|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I know what a confirmation bias is, but thanks.
Oh?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I say you use confirmatory bias because you do.
Where? When?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Not only do you favor the evidence that supports your hypothesis/theory/belief that there are No deities, but you misrepresent the opposing evidence or even the people that argue in favor of the side you oppose.
Says you. I say you're wrong. You present no argument, so why should I?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But you have a confirmation bias, Tide. Why can't you see that?
You're telling me that I have a confirmation bias, yet you can't identify it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Theists are immoral. Theists deny evolution. Hitler was a theist. Theists donít understand science. Theists donít understand atheists... Etc.
How ironic. Your next statement here applies to what you just did.

Those are not my positions, dolt.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your misrepresentations are many because of your preexisting confirmation biases.
My opinions are rationally derived.

Why can't you accept that?

Is it too uncomfortable?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Uh huh....
It goes both ways, man.
Once a person has believes religion is false, and builds a system of beliefs in their mind, they have a confirmation bias, so all the learning they do will likely support their beliefs, unless they can discard their faith.
It does not go both ways, man.

Lacking a belief, or even rejecting a belief, is not the same as adopting a belief. No faith is required. No bias is required. Only skepticism is required.

You're just childishly turning my arguments around against me.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Some people's minds are so entrenched in their belief that there is no God, nothing will change their mind. Even if God Himself *poofed* in next to you, you'd probably call it a hallucination or alien invasion or something.
I would entertain countless possible explanations, in any scenario, before believing an impossible explanation.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's your biblical ignorance and your confirmation bias talking...
Or yours.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible says God will judge all people righteously. There will be a stricter judgment for people that have rejected Jesus than those who have never heard of Him.
Paul tells us that those who have never heard of the law are not attributed to sin under the law.
The people who have never heard of the law are judged by the law of God which He has placed into their hearts:
Romans 2:14-16
14 Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.
15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.
16 This will take place on the day when God judges peopleís secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
Is this an argument that the God character never tortures a single person for an eternity? It doesn't look like it.

Eternal punishment negates justice, love, and mercy.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Is it? Because you 'told me'?
What statistical analyses have you done on God?
None.

I said my opinion on gods is based on statistical analysis.

My conclusion regarding your specific god, that you call God, is based on the Bible and logic. I didn't need a statistical analysis for that one.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What data have you collected on God, how was it interpreted, who did the collecting and how was it organized?
If you're gonna make that kind of claim, "it's based on statistical analysis", Ima hold your feet to the fire....
Well, it would help if you got it right.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Or yours.
<quoted text>
Is this an argument that the God character never tortures a single person for an eternity? It doesn't look like it.
Eternal punishment negates justice, love, and mercy.
"The doctrine of eternal punishment is in perfect harmony with the savagery of the men who made the orthodox creeds. It is in harmony with torture, with flaying alive, and with burnings. The men who burned their fellow-men for a moment, believed that God would burn his enemies forever."ó Robert Green Ingersoll, "Crumbling Creeds."

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"The doctrine of eternal punishment is in perfect harmony with the savagery of the men who made the orthodox creeds. It is in harmony with torture, with flaying alive, and with burnings. The men who burned their fellow-men for a moment, believed that God would burn his enemies forever."ó Robert Green Ingersoll, "Crumbling Creeds."
We can only think that we no longer can even come close to understanding how savage men were 4,000 years ago, with little recourse of punishment of crimes by men who caught others in crimes
and with little justice in the world. I suppose they needed to instill some kind of fear in men to stop him from being the savages, we know he can be even now. Look at how the world would be today with little chance or your being caught in crimes by fingerprints, DNA, video, and little to no long range communications, communication even over short range limited,
no knowledge of blood types no microscopes no technology to thwart crime.

Even today men knowing these things can become a savage monster with little care of consequences.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a hunch you haven't truly sought out true and satisfying answers to the nature of the world you live in.
I have, but not through your eyes and mind set. I set and gaze at the beauty that springs forth this time of year, and in the fall with all its colors as well. And just try to comprehend the power and force and the love and compassion He has for us, that he would Create such a beautiful place for us to dwell in for a short time.
The bible holds no satisfying answers for me.
Your choice, your right.
I don't know what will happen to me after I die, but I suspect it will be much like before I was born.
I'm trying to learn and enjoy THIS life and have as little negative impact on the world and people around me as I can.
And where possible I try to have a positive impact.
If your god doesn't like that, tough shit.
Happy trails..

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, boooots, but given what you rightly say about the lack of working brain cells within RR, I don't think he understands much of anything at all.
At any rate, you may be detecting considerably more frustration than I am actually feeling.
That being said, I have a very low tolerance for willful ignorance and intellectual laziness such as RR constantly indulges in and displays for all to see.
Yes, I do too, which is why I attempt to not post to him.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
When we think, we can see increased blood flow to the appropriate area of the brain, increased synaptic activity in the appropriate area of the brain, etc.
Please consider this.

Part of the problem is likely to be that most people believe we are unconscious when we sleep (in the absence of dreaming). Most of us can agree that the hardware is turned off in this case. But there are many angles here. First, ask yourself this. What's different about brain activity while dreaming versus while awake? Is there some kind of 'half-@$$ mode' of hardware function that allows for dreaming?

What I'm saying is if we are "unconscious" when we sleep then how can we experience conscious phenomenon in the form of dreams? Could it be that a quantumly rooted consciousness is causing the dreams? Molecules would be involved either way. You have association of molecules whether consciousness is quantum or molecular.

Who says we are not conscious while sleeping? We may not be aware of what happens around us but who's to say whether we are not aware of our being in the present? We can't even prove it to ourselves because it is beyond our means. As I've postulated so many times,'just being' is not an "event", therefore there is no memory of it, and therefore, when we wake, it only *seems* like we have been unconscious because there is no memory of our "being" while sleeping.

Even while awake, can you remember your sense of being from a day ago? An hour ago? A minute ago? You know what it feels like to be "alive" but you can't remember your actual 'sense of being' because there is no memory of it unless we can associate an event with that timeframe. An event like sudden onset of puking your guts out, or from a case of the runs.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not go both ways, man.
Yes it does. Everything does. Equal and opposite, man.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

My Portal wrote:
<quoted text>I find it quit interesting that those on the left do everything they can to besmerch those that believe, and then have the gall to support a President that goes to an Abortion rally and closes by saying MAY GOD BLESS YOU. I thought he would make a good replacement for Letterman.
So you buy into any conspiracy nonsense as long as it gives you justification to hate someone.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
Lacking a belief, or even rejecting a belief, is not the same as adopting a belief. No faith is required. No bias is required. Only skepticism is required.
You *believe* consciousness is a product of the molecules that make up our brain. There is no evidence to support a mechanism for consciousness therefore it can only be a belief. Where's your "skepticism" on that one?

You *believe* that consciousness came into being rather than always being in existence. You have no way of knowing whether it is a quantum phenomenon that could co exist with a big bang. And even if it wasn't of quantum origin, you have no way of knowing the extent of 'existence' in which consciousness or 'life as we know it' could have been coexisting with the events we believe to have taken place.

You *believe* that what we experience is a "first order" reality and not, on some level, an illusion. And even without any of that, there is no absolute knowledge, so pretty much everything is a belief.

Besides all that, why do you guys insist that you hold no beliefs when it's so obvious that you actually believe there is no higher power. If you were truly neutral you wouldn't belittle the idea so much.
you wrote:
I would entertain countless possible explanations, in any scenario, before believing an impossible explanation.
Does that sound like someone that lacks a belief on the subject? Sounds to me like you believe it is impossible for a higher power to exist.
youtube

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
We can only think that we no longer can even come close to understanding how savage men were 4,000 years ago, with little recourse of punishment of crimes by men who caught others in crimes
and with little justice in the world. I suppose they needed to instill some kind of fear in men to stop him from being the savages, we know he can be even now. Look at how the world would be today with little chance or your being caught in crimes by fingerprints, DNA, video, and little to no long range communications, communication even over short range limited,
no knowledge of blood types no microscopes no technology to thwart crime.
Even today men knowing these things can become a savage monster with little care of consequences.
"We?" I think for myself and you are full of crap.

“talk to the kitteh”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Being able to see electrical activity in the brain does not prove that consciousness is molecular, only that the body reacts to consciousness.

http://www.livescience.com/7799-strange-human...

The rest of the body lights up too. Each of us, including the newly conceived, have a unique electromagnetic wave, a signature, that remains in the universe forever...somewhere. Every wave evolves into another waveform, forever, or at least as long as the universe does. At one time the existence of atoms were only an intuition that later proved a truth, a reality. I suspect we are very close to learning what form our waves evolve into after death. Our curiosity and imaginations don't allow us to ignore the arcane for long.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you buy into any conspiracy nonsense as long as it gives you justification to hate someone.
I find it interesting that there are those who would believe that just because a president says: "May god bless you" they take that to mean that the president is religious or that those who are not religious can't/shouldn't support a president who is.

Even if Obama is religious, he doesn't use his religious beliefs to govern.

I don't support- or not support- a president based on whatever his religious beliefs are and in Obama's case, there is not a lot out there about what he believes and how religious he is or not.

Regardless, using an expression such as "May god bless you" is not indicative of how religious someone is and even if that is an indicator that Obama is religious, I see no reason why that would make a difference to those who support him who do not believe in a god.

But I suspect that if a president came out and said he was an atheist, those on the religious right would find that enough reason to have no support for the president- regardless of how good a politician he might be and regardless of how good a President he might be.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
Being able to see electrical activity in the brain does not prove that consciousness is molecular, only that the body reacts to consciousness.
http://www.livescience.com/7799-strange-human...
The rest of the body lights up too. Each of us, including the newly conceived, have a unique electromagnetic wave, a signature, that remains in the universe forever...somewhere. Every wave evolves into another waveform, forever, or at least as long as the universe does. At one time the existence of atoms were only an intuition that later proved a truth, a reality. I suspect we are very close to learning what form our waves evolve into after death. Our curiosity and imaginations don't allow us to ignore the arcane for long.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...
You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

And at one point you'd hope that the physicist would step down from the pulpit and walk to your brokenhearted spouse there in the pew and tell him that all the photons that ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths were interrupted by your smile, by the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, have raced off like children, their ways forever changed by you. And as your widow rocks in the arms of a loving family, may the physicist let her know that all the photons that bounced from you were gathered in the particle detectors that are her eyes, that those photons created within her constellations of electromagnetically charged neurons whose energy will go on forever.

And the physicist will remind the congregation of how much of all our energy is given off as heat. There may be a few fanning themselves with their programs as he says it. And he will tell them that the warmth that flowed through you in life is still here, still part of all that we are, even as we who mourn continue the heat of our own lives.

And you'll want the physicist to explain to those who loved you that they need not have faith; indeed, they should not have faith. Let them know that they can measure, that scientists have measured precisely the conservation of energy and found it accurate, verifiable and consistent across space and time. You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they'll be comforted to know your energy's still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you're just less orderly. Amen.

“talk to the kitteh”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...
You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.
And at one point you'd hope that the physicist would step down from the pulpit and walk to your brokenhearted spouse there in the pew and tell him that all the photons that ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths were interrupted by your smile, by the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, have raced off like children, their ways forever changed by you. And as your widow rocks in the arms of a loving family, may the physicist let her know that all the photons that bounced from you were gathered in the particle detectors that are her eyes, that those photons created within her constellations of electromagnetically charged neurons whose energy will go on forever.
And the physicist will remind the congregation of how much of all our energy is given off as heat. There may be a few fanning themselves with their programs as he says it. And he will tell them that the warmth that flowed through you in life is still here, still part of all that we are, even as we who mourn continue the heat of our own lives.
And you'll want the physicist to explain to those who loved you that they need not have faith; indeed, they should not have faith. Let them know that they can measure, that scientists have measured precisely the conservation of energy and found it accurate, verifiable and consistent across space and time. You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they'll be comforted to know your energy's still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you're just less orderly. Amen.
Only if it makes them feel better. ;)

I'm unsure exactly who in my family has religious faith or truly believes that people can live again in another form. Some say they do but I suspect that much of that may only be superstitious lip-service instigated by guilt or fear...like insurance.

“talk to the kitteh”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>You *believe* consciousness is a product of the molecules that make up our brain. There is no evidence to support a mechanism for consciousness therefore it can only be a belief. Where's your "skepticism" on that one?
You *believe* that consciousness came into being rather than always being in existence. You have no way of knowing whether it is a quantum phenomenon that could co exist with a big bang. And even if it wasn't of quantum origin, you have no way of knowing the extent of 'existence' in which consciousness or 'life as we know it' could have been coexisting with the events we believe to have taken place.
You *believe* that what we experience is a "first order" reality and not, on some level, an illusion. And even without any of that, there is no absolute knowledge, so pretty much everything is a belief.
Besides all that, why do you guys insist that you hold no beliefs when it's so obvious that you actually believe there is no higher power. If you were truly neutral you wouldn't belittle the idea so much.
<quoted text>Does that sound like someone that lacks a belief on the subject? Sounds to me like you believe it is impossible for a higher power to exist.
Apparently, he believes it is up to him to decide what is impossible. Not much free-thinking there.
YTubeVID

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

R A P T U R E : Who goes?...Who stays?

http://youtu.be/LVvXgkOK-84

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 589,181 - 589,200 of719,945
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

397 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min confrinting with the word 532,269
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min Aura Mytha 256,350
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min Buck Crick 223,996
Tony Dungy was right 21 min dirty white boy- 11
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 37 min Naveen kumar 4,454
The world can't deny the REALITY of the Europea... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Clearwater 172,193
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 hr RATTYslayer 114,939
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••