Comments
588,841 - 588,860 of 732,776 Comments Last updated 6 min ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#620205 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
You said "atheism is also socially supported." Where was the part where you qualified that statement? The fact is, it's not. It doesn't require social support to exist. It does not need to be "propped up" by social validation, because it doesn't require us to believe in things that directly contradict reason, logic, and evidence.
OK, that's a nice opinion.

It's funny how atheists always think themselves smarter amd superior to us lowly theists.

Of course without any reason, logic, or evidence...
Atheists don't want it "their way," they want it the way that the founders wanted it - a seperation of church and state.
HA! You did not just go there, did you?

The founding fathers wanted the separation so they'd be free to practice their religion.

They held Congress in a church, wanna go back to that?
I don't know about the specifics of the cross that has you so upset so I can't comment, but religious symbols shouldn't be displayed on public land.
"shouldn't be"? Why not? It's not illegal...
What if the US became majority muslim overnight? Would you defend crescent moons being displayed in front of courthouses? Or "in allah we trust" on our money?
No, but I wouldn't persecute it either. If that's what the majority wants, so be it.
Also, there is a big difference between advocating for seperation of church and state and discriminating. The removal of a cross, no matter how much sentimental value it has, does not count as discrimination or an attack on your religion,
I absolutely is an attack on religion. It absolutely is discrimination. It absolutely is bigotry.

But I see your thinking - as long as it's pointed towards religion or a religious symbo, that's ok.
and it is not "our" fault that your faith is so fragile that it depends on public displays thereof.
It has nothing to do with frailty, it has to do with respect - a trait atheists just won't grasp.(as that sentence showed)
Atheists are actually discriminated against - I can turn on the radio or the TV and find a pundit talking about how school shootings happen because "we took god out of schools" or someone talking about how atheists are causing the downfall of america.
LOL, you consider that discrimination? That a man, a "pundit" is voicing his opinion?

Whouldn't you just love it if we all shut the hell up? Oh well...

Or we can do it your way; "It is not "our" fault that your faith in atheism is so fragile that it depends on public opinions agreeing with you."

Location hidden

#620206 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Your point? I know he has the ability. Yet he allows his little simulation to run, knowing full well exactly how many of his beloved creations will end up burning in hell for eternity.
*shrugs* Hey pal, that's your choice.

Location hidden

#620207 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Does it matter if I have kids? You seem to think that making a child automatically makes you an expert. As you have demonstrated, this is not the case.
Babies don't learn in the way that adults do. You seem to think they do.
Based on your comments about babies, I assume you don't have any.

You can't learn how the raise a child by reading a book.

Try living with one for years and years and years.

Then add another one and start all over.

You tend to learn quite a bit.

And I've learned not to take child rearing advice or opinion from anyone that doesn['t have kids. They're always wrong.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#620208 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA!!!!
Sorry, timn. I had to stop ya there.
You think liberals "defend our rights"????
Then why the f_ck are they trying to deny us our right to bear arms?
Amongst many other rights the liberals want to take away - like the right to use a God damned plastic bag at the grocery store if I feel like it.
so you are against the gov't denying us our rights...

so you are against outlawing drugs, after all we should be free to put anything we want into our bodies...it doesn't affect anyone else

euthanasia should also be legal

abortion should be unrestricted and legal

finally something we can agree on

Location hidden

#620209 Apr 27, 2013
saidI wrote:
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesn't ever prove the existence of a God. This proves that guy was really lucky.
RR wrote:
Prove it.
saidI wrote:
The man is alive after falling 8 floors. There's your proof that this guy is really lucky.
Really?

I say it's proof that God saved him.

Prove me wrong.

Location hidden

#620210 Apr 27, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
My system for child rearing is quite simple. I sold my son to the gypsies.
Ahahahahaha!

Did you get rich?

Location hidden

#620211 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Because you are a white american who was caught up in the go team america nonsense. It was pretty dangerous to look muslim after 9/11. And when I say "we," I am talking about people in general. We turned on people who looked a little different than us, and we allowed ourselves to become desensitized to the murder of innocent people.
We did?

huh....

I thought we were killing our known enemies.

But ok.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#620212 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, which is why I've never spanked a 6 month old baby for crying.
Just a quick "drive-by" for me today....

RR- you stated that it's okay to spank a 6 month old baby if they are interrupting Mommy and Daddy's quiet dinner by crying for no discernible reason- other than your interpretation that they are being "manipulative".

So if you never spanked a 6 month old baby for crying, just why DID you spank a 6 month old baby?

What was the 6 month old baby doing that couldn't be prevented by any number of other ways other than hitting them?

What kind of ADULT are you that you DO allow babies to control you by being totally at your wit's end as to how to keep them from doing something you don't want them to do other than by hitting them?

And yeah- you DID say it's okay to spank a 6 month old baby for crying.

Now you're attempting to back pedal and as always, failing miserably in your attempt.

I don't CARE if someone has kids or not; that is NOT the issue.

The issue is to whether or not it's right or wrong to use corporal punishment on a 6 month old baby.

It's WRONG. Period.

And our LAWS are wrong in that regard as well. It is against the law to hit a spouse, a stranger, someone else's child, etc.

But there are NO laws to protect babies and children from their own parents unless it is a question of visible abuse.

Sorry, RR- just because you might not leave bruises or welts on the tender tushie of a 6 month old baby does not mean that to strike a 6 month old baby is NOT abuse. It IS.

I don't expect you to agree given how you are so totally lacking in that which can logically be defined as true moral fiber.

Nothing is right or just about hitting babies. And just because you are a parent, that does not mean you are a GOOD parent or that you are even QUALIFIED to be a parent.

Based on what you've posted here about your child-rearing, you DO fit the definition of what is an UNFIT parent.

Speaking of parenting, enjoy your weekend in front of your computer rather than spending this time with your SONS.

PS- I told my man about your remark about my breath yesterday- when you said after throwing up in my mouth a little it probably smelled better than it had in a month- he found that to be VERY funny- completely untrue, but humorous nonetheless.

And if you truly were a good parent and a good husband and a good animal owner, you would be spending your time with THEM rather than having jumped on the computer at 6AM your time this morning.

Sorry for your luck that Topix obviously IS your life.

Gotta go- I prefer to LIVE life with Topix as an aside rather than the main thrust of why I get up in the morning- as is the case with YOU.

Toodles!

Location hidden

#620213 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, hitting a child for crying seems to be a difficult concept for "lefties."
And a difficult concept for me - as I don't condone spanking a child simply for crying.
Remember, I'm not a "lefty." I'm not a big fan of the partisan bickering that the right vs. left dichotomy creates in this country. It's a great way to keep people distracted from the issues that actually matter. Case in point - you consider a plastic tax more important than the patriot act, simply because of your knee jerk reaction against anything on the "left."
I never understood why you people hate the PATRIOT act so much.

It's not like "big brother" can or will eavesdrop on every little phone call. If they wanted to, they still needed permission form a judge after they've shown some reason to think you are a suspected terrorist. That's bad?

I don't consider the plastic bag tax "more important" than the PATRIOT act, I never siad that or anything close to it, you're asserting now.

Location hidden

#620214 Apr 27, 2013
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
so you are against the gov't denying us our rights...
Yes.
so you are against outlawing drugs, after all we should be free to put anything we want into our bodies...it doesn't affect anyone else
No.
euthanasia should also be legal
Yes.
abortion should be unrestricted and legal
Yes.
finally something we can agree on
Finally....
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#620215 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahahahahaha!
Did you get rich?
No, but the new clubs I bought from the transaction really improved my back nine...

Location hidden

#620216 Apr 27, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Just a quick "drive-by" for me today....
RR- you stated that it's okay to spank a 6 month old baby if they are interrupting Mommy and Daddy's quiet dinner by crying for no discernible reason- other than your interpretation that they are being "manipulative".
So if you never spanked a 6 month old baby for crying, just why DID you spank a 6 month old baby?
What was the 6 month old baby doing that couldn't be prevented by any number of other ways other than hitting them?
What kind of ADULT are you that you DO allow babies to control you by being totally at your wit's end as to how to keep them from doing something you don't want them to do other than by hitting them?
And yeah- you DID say it's okay to spank a 6 month old baby for crying.
Now you're attempting to back pedal and as always, failing miserably in your attempt.
I don't CARE if someone has kids or not; that is NOT the issue.
The issue is to whether or not it's right or wrong to use corporal punishment on a 6 month old baby.
It's WRONG. Period.
And our LAWS are wrong in that regard as well. It is against the law to hit a spouse, a stranger, someone else's child, etc.
But there are NO laws to protect babies and children from their own parents unless it is a question of visible abuse.
Sorry, RR- just because you might not leave bruises or welts on the tender tushie of a 6 month old baby does not mean that to strike a 6 month old baby is NOT abuse. It IS.
I don't expect you to agree given how you are so totally lacking in that which can logically be defined as true moral fiber.
Nothing is right or just about hitting babies. And just because you are a parent, that does not mean you are a GOOD parent or that you are even QUALIFIED to be a parent.
Based on what you've posted here about your child-rearing, you DO fit the definition of what is an UNFIT parent.
Speaking of parenting, enjoy your weekend in front of your computer rather than spending this time with your SONS.
PS- I told my man about your remark about my breath yesterday- when you said after throwing up in my mouth a little it probably smelled better than it had in a month- he found that to be VERY funny- completely untrue, but humorous nonetheless.
And if you truly were a good parent and a good husband and a good animal owner, you would be spending your time with THEM rather than having jumped on the computer at 6AM your time this morning.
Sorry for your luck that Topix obviously IS your life.
Gotta go- I prefer to LIVE life with Topix as an aside rather than the main thrust of why I get up in the morning- as is the case with YOU.
Toodles!
That was "quick"?

Location hidden

#620217 Apr 27, 2013
OCB wrote:

I've never had to do that, it was an example.

But in that example, spamming the kid wasn't about his crying, it was about teaching a lesson and to learn how to not be rude.

Location hidden

#620218 Apr 27, 2013
OCB wrote:

Then it'll break your heart to know that I'm not on a computer and I'm not even at home, I'm at work.

My boys are likely still sleeping, as it's Saturday and it's 8AM.

So my time on Topix has nothing to do with my time with my boys.

Your ASSumptions are wrong yet again.

Location hidden

#620219 Apr 27, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but the new clubs I bought from the transaction really improved my back nine...
Nice. Good call.

PLUS you can use them to "correct" your wife - as needed.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#620220 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, that's a nice opinion.
It's funny how atheists always think themselves smarter amd superior to us lowly theists.
Of course without any reason, logic, or evidence...
<quoted text>
HA! You did not just go there, did you?
The founding fathers wanted the separation so they'd be free to practice their religion.
They held Congress in a church, wanna go back to that?
<quoted text>
"shouldn't be"? Why not? It's not illegal...
<quoted text>
No, but I wouldn't persecute it either. If that's what the majority wants, so be it.
<quoted text>
I absolutely is an attack on religion. It absolutely is discrimination. It absolutely is bigotry.
But I see your thinking - as long as it's pointed towards religion or a religious symbo, that's ok.
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with frailty, it has to do with respect - a trait atheists just won't grasp.(as that sentence showed)
<quoted text>
LOL, you consider that discrimination? That a man, a "pundit" is voicing his opinion?
Whouldn't you just love it if we all shut the hell up? Oh well...
Or we can do it your way; "It is not "our" fault that your faith in atheism is so fragile that it depends on public opinions agreeing with you."
I didn't say atheists were smarter than theiests, I said that we don't believe in a god that needs to be propped up by social validation. That's a fact. It is also a fact that the god described by the bible contradicts logic, reason, and evidence. This is why religious belief would be considered a delusion if it weren't socially validated. My lack of belief, on the other hand, requires no social input. It is the default position.

It doesn't matter what the motivations of the founders were (and in fact, I'm sure you know that there is some debate as to the extent of the founder's religiousity.. besides the point though), it matters what they wrote in to law.

So, it's discrimination to attempt to ensure that the state does not appear to favor one religion over any other, but it's not discrimination when a prominent politician blames school shootings on "a lack of god?" And what makes you think that if it's called an "opinion" it's not bigotry or discrimination? If I say "black people are criminals, but that's just my opinion," is that cool?

You really do have a persecution complex - you are a white male who belongs to the majority religion, and you still think you are being discriminated against. The person who wanted to remove your beloved cross was not bigoted against you. He wanted to remove the appearance of state sponsored religion.

Location hidden

#620221 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on your comments about babies, I assume you don't have any.
You can't learn how the raise a child by reading a book.
Try living with one for years and years and years.
Then add another one and start all over.
You tend to learn quite a bit.
And I've learned not to take child rearing advice or opinion from anyone that doesn['t have kids. They're always wrong.
I'm not giving you advice, I am telling you that babies do not think like adults. You are projecting all sorts of behaviors and emotions on to them. It's absurd that you actually think your baby saw you getting ready to go out, then chose that time to "manipulate you by crying for "no reason." For what reason? To spoil your dinner? Because it was jealous it wasn't getting attention and you guys were having fun? That's not how they think. Their actions are based on avoiding punishment. If they do something, no matter *why* they do it (ignoring the fact that babies do not consciously think 'I need to burp, time to cry), they will fear repeating that action if they are punished for it.

Location hidden

#620222 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We did?
huh....
I thought we were killing our known enemies.
But ok.
Yeah. Our "known enemies" being a rag tag, highly mobile, stateless, global network, of course the logical course of action was to decimate the country they happened to be operating out of at the time. Oh, and we had to invade the country that we were told had "helped" them and had WMDs. And then stay there long after we had any good reason to do so, killing hundreds of thousands of civilians in the process. And then after we got the big bad, we decided to stick around even longer.

And let's not forget that our enemy is terrorism itself. How do we defeat an ism? An idea?

Location hidden

#620223 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And a difficult concept for me - as I don't condone spanking a child simply for crying.
<quoted text>
I never understood why you people hate the PATRIOT act so much.
It's not like "big brother" can or will eavesdrop on every little phone call. If they wanted to, they still needed permission form a judge after they've shown some reason to think you are a suspected terrorist. That's bad?
I don't consider the plastic bag tax "more important" than the PATRIOT act, I never siad that or anything close to it, you're asserting now.
If you don't understand why people dislike the patriot act, then you don't understand the patriot act.

And they don't need permission for wiretaps. And the wiretaps are just one small problem with it. One of the worst things, in my mind, is the precedent it sets and the attitude of complacency it's presence has cultivated - most people have an opinion towards it similar to yours.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#620224 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>WTFFFF... I just tryped out a long ass response to this and then I hit post.. and it redirected me back to the home page and when I tried to go back to salvage it the webpage had expired.. Fuck.. I'm not doing that again right now.. I'll re type it in a little while.
That's what happens when you spend too much time in the comment box; the page expires. You have to copy it (control c) or type it in "Microsoft Word" and then transfer it to the comment box (copy and paste; Control c to copy and then control v to paste).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Thinking 226,283
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 11 min Falcon 733
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min Michael 538,797
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 17 min Tuco Blondie 117,957
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 17 min Porkpie Hat 257,860
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 56 min yon 2,414
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 58 min Epiphany2 599,839
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr KiMare 94,646
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••