Prove there's a god.
Greens - tuf

Annandale, Australia

#624078 May 16, 2013
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
No god, no heaven, no hell no devil!
So we can cancel them all out, yep, I'm fine with that.
OK, so now what?, and don't say there is nothing, because that would be a very big mistake. We can break you're material body down but we cannot break down you're energy which created you. Where does you're energy go, where does you're inner inertia go ?

Since: May 11

Nottingham, UK

#624079 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care to, unlike you. You really want to be able to prove that God doesn't exist.
Go.
You`re reduced to a `burden of proof fallacy`?

What`s next, Paschals Wager?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#624080 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You still back pedal....
YOU wrote: "Do we have to prove the non-existence of every god who has ever been worshipped or just the one you worship?"
I answered you, I told you that you don't have to prove the non-existence of **every** god, just one.
And you evade, evade, evade.
I know this will come as an extraordinary shock to you, but you don't get to set my schedule of who I answer and when I answer them.

However, since you seem to have an unlimited amount of free time, you should go ahead and prove that any of those thousands of other gods don't exist.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#624081 May 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I know this will come as an extraordinary shock to you, but you don't get to set my schedule of who I answer and when I answer them.
However, since you seem to have an unlimited amount of free time, you should go ahead and prove that any of those thousands of other gods don't exist.
Or else RR could prove that any of those thousands of other gods DO exist if he can't or won't prove that "his" god exists....

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#624082 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Get wet?
Um...
I'm not going there lol.
Chicken…

It’s called the pacific ocean, something that you brought up I believe

#624083 May 16, 2013
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>. Here is an example of science.
You have observed her not taking science seriously (I know, how disgustingly vile) and you have observed that her being facetious about science has not made it go away.
Your scientific conclusion after observing her is ?
She looks stupid.
How is that an example of science?

Nope it’s my personal conclusion after observing psalms 23’s posts over several months is that she looks stupid. The fact that she mocks what is a valid and increasingly popular scientific deduction based on nothing more than her belief that goddidt only adds to my personal conclusion.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#624084 May 16, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Really? Does your god live in Riverside, CA?
Seems to me that such an all powerful god should be able to be proven no matter where.
No, I live in Riverside, you have to come see me so I can show you God.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#624086 May 16, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Countless times. You still haven't provided any proof of the existence of any god.
Yes I have. Anecdotal evidence.

That counts as some proof, so your "any proof" prerequisite is fulfilled.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#624087 May 16, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
You`re reduced to a `burden of proof fallacy`?
What`s next, Paschals Wager?
Nope. I just don't care whether or not leprechauns are real, so I don't bother engaging in that argument.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#624088 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I live in Riverside, you have to come see me so I can show you God.
But your god lives everywhere, right? Why should geographic location have to figure in to you proving there is a god?
xianity is EVIL

Walton, Canada

#624089 May 16, 2013
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so now what?, and don't say there is nothing, because that would be a very big mistake. We can break you're material body down but we cannot break down you're energy which created you. Where does you're energy go, where does you're inner inertia go ?
we get energy from food,

when you stop eating you die,no more energy,get it?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#624090 May 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Your concession is noted.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#624091 May 16, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicken…
It’s called the pacific ocean, something that you brought up I believe
You're humorless, never mind.

#624092 May 16, 2013
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
Out. Away, probably into something else, possibly just out and away.

It seems clear that you have little understanding of the concept of energy.

E=MC^2 says it all

You are a small fraction of the same energy that was created at the very beginning of our universe 13.7 billion years ago. That same energy has been involved in the creation of at least 2 stars, possibly 3 and that same energy will be in existence for at least several trillion years, more likely for infinity.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#624093 May 16, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>But your god lives everywhere, right? Why should geographic location have to figure in to you proving there is a god?
Yes, God is everywhere. But you want **ME** to show you God,**I** don't live everywhere.

If you want me to prove God to you, come to Riverside.

If you want God to prove Himself to you, He can do that in the comfort of your own home.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#624094 May 16, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Out. Away, probably into something else, possibly just out and away.
It seems clear that you have little understanding of the concept of energy.
E=MC^2 says it all
You are a small fraction of the same energy that was created at the very beginning of our universe 13.7 billion years ago. That same energy has been involved in the creation of at least 2 stars, possibly 3 and that same energy will be in existence for at least several trillion years, more likely for infinity.
Is there a "rolls eyes" emoticon?
xianity is EVIL

Walton, Canada

#624095 May 16, 2013
JKX wrote:
<quoted text>
why..
religion

Several weeks ago, a ground-breaking study on religious belief and social well-being was published in the Journal of Religion & Society. Comparing 18 prosperous democracies from the U.S. to New Zealand, author Gregory S Paul quietly demolished the myth that faith strengthens society.

Drawing on a wide range of studies to cross-match faith – measured by belief in God and acceptance of evolution – with homicide and intimate behavior, Paul found that secular societies have lower rates of violence and teenage pregnancy than societies where many people profess belief in God.

Top of the class, in both atheism and good behavior, come the Japanese. Over eighty percent accept evolution and fewer than ten percent are certain that God exists. Despite its size – over a hundred million people – Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

Next in line are the Norwegians, British, Germans and Dutch. At least sixty percent accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity. There is little teenage pregnancy , although the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others. Homicide rates are also low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.

At the other end of the scale comes America. Over 50 percent of Americans believe in God, and only 40 percent accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from the Deity). The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.

All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.

At first glance that is a preposterous suggestion, given that religions preach non-violence and intimate restraint. However, close inspection reveals a different story. Faith tends to weaken rather than strengthen people’s ability to participate in society. That makes it less likely they will respect social customs and laws.

All believers learn that God holds them responsible for their actions. So far so good, but for many, belief absolves them of all other responsibilities. Consciously or subconsciously, those who are "born again" or "chosen" have diminished respect for others who do not share their sect or their faith. Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves.

The more people prioritize themselves rather than those around them, the weaker society becomes and the greater the likelihood of antisocial behavior.
Hence gun laws which encourage Americans to see each other not as fellow human beings who deserve protection, but as potential aggressors who deserve to die.
And hence a health care system which looks after the wealthy rather than the ill.

As for sex… Faith encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior. In other countries, sex education includes contraception, reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancies. Such an approach recognizes that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole.
In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right -- "As a Christian I will only help you if you do what I say". The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

Abstinence programs rest on the same weak intellectual foundation as creationism and intelligent design.
Faith discourages unprejudiced analysis. Reasoning is subverted to rationalization that supports rather than questions assumptions.

http://www.humaniststudies.org/enews/index.ht...

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#624096 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have. Anecdotal evidence.
That counts as some proof, so your "any proof" prerequisite is fulfilled.
Nope- anecdotal evidence is more anecdote than evidence.

"The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.[1][2]

Anecdotal evidence is considered *****dubious support***** of a claim; it is accepted only in lieu of more solid evidence. This is true regardless of the veracity of individual claims.[3][4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_eviden...

Dubious inDEED. And so much so, I will NOT accept it in lieu of more solid evidence.
xianity is EVIL

Walton, Canada

#624097 May 16, 2013
JKX wrote:
<quoted text>
why..
religion

Several weeks ago, a ground-breaking study on religious belief and social well-being was published in the Journal of Religion & Society. Comparing 18 prosperous democracies from the U.S. to New Zealand, author Gregory S Paul quietly demolished the myth that faith strengthens society.

Drawing on a wide range of studies to cross-match faith – measured by belief in God and acceptance of evolution – with homicide and intimate behavior, Paul found that secular societies have lower rates of violence and teenage pregnancy than societies where many people profess belief in God.

Top of the class, in both atheism and good behavior, come the Japanese. Over eighty percent accept evolution and fewer than ten percent are certain that God exists. Despite its size – over a hundred million people – Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

Next in line are the Norwegians, British, Germans and Dutch. At least sixty percent accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity. There is little teenage pregnancy , although the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others. Homicide rates are also low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.

At the other end of the scale comes America. Over 50 percent of Americans believe in God, and only 40 percent accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from the Deity). The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.

All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.

At first glance that is a preposterous suggestion, given that religions preach non-violence and intimate restraint. However, close inspection reveals a different story. Faith tends to weaken rather than strengthen people’s ability to participate in society. That makes it less likely they will respect social customs and laws.

All believers learn that God holds them responsible for their actions. So far so good, but for many, belief absolves them of all other responsibilities. Consciously or subconsciously, those who are "born again" or "chosen" have diminished respect for others who do not share their sect or their faith. Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves.

The more people prioritize themselves rather than those around them, the weaker society becomes and the greater the likelihood of antisocial behavior.
Hence gun laws which encourage Americans to see each other not as fellow human beings who deserve protection, but as potential aggressors who deserve to die.
And hence a health care system which looks after the wealthy rather than the ill.

As for sex… Faith encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior. In other countries, sex education includes contraception, reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancies. Such an approach recognizes that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole.
In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right -- "As a Christian I will only help you if you do what I say". The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

http://www.humaniststudies.org/enews/index.ht...
Funny

United States

#624098 May 16, 2013
Prove there isn't.

The very fact that you are alive and breathing is proof enough of some higher power than us. Evolution makes sense as a means to an end but still doesn't explain the start of all things. Even the big bang doesn't do tat. So what was there to cause the bang?

At the end of the day, we all know there's something. What you choose to call it is up to you. Whether it be ancient aliens (in whch case, who made them), god or whatever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 9 min Seentheotherside 457
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 15 min Scaritual 87,943
Renzenberger : STEALING MILLIONS from their dri... (Feb '15) 38 min rocko 44
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 284,496
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Gods r Delusions ... 665,168
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Peace_Warrior 619,170
isibumbu esimnandi (Feb '15) 2 hr Allstylz 12
The Future of Politics in America 21 hr Insults Are Easier 176
More from around the web