Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#618560 Apr 19, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
But do you spend enough time with your children?
But at first are girls at the beach a way to help sooth the guilt, but afterwards when you leave thinking about how you could have treated your family, do you feel ridden with guilt afterwards?
Your posts reveal a lot more about you than they do about anything else.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Patagonia

#618561 Apr 19, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mean, "Well that figures."?
Good one....wish I had thought of that..:-)

Location hidden

#618562 Apr 19, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not trying to say my assertion makes sense. I'm saying no assertion makes sense until we at least establish a mechanism for consciousness. You are saying that your assertion makes more sense than mine. It does not. Science admits it yet you think you are above the greatest minds on earth.
It all boils down to what I said a couple posts ago, that a group of 'consciousness-capable molecules' and a group of 'consciousness-incapable molecules' can both react to or recognize a stimulus, but one of them is aware of it while the other just reacts.
There is no molecular difference that we can put our finger on, but obviously there is a difference. What is that difference? When you can tell me then you can toot your horn.
Well, if you could point to a group of non conscious molecules that were as complex as the brain, and still weren't conscious, that support dualism. I don't think such an example exists, however. A sunflower responds to stimuli, but I would say the difference between the "non conscious capable" molecules of the sunflower and the "conscious capable" molecules of the brain is pretty apparent.

Location hidden

#618563 Apr 19, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>What evidence do you have that we are seeing the origination of that thought rather than the transmittance of an already-created thought?
And if you can prove we are seeing the origination then you still can't prove whether it is of quantum or molecular origin until you establish a mechanism for consciousness that is TESTABLE!
I don't follow this logic. To me, again, it's like saying that we can't reasonably assume that mass is involved in gravity because we don't understand the mechanism of gravity.

Location hidden

#618564 Apr 19, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text> Hold on a minute psycho pants. You did not address my point. I was thinking of abiogenesis when I said "groups of molecules react to a stimulus" so yes I am humoring you and not using the "singular".
Stay with me here Mr. A.D.D., let's go back to the moment in time just as the first consciousness was about to start functioning (assuming there was a 'first' and not an eternal one). With me?
Up til that point the molecules were undergoing reactions as they reacted to stimuli (changes in their surroundings). With me?
Ok, what is different about that last reaction that caused the whole thing to all of a sudden become aware of itself rather than just react to the stimulus as it has been doing all along?
Come on, you can do it, this should be a walk in the park.
You're saying that molecules react and form thought patterns but you don't say how they can become aware of themselves? That's the whole pie right there. How does a molecule become aware of itself? It is impossible that any science can even approach that you psycho.
Who knows? There are many interesting ideas as to how that happened. You're talking about the jump from consciousness to self awareness, right?

Location hidden

#618565 Apr 19, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text> I knew you were too psycho to understand. We all can agree that if consciousness was something that 'came into being'(rather than always being in existence) then there was a time when there wasn't consciousness and a time when there was, and the amount of awareness is besides the point.
A bunch of molecules are either aware of themselves or not you idiot. So yes there must have been an instant in time when it went from 'non-aware' to 'aware'. I'm talking about awareness you idiot. if something is the tiniest bit aware of itself then it is aware of itself, a tiny bit. That's all I have time for now, go back and rewrite your bullsh*t and address the point this time.
Your comprehension is non existent
Well, there is a difference between awareness of self and awareness. My dog is certainly aware, but she has no sense of self as far as I know.

Location hidden

#618566 Apr 19, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
Just heard on TV that the Boston Bomb Boys were Islamic.
WTF
Not good. Further justification for... something not good I assume.

Location hidden

#618567 Apr 19, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Below the quantum world is the wizarding world of Harry Potter.
Muggles will never understand.
And below that is the lore of JRR Tolkein. It's a little known fact that our world is in fact a collection of literary constructs.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#618568 Apr 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What was penrose's theory? That the brain works as a "wavefunction collapser?" That sounds more like a theory on the brain's relation to the world, not a theory of consciousness itself.
There is one thing I agree with pokay on, and that is that we don't yet know how consciousness emerges from the brain, but I don't agree with where he takes that point - his claim that since we don't know the mechanism that all observations and ideas about consciousness are meaningless. You're right, he does use the word "quantum" to mystify the issue, as if the simple suggestion that subatomic particles follow the laws of quantum mechanics is reason enough to believe consciousness is quantum in nature. To me, it's almost like someone who doesn't understand computers saying that since quantum mechanics govern tiny particles, and since computers are ultimately made up of tiny particles, that all computers are secretly quantum supercomputers. That's not the best analogy since we know hot computers work, but still..
I agree that we just like gravity, we have not answered all the questions, but am positive that consciousness was developed by the formation of the neural network and that it expanded it's complexity over time. That it was the ability of cells to store and share bits of information that led to the formation of the neural network, and the evolution of it that created consciousness.

Quantum mind is an attempt to explain quantum events from a human physical perspective, and deals with the superposition of information..thus making part of thought process a quantum event, so when thinking part of our thought is entangled.
Penrose suggested microtubules in the brain are what entangles information in the thought process and is why wave collapse happens due to the conscious effect of the observer.
It's a theoretical physics stab at explaining how the brain works like a quantum computer by joining space/time itself to connections in the brain.

Here is a precise definition of it's implications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind%E2%...

Location hidden

#618569 Apr 19, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that we just like gravity, we have not answered all the questions, but am positive that consciousness was developed by the formation of the neural network and that it expanded it's complexity over time. That it was the ability of cells to store and share bits of information that led to the formation of the neural network, and the evolution of it that created consciousness.
Quantum mind is an attempt to explain quantum events from a human physical perspective, and deals with the superposition of information..thus making part of thought process a quantum event, so when thinking part of our thought is entangled.
Penrose suggested microtubules in the brain are what entangles information in the thought process and is why wave collapse happens due to the conscious effect of the observer.
It's a theoretical physics stab at explaining how the brain works like a quantum computer by joining space/time itself to connections in the brain.
Here is a precise definition of it's implications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind%E2%...
Thanks for link.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#618570 Apr 19, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always wondered what a sunrise or sunset looks like in the "Land Down Under".
I'd love to visit your country, but I've heard mixed feelings bout us Americans.
This is what I've heard...
The Aussie men don't like us, because when we come to Australia, the Aussie women dig us and want to be around us, which upsets the men.
Is this a myth or just bullshite?
:o)
http://www.whyworldwhy.com/wp-content/uploads...

Location hidden

#618572 Apr 20, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>All ya need is duct tape an' a pistol.
paddles?

Location hidden

#618573 Apr 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
And a van with no back windows.
Wait, you're talking about something else.
Stop telling people how we met.

Location hidden

#618574 Apr 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mean, "Well that figures."?
They were obviously gay.

Ooops, I'm not on the Christian forum.

Never mind.

Location hidden

#618575 Apr 20, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And below that is the lore of JRR Tolkein. It's a little known fact that our world is in fact a collection of literary constructs.
Today you are you!
That is truer than true!
There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

Dr. Seuss

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#618576 Apr 20, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
Stop telling people how we met.
I just want you to know, I don't hold a grudge.

The hair all grew back. We're cool.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#618577 Apr 20, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, and we always wil have differing opinions, until such time as any evidence is found to actually prove anything of a supernatural nature. So far nothing is known, as far as my understanding goes.
I highly suspect, due to the high value so much of the world places on theism, that an actual proof will be major knowledge to everyone capable of receiving that info, and if it is verifiable proof then God would become a proved entity rather than one that some parts of the world believe in.
Ive always wonderd what evidence one would want from a supernatural being?

A signed letter of authinticity? An audiable voice from heaven? The Holy Bible which i know is a myth to you, But it says one must have faith, and there shall be no sign giving.

So the only (personal) proof,evidence i ever got from God was when i put my faith and trust into him with my whole heart, its more then just a decision with the brain but a commitment from the heart. I sought God ( not religion, not mans doctrines, denominations and such, but God..

I know its hard to believe in something you cant see touch or feel, i have been right there in that position. His words describes the ''only way to know of him, so i would think if one doesnt come that way. Well, then he will never have that proof he seeks.

welp time for bed, gonna ride 4 wheelers morrow..

Have a good one boots!

Location hidden

#618578 Apr 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want you to know, I don't hold a grudge.
The hair all grew back. We're cool.
Sorry about your back.

I made a sweater from my dryer trap collection.

It's gray and itchy.

So is my dog.

Go figure.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#618579 Apr 20, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Mac and Water Nymph.
I'm going to share this.
:-)

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#618580 Apr 20, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
paddles?
Nah, I just fire over the stern. That makes it rocket-propelled...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Feds Are Playing A Very Dangerous Game 7 min FUNG 11
The Many Secrets Of Kay Hagan...Lindsey Graham.... 22 min FUNG 7
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 29 min bmz 96,462
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 32 min bmz 37,358
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 37 min Little Voice 174
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 38 min marge 550,997
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 42 min mike 441,501
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 262,096
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr BenAdam 602,855

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE