keep saying things?
Why dont you go f uck yourself?:)

Anaheim, California

#634761 Jul 1, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Guys just need to hold their girlfriends.
Hug them. Stop hurting them.
Marry them first.
No I was just agreeing with the part she said about black guys. I ignored the rest of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min roymoores tightie... 42,314
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 3 hr Paul McCartney is... 633
Do white girls really love filipino men? In wha... (Apr '14) 4 hr Paul McCartney is... 5
Zumo de aloe vera al por mayor 5 hr okyaloaloedrink 1
Palm Coast Injury Attorney 7 hr Chiumento3 1
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 7 hr Johnny 152
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 hr PadMark 690,521
More from around the web