|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>How so? You think that you were telling me anything new by claiming that human beings have biases? So what? That's what the scientific method is for - to remove bias and human error.
This is what is happening:
you - Scientists are ebilll! They stealz our tax dollars to research the debils evolution! They all work together to lie to us! Jeebus!
me - proof?
you - you're so blind to jeebus!
(to remove bias and ''human'' error?) Wow, so you really think ''science'' can have no human error?

rotflmao....

No dimwit. Telling you that scientist of evolution have a bias against creationist..

Tell us, what would happen to all the jobs of the scientist who are studying evolution and transitional fossils, fish to bird, ape to man, etc etc,,, IF they were to admitt God created this world???

Oh, and here is you a fast way to make $10,000... since you think ''science'' can remove human error...lolol

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/27/cr...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
(to remove bias and ''human'' error?) Wow, so you really think ''science'' can have no human error?
rotflmao....
No dimwit. Telling you that scientist of evolution have a bias against creationist..
Tell us, what would happen to all the jobs of the scientist who are studying evolution and transitional fossils, fish to bird, ape to man, etc etc,,, IF they were to admitt God created this world???
Oh, and here is you a fast way to make $10,000... since you think ''science'' can remove human error...lolol
I didn't say it removes it completely, I said that is it's purpose, and it does a very good job of keeping people honest.

Why would they admit god created the world? There is no evidence for it. And again, why do you set up religion so as to be diametrically opposed to science? If we accept a creator, does that mean we have to stop searching for knowledge? That shows how you think. God is a free pass for you to turn off your brain.

Did you really link to glenn beck's site? After a cursory examination of the "challenge," it appears this guy wants someone to prove creation didn't happen. As we all (should) know, it is impossible to prove a negative. Stop being stupid. You fell for a publicity stunt.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
rotflmao....
The scientific method does remove bias, the Catholic church developed it just for that reason. Many times the Genesis fable has been demonstrated incorrect, but your creationist dishonestly discounts it.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>In the case of atheists, they do not care about facts or reason. They are here to put on the illusion that they have won something. When you create a circle for them, they do not know what to do.
They actually create the circle themselves because they don't know how to admit an obvious truth that is distasteful to them. But yea, I hear ya.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

who="Cathcher1"]Hey, when you play ball(s), you can have fun with no risk.

When we play ball, we are at serious risk of terrible pain.

With proper design, you would still have something to play with, and we would be far safer.
Well, you know, problem with that is that everyone has a different opinion of "proper" or perfect design. How would you ever get your balls played with then?:)

And more importantly, why would you assume that God would make something "perfect" anyway? Maybe this is just the way it is meant to be, for whatever reason it is meant to be?

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, everything is. The problem is you are conceptualizing evolution as having a "goal" or a specific form it is striving towards. That's not how it works. Every species becomes the transitional form of some future species. We are the transitional form of future hominids.
And how, pray tell, did you arrive at this conclusion about me? I assure you, I am not "conceptualizing evolution as having a "goal" or a specific form it is striving towards." That's an absurd assumption on your part. <shakes head> Sorry Timn, you definitely have that wrong.
youtube

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
Circumcision
I guess I agree that babies should be left alone regarding that. But me personally; I'm glad I got it cut off. It's too weird to have that, IMO. Still I guess it would be better to wait and let the man as an adult make that decision for himself.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
Tired of this. Thanks for the conversation, but we've been going in circles for a while now. My only point is that if you require a mechanism for consciousness from non-consciousness before we can infer meaning from the apparent brain/thought connection, you might as well demand a similar mechanism for everything else for which we have no explanation, therefore ruling out any current observations. That, to me, makes no sense. It's technically true, but I think it's prudent to go with what we have rather than what we might have someday.
Yea me too. We've only been going in circles because you refuse to admit that science cannot make a statement such that consciousness is more likely a molecular phenomenon than a quantum one. It's a fact yet you insist it isn't. And if you say you do not insist on that, then there is no argument at all here. Like you're just playing word games.

You keep saying it is "prudent to go with what we have" yet we have nothing on a mechanism for consciousness. All we have is association of molecules. So hopefully this merry go round is over, you can think what you want. You're not the only one that doesn't understand the point I am making, even though it is pretty simple to understand.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
And how, pray tell, did you arrive at this conclusion about me? I assure you, I am not "conceptualizing evolution as having a "goal" or a specific form it is striving towards." That's an absurd assumption on your part. <shakes head> Sorry Timn, you definitely have that wrong.
Sorry, then, but that's what it sounded like. It seems to me that you have trouble accepting that everything is a transitional fossil because you want to be able to point to one specific species as being "in between" ape and man (as if man is the 'endpoint'), when that's not how it works. Everything is constantly transitioning to something else. Sorry that I got the wrong impression.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you know, problem with that is that everyone has a different opinion of "proper" or perfect design. How would you ever get your balls played with then?:)
And more importantly, why would you assume that God would make something "perfect" anyway? Maybe this is just the way it is meant to be, for whatever reason it is meant to be?
I don't know, maybe a retractable titanium shell around our special parts? That would do just fine. Having the most sensitive part of our body jutting out from the front doesn't make much sense.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Yea me too. We've only been going in circles because you refuse to admit that science cannot make a statement such that consciousness is more likely a molecular phenomenon than a quantum one. It's a fact yet you insist it isn't. And if you say you do not insist on that, then there is no argument at all here. Like you're just playing word games.
You keep saying it is "prudent to go with what we have" yet we have nothing on a mechanism for consciousness. All we have is association of molecules. So hopefully this merry go round is over, you can think what you want. You're not the only one that doesn't understand the point I am making, even though it is pretty simple to understand.
I understand the point you are trying to make, and I do not agree with it. I have tried to explain my position with the gravity analogy I kept referring to, which prompted you to say "well, we really can't say mass has anything to do with gravity since we don't know it's mechanism."

That's lunacy. Gravity exists where there is mass. Thought exists where there is brain. It might be wrong to assume they have anything to do with each other, but it certainly seems they are related. That is "what we have."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
The hardware pretty clearly is not turned off while we sleep. The brain is very active at all stages of sleep. And yes, there kind of is a "half ass mode" that occurs during sleep. The brain functions on different wavelengths.
So be it. Why then do we experience a mode where there is no memory? Something must be "shut off". Obviously the sleep state is different from the wake state. Still, my explanation for why we 'have no memory of sleep but retain the sense of being in the present' is very plausible. And still neither of us can say our belief is more plausible than the other.
I think dreaming supports my position anyway - that the brain can create experience out of whole cloth with no corresponding "reality" to draw from seems a pretty clear indicator that the brain is responsible for thought.
Again, you can *believe* what you want but don't say that science can ever make a statement that your belief is more likely than consciousness from a quantum source.

This provides no evidence that the brain is or isn't a hardware device that is a "medium" for consciousness.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Yea me too. We've only been going in circles because you refuse to admit that science cannot make a statement such that consciousness is more likely a molecular phenomenon than a quantum one. It's a fact yet you insist it isn't. And if you say you do not insist on that, then there is no argument at all here. Like you're just playing word games.
Ahaha. I'm really starting to think you're right that someone follows you around giving you bad judgeits. I've never seen someone get so many negatives so fast. I mean, I don't agree with you, but there are certainly more offensive posters than you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Looks like someone at topix arranged for me to get instant negative judicons. No one could have done it that fast. What a bunch of immature BS. Whatever. Like it matters anyway.

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What "kind" are trilobites?
Trilobites are some of the earliest "kinds" of sea crustaceans and other hard-shelled water creatures.

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but the crocoduck would falsify most of the theory of evolution, not support it.
Crocoduck?! Hell naw, hahaha!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Pokay wrote:
Looks like someone at topix arranged for me to get instant negative judicons. No one could have done it that fast. What a bunch of immature BS. Whatever. Like it matters anyway.
Woah there. Reign it in there cowboy.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say it removes it completely, I said that is it's purpose, and it does a very good job of keeping people honest.
Why would they admit god created the world? There is no evidence for it. And again, why do you set up religion so as to be diametrically opposed to science? If we accept a creator, does that mean we have to stop searching for knowledge? That shows how you think. God is a free pass for you to turn off your brain.
Did you really link to glenn beck's site? After a cursory examination of the "challenge," it appears this guy wants someone to prove creation didn't happen. As we all (should) know, it is impossible to prove a negative. Stop being stupid. You fell for a publicity stunt.
Just answer the question, and stop running from it...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>So be it. Why then do we experience a mode where there is no memory? Something must be "shut off". Obviously the sleep state is different from the wake state. Still, my explanation for why we 'have no memory of sleep but retain the sense of being in the present' is very plausible. And still neither of us can say our belief is more plausible than the other.
<quoted text>Again, you can *believe* what you want but don't say that science can ever make a statement that your belief is more likely than consciousness from a quantum source.
This provides no evidence that the brain is or isn't a hardware device that is a "medium" for consciousness.
I suppose it's because the parts of the brain required for our sense of being are less active while sleeping. If consciousness were ethereal, why would it "shut off" during sleep, and why would it return in sporadic, sometimes inexplicable forms during dreams? I've never claimed to know exactly how our sense of being comes from the brain, just that it appears to do so.

Ok. To prove that the brain is *not* a medium for some magical consciousness is not possible.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

743 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min Charlie Sheen 256,487
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 12 min andet1987 3,954
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min Chess 532,712
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 15 min meman 115,062
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 17 min Aura Mytha 224,164
Why was the cities of sodom and gomorrah burnt ... 23 min andet1987 12
Perfect Body Balance! 26 min Dr_Eagle 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Lost In Transition 172,364
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 2 hr bRB 74
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••