OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#618409 Apr 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
'twas a joke - that slipped your limited mind.
But RR, your "jokes" are rarely funny and I am not the only person here who thinks this.

But because of your limited mind, you often think you are being funny, witty, clever and humorous when that is simply not the case.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#618410 Apr 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't do that.
...on topix.
Sigh....and you can't do it ANYWHERE.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#618411 Apr 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people just can't handle political incorrectness.
It's not about being PC.

You like to put down other countries. You have said much to indicate that you are a xenophobe.

You have little regard or interest in other countries, other cultures and other peoples.

I haven't told you several times that you're an isolated and insular American for no reason, RR.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#618412 Apr 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it really called that?
...googles...
Damn, sure is. Lol.
Why? Cuz all the old folks?
No, RR- I made it up. <rolls eyes...>

But thanks for confirming what I told you and already knew....

Yes- at one time because of the "old folks". However, the Miami of then is not the Miami of now.

Miami is a rockin' out city- and South Beach is the place to be when in Miami- WAAAYYYY cool!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#618413 Apr 19, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No, RR- I made it up. <rolls eyes...>
But thanks for confirming what I told you and already knew....
Yes- at one time because of the "old folks". However, the Miami of then is not the Miami of now.
Miami is a rockin' out city- and South Beach is the place to be when in Miami- WAAAYYYY cool!
When I moved here, many of my friends made fun of me - "gonna move with all of the old farts?"

My first free weekend happened to coincide with Spring Break. I took the good camera to the beach, and fired off two rolls of film.

That shut 'em up...
Largelanguage

Wrexham, UK

#618414 Apr 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
I wrote "I'll come cost you" when I meant to write "I'll come see you"
This is very simple, Lunger. Even for you.
No, you didn't, liar! You written, as I remember it, "I'll come cost see you". And how do you know you didn't? You are only a bigot, a moron, and a foolish know it all child who thinks he knows everything, when he doesn't know shit! You are the same child who needs to be beaten and raped by his parents to teach him not to be so cocky!
Largelanguage

Wrexham, UK

#618415 Apr 19, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>When I moved here, many of my friends made fun of me - "gonna move with all of the old farts?"
My first free weekend happened to coincide with Spring Break. I took the good camera to the beach, and fired off two rolls of film.
That shut 'em up...
Did you waste money on ugly pictures and a useless holiday with boring scenery?

Did you feel guilty for wasting money for yourself that you should have used to support your family and take them on proper holidays?

You are very selfish! Well, I hope you did feel guilty!

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#618416 Apr 19, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
"but how is one created by previously unconscious matter?"
This is where your premise fails. It's the way you are looking at it as a singular event.........
Sorry you put in all that work for me to ignore. I have no time for this merry go round anymore. I might entertain Tim a little longer, at least he is hanging a *little* more to the middle; you are completely lost. I did check out your links and I see nothing there, as usual, that can make a molecular speculation for consciousness any more probable than a quantum one. Your buddy Tim admits that, why can't you? You have no evidence to say what you say.

I see you have ignored everything I said. You haven't responded specifically to what I have had to say so there is no point in me trying to converse with you when you ignore what I say. Besides I have a life outside of topix.

Location hidden

#618417 Apr 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me, what exactly do you mean when you say "quantum consciousness." Like, you know that when I talk about consciousness that I think that it somehow emerges from neuronal communication within the brain. So what do you mean?
I asked you before how you define "consciousness". I asked if you look at it as only 'the ability to respond to a stimulus' and got no answer. If that's all you want to make consciousness out to be, then I agree with you, but to me it is all about the 'creation of thought' and the 'sense of being'. And "quantum consciousness" simply refers to the speculation that consciousness originates as a sub-atomic phenomenon. I have nothing directly correlating it just as you have nothing to correlate it because neither of us know what consciousness really is.

Location hidden

#618418 Apr 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
Tell me
OK. Starting from the top.
Do you agree that a transition from 'nonexistence'(nothingness) to 'existence'(somethingness) is impossible? It makes no sense anyway. Given that, the only explanation we have is that this reality we experience, the energy that is the "father of all things" (from which matter re-precipitates after a big bang) was always in existence and therefore we can call it eternal. The 'quick assertion' would be to say that there is no reason to believe things were ever much different, allowing for certain "cycles" to take place within that framework, and then one could just postulate that consciousness 'always was' in the same manner as energy 'always was'.

But I won't assume that. Let's assume that there was a transition from 'non-existence of unconsciousness' to 'existence of consciousness'. OK you guys argue that unconscious matter in the form of molecules arranged itself and, by chance, happened to start storing information, and you argue that this is somehow evidence that a molecular consciousness emerged. First of all how do you prove it was stored by chance and not by some conscious will that always existed?

Second, it doesn't matter how much information is stored; if there is no consciousness in existence, then that information is meaningless. More importantly, information is just information but it is the RECOGNITION OF THAT INFORMATION that we HAVE NO EVIDENCE FOR, and it is the recognition of that information that resembles consciousness.

You have no correlation to consciousness either, that's the point, no one does. Time you humbled yourself a little.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#618419 Apr 19, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>When I moved here, many of my friends made fun of me - "gonna move with all of the old farts?"
That shut 'em up...
Yeah- I got a lot of ribbing too even though I moved to Orlando- a lot of retirees do move here, but the influx of young people and young families over the past 17 years has been astounding.

And downtown Orlando totally rocks out at night and pretty much every night of the week.

And a lot of Spring Breakers come to Orlando too.

Location hidden

#618420 Apr 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe "changing" wasn't the best word - you are introducing new elements to your claim that weren't apparent before. At first, it was just an eternal quantum consciousness and you gave the impression that each person possessed a singular consciousness that lived on, consciously, after death. Then it became "maybe we aren't conscious" after death, and then it became "we all go back to a singular consciousness after death." Maybe that was the idea all along, but it wasn't obvious to me. As you went, you made your position harder and harder to argue against, mainly because you removed the problem of an incorporeal conscious being.
I never said we aren't conscious after death, I said maybe we won't be able to think or feel or touch. I said all we might be able to do is to sense that we exist. That is my GUESS, it is worthless speculation. This is negligibly trivial to the subject matter at hand.

As I went along I was merely entertaining some of your questions, in just about every post I've had to repeat myself that my only point is, well you know what it is by now.

Location hidden

#618421 Apr 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Correlate quantum phenomena with conscious thought. Then you have a leg to stand on. Until then, quit with your ranting. I am asking you to resolve problems with your claim, and you keep refusing to do so.
Dumb@$$, I'm not claiming anything. I'm telling you friggin again that molecular speculation is no more probable than quantum speculation, since both realities" are associated with life. And furthermore, only 'quantum' is associated with everything in existence. You can't say that about molecules.

You still think that the 'inability of a person with alzheimers to respond to a stimulus' is evidence that consciousness is molecular. If the brain is just hardware then that proves nothing.

You have to establish consciousness first you @$$,*then* you can correlate all you want.

Location hidden

#618422 Apr 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly! We can use rocket ships to escape the pull of earth's gravity, but how do we know what we're really escaping? Is it gravity caused by the earth, or are there pixies pulling on the rocketship? You know, since we don't have a discrete mechanism for gravity, that means we really can't *know* if mass has anything at all to do with it.
Honestly, dude, I understand where you are coming from - consciousness is a mystery and we don't know how it occurs, but you're going to have to admit at some point that if we can see conscious thought "taking place" in the brain, that's a compelling argument that the brain has *something* to do with it. Maybe it will turn out that it doesn't and something else is going on, but for the time being it appears that the brain is pretty important.
There, you admit it again, that consciousness is a mystery. Thank you.

It is you that has to admit that we cannot know we are "seeing" conscious thought in the brain, we are seeing the transmittance of an already formed thought. We are not seeing the origination of that thought. What evidence do you have to assert that?

Location hidden

#618423 Apr 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
we can see conscious thought "taking place" in the brain
Even if it were possible to observe the origination of conscious thought we could never differentiate how it is formed, which means we could never know whether it is a quantum phenomenon or a molecular one. You have no leg to stand on if you try to say that a molecular mechanism is more likely than a quantum one.

I'm running out of time for this merry go round, but as long as you have something pertinent to say I will try to entertain it.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#618424 Apr 19, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>So just what is god's doing? I assume you think that the god you believe in isn't at fault for anything bad that happens to anyone; so does that also mean that the god you believe in isn't responsible for anything good that happens to anyone?
Joshua: 24:15

Location hidden

#618425 Apr 19, 2013
When I say "recognition of information", I know we can call a chemical reaction a "recognition", but what I mean is more like this.

'Cause and effect' is a reality that can theoretically exist with or without consciousness. I think we can all agree on that.

A molecule or an organized group of them can 'react to' or "recognize" a stimulus whether there is consciousness involved or not, so what makes one group of molecules AWARE of this reaction while the other group simply reacts to it?

That's the difference. And we have no way of differentiating that scientifically and that's why science admits there is no way to study consciuousness. I'll repeat again what was in one of Aura's links, "consciousness is beyond the scope of science at the present time".

Location hidden

#618426 Apr 19, 2013
I'm a friggin molecule. I'm an unconscious molecule that is living a lie and believing it is conscious; my consciousness is not real, it is meaningless because it just a "reaction" or state of unconscious matter that just so happens to be "here".

Sounds like someone on an acid trip. But that's what you guys sound like when you think you know what consciousness is or where it originates. That is your reality. Not that I need meaning; I would rather I had none, but I still feel that consciousness is eternal.

Even if it were possible to know it originates from molecular interaction, does that really give us understanding?

There is no absolute knowledge for us. What that means is that we have invented everything we think and talk about. Every word is a "label", not an understanding of what something truly is.

I sometimes say that the only thing we know for sure is that we exist, and while true, we still don't know what that "means". Existence itself is beyond our explanation.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#618427 Apr 19, 2013
My Portal wrote:
<quoted text>Joshua: 24:15
Don't really want scripture- what is your own opinion/belief?

Or are your opinions/beliefs based solely on scripture?

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#618428 Apr 19, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>ROFL.
That's just Florida.
Like earthquakes in California
- one gets used to it.
LOL - not this one!
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and my kayak's an inflatable.
(O_O)( >_< )(O_O)

I think I will stay mute on this one because my initial response to reading the above, would have had you laughing hysterically at me. <<blush>>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min hojo 567,254
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 9 min ChromiuMan 5,751
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 17 min patric 434
Last Word + 2 (Jul '14) 21 min andet1987 1,019
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 25 min andet1987 4,569
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 28 min andet1987 1,321
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 29 min graciousaint 251
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr truth 607,032
Scientific proof for God's existence 1 hr HipGnosis 477
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 267,249