Prove there's a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#619844 Apr 26, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>A 6 month old does not understand the concept of "discipline." If you hit a 6 month old baby, all you are teaching them is that if they do what they were doing immediately preceding the beating, they will get hit. In this way, you will condition your child to fear crying. It will not understand "oh, I shouldn't cry unless something is *really* wrong," it will just connect the crying with the hitting.
Well that's the point, isn't it? You want your baby to learn the difference between crying when hungry or in pain or something versus crying for attention (which is usually the case).

Babies will learn quickly that there's other ways to get the parent's attention without being bratty.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619845 Apr 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
RR, I got up earlier than you today.
Know why?
Aero, thanks for letting me use your post.
Off to the gym. You? And the cigs?
Why so early?

I get up at 4:30 every day, but don't check Topix 'til usually after 5:30.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619846 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, that is apparently what RR thinks.
He thinks that 6 month old babies reason like adults, he thinks that 6 month old babies are capable of plotting and planning, he thinks that 6 month old babies will know why they are being spanked, he thinks that 6 month old babies have any concept of right and wrong, he thinks that 6 month old babies know what discipline is, he thinks that 6 month old babies know they are being punished....
Um....I think RR likes to bully anyone and everyone- including 6 month old babies.
You have no say in this, non-mom.

You're totally ignorant of what is takes to raise a child.

Your "why would you discipline a 6 month old" question is proof of that.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#619847 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I do. Just as I expect a 6 week old puppy to understand discipline.
What is it with people nowadays thinking babies are stupid?
What is with YOU thinking that just because a baby cannot accept responsibility or accountability that means people think babies are stupid?

It is YOU who is stupid for thinking that babies have ANY concept of accepting responsibility and accountability.

I just BET you're the kind of dog owner who rubs a dog's nose in his poop if he poops indoors to try to teach the dog that it's wrong to poop indoors.

What the dog actually does know is that pooping is just a natural function and that it is not "bad" to poop.

Just like a baby knows that crying is a natural function and that it is not "bad" to cry.

RR, I wouldn't trust a pet ROCK with you- let alone a baby, a dog or even a flea.

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#619848 Apr 26, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>To put it simply, consciousness is the ability to think, self awareness is the ability to think about thinking - the ability to think that there is an "I" doing the thinking.
Thank you. Now I know your definitions. And then we'll have to add one more. The sense of being. You know, the sense that you are "there" or 'alive' in the present time.
Why have you moved the goal posts so, so far? Now I have to prove how consciousness came into being to even suggest that it is associated with the physical systems that it appears to be associated with? I have already agreed with you that we do not know how consciousness works, but it does not follow that every observation we can make is therefore meaningless.
What observation have you made that leads one to believe that molecules could ever become aware of themselves if 'awareness' was never a property of matter prior to that point? That is not moving goal posts. That's where it began; you can't just skip that part and assume molecules cause consciousness because they are associated with it. There are other things associated with it that we know of, and who knows, maybe even plenty of things are associated with it that we do NOT know of. Get it?
You realize that this logic could be applied to everything in the universe? Everything we are able to observe might simply be the result of some deeper process that we have not yet uncovered, but to say that this renders all current observations meaningless is lunacy.
Again, you speak of observations; what observation/s have we made to give us a clue how molecules could ever become aware of themselves? You are sticking molecules into the same gap that others are sticking God into. Wake up.
And I did not say that cats definitively do not have a sense of self, I specifically said that based on the best tests we can devise they do not appear to have a sense of self. Certain animals pass these tests, certain animals do not. And it is not simply a matter of a cat "thinking it's reflection is another cat." Read up on the mirror test if you want to know how it works.
"Tests"? Please. It's interesting to work with it but there is no "test" for subjective experience of another being. We might get an idea how they feel or what they think but not the whole experience. This really is not relevant to what we are talking about anyway.
And really? A cat jumping out of the way proves it has a sense of self? I'm really beginning to think that you do not understand the distinction we are dealing with.
Well what would you propose it means then? Is it jumping out of the way because it thinks it is another cat? Why would it care? It senses that it is in the freekin way so it moves. Obviously it senses itself as being there. Call it reflex call it whatever; it senses it is there. This is also irrelevant.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619849 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, just because YOU expect certain behavior from puppies and babies, that does NOT mean your expectations are realistic or logical.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619850 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>You really are an illiterate moron. You're not even familiar with the story "The Night Before Christmas".
The story is about ONE house and ONE family who lived in that ONE house.
Then it's only relevant to ONE house and ONE family who lived in that ONE house....

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619851 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Example?
Patriot Act.

Want more?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619852 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no say in this, non-mom.
You're totally ignorant of what is takes to raise a child.
Your "why would you discipline a 6 month old" question is proof of that.
No- I am NOT ignorant as to what it takes to raise a child.

You thinking that a 6 month old knows ANYTHING about discipline, right from wrong or accepting responsibility and accountability tells me that you are a NON-DAD despite that you have children.

All you are is a biological parent; that is not the same as being an actual FATHER.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619853 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it's only relevant to ONE house and ONE family who lived in that ONE house....
WRONG you are- yet again.

STFU.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619854 Apr 26, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And nations are collections of people. Or do you think nations are special, somehow?
OCB wrote:
One of RR's most idiotic statements yet.
Your "war is sin" comment was pretty retarded.

...even for a Jeweist.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619855 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:

Yet RR thinks that 6 month old babies fully comprehend that Mommy and Daddy want to have a quiet dinner together,
Wrong. I didn't say that.

But not being a parent, I can understand your confusion.
so that would mean that if a 6 month old baby cries when they're having dinner, the 6 month old baby understands that crying is "wrong" and "selfish" and that a 6 month old baby would understand why they must be punished for doing what comes naturally- crying.
"crying comes naturally"? lol, true.

But so does laughter.

So does silence.

Again, I don't expect you to understand.
Frankly, how RR conceptualizes the thought process of 6 month old babies is a much more mature thought process than he possesses.
Frankly, how YOU conceptualize what a 6 month old does or doesn't do is indicitive of a person who's never reaised one.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619856 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are stupid to think it has to do with intelligence when what it has to do with are simply capabilities.

You are attempting to burden 6 month old babies with responsibilities and accountability they are not yet capable of developing.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619857 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
But hey- RR knows better because RR is a parent! So ANYTHING RR says about child-rearing is correct versus anything anyone says about child-rearing who is NOT a parent.
RR lives in a very bizarre world and all the more since he created his bizarre world all on his own.
Getting parental advice from you is like getting sex ed from a vrigin.

It's ignorant.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619858 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
It is YOU who is stupid for thinking that babies have ANY concept of accepting responsibility and accountability.
See? Ignorant.

The prosecution rests.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619859 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why so early?
I get up at 4:30 every day, but don't check Topix 'til usually after 5:30.
And then from 5:30AM on, you sit here all the livelong day until it's time for you to clock out from your worthless and meaningless "job".

And then you return on the weekends where you are here almost as much as you are during the week.

Nice family life you have there, RR......it's almost as if you go out of your way to not only neglect your job, but to neglect your wife and kids as well.

But the silver lining to that is that your family is probably thrilled to be ignored by you.

Not sure what your employer gets out of paying you to do nothing other than post on Topix every single day and all day long, but given how low a level of responsibility your job obviously is, they're probably happy just to not have you in their hair- just like your neglected family is.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619860 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No- I am NOT ignorant as to what it takes to raise a child.
Yes you are. 100%.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619861 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And nations are collections of people. Or do you think nations are special, somehow?
<quoted text>
Your "war is sin" comment was pretty retarded.
...even for a Jeweist.
War IS a sin. Just like being the war-mongering idiot you are is sinful.

Of course, what else can be expected from a person who would inflict physical violence on a 6 month old baby?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#619862 Apr 26, 2013
OCB wrote:
I just BET you're the kind of dog owner who rubs a dog's nose in his poop if he poops indoors to try to teach the dog that it's wrong to poop indoors.
What the dog actually does know is that pooping is just a natural function and that it is not "bad" to poop.
OMG....

Yes, you're teaching the dog that it's bad to poop ***indooors***.

Or do you just let your Chihuahua poop and piss all over your house because it's "natural"?

There's nothing natural about it, let the damn dog outside. TEACH him how to hold his pee and TEACH him how to let you know that he's gotta go. For example, my dogs paw at the door if they gotta go poops or pees.

It's called "training", OCB.

I know it takes effort, which is why you're so opposed to it.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#619863 Apr 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. I didn't say that.
But not being a parent, I can understand your confusion.
<quoted text>
"crying comes naturally"? lol, true.
But so does laughter.
So does silence.
Again, I don't expect you to understand.
<quoted text>
Frankly, how YOU conceptualize what a 6 month old does or doesn't do is indicitive of a person who's never reaised one.
Yeah- you basically DID say that.

If that is not what you meant, then what good would hitting a 6 month old baby do if the baby is not aware that Mommy and Daddy want to have a quiet dinner together?

RR, you think because you deposited sperm into a vagina that that makes you a PARENT.

It doesn't. It makes you what you ARE- a sperm donor.

Producing offspring doesn't mean one knows how to PARENT.

You do NOT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min LAWEST100 667,941
Oldest Language in India : Telugu or Sanskrit ?? (Feb '12) 5 min Rao 266
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min crucifiedguy 286,083
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 11 min Rosa_Winkel 92,715
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr lisw 183,629
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 619,219
Electing Donald Trump was a terrible mistake 1 hr Doctor REALITY 7
More from around the web