Prove there's a god.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#620404 Apr 29, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>ohh, ok.. Well here is a good place to start as well..

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/cont...

http://ronyan.org/aaronk1994/aaronsblog/categ...

A popular contradiction skeptics love to exploit is one between 1 Kings 4:26 and 2 Chronicles 9:25.

1 Kings 4:26:

“And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.”

2 Chronicles 9:25:

“And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.”

So, which is it? Forty thousand stalls or four thousand stalls? Finally, the skeptic has found an error in the Bible! YES!

Wawawa. Another failure by the skeptic.

This “error” is nothing more than a minor error by a scribe, not a contradiction.

Many critics of Christianity express hypocrisy to the principles of textual criticism when it comes to explaining claims of error in the Biblical text. They reject all explanations involving copyist error, even though they are of the same type used by textual critics in secular studies to resolve difficulties.

We’ve already said that there is no evidence that this problem existed in the original text, do we have any evidence that it didn’t exist in the original text? Yes.

• The reading found in 2 Chronicles.
• Archaeological data indicating that 4000 would be an appropriate number of stalls for a nation the size of ancient Israel, whereas 40,000 would be very excessive.
• 4000 comports better with the number of horsemen.
• There is sufficient explanation for a change. Eric Vestrup notes that there is a reasonable probability that a scribe copied incorrectly, for “40&#8243; is spelled aleph-resh-bet-ayin-yodh-mem with “4&#8243; being spelled aleph-resh-bet-ayin-heh , the only difference being the plural “-im” ending in “40&#8243; while “4&#8243; has the singular feminine ending.
Yeah.

I saw that one and figured it was a transcription error.

Makes me wonder how many more there are and why your god would allow those kind of errors in his one and only guide book to heaven.

The stronger contradictions are the logical errors that weren't mere typos, like an all loving god of peace along with a jealous god of war.

No thanks. If I really wanted a god that ban, I'd look for a better one than yours. Yours makes people think really strange things. I see them in prayer halls and churches pretending to feel uplifted or something, and they just look phony and stupid.

Buddhism seems pretty cool, but I've seen people get all flaky over that, too.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#620405 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>More ASSumptions, huh?
He said probably.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#620406 Apr 29, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. Your presence is all that is necessary, 24-7. Your kids must be happier when your head is in the monitor. Tell them I understand.
Believe me, once your kids are teens, a 24/7 presence in not only not needed. It's not desirable or even healthy.

For the kids OR the parents.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#620407 Apr 29, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>ohh, ok.. Well here is a good place to start as well..

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/cont...

http://ronyan.org/aaronk1994/aaronsblog/categ...

A popular contradiction skeptics love to exploit is one between 1 Kings 4:26 and 2 Chronicles 9:25.

1 Kings 4:26:

“And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.”

2 Chronicles 9:25:

“And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.”

So, which is it? Forty thousand stalls or four thousand stalls? Finally, the skeptic has found an error in the Bible! YES!

Wawawa. Another failure by the skeptic.

This “error” is nothing more than a minor error by a scribe, not a contradiction.

Many critics of Christianity express hypocrisy to the principles of textual criticism when it comes to explaining claims of error in the Biblical text. They reject all explanations involving copyist error, even though they are of the same type used by textual critics in secular studies to resolve difficulties.

We’ve already said that there is no evidence that this problem existed in the original text, do we have any evidence that it didn’t exist in the original text? Yes.

• The reading found in 2 Chronicles.
• Archaeological data indicating that 4000 would be an appropriate number of stalls for a nation the size of ancient Israel, whereas 40,000 would be very excessive.
• 4000 comports better with the number of horsemen.
• There is sufficient explanation for a change. Eric Vestrup notes that there is a reasonable probability that a scribe copied incorrectly, for “40&#8243; is spelled aleph-resh-bet-ayin-yodh-mem with “4&#8243; being spelled aleph-resh-bet-ayin-heh , the only difference being the plural “-im” ending in “40&#8243; while “4&#8243; has the singular feminine ending.
I've looked at those apologist sites as well as many others.

One of my favorite statements I see reoccurring on a regular basis is along the lines of, "The bible makes thousands of prophesies, none of which have been disproven."

To the naive believer looking to find a reason to believe, this sounds like all the prophesies have been proven, but that's not what it says at all. Apologists say that to fool the wannabe believer without actually lying.

Just because something hasn't been disproven doesn't mean it's been proven.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#620409 Apr 29, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>If our every day experiences do not follow the rules of the quantum world, then what are the rules. Sorry, physics does not operate at the quantum level, so quantum physics is an illusion. No, my post was not supposed to make sense to you, it is at a quantum level.
I don't have to prove that the world is 6k years old, you have to prove that it is older or less. If you attempt to prove that the world is 6k years old, then you have proven that it is at least 6k and then it is up to you to prove that it is older. That would have to be done at the quantum level or we could pulling up recorded documents and historical records. I'd love that.
You're outta' your element donny!

Location hidden

#620410 Apr 29, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I read an article called Lame of Thrones.
I thought it was apt.
I tried and I tried to like it but I don't.
The only redeeming aspects are Peter Dinklage and Maisie Williams.
Meh. That article didn't do a good job. He was basically complaining that the show was too slow for him and that he could "predict" things based on watching 2 episodes (things that didn't actually happen). And he was upset that the show is morally grey?!?! That's a good thing. We need less of "generic good guy beats generic bad guy while glorious music plays."

Location hidden

#620411 Apr 29, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>If our every day experiences do not follow the rules of the quantum world, then what are the rules. Sorry, physics does not operate at the quantum level, so quantum physics is an illusion. No, my post was not supposed to make sense to you, it is at a quantum level.
I don't have to prove that the world is 6k years old, you have to prove that it is older or less. If you attempt to prove that the world is 6k years old, then you have proven that it is at least 6k and then it is up to you to prove that it is older. That would have to be done at the quantum level or we could pulling up recorded documents and historical records. I'd love that.
I recognize your jilted, nonsensical writing style. You're the guy that's really obsessed with gay dads abusing their children, right?

Location hidden

#620412 Apr 29, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
And btw, even without getting in to the science, because that's clearly not something you are willing or able to discuss, I can prove the world is older than 6k years.

Epic of Gilgamesh.

But for real, donny, you're outta' your element.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#620413 Apr 29, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Is winter coming?
Yes.
Not in the hemisphere I'm in.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#620414 Apr 29, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
My question to you was about the GTS, and if it is the ''core foundation'' to evolution? simple yes or no..
No, geological time scale has nothing to do with evolution, but combined with the theory of evolution it has helped in finding new fossils.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#620415 Apr 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, geological time scale has nothing to do with evolution, but combined with the theory of evolution it has helped in finding new fossils.
Yes.

With 100% consistency.

Unless Psalms has a preCambrian rabbit...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#620416 Apr 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, RR.
Grow up, at least a little bit.
What?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620417 Apr 29, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. Your presence is all that is necessary, 24-7. Your kids must be happier when your head is in the monitor. Tell them I understand.
More ASSumptions.

Ironic, this post of yours was 13 hours ago.

So much for your 24/7 theory.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620418 Apr 29, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:

I only tell someone that they don't understand something when it is clear that they do not.
I'm not speaking on behalf of everyone that says that to you. And repetition doesn't make it true, but there is probably a reason for the repetition. It's probably true a lot of the time. Instead of considering that a likely possibility, you created an explanation that works like a warm comforting blanket. You attribute it to some kind of atheist playbook response. It isn't.
Yes it is. "You don't understand" is straight from the atheist handbook of debate. Y'all use it at every opportunity and at nearly every debate.
It's my opinion, which is based on logic. Logic is like math. If there is a problem with my logic, you should be able to demonstrate it.
What I have done is invalidated the Bible as a complete definition for a possible deity. The Bible is in error, whether there are gods or not. The Bible does not describe one. What it describes, it does so in contradictions.
Yes, the bible isn't a complete definition for God. But it is not in error.
Actually, to me, there is little difference between heaven and hell. But that is irrelevant. There are an infinite number of scenarios that I would want to experience, or not experience, and my preference has no bearing on my belief in the reality of those scenarios.
I don't believe in any gods because I'm a rational skeptic. There is no god claim that stands out as anything close to reasonable.
Being a rational skeptic has nothing to do with your choice of not believing in God.

Like you just wrote, you want to experience "an infinite number of scenarios", most of which you wouldn't do if you felt responsible to answer to God.
I'm not the one who uses faith. That would be you.
Yes, you do. You believe no deities exist - with nothing to back up that opinion.
Here you have an opportunity to demonstrate your understanding.
Could you summarize why you think the Bible is so popular?
Because it's the word of God, not something a "modern day 12 year old" could write.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620419 Apr 29, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, my "beliefs" are based on evidence, and my indifference towards the "god proposition" is based on a lack of evidence.[
O_o

So all your beliefs are based on evidence, except your belief in God?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620420 Apr 29, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Battle scenes, blood letting, incestuous relationships, kings killing kings, slaying giants, death by ass jaw. Death by ass jaw? OH Yeah.
Any questions?
One.

Why are you only focused on negatives?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620421 Apr 29, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, most atheists have thought about hell, not out of fear, but out of a conceptual attempt to reconcile the notion of eternal torture with the notion of a merciful, loving god. And guess what? They don't fit. The idea that a merciful, loving, kind god could willingly damn the majority of his creations to unimaginable, eternal torment is an absurdity that would be laughable if so many people didn't believe it. It simply doesn't work. I doubt that a single person has existed who would damn his worst enemy to hell, yet you claim that your god, the epitome of love and mercy, does so constantly and without reservation. As I said, absurd.
And how has the bible "stood the test of time?" By what criteria? Popularity? If so, several other holy books are doing pretty well also. Hisorical accuracy? Please. Moral perfection? Please.
Oh please. There is no book in history as popular, most read, most studied, most published and most distributed as the Bible.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620422 Apr 29, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me, once your kids are teens, a 24/7 presence in not only not needed. It's not desirable or even healthy.
For the kids OR the parents.
Considering I was at work yesterday and my kids weren't even home, his ASSumptions fall flat.

Don't feed the troll.
youtube

AOL

#620423 Apr 29, 2013

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620424 Apr 29, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And btw, even without getting in to the science, because that's clearly not something you are willing or able to discuss, I can prove the world is older than 6k years.
Epic of Gilgamesh.
But for real, donny, you're outta' your element.
The flood of the Epic of Gilgamesh is contained on Tablet XI of twelve large stone tablets that date to around 650 B.C. These tablets are obviously not originals, since fragments of the flood story have been found on tablets that date to 2,000 B.C. It is likely that the story itself originated much before that, since the Sumerian cuneiform writing has been estimated to go as far back as 3,300 B.C.

And Moses could read and write cuneiform. Odd....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min June VanDerMark 599,607
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 16 min sangili karuppan 7,497
News Vermont towns vote to arrest Bush and Cheney (Mar '08) 23 min What 1,163
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 31 min ajanta 448
Real Estate - Havencroft - Find out your worth ... 32 min havencroft411 1
The Christian Atheist debate 38 min Lbj 1,988
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 6,457
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr Epiphany2 612,903
More from around the web