“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#632020 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Theistic belief is belief based on faith. Scientific belief is belief based on evidence. You are conflating the word with the concept of faith that it is commonly associated with. I am still hesitant to say I believe in anything though, precisely because of the unsavory way it is conflated with faith. When a scientist/rationalist says they believe in something, you should take it as shorthand for "based on the available evidence, I consider this to be the most likely explanation, however I am open to adjusting my views to accommodate new evidence." Contrast this with the theistic conception of belief - "this is what happened, no matter what."
That's pure conjecture and you know it.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#632021 Jun 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subduction
Interesting. I just multiplied 6 cm,between the 2 and 8 average per year, by 65 million, then converted those 390000000 cm to 2423.3476 miles.
65 million is the dinos dying and the Rockies appearing. Not a real long time.
Maybe I missed something in how they calculate those 2-8 cm a year. I am assuming that is how much crust is diving down to the mantle per year.
The crust is only about 7 to 47 miles thick. Roughly 1/100 of the radius at its thickest.
Did you even read the article?

Location hidden

#632022 Jun 21, 2013
Subduction zones mark sites of convective downwelling of the Earth's lithosphere (the crust plus the top brittle portion of the upper mantle). Subduction zones exist at convergent plate boundaries where one plate of oceanic lithosphere converges with another plate. The down-going slab—the subducting plate—is overridden by the leading edge of the other plate. The slab sinks at an angle of approximately 25 to 45 degrees to the surface of the Earth. At a depth of approximately 80–120 km, the basalt of the oceanic slab is converted to a metamorphic rock called eclogite. At this point, the density of the oceanic lithosphere increases and it is carried into the mantle by the downwelling convective currents. It is at subduction zones that the Earth's lithosphere, oceanic crust, sedimentary layers, and some trapped water are recycled into the deep mantle. Earth is the only planet where subduction is known to occur. Without subduction, plate tectonics could not exist.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#632023 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Then a car's primary purpose is to combust gasoline and send power to the drivetrain. Again, you're being disingenuous.
No, that would be the engine's primary purpose, not the car.

Try again.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#632024 Jun 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subduction
Interesting. I just multiplied 6 cm,between the 2 and 8 average per year, by 65 million, then converted those 390000000 cm to 2423.3476 miles.
65 million is the dinos dying and the Rockies appearing. Not a real long time.
Maybe I missed something in how they calculate those 2-8 cm a year. I am assuming that is how much crust is diving down to the mantle per year.
The crust is only about 7 to 47 miles thick. Roughly 1/100 of the radius at its thickest.
They believe it.

Location hidden

#632025 Jun 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Intent can't be assigned by any one but the owner.
Or all clubs are designed to beat people to death with and
batting balls is a secondary reason.
The fact something is capable of a task, doesn't mean it is it's only or sole task.
I said primary, not sole. Anyone who says guns aren't primarily meant to kill or wound are being dishonest with themselves. They can be used for other things, and I'm sure there are some people who own guns for the sole purpose of playing skeet - but that doesn't change their primary purpose.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#632026 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Really? It's on the scientists to perform "god tests?" Why don't the proponents of ID perform some tests?
Are you implying that there are no scientists that support and research ID?

O_o

Location hidden

#632027 Jun 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's task is to move you around without a horse.
But horses and cars can be made into weapons of war.
Enter the mounted Knight and Calvary and the jeep with a rocket launcher.
http://olive-drab.com/images/id_mb_w_rocket_f...
Then a gun's task is to kill people without the hassle of using a pike. If I can't play semantics with cars, why can you guys play semantics with guns?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#632028 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:

And if you're saying that is is impossible for anyone to scientifically test for god - then fine - but then you can't call ID a plausible theory.
Ok fine.

Since there isn't way to test life from non-life, it had to be created.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#632029 Jun 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Intent can't be assigned by any one but the owner.
Or all clubs are designed to beat people to death with and
batting balls is a secondary reason.
The fact something is capable of a task, doesn't mean it is it's only or sole task.
Yep, by his logic my machete is guilty by association with my hand.

Location hidden

#632030 Jun 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's task is to move you around without a horse.
But horses and cars can be made into weapons of war.
Enter the mounted Knight and Calvary and the jeep with a rocket launcher.
http://olive-drab.com/images/id_mb_w_rocket_f...
Awesome jeep though.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#632031 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What is more accommodating to revolutionary ideas? Science or religion?
Here's a clue. Religious people believe much the same thing as their ancestors did 1000 years ago. Do scientists?
We do?!

Location hidden

#632032 Jun 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's pure conjecture and you know it.
How is it conjecture? Scientists *do* change their beliefs. If they didn't, we'd be stuck with enlightenment era science, at best. Religious people don't, at least on the big issues. That's why you all believed in jesus 2k years ago and you still do.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#632033 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Um.. the fossils.
The fossils only prove that they are fossils, the rest is speculation.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#632034 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm just saying it's physically possible. My high school wrestling coach was a power lifter in his heyday and could do more than that with a lighter frame.
8 inches? We're on the internet, we all have footlongs here. Don't you?
Lol, I guess I'm behind the times.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#632035 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So.. the guy that shoots himself in the head and survives is looking for attention? Why do you have such a base, black and white view of the world? I'm sure that some people do self harm for attention - but imagine the pain that leads one to consider such a drastic action in the first place. Asking you to empathize with someone might be a long shot though.
Don't be so quick to judge me. I've been there. I knew someone that went through a sudden and cheating divorce and tried to "kill" himself.

In actuality, all he was going was trying to get the attention of his cheating wife that wouldn't return his phone calls.

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Ain't no bitch worth that.

Location hidden

#632036 Jun 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that would be the engine's primary purpose, not the car.
Try again.
If you can boil a gun down to "pushing a projectile through a tube," then why can't I reduce a car to "sending power to the drive train?" That is, after all, what it does, and that's why cars move and are able to transport people. Aren't we ignoring the actual intended purpose of both cars and guns and disingenuously reducing them down to their base functions? Maybe I intend to use my car as a lawn ornament. Who are you to say it's meant to transport me?

Location hidden

#632037 Jun 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you implying that there are no scientists that support and research ID?
O_o
That is what you implied in your post. You said that "scientists are too ignorant to perform god tests." Putting scientists on one side, and those that would perform "god tests" on the other.

And if there are, where's their science? Where's their proof?

To answer your question, there are no ID scientists, by definition. There may be scientists who support ID, but they do not perform ID science. It's not possible.

Location hidden

#632038 Jun 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok fine.
Since there isn't way to test life from non-life, it had to be created.
I didn't say there is no way. There are many ways that the idea itself has been supported, just no definitive proof. The miller urey experiment is the most well known example. Do you have an analogous experiment for god?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#632039 Jun 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Then a gun's task is to kill people without the hassle of using a pike. If I can't play semantics with cars, why can you guys play semantics with guns?
Because you imply an intent that can't be made by anyone but the user. You are now saying a guns primary use is to kill PEOPLE.
Tell that to the thousands of duck hunters and deer hunters ,I'm sure they will agree with you.
Then there are collectors who would never even fire the gun.
As well as you mentioned skeet/clay/bowling pin/ cowboy action shooter etc. No one is denying capability, but you attempt to vilify
an object that has far more uses than the one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Dr_Zorderz 262,065
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min truth 550,776
Before and After 17 min Enter Username 8
little boobs 20 min WasteWater 4
If I had the POWER............ 24 min Enter Username 52
Should Obama Nuke Dallas Texas NOW!! 25 min Enter Username 8
Enslaving Americans....October 27, 2014 26 min Enter Username 11
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 57 min Blk Thndr 602,758
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr bacon hater 96,408
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr Chris Clearwater 174,524

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE