Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#622657 May 9, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your opinion! Prove they conduct their science with a conclusion at the forefront. Unless they say they did...you don't get to decide that.
On Muslims, yes, I would value their opinion. why do think I read through all this foolishness. Outside of the shallow-minded posters...I've learned a great deal. I'm very objective and welcome information from people who believe differently than I do. Only idiots refuse to hear information that doesn't support their own opinion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C reation_science

The whole point of creation science is to prove the bible is correct and that god made everything. This means they start with a conclusion.

This isn't about just conversing with people who believe differently than you. My question was, specifically, would you value the research of a muslim on the specific question of jesus's divinity. His conclusion is set in stone from the beginning, so I have no clue why you would value his "research."

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#622658 May 9, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I did not say it possibly can't, I have no way of knowing that, I am only pointing out the flaw in *your* logic. You suggested that we don't remember our sense of being while asleep simply because we can't record it, and I showed you that a sense of being can persist without a working hippocampus. That's it. So if our sense of being does seem to disappear while we sleep, and we clearly do have the ability to form memories (in the form of dreams), why should our sense of being only appear in short, garbled spurts throughout the night? A man without a hippocampus can self report on his sense of being, but ours just goes away for 8 hrs a night? Shouldn't we pop into our dreams fully lucid?
What does an inert hippocampus have to do with the possibility that the sense of being can always exist? If molecules are aware of themselves then why would they turn off? How can they turn it off? That's why I'm saying it is only our memory (recording device) that gets turned off.

You are assuming that our sense of being is part of our sensory faculties. Like, how can you assume that our sense of being only appears in spurts? You would have to know that our sense of being is no longer present when we 'sleep without dreaming', and you admitted you can't know that.

A dream is an 'event'. Therefore a memory of it is formed. The sense of being may not be an 'event' and therefore does not create a memory and therefore we may have it while we sleep without dreaming. Your hippocampus BS doesn't make any sense.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#622659 May 9, 2013
Bartholomew Oglethorpe wrote:
<quoted text>1. Of course you didn't. That really wasn't the point, though, was it?
2. Evolution has nothing to do with belief. When a word gets coined and is put into use, it begins to appear in dictionaries. Dictionaries only point to usage not veracity. The attempt of Allah Atheists (which all Christians are) to belittle science with such dismissive terms and to pretend that science is based on belief just makes Allah Atheists appear foolish.
3. Bulimics should read your posts. It would save the finger down the throat time.
1. I understood the non-point he was making. I decided to keep it a non-point.

2. Of course evolution takes a bit of belief, to believe something is to accept is as true and is a firmly held opinion. Do you not accept evolution as true? What about ToE?

3. Why do you mock diseased people? I wonder if a freethinker buddy of yours will help you to freethink better.(doubt it)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#622660 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, you said that "homosexuals are forcing ..." you to "accept" them, that's nothing but a catch phrase from many hate speeches, and ignores all the facts and logic. Thus, if it's not hate, you are really stupid.
I do not hate anyone, including homosexuals.

I don't like what's happening in America with the whole "gay movement" thing, but I do nothing to suppress it.

Again, I hate no one.

Are you sure you're not projecting?

Location hidden

#622661 May 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what I don't understand about you freethinkers, you freethought your way to:
"Take a quick stroll through a lunatic asylum.
Every single one of 'em is just as convinced as you are."
...and when asked to provide evidence for your assertion, you call me stupid.
O_o
How is it that you've come to know what "Every single one of 'em" is convinced of?
Why is it that when a theist makes a claim - EVIDENCE IS NEEDED!
But when you freethinking atheists make a claim, it's just supposed to be accepted as fact?
So either you're making shit up and know it.
OR
You know what you're talking about and can provide informed evidence.
Which is it?
It is conceivable that, if we agreed on a set of conditions, it could be proven to you that people with mental illness believe just as strongly as you do. This is the point you seem to always miss - leading you to say absurdly stupid things like "prove you have hands." There is no set of circumstances that anyone could imagine, currently, in which god might be proven to exist. That is the difference.

Anyways, what would you take as proof that those in lunatic asylum believe just as strongly as you do? Self reports? The fact that they refuse to believe they are delusional even in the face of incarceration? Their behavior? Their need for medication? The fact that mental illness exists in the first place? The fact that lives are ruined by delusional thinking? Etc. Etc. Etc. To say that there is no proof that "lunatics" believe strongly in something is to ignore reality.

Btw, I never said "every single one of them" believes as strongly as you do. But I can certainly make the claim that some of them do.

Location hidden

#622662 May 9, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>I really think you're 'Hiding', not that it matters much. You act like 'Hiding', and you wrote, "OK, cool" in one of your recent responses, which I only remember seeing in a 'Hiding' post.'Hiding' has used that exact line a few times before.
That's ok, we don't know what an electron is either; we know a little about how it behaves, and that electrons are assumed to all behave equally under the same conditions, just like you guys.
What are you doing on topix? Go sign up for detective work, colombo, your community needs you! We both said "ok, cool" - a truly stunning observation. A lesser mind may have missed the connection.

Location hidden

#622663 May 9, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>There you go misrepresenting me again. Whatever. So, I suppose it's ok to just skip the part where 'molecules became aware of themselves all of a sudden' and just assume that consciousness is caused by molecules?
What causes a molecule? Some particles? What causes particles? Some energy? What causes energy? What *is* energy? I'll tell ya. It's *something* that is a property of motion. What is 'motion'? That's real specific, huh? Yea we can tell a lot from that, huh?
Yea, unconscious molecules can become aware of themselves. You're a crackpot.
Notice I said "maybe." I don't know if you are intentionally vague or intentionally absurd.

And no, I never said we should "skip that part." I only said that it is unreasonable to demand that I show how consciousness can come from unconsciousness to even suggest that the brain makes thought. As of now, in the absence of any sort evidence for "quantum woo," eternal consciousness, or an afterlife, the only option we have is that consciousness came from unconsciousness.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#622664 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your words prior to this say otherwise.
As usual you remain nonspecific and enigmatic.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#622665 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>Two nurturing parents is superior to suicide by centurion and global genocide.
Um... Ok.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#622666 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>Render unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's. You Allah Athiests are so insecure you had to hijack the cash against the rules of your immoral guidebook. Weird.
I'm not an atheist.

An atheist denies the existence of gods. AANY AND ALL gods.

I believe in one, negating the possibility of me being an atheist.
Bartholomew Oglethorpe

Fort Worth, TX

#622667 May 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Because Bart says so?
HA HA !!!
It don't work that way, dude.
Just because a person talks about homosexuality does not imply that they're homosexual - no more than a person talking about anti-theism makes them a theist.
That's not what I wrote. You are smart enough to know that but dishonest enough to pretend you don't.

Oh, and is not me 'saying' it. Studies, numbnutz. You are so inherently dishonest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sun...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#622668 May 9, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I forgot. You christians are sooo persecuted. Sorry for opening that wound back up.
Nice dodge, way to go. I love it how you condemn me and other Christians for things we don't do and then when you're called out on it you run and hide.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#622669 May 9, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>I respect the fact that you respect science, and i myself have respect for science,like i have said many times they have done many great things to help in the medical fields, Dr, in sickness and disabilties etc etc...

Now thats about as far as i will go, cause i cant bring myself to abandon reality after that point, which would to believe in evolution.
But the medical fields would collapse if evolution weren't true.

Since you approve of medical science in general, ask any doctor if they "believe" in evolution.

Let me know if you find one that doesn't.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#622670 May 9, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No one is "forcing" homosexuality down your kid's throats. That's like saying that when we gave black people equal rights back in the day, we were "forcing blackness" down the throats of all non blacks.
The cross thing is up for courts to decide. If it violates the law, it should go. If it doesn't, I don't care.
You're not with the times, man. THIS is an example of forcing it to my kids:

"Gay History Now Required, by Law, to Be Taught in California Social-Studies Textbooks"

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/07/ga...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#622671 May 9, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>It's a "personal experience fact" and in order for ANYBODY to know God, thats what has to be done "in this life"...

Dont hate the messanger, just the message..

Thought you may like this, dont know if its valid havent really checked into it but anyway. a friend of mine sent it to me on FB, He lives on the Amazon river were i do missionary work, and trust me they have some wierd looking species.

This is what was attached to the photo, ya have to translate it ur self.. This is the only link i found with the same pic.

http://www.google.com/imgres...
Peixe mutante encontrado no dia 31 de março no rio Preto - entre os municípios de Rio Negrinho e Mafra-SC deixou perplexos pescadores. Segundo o pescador e professor Josef W., essa mutação deve-se aos agrotóxicos. O peixe foi enviado para exame ictiopatológico em São Paulo. Fonte: Jornal A Opinião, 12 de abril 2013
Looks fake to me.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#622672 May 9, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes! Beyond a shadow of a doubt, i am 100% sure with "MY personal experience" He exist to me.....

I am solid as a rock on that statement...
Bummer.

Location hidden

#622673 May 9, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>What does an inert hippocampus have to do with the possibility that the sense of being can always exist? If molecules are aware of themselves then why would they turn off? How can they turn it off? That's why I'm saying it is only our memory (recording device) that gets turned off.
You are assuming that our sense of being is part of our sensory faculties. Like, how can you assume that our sense of being only appears in spurts? You would have to know that our sense of being is no longer present when we 'sleep without dreaming', and you admitted you can't know that.
A dream is an 'event'. Therefore a memory of it is formed. The sense of being may not be an 'event' and therefore does not create a memory and therefore we may have it while we sleep without dreaming. Your hippocampus BS doesn't make any sense.
You're missing the point. If a man without a hippocampus has a sense of being even in the absence of the ability to form long term memories, then I see no reason why we shouldn't have a sense of being while sleeping (if being is eternal), especially considering we *do* have the ability to form long term memories. What I'm saying is: not having a hippocampus clearly does not "shut off" our sense of being, so your claim that we simply "can't remember" our sense of being is fallacious, since we do have the ability to record memories during sleep. There's no reason why we shouldn't remember our nights and be lucid in every dream, unless we are in fact unconscious. Stop it with that "event" crap. Why should our sense of being only be active when an "event" happens? And if this is true, and a dream is an "event," then why is our sense of being so garbled and sometimes not even present during dreams?
Bartholomew Oglethorpe

United States

#622674 May 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I understood the non-point he was making. I decided to keep it a non-point.
2. Of course evolution takes a bit of belief, to believe something is to accept is as true and is a firmly held opinion. Do you not accept evolution as true? What about ToE?
3. Why do you mock diseased people? I wonder if a freethinker buddy of yours will help you to freethink better.(doubt it)
1. No you didn't.

2. No, it doesn't. Science has nothing to do with belief.

3. I was mocking you, dimwit.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#622675 May 9, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, this god that used to walk around, burn bushes, order and commit genocide couldn't possibly avail itself of modern technology. Although, oddly, it does appear on toast, taco chips, and highway underpasses.
You forgot thermopane windows.
Bartholomew Oglethorpe

United States

#622676 May 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not an atheist.
An atheist denies the existence of gods. AANY AND ALL gods.
I believe in one, negating the possibility of me being an atheist.
There is more than one definition of the word, like most others. You are an Allah Atheist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Catholic Girl 558,863
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min Dr_Zorderz 264,983
The World Will End On May 21, 2011 (Aug '08) 11 min traumutiz3d 16,449
2.Ulus Profilo Ortaky Balmumcu 299 I5 34 PROF... 16 min tenzanen 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 18 min Lyndi 175,513
bless the jews (Nov '08) 22 min torah for today 7,054
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 32 min GodFreeByChoice 5,705
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 604,744
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr Dolphin 441,751
More from around the web