“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#620167 Apr 27, 2013
GoodRabbit wrote:
This guy fell 8, count em' EIGHT stories to his doom and survived. YOU CANT TELL ME GOD DOESNT EXIST. It take a lot of bravery to see God in the LIttle things

http://youtu.be/4wYSfP6JokY
And some guy fell 83 floors in the wtc collapse and survived.

It's highly improbable, but that doesn't make it miraculous.

You just want it to.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#620168 Apr 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I never saw a post where you said it was cool to hit a baby, just other posters saying you did. So...do you really think it's fine to hit a baby for not learning something the "first time" you've told it "no"?
...and the second time.... and the third.....
No, it is absolutely NOT "cool" or fun or pleasurable to spank a 6 month old baby.

But IMO, I think it's useful and necessary sometimes.

For example, when the little turd throws a temper tantrum because you took away a toy...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620169 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You still aren't understanding. I have addressed this point several times - it does not matter if god is in fact controlling every detail of our lives - that he knows the outcome of every event and has the ability to change the outcome of any event necessarily removes free will from the equation. It's not that hard to understand.
God has the 'ability' to change an outcome of your life, but not the 'desire', so he never does.

Making your life full of choices and free will.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#620170 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Really? Afghanistan, Iraq, Patriot Act (as well as many other examples of absurd legislation ostensibly passed to "protect our freedom," ie the military commisions act, also CISPA which was introduced by a repub), our incursions in latin america during the regan administration, the support of saddam prior to, during, and after the iranian revolution, etc. etc. etc. The left bears some responsibilty too, both for being full of lame ducks and for, lately, actively supporting this kind of crap. But the conservative base is full of war hawks who jump at the opportunity to "defend our freedom" from the threat of the week. They are, as a group, much easier to get riled up about some "evil force" that finds itself in the proverbial scope.
They've got to keep their rich buddies in the military industrial complex rolling in green.

I think some of those people breathe money.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620171 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I like how you don't even address the point I was making. Just "wrong." Lol. Seriously though, I don't think you are understanding what is meant by approval. I'm not saying that god must "like" sin (although it is strange that a god would create a universe filled with things he doesn't like), but I am saying that if he knows what will happen and has the power to change it, then anything that happens necessarily has his tacit approval. He knew, from day one, exactly how everything would turn out, exactly which sins would be commited and by whom, and he could have adjusted the variables to prevent any sin from occuring with a snap of his fingers. And he didn't. Therefore, sin has his tacit approval, or else sin wouldn't exist.
I understand what you're saying, totally. I'm trying to get it through your thick skull that God allows you free will.

He allows everyone free will - including Satan.

I don't know why you feel the need to add the word "approval" into it...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#620172 Apr 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Holy fking hell! How many times do I have to tell you guys that a "virtual particle" is not really a particle?

http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-pos...

The disturbance does not "come" from *nothing*, there is no such thing as *nothing* existing in the quantum world.
No particle is really a particle.

They are positive mass with zero volume. They are energy.

That's why their masses are referred to in electron volts.

But thank you again for you infinite patience in dealing with us morons.

Your care, understanding and tolerance for those of us so far beneath you is truly inspiring.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620173 Apr 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
They have to cry to get what they need before they learn to talk. What's wrong with a baby wanting to be held?
Nothing, I wasn't saying babies shouldn't want to be held. I was saying a baby needs to learn to be on their own, sometimes they feel the need too much that they want to be held - so much that when mom puts them down, they cry. Everytime. Children need to learn to be on the parent's terms, not the parents on the child's terms.
They do learn very quickly that crying gets them what they want and some babies do go to the extreme but they don't deserve a smack for being manipulative.
Sometimes they do. It depends on the sitiuation. If the kid is out of control and won't listen to you......well...
Not that duct taping them to a wall doesn't sound appealing when I hear some brat screaming bloody hell in a store. ;)
Usually a crying baby is a baby that doesn't get enough *good* attention. A clean, dry, well fed baby should be a happy baby.
Absolutely. I agree.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620174 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>RR, dude. No. You are projecting the way you think on to a baby. They don't "manipulate." They might learn to associate certain behaviors with certain responses, but this is simple conditioning that any animal is capable of.
If they cry, it's because that is pretty much the only way they know how to communicate, and they are trying to tell you something. They do not have ulterior motives, and they do not consider *why* you respond to them the way you do. If you spank a baby for crying, it will become scared to cry. It will not understand "I was crying at a bad time for 'no reason' and I shouldn't do that again." It will simply associate the act of crying with the result of getting hit.
Seriously, I recommend you learn a little bit about infant psychology, because you clearly are just making shit up as you go.
You have kids?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620175 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, dogs do not understand the concept of discipline in general no matter the age, but that's neither here nor there.
Second, no, babies do not understand the concept of discipline. At all. To understand the concept of discipline requires the ability to think abstractly, which is not something babies can do. I really can't believe you think this.
What the f_ck is it with this generation that thinks babies are stupid?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620176 Apr 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Ride 'em hard, cowboy! ;)
Yee-haw, cowgirl!

Don't ride a horse, ride a cowboy!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620177 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, man, you aren't understanding what I'm saying. Babies are not capable of learning the difference between crying "for a reason" and "crying for attention/no reason." If they get hit for crying, all they know is they got hit for crying. All they can do is make simple associations like that.
And what in the world is wrong with a baby crying for attention in the first place? They aren't being "bratty" when they cry, that's just one of the only ways they know how to communicate. Sometimes babies need attention. They are babies. They don't manipulate.
HA HA HA!!

Ya, dude. OK...... "babies don't manipulate"....

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#620178 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>See? "You just don't understand"

*sigh*

Why is it when someone disagrees with an atheist, that's the textbook comeback?

Here's three textbook examples of negative reinforcement:

Before heading out for a day at the beach, you slather on sunscreen in order to avoid getting sunburned.

You decide to clean up your mess in the kitchen in order to avoid getting in a fight with your roommate.

On Monday morning, you leave the house early in order to avoid getting stuck in traffic and being late for class.
You really do have absolutely no clue what negative reinforcement is.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620179 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>RR, take a child psych class. Please. They don't pop out of the womb with a fully realized human brain.
I know they don't. They come out with a still-developing brain.

And it's the parent's job to teach, train and develop them.

Not to be their bitch.

The parent's are in charge, not the child.

That seems a difficult concept for "lefties"...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620180 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't imply that - there were two parts of my statement - "pillaging other countries" and "removing our freedoms in the name of freedom."
And the patriot act was totally about taking away our freedoms. Terrorism is not something that can be "fought," that's absurd, you can't go to war with a concept or a method. The best way to "defend" against terrorism is to refuse to be terrorized, which we failed at miserably. We turned on eachother and allowed the government and the media to instill paranoia and fear in us all, so that they could have their wars and force their ridiculous legislation on to the populace. And in fact, they took advantage of the fear so well that people like you actually asked for their freedoms to be taken away - you, a so called "conservative" who sees no problem with letting the government have unprecedented power to spy, arrest, torture, and otherwise trample our freedoms under the guise of "security."
"We turned on eachother and allowed the government and the media to instill paranoia and fear in us all"

Did "we" do that?

'cuz I remember quite differently.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620181 Apr 27, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesn't ever prove the existence of a God. This proves that guy was really lucky.
Prove it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620182 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
It's a baby. It doesn't know how else to communicate it's needs, and when you hit it for crying {{{{SNIP}}}}
First, babaies CAN and DO communicate their needs.

Second, I NEVER said to hit a baby for crying.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620183 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
No one is saying they are "stupid," or that they don't learn fast, just that they don't think at a mature level yet.
So then you advocate spankings only when the child is mature?

Doncha think that's a little too late to start?
The fact that they learn fast is in fact the problem here. Hitting them to get them to stop doing a certain behavior is called negative reinforcement, and the baby will quickly learn that crying might get it hit.
BINGO!

The baby learns very quickly that they can't throw a fit when you take a toy away at bedtime, or when they refuse to eat their food and throw it on the floor, or when they yank on the dog's ears....
He will not understand that he should only cry for the "right reason," he will only learn that crying might bring pain.
Get your mind out of the gutter - this debate is not about a baby crying, it's about their actions.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620184 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:

"Damn liberals?" That's funny. The "damn liberals" have to defend our basic rights from the right,
HA HA HA!!!!

Sorry, timn. I had to stop ya there.

You think liberals "defend our rights"????

Then why the f_ck are they trying to deny us our right to bear arms?

Amongst many other rights the liberals want to take away - like the right to use a God damned plastic bag at the grocery store if I feel like it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#620185 Apr 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You clearly aren't familiar with psychology, psuedo or otherwise. That is not what is meant by negative reinforcement.
Also, are you a scientologist or something? Do you think of the entire field of psychology as a giant sham?
There it is again....

"You don't understand"

UGH!

Here, read psychology.about.com

It'll tell ya all about it.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#620186 Apr 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
See? "You just don't understand"
*sigh*
Why is it when someone disagrees with an atheist, that's the textbook comeback?
Here's three textbook examples of negative reinforcement:
Before heading out for a day at the beach, you slather on sunscreen in order to avoid getting sunburned.
You decide to clean up your mess in the kitchen in order to avoid getting in a fight with your roommate.
On Monday morning, you leave the house early in order to avoid getting stuck in traffic and being late for class.
Nevermind, I was mixing up negative reinforcement and positive punishment.

The point is, spanking a 6 month old child for crying does nothing but create a fear of crying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should I marry this ugly blonde German girl or ... 5 min Sheetzz69 5
Are there any sexy single bisexual girls out there (Feb '14) 9 min Sheetzz69 3
9/11&bin 34 min REV CAROL 1
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 44 min AN NFL FAN 121,624
Relgo Networks-Lead Generation through multiple... 1 hr Ajay 4
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 40,113
Rajkot gay Topix 1 hr Ziyan1990 35
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Paul Porter1 442,612
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Clearwater 176,432
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr robertxiong 98,926
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr guest 583,189
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr lil whispers 611,787
More from around the web