|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Expert in all things wrote:
<quoted text>
So how many predictions would it take to be impressive?
It's not about a straight up tally, it's about how many are "right" in relation to how many are wrong. Other things, like specificity, accuracy, depth, etc. are more important than how many.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

DeAngelo of Memphis wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, eyewitness accounts would sure hold up in a court of law, wouldn't it? Most times when we can't trust the word of someone we dont know who says that they saw something and had given detailed descriptions, it is most likely because we tell big lies ourselves and think that someone is always gonna lie to us. A story from an eyewitness woud be acceptable to me as evidence of something did happen. And I never said trust me. I dont know U! I said trust that there is info that supports the fact that extra beings have and still are visiting. If I saw an angel, I wouldn't know that it's an angel. The depictions of angels are just a european look that were passed down to try an convince the conquered peoples of color that white skin-peoples were superior to all and that if people of color (red, black, brown, yellow) were to believe that God is white, then it would be easier to oppress because at the same time people would associate a white man to a white savior and would not find it hard to submit to the will of the europeans. A total distortion of the past has created a bunch of religious nuts who can't tell the difference between God's word and the words of mere men. Aw yea, as far as extra beings, the evidence is there but I can't provide U with it because U already have it. U've just been caught up in the misinformation campaign and decided not to believe until some scientist or government agency tells U to. Remember the lies about Roswell? People laid on their deathbeds and finally came forward about the cover-up of the crash site because in the end, there's nothing to lose. These beings were most likely referred to as Gods.
Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable. The fact that courts accept it does not make it any better. And eyewitness testimony becomes even more suspect when it is part of a narrative that depends on said testimony.

I don't have "evidence of other beings." You're being obtuse. Share this evidence, or admit that you don't have it. And wtf are you talking about roswell for? What in the world does that have to do with anything?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
As do the faithless.....
I am very open to new information. There is nothing about my worldview that precludes me from believing in a god. It would actually be nice to think that there's some anthropomorphic deity up in the sky looking down on me, wishing me well. I just don't have the evidence to justify such a belief.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
But it's not Greek mythology that occupies your time is it?
We don't live in ancient greece. Christianity is the dominant religion in our culture.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter. No answer would suffice. No proof would be sufficient. His mind is already made up and closed.
It's absolutely not. I see no reason to differentiate between the vague predictions of your bible, and say, the vague predictions of ms. cleo. Or the prophecies of the upinishads, or the koran, etc. You wouldn't see a difference either, if you weren't christian. Give me other evidence aside from a staggeringly low prophetic success rate and I will consider your position.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

<quoted text>
That is the point ain't it? Afraid to follow the evidence, no matter where it leads.
*Shudder* You're right, of course. I am terrified,*terrified*, of the notion that I might get to spend eternity in paradise with all of my friends and family.

Seriously, guys, your religion isn't as off putting as you make it out to be. It doesn't require any deep spiritual transformation or lifestyle change. It's just - "believe, and we're cool. You'll get to see heaven when you die."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Where I'm from the first cry would be, "I seen it first, I get to shoot it".
Ahahah.
Namu Myoho Renge Kyo

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

See what well know atheist Sam Harris has to say about Buddhism.
http://www.nichirenbuddhist.org/

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Holy shit that was funny.
One of my all-time favourite pieces of poetic prose in the whole English language.

Along with Grahame's "Piper at the Gates of Dawn".

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>My goodness. Now I feel bad for even responding to you. You're special.
Make nice, willya?

The Qur'an enjoins us to be kind to the Afflicted of Allah.

Hehehe.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

<quoted text>
So how many predictions would it take to be impressive?
One.

Lottery numbers.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

<quoted text>
Are you not okay with contradictions in your world view?
Or do you agree with the laws of logic, such as the law of non-contradiction?
The law of non-contradiction only applies AFTER the law of identity has been satisfied.

For that to occur, you must first define your terms.

Go ahead.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
Yeah, I took that as word salad too.
youtube

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable. The fact that courts accept it does not make it any better. And eyewitness testimony becomes even more suspect when it is part of a narrative that depends on said testimony.
I don't have "evidence of other beings." You're being obtuse. Share this evidence, or admit that you don't have it. And wtf are you talking about roswell for? What in the world does that have to do with anything?
And the credibility of eyewitness is coming under more and more scrutiny.

Much depends on the validity of the eyewitness testimony, the credibility of the eyewitness and how much time passes between what was witnessed and when that testimony is given.

"A Check on Bad Eyewitness Identifications
Published: December 5, 2012

The Oregon Supreme Court in a unanimous decision last week upended how eyewitness identification is to be used in criminal trials. The landmark ruling shifts the burden of proof to prosecutors to show that such identification is sufficiently reliable to be admissible as evidence at trial.

****Misidentification is the country’s leading cause of wrongful convictions.***** By altering the legal standard, Oregon has set an example that other states and the federal courts would be wise to follow."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/opinion/a-c...

"The Innocence Project is a nonprofit team of attorneys and law students that re-examines questionable murder convictions with the hope of using DNA evidence to overturn the sentences of defendents who've been wrongfully imprisoned.

****In the first 130 cases the Innocence Project overturned, eyewitness testimony played a part in 78 percent of those wrongful convictions [source: Stambor].*****

http://www.howstuffworks.com/eyewitnesses-unr...

"However, the New Jersey court has become the latest institution to question this kind of evidence, noting a "troubling lack of reliability" in eyewitness identifications. The unanimous judgment by the state court says that the tests for eyewitness reliability, set out by the US supreme court 34 years ago, should be revised."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/aug/30/us-...

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

"....credibility of eyewitness *testimony*......"

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop smoking. It's unhealthy behaviour.
Nu-uh!

It calms my mind.

Stop spelling it behaviour, that's unhealthy behavior.

:p

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
6000+ years or so of no evidence of any gods.
I'd say it's pretty much a fact until it gets disproven.
Good luck with that.
Of course you dismiss our individual experiences with God....

Yes, God is a fact unless you can disprove Him.

Thanks.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
"Wurd"?
Wurd

Dawg
feces for jesus

Westbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
But it's not Greek mythology that occupies your time is it?
Unless you count the bibles distortion of hades into "hell".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Red's Roadside Pub (Jun '10) 3 min Ricky F 909
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min ChristineM 226,150
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 43 min Aura Mytha 257,753
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 599,750
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr seriously the ori... 538,590
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 1 hr Elohimsokie 2,412
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr KiMare 94,605
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Le_le 173,257
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••