Prove there's a god.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#621871 May 7, 2013
Why do you need proof that there is a God? What's the point? Would you live your life differently if you had indisputable proof? If He stood in front of you and said, I am the real deal, you would probably say you were hallucinating? When you can only think with a closed mind it is nearly impossible to believe in someone greater than us who could have no beginning or end. People in general scoff at that which they cannot comprehend. I think the universe is too large for anyone to know for sure who or what "God" could possibly be. How does not believing make one's life better? At least for those that have faith and believe that there is a heaven out there and hope to go there when they die. To me it’s pretty sad to believe that "man” is the best thing this universe has to offer.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#621872 May 7, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
Why do you need proof that there is a God? What's the point? Would you live your life differently if you had indisputable proof? If He stood in front of you and said, I am the real deal, you would probably say you were hallucinating? When you can only think with a closed mind it is nearly impossible to believe in someone greater than us who could have no beginning or end. People in general scoff at that which they cannot comprehend. I think the universe is too large for anyone to know for sure who or what "God" could possibly be. How does not believing make one's life better? At least for those that have faith and believe that there is a heaven out there and hope to go there when they die. To me it’s pretty sad to believe that "man” is the best thing this universe has to offer.
when your mind is too open, anyone can pass by and toss in any old garbage they want. When your mind is too closed, you will refuse to admit when you don't know. Religious people are the contradiction that holds both these positions simultaneously, too open, someone tossed in a myth and they just accept it without question, yet too closed to admit that their myth has no evidence supporting it. You decry people who doubt that your imaginary friend rules the universe, because that imaginary friend is actually an extension of you, but you have had your head filled with a delusion so you cannot see it, or you are too arrogant to admit it. Either way, you look the fool to intelligent people because of it.

Anyhow, your first point, yes, it would make a difference. If there was any evidence supporting a specific god, us atheists would change, most of us would no longer be atheists, others would search for other gods just to know if they exist, and us skeptics would likely want that god to be clear .... is he really the monster described in the "holy books" or are these not his real followers?

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#621873 May 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
when your mind is too open, anyone can pass by and toss in any old garbage they want. When your mind is too closed, you will refuse to admit when you don't know. Religious people are the contradiction that holds both these positions simultaneously, too open, someone tossed in a myth and they just accept it without question, yet too closed to admit that their myth has no evidence supporting it. You decry people who doubt that your imaginary friend rules the universe, because that imaginary friend is actually an extension of you, but you have had your head filled with a delusion so you cannot see it, or you are too arrogant to admit it. Either way, you look the fool to intelligent people because of it.
Anyhow, your first point, yes, it would make a difference. If there was any evidence supporting a specific god, us atheists would change, most of us would no longer be atheists, others would search for other gods just to know if they exist, and us skeptics would likely want that god to be clear .... is he really the monster described in the "holy books" or are these not his real followers?
Well put.

The world is just a myriad of truths and mystery, each of which is specific to the person who is observing them. Much of one’s knowledge/beliefs are “provisionally true”. True enough for practical purposes, but subject to revision if something new comes along. Many act as if they have absolute truth and facts in their hands, when what they actually have are "useful truths and facts". Things they know well enough to hold/have practical value.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#621874 May 7, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Well put.
The world is just a myriad of truths and mystery, each of which is specific to the person who is observing them. Much of one’s knowledge/beliefs are “provisionally true”. True enough for practical purposes, but subject to revision if something new comes along. Many act as if they have absolute truth and facts in their hands, when what they actually have are "useful truths and facts". Things they know well enough to hold/have practical value.
As far as we know though, there is no such thing as "absolute" anything. That's the flaw in the presumption of their being a god without questioning the intent of the one telling you this. But practical value is of utmost importance because it's what has served us, thus practical truths are of greater value to us, they have not let us down as yet. But for all things accepted, there should be evidence, even a small amount, that hold up to even minimal scrutiny. As they often say, reality is a most grand and strange place, anyone who would want to avoid it must be insane.

Thanks for the compliment, I like your word style and linguistic patterns, very artistic and yet also intelligent.
Greens - tuf

Northmead, Australia

#621875 May 7, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
You just gotta love the Ford Mustang !!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#621876 May 7, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>The Second Law of thermodynamics applies to all systems, open or closed. The law states, that "the entropy of an "isolated" system does not decrease". It doesn't say "closed". In the natural sciences an isolated system is a physical system without any external exchange – neither matter nor energy can enter or exit, but can only move around inside. Truly isolated systems cannot exist in nature. The Second Law prohibits any functioning biological mechanism from falling together by pure chance, without assistance or plan, using only the properties of matter.

I'm neither uneducated nor a liar.

That was a typo...my mistake. I meant to type Abiogenesis. Shall I quote that? Doubt it...surely you realize...it doesn't happen.

I supplied a link re: chromosome 2 that provides excellent scientific data ( http://creation.com/chromosome-2-fusion-2 )...if you're too closed minded to read it or simply fear you don't possess the intelligence to argue it...then that isn't my problem.
Apologist sites ALWAYS lie.

Always.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#621877 May 7, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>If it were "fully" accepted...then how do you explain the billions of people who still believe in God or a god? Karl...try to at least be realistic here.
Many religious people are at least smart enough to know that the evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

You're not one of them.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#621878 May 7, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, obviously if billions don't agree, there is some degree of controversy. According to a worldwide census, only 14.09% of the people in the world are non-religious and 12.48% are classified as "other". I'll give or take a few of the religious and say some believe God or a god used evolution as a means of creation, but for the most part...regardless of what the scientific crowd or atheist choose to believe...when discussing the TOE as it relates to the evolution of man...there is definitely controversy.
That turns out not to be the case.

The point was evolution - a matter upon which even the vast majority of Christians agree.

Indeed, the only ones who seem to disagree are a small minority of mostly American Fundamentalists.

This is distressing.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#621879 May 7, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were "fully" accepted...then how do you explain the billions of people who still believe in God or a god? Karl...try to at least be realistic here.
Belief in a deity does not preclude understanding of evolution.

For most people.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#621880 May 7, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were "fully" accepted...then how do you explain the billions of people who still believe in God or a god? Karl...try to at least be realistic here.
You're not very realistic if you think one can't believe in a god AND accept the fact of evolution.

One does not have to exclude the other.

Have you not considered that there are those who believe in a god and who also believe that it was a god who allowed for evolution to take place?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#621881 May 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If all atheists and agnostics were to leave the U.S., 98 percent of the members of the Academy of Sciences, and two percent of the prison population, would be gone.
Odin willing...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#621882 May 7, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
ToE is fully accepted, no research is required for veracity.
God is fully accepted, no research is required for veracity.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#621883 May 7, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
schools have an obligation to protect minor children from filth
You have to register, huh?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#621884 May 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I normally do not dig at old wounds, so if you do not wish to continue with what I am about to point out, I will understand.
However, how do you know that it was the surgery that killed her and not complications unrelated to the surgery? There are a thousand ways in which the body can "just so suddenly die," and surgery doesn't always help, many complications that are attributed to surgery by the patients or other people are also often unrelated.
They performed surgery on her left lung knowing full well that her right lung had collapsed a few days before the surgery.

The left lung couldn't do anything and the right lung was working at a minimal level.

I'm no surgeon and I know that's risky. Why didn't they?

A: Because they're "doctors". They trust science.

And they want their payday. F_ckers charged $225,000 for an 11 day stay.

It's the medical "industry" at it's finest.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#621885 May 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Ridiculas?
Totly

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#621886 May 7, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I hear a lot of stories like that. Some doctors are useless sacks of drug addicted dog shyt.
Yup. They're in business to make money, not to heal.

The Hippocratic oath should be changed to the hypocrite oath.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#621887 May 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no good evidence for God....in fact there is no evidence at all for God.
Maybe to you, scooter. But just because you're ignorant of God doesn't mean He's not real.

I'm ignorant of your love for your mother. So according to your logic, you don't love your mom - there's no evidence.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#621888 May 7, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>You're not very realistic if you think one can't believe in a god AND accept the fact of evolution.
One does not have to exclude the other.
Have you not considered that there are those who believe in a god and who also believe that it was a god who allowed for evolution to take place?
It's an interesting debate.

"About a third of Americans believe that humans evolved, but with God's guidance; 15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process."

https://www.google.com/search...

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#621889 May 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referring to every single doctor in every single field of medicine?

Because if you are, you couldn't be more wrong or more guilty of totally ridiculous and unfounded stereotyping.

Sure- there are some lousy doctors out there; however, those doctors are definitely outnumbered by the many GOOD doctors and health care practitioners who actually do heal and who actually do save lives.

And in medicine- as in every profession- there are going to be some who shouldn't be in whatever their profession is either due to incompetence, lack of skills, abilities or caring.

But to make the blanket statement you did- no basis for it.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#621890 May 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I meant to add the following:

If your mother-in-law had lived and was in great health and great shape, would you then say that "they" are all wonderful and that "they" are all in business to heal?

Probably not- so why assume that a few bad apples spoil the entire bunch?

Like pretty much everyone else, I've been treated by some great doctors and treated by some not so great doctors.

That doesn't mean the entire medical profession is in business to make money- it just means that like in every single group of people there are some bad along with the good.

Try not to be so quick to throw out the baby with the bath water, RR.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min truth 665,622
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 25 min truth 88,545
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min AussieBobby 284,735
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 1 hr truth 722
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr Brian_G 980
Which team will win today : Manchester United o... 1 hr khaledov 1
How To Make Money From Hosting Travelers By Airbnb 2 hr khaledov 1
The Future of Politics in America 3 hr River Tam 313
More from around the web