Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

timn17 wrote:
It's a baby. It doesn't know how else to communicate it's needs, and when you hit it for crying {{{{SNIP}}}}
First, babaies CAN and DO communicate their needs.

Second, I NEVER said to hit a baby for crying.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

timn17 wrote:
No one is saying they are "stupid," or that they don't learn fast, just that they don't think at a mature level yet.
So then you advocate spankings only when the child is mature?

Doncha think that's a little too late to start?
The fact that they learn fast is in fact the problem here. Hitting them to get them to stop doing a certain behavior is called negative reinforcement, and the baby will quickly learn that crying might get it hit.
BINGO!

The baby learns very quickly that they can't throw a fit when you take a toy away at bedtime, or when they refuse to eat their food and throw it on the floor, or when they yank on the dog's ears....
He will not understand that he should only cry for the "right reason," he will only learn that crying might bring pain.
Get your mind out of the gutter - this debate is not about a baby crying, it's about their actions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

timn17 wrote:

"Damn liberals?" That's funny. The "damn liberals" have to defend our basic rights from the right,
HA HA HA!!!!

Sorry, timn. I had to stop ya there.

You think liberals "defend our rights"????

Then why the f_ck are they trying to deny us our right to bear arms?

Amongst many other rights the liberals want to take away - like the right to use a God damned plastic bag at the grocery store if I feel like it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You clearly aren't familiar with psychology, psuedo or otherwise. That is not what is meant by negative reinforcement.
Also, are you a scientologist or something? Do you think of the entire field of psychology as a giant sham?
There it is again....

"You don't understand"

UGH!

Here, read psychology.about.com

It'll tell ya all about it.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
See? "You just don't understand"
*sigh*
Why is it when someone disagrees with an atheist, that's the textbook comeback?
Here's three textbook examples of negative reinforcement:
Before heading out for a day at the beach, you slather on sunscreen in order to avoid getting sunburned.
You decide to clean up your mess in the kitchen in order to avoid getting in a fight with your roommate.
On Monday morning, you leave the house early in order to avoid getting stuck in traffic and being late for class.
Nevermind, I was mixing up negative reinforcement and positive punishment.

The point is, spanking a 6 month old child for crying does nothing but create a fear of crying.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You really do have absolutely no clue what negative reinforcement is.
Is that supposed to refute what I said?

lol, it didn't.

Prove me wrong that ANY ONE of the three examples I gave were not examples of negative reinforcement.

Try.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. It's all about control. Of our money and of our rights.
The whole "plastic bags are bad for the environment" argument is a moot point while plastic water bottles are so prolific.
I see people at the grocery store, with their little "environmentally friendly" reusable bags. I watch as they stuff them full of plastic; drink bottles (of all sorts), TV dinners, candy, chips, etc.
It always makes me chuckle and I ask myself what the hell the point is.
Oh, money.
Really... you see a plastic bag tax as a form of "control," but you don't mind the patriot act. There government is trying to subvert our rights and mess with our money in much more sinister ways, and you worry about a plastic bag tax, because it's "leftist." Stop being so partisan.

And yes, there are many more things we should be doing to help the environment, or at least reduce our impact, but one thing at a time RR. You can't expect for plastic to go away overnight. Taxing plastic bags is a good way to get people to really think about whether they really need to put 20 plastic bags into the trash every time they go shopping.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say they were socially supported the same, did I?
Don't call me a liar if you don't wanna read correctly.
<quoted text>
You guys bring in on yourselves.
You don't wanna leave well enough alone, so we fight back.
Like how your kind tried removing a cross in my town. A cross that's been there since 1906....
Y'all lost, of course. But it leaves a bitter reminder to us how much atheists want it their way - with no regard to how anyone else wants it.
If you can't take the heat.........
You said "atheism is also socially supported." Where was the part where you qualified that statement? The fact is, it's not. It doesn't require social support to exist. It does not need to be "propped up" by social validation, because it doesn't require us to believe in things that directly contradict reason, logic, and evidence.

Atheists don't want it "their way," they want it the way that the founders wanted it - a seperation of church and state. I don't know about the specifics of the cross that has you so upset so I can't comment, but religious symbols shouldn't be displayed on public land. What if the US became majority muslim overnight? Would you defend crescent moons being displayed in front of courthouses? Or "in allah we trust" on our money?

Also, there is a big difference between advocating for seperation of church and state and discriminating. The removal of a cross, no matter how much sentimental value it has, does not count as discrimination or an attack on your religion, and it is not "our" fault that your faith is so fragile that it depends on public displays thereof. Atheists are actually discriminated against - I can turn on the radio or the TV and find a pundit talking about how school shootings happen because "we took god out of schools" or someone talking about how atheists are causing the downfall of america.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God has the 'ability' to change an outcome of your life, but not the 'desire', so he never does.
Making your life full of choices and free will.
Your point? I know he has the ability. Yet he allows his little simulation to run, knowing full well exactly how many of his beloved creations will end up burning in hell for eternity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you're saying, totally. I'm trying to get it through your thick skull that God allows you free will.
He allows everyone free will - including Satan.
I don't know why you feel the need to add the word "approval" into it...
I understand that you want to force free will in to the equation. I even allow for it for the purposes of this discussion, even though it's logically impossible given the properties god is said to have. That doesn't change the fact that everything that happens, by definition, has god's tacit approval. If it didn't have his approval, then, by definition, it would not happen. Simple as that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You have kids?
Does it matter if I have kids? You seem to think that making a child automatically makes you an expert. As you have demonstrated, this is not the case.

Babies don't learn in the way that adults do. You seem to think they do.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What the f_ck is it with this generation that thinks babies are stupid?
Didn't say they were stupid. They also do not have fully realized brains.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA!!
Ya, dude. OK...... "babies don't manipulate"....
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!
Wow.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So then you advocate spankings only when the child is mature?
Doncha think that's a little too late to start?
<quoted text>
BINGO!
The baby learns very quickly that they can't throw a fit when you take a toy away at bedtime, or when they refuse to eat their food and throw it on the floor, or when they yank on the dog's ears....
<quoted text>
Get your mind out of the gutter - this debate is not about a baby crying, it's about their actions.
You specifically said that you hit your baby for crying. They do not make the connection that you seem to think they make. They learn "crying gets me hit." Not "crying for 'no reason' gets me hit."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA!!!!
Sorry, timn. I had to stop ya there.
You think liberals "defend our rights"????
Then why the f_ck are they trying to deny us our right to bear arms?
Amongst many other rights the liberals want to take away - like the right to use a God damned plastic bag at the grocery store if I feel like it.
When I said "damned liberals," I wasn't referring to the overall left, I was referring to myself, which is why I put it in quotation marks.

But ok, you go along on your plastic bag crusade and your penis compensator protest, and I'll worry about the important things, like the government turning the US into a paranoid police state perpetually at war with the enemy of the week.

But I like how you avoided everything I said.

Since: Mar 11

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesn't ever prove the existence of a God. This proves that guy was really lucky.

RR wrote:
Prove it.

saidI wrote:
The man is alive after falling 8 floors. There's your proof that this guy is really lucky.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know they don't. They come out with a still-developing brain.
And it's the parent's job to teach, train and develop them.
Not to be their bitch.
The parent's are in charge, not the child.
That seems a difficult concept for "lefties"...
My system for child rearing is quite simple. I sold my son to the gypsies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"We turned on eachother and allowed the government and the media to instill paranoia and fear in us all"
Did "we" do that?
'cuz I remember quite differently.
Because you are a white american who was caught up in the go team america nonsense. It was pretty dangerous to look muslim after 9/11. And when I say "we," I am talking about people in general. We turned on people who looked a little different than us, and we allowed ourselves to become desensitized to the murder of innocent people.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They've got to keep their rich buddies in the military industrial complex rolling in green.
I think some of those people breathe money.
Yep. Pretty much. The US isn't even a democracy anymore, it's a corporatocracy. People get elected by big money, and then they owe big favors.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know they don't. They come out with a still-developing brain.
And it's the parent's job to teach, train and develop them.
Not to be their bitch.
The parent's are in charge, not the child.
That seems a difficult concept for "lefties"...
No, hitting a child for crying seems to be a difficult concept for "lefties."

Remember, I'm not a "lefty." I'm not a big fan of the partisan bickering that the right vs. left dichotomy creates in this country. It's a great way to keep people distracted from the issues that actually matter. Case in point - you consider a plastic tax more important than the patriot act, simply because of your knee jerk reaction against anything on the "left."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

353 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 10 min Neelakaran 4,622
abashadile e Durban (Mar '13) 21 min whatsapp me 0826620782 13
Shock Poll: 40% Still not Sure Obama is America... 40 min Impeach Barry Soetoro 7
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 45 min Uzi 115,028
Snapchat couples and girls for fun 59 min davie 10
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr religionisillness 224,103
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr sonu 399
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr The Awakener 172,344
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr AussieBobby 256,451
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Mi Lin 532,626
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 6 hr Larry 122
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••