Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#620220 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, that's a nice opinion.
It's funny how atheists always think themselves smarter amd superior to us lowly theists.
Of course without any reason, logic, or evidence...
<quoted text>
HA! You did not just go there, did you?
The founding fathers wanted the separation so they'd be free to practice their religion.
They held Congress in a church, wanna go back to that?
<quoted text>
"shouldn't be"? Why not? It's not illegal...
<quoted text>
No, but I wouldn't persecute it either. If that's what the majority wants, so be it.
<quoted text>
I absolutely is an attack on religion. It absolutely is discrimination. It absolutely is bigotry.
But I see your thinking - as long as it's pointed towards religion or a religious symbo, that's ok.
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with frailty, it has to do with respect - a trait atheists just won't grasp.(as that sentence showed)
<quoted text>
LOL, you consider that discrimination? That a man, a "pundit" is voicing his opinion?
Whouldn't you just love it if we all shut the hell up? Oh well...
Or we can do it your way; "It is not "our" fault that your faith in atheism is so fragile that it depends on public opinions agreeing with you."
I didn't say atheists were smarter than theiests, I said that we don't believe in a god that needs to be propped up by social validation. That's a fact. It is also a fact that the god described by the bible contradicts logic, reason, and evidence. This is why religious belief would be considered a delusion if it weren't socially validated. My lack of belief, on the other hand, requires no social input. It is the default position.

It doesn't matter what the motivations of the founders were (and in fact, I'm sure you know that there is some debate as to the extent of the founder's religiousity.. besides the point though), it matters what they wrote in to law.

So, it's discrimination to attempt to ensure that the state does not appear to favor one religion over any other, but it's not discrimination when a prominent politician blames school shootings on "a lack of god?" And what makes you think that if it's called an "opinion" it's not bigotry or discrimination? If I say "black people are criminals, but that's just my opinion," is that cool?

You really do have a persecution complex - you are a white male who belongs to the majority religion, and you still think you are being discriminated against. The person who wanted to remove your beloved cross was not bigoted against you. He wanted to remove the appearance of state sponsored religion.

Location hidden

#620221 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on your comments about babies, I assume you don't have any.
You can't learn how the raise a child by reading a book.
Try living with one for years and years and years.
Then add another one and start all over.
You tend to learn quite a bit.
And I've learned not to take child rearing advice or opinion from anyone that doesn['t have kids. They're always wrong.
I'm not giving you advice, I am telling you that babies do not think like adults. You are projecting all sorts of behaviors and emotions on to them. It's absurd that you actually think your baby saw you getting ready to go out, then chose that time to "manipulate you by crying for "no reason." For what reason? To spoil your dinner? Because it was jealous it wasn't getting attention and you guys were having fun? That's not how they think. Their actions are based on avoiding punishment. If they do something, no matter *why* they do it (ignoring the fact that babies do not consciously think 'I need to burp, time to cry), they will fear repeating that action if they are punished for it.

Location hidden

#620222 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We did?
huh....
I thought we were killing our known enemies.
But ok.
Yeah. Our "known enemies" being a rag tag, highly mobile, stateless, global network, of course the logical course of action was to decimate the country they happened to be operating out of at the time. Oh, and we had to invade the country that we were told had "helped" them and had WMDs. And then stay there long after we had any good reason to do so, killing hundreds of thousands of civilians in the process. And then after we got the big bad, we decided to stick around even longer.

And let's not forget that our enemy is terrorism itself. How do we defeat an ism? An idea?

Location hidden

#620223 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And a difficult concept for me - as I don't condone spanking a child simply for crying.
<quoted text>
I never understood why you people hate the PATRIOT act so much.
It's not like "big brother" can or will eavesdrop on every little phone call. If they wanted to, they still needed permission form a judge after they've shown some reason to think you are a suspected terrorist. That's bad?
I don't consider the plastic bag tax "more important" than the PATRIOT act, I never siad that or anything close to it, you're asserting now.
If you don't understand why people dislike the patriot act, then you don't understand the patriot act.

And they don't need permission for wiretaps. And the wiretaps are just one small problem with it. One of the worst things, in my mind, is the precedent it sets and the attitude of complacency it's presence has cultivated - most people have an opinion towards it similar to yours.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#620224 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>WTFFFF... I just tryped out a long ass response to this and then I hit post.. and it redirected me back to the home page and when I tried to go back to salvage it the webpage had expired.. Fuck.. I'm not doing that again right now.. I'll re type it in a little while.
That's what happens when you spend too much time in the comment box; the page expires. You have to copy it (control c) or type it in "Microsoft Word" and then transfer it to the comment box (copy and paste; Control c to copy and then control v to paste).

Location hidden

#620225 Apr 27, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No particle is really a particle.
They are positive mass with zero volume. They are energy.
That's why their masses are referred to in electron volts.
But thank you again for you infinite patience in dealing with us morons.
Your care, understanding and tolerance for those of us so far beneath you is truly inspiring.
Call it whatever you want bonehead. "Positive mass" is something and it cannot come from nothing. No one can prove that anything comes from nothing, rather than simply changing forms from something undetectable to something detectable. I'm waiting for your proof, anytime will do, never too soon.

Location hidden

#620226 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I know that virtual particles do not come from nothing. I did not say that. I said "pop into existence," which is a common way to refer to it. They are borrowed energy.
I do like how you assumed all that from a one off comment I made just so that you could preemptively argue with a position that I never took. That was fun.
Well you didn't clarify that. All you did was say they pop into existence. That implies 'coming from nothing'. What else should I think? Especially when you clearly aren't a scientist yourself.

So then what was your point of saying that if they indeed don't come from nothing? How does that help your position that molecules ever became aware of themselves?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#620227 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never had to do that, it was an example.
But in that example, spamming the kid wasn't about his crying, it was about teaching a lesson and to learn how to not be rude.
Stopping by quickly again- and yes- the first time today WAS quick.

I guess that's because I type very quickly and can think very quickly and on my feet as well.

That earlier post took me all of two minutes- and yes, two minutes is "quickly".

You are a HOOT! Teaching a 6 month old baby how not to be "rude"??

You actually think a 6 month old baby has any conception of what rudeness is or that they should?

And the only "lesson" a 6 month old baby who is crying might learn from being spanked is that there is something wrong for doing what comes naturally to babies- that being CRYING.

You really are a sick piece of work.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#620228 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it'll break your heart to know that I'm not on a computer and I'm not even at home, I'm at work.
My boys are likely still sleeping, as it's Saturday and it's 8AM.
So my time on Topix has nothing to do with my time with my boys.
Your ASSumptions are wrong yet again.
Amazing- you have a "job" during the week that is of so little consequence or importance that you're on Topix all week long and they need you to work on the weekends as well??

How much "nothing" can a person do in a week's time? Your job is obviously a joke and not much of a job at all.

Okay....so your sons are asleep- your wife and all of your animals are asleep too???

I guess it doesn't matter if you really are at work, but given how much time you are on Topix during the week, it would actually make sense for your employer to CUT your hours- not increase them.

Then again, I have trouble believing 99.99% of what you say about anything and everything anyway, so.....whatever.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#620229 Apr 27, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, when religion is a fantastic way to control people would they want to disprove God?
If I want to control people I'd leave them to believe, and just change the bible here and there to suit, have the religious leaders feed the people what I want.
If deceitful people and governments want to control people they do not want us to be roaming around, with the freedom to think for ourselves.
Huh?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#620230 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>If you don't understand why people dislike the patriot act, then you don't understand the patriot act.
And they don't need permission for wiretaps. And the wiretaps are just one small problem with it. One of the worst things, in my mind, is the precedent it sets and the attitude of complacency it's presence has cultivated - most people have an opinion towards it similar to yours.
What RR and many others don't get is that it is the PRINCIPLE of the Patriot Act which is a big part of why it is a blatant violation of our rights as Americans.

I've had people ask me why it bothered me- that I must have something to hide when the fact is nothing could be further from the truth.

So what they are missing is the principle of the issue; not having anything to hide doesn't equate to it being okay for our privacy to be invaded.

And- while RR attempted to mock the following quote, it is as true now as when the words were first spoken.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#620231 Apr 27, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Stopping by quickly again- and yes- the first time today WAS quick.
I guess that's because I type very quickly and can think very quickly and on my feet as well.
That earlier post took me all of two minutes- and yes, two minutes is "quickly".
You are a HOOT! Teaching a 6 month old baby how not to be "rude"??
You actually think a 6 month old baby has any conception of what rudeness is or that they should?
And the only "lesson" a 6 month old baby who is crying might learn from being spanked is that there is something wrong for doing what comes naturally to babies- that being CRYING.
You really are a sick piece of work.
No, you don't literally teach a baby how not to be rude. They have no concept of it.

But you gotta start sometime. The younger you start training them, the better person they'll turn out to be.

It's because of people like you that don't discipline your children that we hear about all these "monster teenagers".

My boys are teens and they're very respectful and kind.

As a non-parent, you're ignorant about raising kids.

Location hidden

#620232 Apr 27, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Amazing- you have a "job" during the week that is of so little consequence or importance that you're on Topix all week long and they need you to work on the weekends as well??
How much "nothing" can a person do in a week's time? Your job is obviously a joke and not much of a job at all.
Okay....so your sons are asleep- your wife and all of your animals are asleep too???
I guess it doesn't matter if you really are at work, but given how much time you are on Topix during the week, it would actually make sense for your employer to CUT your hours- not increase them.
Then again, I have trouble believing 99.99% of what you say about anything and everything anyway, so.....whatever.
You don't believe me?!?

Oh no!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#620233 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not giving you advice, I am telling you that babies do not think like adults. You are projecting all sorts of behaviors and emotions on to them. It's absurd that you actually think your baby saw you getting ready to go out, then chose that time to "manipulate you by crying for "no reason." For what reason? To spoil your dinner? Because it was jealous it wasn't getting attention and you guys were having fun? That's not how they think. Their actions are based on avoiding punishment. If they do something, no matter *why* they do it (ignoring the fact that babies do not consciously think 'I need to burp, time to cry), they will fear repeating that action if they are punished for it.
Please- look who you're talking to- someone who thinks a 6 month old baby has any conception of rudeness and that a 6 month old baby can be taught to not be rude despite a 6 month old baby not being able to conceptualize what rudeness is, and even if they could, spanking a baby to teach them not to be rude is moronic.

And of course, RR thinks that if a 6 month old baby is crying for no reason, they are simply being "rude"- as in his example of a 6 month old baby crying and disturbing Mommy and Daddy's quiet dinner.

I have never in my life heard ANYONE accuse a 6 month old baby of being "rude". He might as well claim that 6 month old babies are also capable of being sarcastic and any number of other human traits that 6 month old babies are simply not developed enough to possess.

But hey- since RR is a parent, he thinks he knows all about babies, all about parenting and all about good parenting.

He keeps demonstrating that he knows nothing about any of the above other than on the most basic and rudimentary of levels.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#620234 Apr 27, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You willfully ignore any science that refutes your beliefs.
I always look for possible flaws in the science I trust.
Do you ever look for possible flaws in the bible you trust?
Yes, as far as how this world come about i do. Reason being,(i) have found my evidence. I am satisfied and at peace with my belief.

And thats good, i believe every person should examine the methods/history of what they believe in. I could be wrong, but isnt the dateing method GTS in which they use ''is the core foundation'' to evolution?

Oh yes, i have questioned it in the begining and sought out flaws, and have found none that would change my mind. Do i fully understand the Bible? No. I have asked myself, well is they possibly something been left out that was important, and the answer is no. The most important ''message'' in the Bible is there, and thats how to recieve Eternal life through Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#620235 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got about as much assumption and arrogance as OCB does.
When I call her a "Jeweist" that has nothing to do with jewelry.
She says she is a deist but she also says she is a born Jew. It's kind of a joke.
I don't expect you to understand.
Don't make silly claims. Sociopaths will say they are just trying to joke about something, when not at all what they said was the context of what they tried to pretend they were joking about.

You said "even for a jeweist". That implies jeweists are dumb. Just accept God hates you for being against the Jews.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#620236 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you don't literally teach a baby how not to be rude. They have no concept of it.
But you gotta start sometime. The younger you start training them, the better person they'll turn out to be.
It's because of people like you that don't discipline your children that we hear about all these "monster teenagers".
My boys are teens and they're very respectful and kind.
As a non-parent, you're ignorant about raising kids.
I can't stand your use of the word "train" for children, but whatever.

RR, I posted the following quote at least twice now- what is true today was just as true thousands of years ago.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. "
-Socrates

http://quotationsbook.com/quote/44998/#sthash...

And this....

“Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.”

-Plato

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/do_not_train_...

That your sons are respectful and kind does not necessarily have to do with how you are raising them.

While it's often true that the apple does not fall far from the tree, in your son's case, they may have very well rolled out of harm's way all on their own.

And really- if they are respectful and kind they certainly weren't taught that by you since you are really neither.

Again- that you are a parent does not mean that YOU are not ignorant about raising kids.

I think having a loaded gun in the bedroom of your teenage sons is incredibly ignorant as well as incredibly irresponsible and quite potentially dangerous and lethal.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#620237 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't compare dogs to children, I compared training dogs to training infants, you know the kind that don't speak?
Oh wait, no you don't know.
Whatever dude, I don't beat my dogs. Never have, never will.
And just like beating a dog makes them angry during training, beating an infant will make them troubled.

Typical of a sociopath to use an excuse that "I was refering to this, not that". What's the different between whether we are talking about infants or older children? Still the same applied, you are just desperate.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#620238 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing, I wasn't saying babies shouldn't want to be held. I was saying a baby needs to learn to be on their own, sometimes they feel the need too much that they want to be held - so much that when mom puts them down, they cry. Everytime. Children need to learn to be on the parent's terms, not the parents on the child's terms.
<quoted text>
Sometimes they do. It depends on the sitiuation. If the kid is out of control and won't listen to you......well...
<quoted text>
Absolutely. I agree.
How can a baby learn to early to be on their own? A child needs support, they need the parents to support them so they can grow, and in their own time they will be able to learn to be on their own.

Location hidden

#620239 Apr 27, 2013
OCB wrote:
I can't stand your use of the word "train" for children, but whatever.
That's probably why God denied you children.

Thank God you don't!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Liam 543,392
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 min NEWS-FLASH 173,933
Can't believe so many Chinese people are racist!! (Mar '11) 23 min andet1987 36
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 27 min Dr_Zorderz 4,515
Last Word + 2 28 min Doug77 770
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 29 min Ratloder 118,212
Why are most white people so arrogant? (Apr '10) 50 min blueeyedkat 764
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 57 min Attention 228,046
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Pegasus 259,795
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr waaasssuuup 601,222