“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#619941 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
And.....
"Hitting is wrong. To hit someone is a violent thing to do. Violence is a thing one person does to make another person hurt. With children we do not want to do things that hurt or harm them. We want to be firm and consistent, yet kind and gentle... not harsh. We want to be tender, merciful and compassionate.
There is no situation that changes the act of hitting someone from a wrong thing into a right thing. There is no excuse that magically turns hurting someone on purpose into a kind or merciful thing. This is confusing, though, isn't it? Defending ourselves from physical attack (one of few examples) might be less wrong than the physical attack itself. But the law sets a limit for this rare sort of situation. The law limits a physical defense that involves hitting someone to interrupting only or ending only the attack upon the physical safety of a person.
The laws that also allow the physical punishment of children do not magically make hitting a child a better 'wrong' thing to do or the 'lesser of two bad things'. They only allow it. They state that parental physical aggression is not illegal. But hitting children is not tender or compassionate treatment. Hitting children is not better than treating them in ways that do not hurt. It does not model the way we want our children to act. Some day our society will be kinder, gentler and less violent when we all stop hitting children.
To stop hitting children will mean, by the very extermination of the practice, that we will be less violent.
Of course, most of us do not say to our children, "hitting is right" or "hitting is a good thing to do." We do not really believe that it is a good thing to hit people. Most of us deny that we are 'in favor' of hitting children. However, most of us also behave as if it is a good thing to do. Most of us are in favor of spanking and physical punishment. And the law attempts to make a physical attack on a child's body a thing that is all right to do.
The way a spanking looks and feels must be confusing for children. How can they tell what it means? Parents are their example of what is right and good. Parents' behavior is their example of what love looks and feels like. Hitting a child seems to say that it is all right to hit people... even loved ones. When a person wants to control others, it must be okay to hit them, spanking seems to say.
There is no obligation or duty to hit children. No one of us can show that anything bad happens if we do not hit children. No one can show that children become less well behaved if we do not hit them.
When people think of not hitting children, however, they often feel afraid and uncertain. What do they fear? Are they just uncomfortable with the unknown or the untried? Do they just doubt what they have not yet experienced? They do not really know that anything bad will happen. It is enough for them, it seems, that they believe that something bad will happen. Since people usually do not really think about many of their beliefs, it is hard to use reason to help them to be unafraid."
http://www.neverhitachild.org/
Huh....

"Never hit a child" advice from neverhitachild.org ?

That's like "the bible is evil" advice from evilbible.com

LOL, you can guess what advice you're gonna get...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619942 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>And....
"Spanking is a euphemism for hitting.
One is not permitted to hit one's spouse or a stranger; these actions are considered domestic violence and/or assault.
Nor should one be permitted to hit a smaller and even more vulnerable child.
Huh...

Is it illegal for your husband to smack your ass?

No?

Odd...

When there's a peaceful purpose behind it, it's OK.

But I know, as a liberal you want everything to be illegal and gub'ment enforced.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619943 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I have two sons and 9 nieces and nephews.
Safe to say I've discovered it first hand.
You haven't.
Largelanguage wrote:

Explain how you learnt it first hand.
Um.... Because I have two sons and 9 nieces and nephews.....
You never spent time with them, you are a liar.
Yes I have, tons of time. You're lying.
Or you really don't have kids.
Well then who are those teenagers eating all that food and smelling of B.O.?
When a kid screams and cries when you take away his toy, it is because he wants you to play, he is upset, that is why he is crying, he is not crying to manipulate you.
And at some point a parent needs to take charge.

It's bedtime, no more toys!, for example.
Maybe you are just so insecure you want to even resist babies crying because you are worried they might be taking advantage of you.
As a parent, I got real used to kids crying - you kinda learn to zone it out.

As a non-parent, I don't expect you to understand.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#619944 Apr 26, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>nano's the whole package; smart, holy and HOT - the frig'n girl's got it all!
Yeah.

She's a real sweetheart.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#619945 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Violence has nothing to do with disciplining a child.
Edited for moronic and nonsensical rambling....

Right- I agree. Then why do you use violence to discipline children?

RR, call it whatever you like- ANY form of hitting IS a form of PHYSICAL violence.

You could be ARRESTED for even just lightly slapping an adult or a stranger or a child who is not your own.

But because our laws don't prevent parents from striking their children that makes it perfectly okay with you, huh?

RR, you LIKE to beat into submission those who are smaller and weaker than you and because you are SO small and SO weak, the only ones you can't beat on are babies and dogs.

And I don't mean small and weak in the physical sense, but in the psychological sense in that you are a very small, very weak and very sorry excuse for a man.

REAL man do NOT hit- EVER.

ENOUGH on this already- it's grown as tiresome as your repeated bleating of "prove you have hands".

You like to use physical force against those weaker and smaller than you.

PERIOD. End of story.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#619946 Apr 26, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if you can stop being a judgemental ass.
Stop trying to deny established science.
Stop coming across as being superior.
Stop asserting what you don't know as fact.
Stop making claims without supporting evidence.
Otherwise, I'm not interested.
in other words, you'll only accept me if i conform to your way of thinking. sorry, but history has proven that it's much too dangerous for me to subject myself to your fascist form of control.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619947 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh...
Is it illegal for your husband to smack your ass?
No?
Odd...
When there's a peaceful purpose behind it, it's OK.
But I know, as a liberal you want everything to be illegal and gub'ment enforced.
I could have him charged with physical abuse for that. The laws protect adults from any sort of physical force or violence.

If he smacks my ass without my consent or if he bruises me, he could be arrested for that.

Too bad small children don't have that same legal recourse.

Hell NO I do NOT want everything to be illegal- not by a LONG shot, so take that dopey ASSumption and shove it.......

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619948 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh....
"Never hit a child" advice from neverhitachild.org ?
That's like "the bible is evil" advice from evilbible.com
LOL, you can guess what advice you're gonna get...
Or using the bible to prove god.....

And how "conveniently" you didn't post any responses to the other sources I cited.

AGAIN- being MARRIED does not make one an EXPERT on marriage or qualified to give marital advice- just as being a PARENT does not make on and EXPERT on parenting or qualified to give parenting advice.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619949 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
pfft.... "psychological injury".... You're such a pussy liberal.
<quoted text>
ME?! You're the one that has NEVER raised a child telling me that you "can't discipline" a baby.
Sheesh!
<quoted text>
See? More ignorance....
Do tell, please.
What is it you can talk to a 6 month old about?
<quoted text>
Violence has nothing to do with disciplining a child.
Oops!

RR, you LIKE to beat into submission those who are smaller and weaker than you and because you are SO small and SO weak, the only ones you **CAN** beat on are babies and dogs.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619950 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I have two sons and 9 nieces and nephews.
Safe to say I've discovered it first hand.
You haven't.
<quoted text>
Um.... Because I have two sons and 9 nieces and nephews.....
<quoted text>
Yes I have, tons of time. You're lying.
<quoted text>
Well then who are those teenagers eating all that food and smelling of B.O.?
<quoted text>
And at some point a parent needs to take charge.
It's bedtime, no more toys!, for example.
<quoted text>
As a parent, I got real used to kids crying - you kinda learn to zone it out.
As a non-parent, I don't expect you to understand.
So if you learn to "zone it out" why do you resort to hitting?

BTW, I have quite the passel of nieces and nephews myself- many of whom I spent a LOT of time helping to raise when they were babies and young children.

I'll BET I've changed more diapers in MY life than you ever have in yours.

And that's just for starters......

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619951 Apr 26, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
in other words, you'll only accept me if i conform to your way of thinking. sorry, but history has proven that it's much too dangerous for me to subject myself to your fascist form of control.
As opposed to the bible god's fascist form of control.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619952 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"We'll done"??
O_o
You know that he's supporting my notion of how ridiculous it is to take sex advice from a virgin and likening it to taking parental advice from a non-parent(you)?
HA HA HA!!!
And you agree!
Oh man- and here I thought that was a 747 flying over your pointy little head.

He was making the point that it's perfectly acceptable for priests to give marriage counseling, so why wouldn't it be perfectly acceptable for someone who never had kids to have valid opinions on child-rearing?

DAMN! You are SO obtuse!!!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619954 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"We'll done"??
O_o
You know that he's supporting my notion of how ridiculous it is to take sex advice from a virgin and likening it to taking parental advice from a non-parent(you)?
HA HA HA!!!
And you agree!
You are such a MORON!!! You think someone who has sex is an EXPERT on sex and is qualified to give advice on sex?

You think all someone has to do is be married to be qualified dispense marital advice.

You think all someone has to do is have kids to be qualified to dispense parenting advice.

You think all someone has to do is have sex to be qualified to dispense sex advice.

It doesn't matter one bit to you if the person giving advice has a lousy marriage, is a lousy person or is a lousy lay.

You think just having the EXPERIENCE of any of the above qualifies a person to dispense advice on any of the above.

Yep- you're a MORON. And gee- one doesn't have to be a moron themselves to identify those who are.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619955 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"We'll done"??
O_o
HA HA HA!!!
And you agree!
Oops- again.....

Should read:

It doesn't matter one bit to you if the person giving advice has a lousy marriage, is a lousy *parent* or is a lousy lay.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#619956 Apr 26, 2013
Cuneiform Tablets

Cuneiform was a system of writing used by different language groups in the ancient Near and Middle Eastern regions to inscribe information in a variety of languages. It was used for over three thousand years, from the dawn of the postdiluvial civilizations until after the Jewish Diaspora in A.D. 70. The word “cuneiform” derives from the Latin word “cuneus” which means “wedge.”“Cuneiform” literally means “wedge form,” or “wedge shaped.” The wedge-shaped letters were pressed into a clay tablet using a stylus usually made of reed. The wet clay was then baked or left to dry. Cuneiform was for the most part deciphered by archaeologists Sir Henry Creswicke Rawlinson and Georg Friedrich Grotefend in the mid to late 19th century, though there are many cuneiform tablets written in languages which are yet to be deciphered.

Archaeologists have discovered vast libraries of cuneiform tablets in archaeological sites across the Near and Middle East. King Ashurbanipal’s library in Nineveh, for example, yielded over 22,000 cuneiform documents. The tablets from these libraries have taught archaeologists a great deal about the cultures of the ancient Middle Eastern region. Of more importance to biblical archaeologists, cuneiform tablets have served to verify various aspects of the biblical account, especially names and places.

Critics of the book of Daniel once believed that King Belshazzar of Babylon was an imaginary figure made up by the book’s author. This was because at that time there were no references to Belshazzar outside of Jewish literature. That was until cuneiform tablets discovered in the Mesopotamian region were deciphered and found to contain mention of the Babylonian king. Now Belshazzar is universally recognized to be a historical character.

A Babylonian tablet contains a reference to the seizure of Jerusalem by King Nebuchadnezzar during the reign of Jehoiachin.

Perhaps the most significant instance where we find a cuneiform reference corroborating a biblical event, is the mention of a Noah’s flood-like event in the Sumerian Gilgamesh epic. The Gilgamesh epic, written in cuneiform, discovered in Nineveh, recounts the adventures of a Sumerian king, Gilgamesh. Upon the death of his friend, Enkidu, Gilgamesh embarks upon an adventure to obtain immortality. He comes across a Noah-like figure, Utnapishtim, who along with his wife survived a global deluge. This is not the only extra-biblical reference to a worldwide deluge (there are in fact hundreds of them from all over the world), nor is it the only cuneiform reference to the flood (the Sumerian King List for example). It merely serves as an intriguing example of how an ancient cuneiform reference corroborates an important biblical event. Perhaps as more and more cuneiform artifacts are deciphered and translated we will see more such as examples as this.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619957 Apr 26, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
true dude! pets and babies are smarter than their new-age parents in that they train them what to do & when to do it by their barking and whinning!:)
LOL, yup.

Based off what I've been reading on here the past few days, it's apparent why the kids own the parents nowadays.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619958 Apr 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:

I don't think babies are stupid.
Good.
I think YOU are stupid.
aw...
Have you heard of dog years?
Yes.
Why do I even bother?

Dunno, that was a stupid question.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619959 Apr 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm in Baltimore.
China, Peru, Long Beach, Baltimore....

You're just a travel ho, aincha?

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#619960 Apr 26, 2013
The Flood - Universal Tradition
According to the Bible, every human to have lived since the Flood is a direct descendent of Noah's small remnant. It logically follows that despite the relative isolation of the various cultures that have thrived since the Flood, because every culture descended directly from the flood's survivors, traditions of this traumatic event ought to be abundant and universal, having been passed down generation to generation. Indeed, Flood traditions are both abundant and universal. Literally hundreds of Flood traditions have been preserved throughout the world, abounding in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and the Americas. Collectively, these Flood traditions serve to corroborate the Bible's Genesis Flood account. These surviving Flood traditions include two of the oldest known stories to have survived the ravishment of time's passage: China's "Hihking Classic" and Babylon's "Epic of Gilgamesh." These Flood traditions are remarkably consistent, considering the relative isolation of the cultures, the length of time since the Flood, and the human tendency to embellish and exaggerate stories over time.

The Flood - Physical Evidences
The Flood "myth" is not just some ancient allegory meant to teach us about God's judgment on sin. The Flood was a real historical event and earth's crust bears witness to this in many compelling ways. Consider the fossil record: billions of dead things buried in sedimentation ("laid-down-by-water rock") found all over the earth. Geologist Dr. John Morris explains, "Sedimentary rocks, by definition, are laid down as sediments by moving fluids, are made up of pieces of rock or other material which existed somewhere else, and were eroded or dissolved and redeposited in their present location." [1] Over 70% of the earth's surface rock is sedimentary rock (the rest of earth's surface rock is volcanic igneous and metamorphic rock). In these sedimentary rock layers, geologists find some very odd features. For example, fossilized trees buried at all angles, upside-down and right-side-up, often passing through multiple rock layers, obviously the result of a marine cataclysm. These "polystrate" fossils (poly, meaning more than one; strate, meaning rock layer) are a worldwide phenomenon.

Consider the ratios of dead things we find buried in this sedimentary rock: "95% of all fossils are marine invertebrates, particularly shellfish. Of the remaining 5%, 95% are algae and plant fossils (4.74%). 95% of the remaining 0.25% consists of the other invertebrates, including insects (0.2375%). The remaining 0.0125% includes all vertebrates, mostly fish. 95% of the few land vertebrates consist of less than one bone.(For example, only about 1,200 dinosaur skeletons have been found.)" [2]

Also consider the abundant fossil remains of marine life found atop every mountain range in the world. For example, clusters of hundreds of gigantic (300kg/650lbs) oysters found atop the Andes Mountains in South America.[3]

http://www.allaboutcreation.org/the-flood.htm

I would have to say that is some astounding evidence, to say the least!

Judge for yourself.

Would like to hear some thoughts from the science world about these findings?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619961 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
But hey- RR "expects" 6 month old babies to be capable of accepting responsibility and taking accountability, so because RR "expects" tht of a 6 month old baby, they'd better measure up- because RR EXPECTS them to!
Damn right! And my kids have always met expectations.

(They're more mature than you are..)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality is wrong-- SIMPLE FACTS you dont ... (Sep '11) 8 min toby_7 32
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min Tony17 550,767
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 24 min andet1987 4,837
Generalized NWO Rant with book references 29 min WasteWater 19
Want to be a voluntary frontal lobotomy patient? 30 min Charlie Sheen 20
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 30 min Charlie Sheen 262,056
Lebrons home coming game Cleveland Cavaliers 34 min hometheaterproz 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 36 min Just Wondering 602,756
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr bacon hater 96,408
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Chris Clearwater 174,524

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE