Prove there's a god.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#633033 Jun 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not even gonna entertain that nonsense.
I thought you were open minded? I would consider it if the evidence pointed towards it. Why not you? Because to you, "open minded" means "anything that confirms my belief, no matter how fantastical, and nothing that doesn't."

Since: May 11

London, UK

#633034 Jun 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the same proof of Jesus' nationality?
Proof that Jesus was...
...Jewish:
1. He went into his father's business.
2. He lived at home until the age of 33.
3. He was sure his mother was a virgin, and his mother was sure he was God.
...Irish:
1. He never got married.
2. He never held a steady job.
3. His last request was a drink.
...Puerto Rican:
1. His first name was Jesus.
2. He was always in trouble with the law.
3. His mother did not know who his father was.
...Italian:
1. He talked with his hands.
2. He had wine with every meal.
3. He used olive oil.
...Black:
1. He called everybody brother.
2. He liked Gospel.
3. He couldn't get a fair trial.
...Californian:
1. He never cut his hair.
2. He walked around barefoot all the time.
3. He started a new religion.
HA HA HA !!
(Lord, I apologize)
Do you know what standard of proof means? You seem to be getting a little hysterical/maniacal.

What standard of proof will be sufficient for you to accept that I have two hands?

Location hidden

#633035 Jun 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And the only people not calling it science are natural selection supporters.
Go figure.
That's like saying that the only people who don't acknowledge the science of the hollow earth are solid earth supporters.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#633036 Jun 25, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
RR, you do have to admit just one thing:
Maturity is not your strongest suit.
What the hell you talkin 'bout?! I don't wear no suits!

:p

Location hidden

#633037 Jun 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I've analyzed my options and I've come to a rational decision.
No indoctrination here.
What's your excuse?
No, you were raised in a christian environment with strong social pressure on you to become a christian, there being only a small chance that you would end up a non christian. You took the route of least resistance, both mental and social. I can't blame you, most of us do.

Location hidden

#633038 Jun 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but add it with a few million if it's friends and slip them all over her back and you have art.
Go take a personal break. You need some alone time.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#633039 Jun 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>When have I ever said god doesn't exist? My position is that the evidence for god is underwhelming and I don't believe in him. There's no point in even reading or responding to the rest of your post, because you are putting words in my mouth.
Again - you are making the positive claim, not me (and most atheists I know or have spoken to would never claim to know that god doesn't exist). The burden of proof is on you. Your definition of god as "nature" or "one," and your appeal to what basically amounts to a god that emerges from the elegance of nature is cute, but not evidence in any sense of the word.
LOL!!

As often as Topix atheist change their colors it can make one believe if you pull their tail off it will grow back.

So you aren't an atheist, you are a chameleon? Or a troll?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#633040 Jun 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>If that's what you call hysteria, you must live a dull life.
It's "emotional" to assert that the burden of proof is on the believer? I make no claims in this argument, I just ask for evidence for why I should believe.
"I just ask for evidence for why I should believe."

Just so you can fly off into an emotional rant when they do.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#633041 Jun 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you were open minded? I would consider it if the evidence pointed towards it. Why not you? Because to you, "open minded" means "anything that confirms my belief, no matter how fantastical, and nothing that doesn't."
No, dude. You're talkin bout The Matrix being real.

THAT I won't entertain.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#633042 Jun 25, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what standard of proof means? You seem to be getting a little hysterical/maniacal.
What standard of proof will be sufficient for you to accept that I have two hands?
Geez, I can't even joke around with you.

Very well, in order for me to believe that you have hands, I'll need unquantifiable amount of proof that must be shown so I can have no reasonable doubt.

Go.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#633043 Jun 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, you were raised in a christian environment with strong social pressure on you to become a christian, there being only a small chance that you would end up a non christian. You took the route of least resistance, both mental and social. I can't blame you, most of us do.
You're only partially right. I was raised in a Christian home, yes. But that's it. There was no societal pressure for me to become (and stay) a Christian. In fact, NONE of my friends in high school or afterwards were Christian and they all gave me shit for it.

There's nothing for you to blame me for when you're wrong...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#633044 Jun 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Go take a personal break. You need some alone time.
Ok.

Done.

Location hidden

#633045 Jun 25, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh the Vanquish...reminds me of the last great 007 movie. Pierce Brosnan, the last great 007. The Vanquish, the last great kick ass Bond car. The last great villain with that solar concentrator, and their very own weaponized jag.
Since then, there's been nothing good about 007 movies. That stiff useless Daniel Craig. No gadgets. No kitted car. The villains don't even have any substantial goals, other than to simply be *ssholes.
I think Daniel Craig is decent. Brosnan was more in line with the classic bond archetype, but bond had to evolve to stay relevant. Some people were starting to get tired of the campy over the top nature of the films. I wasn't, but some were.

And was the vanquish the invisible car? That was dumb. Not the vanquish, the invisibility.

Quantum of solace was an absolute train wreck, though.

Since: May 11

London, UK

#633046 Jun 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez, I can't even joke around with you.
Very well, in order for me to believe that you have hands, I'll need unquantifiable amount of proof that must be shown so I can have no reasonable doubt.
Go.
give me a sequence of 5 numbers please.

Location hidden

#633047 Jun 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh...
Roger from Portland - You just said you've been in combat, but you've never been in the military, have you?
Bill O'Reilly - No, I have not.
Roger from Portland - Then why do you say you've been in combat?
Bill O'Reilly - Why do I say that, Roger? Because I was in the middle of a couple of firefights in South and Central America.
Roger from Portland - But you were a media guy.
Bill O'Reilly - Yeah. A media guy with a pen, not a gun. And people were shooting at me, Roger.
You're defending him? He refers to "his unit," he refers to "being in combat," and he suggests that he has forcibly extracted information from the bad guys. You consider that an honest representation of what a media attachment does? Sure, he may have been in danger, but he talks about it like he was part of a full fledged "unit."

He's pandering to people like you, pure and simple. He's good at what he does.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#633048 Jun 25, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
give me a sequence of 5 numbers please.
1, 4, 9, 16, 25....

Show me your hands.
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#633049 Jun 25, 2013
Here's another meticulously researched website on the mythical Jesus:

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizrael/jesusr...

"We are thus left with the conclusion that there is absolutely no reliable and acceptable historical evidence of Jesus. All references to Jesus are derived from the superstitious beliefs and myths of the early Christian community. The majority of these beliefs only came into existence after the persecution by Nero and the tragedy of 70 C.E. Many of these beliefs are based on the pagan legends about the gods Tammuz, Osiris, Attis, Dionysus and the sun god Mithras. Other myths about Jesus appear to be based on various different historical people such as the convicted criminals Yeishu ben Pandeira and ben Stada, and the crucified false Messiahs Yehuda, Theudas and Benjamin, but none of these people can be regarded as an historical Jesus."

Location hidden

#633050 Jun 25, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof is in the order all around you. The inescapable and ingenious control of scientific law.
Further proof is in the historical accuracy of Quranic prophecy, as well as a few diabolical scientific claims and suggestions, which would have been impossible to know 1430 years ago, yet have proven to be accurate today.
Additional proof is in the unique style of the Quran, which only those who study arabic poetry or even poetry in general, can actually appreciate and concur that humans simply cannot think in such a way.
But why should you believe me? Go find out for yourself. Now don't cherry pick websites and let others define your perception. Your perception should be your own. So just pick up an english translation of the Quran, clear all bias in your mind, leave all preconceived notions and opinions aside, have full objectivity, and read it from beginning to end. If you are truly curious and seeking some truth.
There are different translations. I'd recommend the Pickthall, Yusuf Ali, or Sahih International translation, as these were translated by a collaborative effort which included english first-language speakers. Other translations are a bit weird since they were done by english-second language speakers.
The original and true Quran is of course in Arabic. A translation is usually not 100% accurate. So bear in mind that you will only be reading a translation of the Quran, and not the Quran itself. There is only one Quran and that is the Arabic Quran, but there are numerous translations in all languages and those may differ.
Order is not proof of god.

Prophecy is not proof of god. Does the quaran have a 100% sucess rate? Are it's prophecies specific and unambiguous? Is there only one way to interpret them? Do you accept the prophetic claims of other religions? Thought so.

What scientific predictions did it make? Are the relevant verses unambiguous and specific? Can they be interpreted only one way? Thought so.

An appeal to the "poetry" of the quaran, and a suggestion that men cannot think in the way it is written. Yeah. No. Perhaps we should nominate shakespeare for the position of universal deity, given the beautiful nature of his prose.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#633051 Jun 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You're defending him? He refers to "his unit," he refers to "being in combat," and he suggests that he has forcibly extracted information from the bad guys. You consider that an honest representation of what a media attachment does? Sure, he may have been in danger, but he talks about it like he was part of a full fledged "unit."
He's pandering to people like you, pure and simple. He's good at what he does.
Nope. When a journalist goes out into a war zone they are always given a unit to protect them, while in combat.

Atheist apologetics is fun!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#633052 Jun 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know, I never asked and they never told.

Plenty.
Did your parents introduce you to Christianity?

And really, "plenty" isn't an answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min roymoores tightie... 42,314
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 3 hr Paul McCartney is... 633
Do white girls really love filipino men? In wha... (Apr '14) 4 hr Paul McCartney is... 5
Zumo de aloe vera al por mayor 5 hr okyaloaloedrink 1
Palm Coast Injury Attorney 7 hr Chiumento3 1
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 7 hr Johnny 152
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 hr PadMark 690,521
More from around the web