Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. It doesn't bother me at all.
What bothers me is how some of you try to redefine words to match your own desires and thoughts.
An atheist does more than just not believe in a god, they don't believe ANY god can or does exist.
It's really that simple.
You think there *may* be a god. You're not sure though.
You're agnostic. So what? Does that trouble you?
And you are an atheist, too. You don't believe in the thousands of other Gods except your own.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with evolution. However how could eye's have been a new biological function which was a spontaneous creative invention, when all animals have them?
They started with light sensitive nerve endings, which were an obvious advantage to survival enabling those organisms that had them to pass them along.
nurface

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes many Christians were killed for what they believed in. You say this as if your discounting all the others that died at the hands of RC, Christians and Protestants, Jew's Muslims, you've all had a great go at killing, thou it doth say "thou shall not kill" in a commandment somewhere; so I've heard. And though I'm not religious, that makes sense to me.
No, not all.. I was not prejudice in saying what i said.
Don't you go taking all the glory, it isn't just religious people that have fought and died for their countries, for the Freedom of speech. Atheists and Agnostics fought, held hands with the religious ones; implying Atheists and Agnostics are yellow.
You are projecting here? I never once implied your silly assumption..
Of course it isn't true that, "you" all hide and fear what waits after death. That's the same as me saying you only believe in God because of what you fear. Your God, from what I've learnt about him isn't going to be too happy with you lot on here, judging and insulting people, acting so superior. I'd be so "fearful", if I were you.
I agree, God is not pleased with the actions of ''so called Christians'' repeat so called.. Not saying that i 'know' that they arent Christians but actions speak louder then words so to speak.

I am no better or no less then you or any Atheist, or unbeliever. I am a human just the same as them.....

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
macumazahn wrote:
No.
Atheism is not a belief.
It's a conclusion.
<quoted text>
Assumptions.
No.

Evidence.

Atheism has it.

Religion has folklore.

And despite recent frantic efforts to re-label that folklore in terms that sound scientific, or distort both the science and the folklore beyond all recognition so that they sorta might fit*, it's still folklore.

You've been told this repeatedly, and on some level you know that what you're spouting is factually nonsense, but you've invested so much effort and time into it that you simply cannot admit it.

That, or you're a Poe.

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence?
I never seen no evidence of evolution taking place!
When has anyone seen one species turn into another species?
I watched my ex-wife morph into a gelatinous creature in a year and a half. Does that count?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So what happens to those unfortunate few who are born flat footed? Are they doomed?
No one is born flat footed, it's a preference.

:)

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

nurface wrote:
<quoted text>
Darwin did,, he ate some shroons and drawed them on a piece of paper, LOL,,,
*sigh*

No scientist has ever directly observed fusion at the nuclear level, either.

That doesn't prevent it from being demonstrably true.

I refer you to Eniwetok, Bikini Atoll, Christmas Island...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Tehee Candor wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched a ridiculous show last evening and it's so ridiculous I shall not mention the name unless really pressed. There was a rich woman who claimed she made a glass refridge and therefore if she wanted to,,,, she could indeed watch that hot water turn to ice. Hmmmm, wonder how long it takes?:)
I am enjoying watching your banter RR and sorry I called you a RN earlier. Haha It's almost Monday,,,, wuuuupie!(not)
Ugh it's already Monday....

Is it me or do the weekends seem to be going by much faster?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>River, you are just being dumb at this point. I guess you just aren't good at reading. "Rejection of belief" means just that - not believing in a deity. I don't reject the possibility altogether because I cannot conclusively rule out the existence of a deity, I simply don't believe in one.
I don't "believe there may be a god," I just assert that given our current knowledge it is impossible to rule a god out, no matter how improbable one may be. I think that quote I cited for you earlier sums up my position nicely - that I am an atheist because the god proposition is so meaningless that it is basically irrelevant, but I am forced to label myself an atheist because modern society assumes a belief in god. If religion weren't so widespread, I would ignore the idea of god altogether, for the same reason you ignore the possibility that your computer is powered by magical pixies - it is so baseless and without evidence that it's futile to even consider it.
Alright, I'm dropping this topic after this, you seem to be willfully obtuse and it's getting old.

Atheism is not about "Rejection of belief". You omitted the last part of it.

Atheism is "rejection of a belief in the EXISTENCE OF" deities.

If you have any thoughts that there MAY be a deity, you're not atheist.

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you trolling me? We don't need to actually witness one species turning into another. Doing so would be basically impossible anyway because evolution takes place over a very long period of time. It would be impossible for me to relay to you the immense amount of evidence for evolution in one topix post, so I recommend going to google and searching "evidence for evolution." That would be a good start.
Right.

Many of these Creationists seem to have absolutely no sense of scale or proportion.

I do find it amusing that they don't believe in Evolution because there are no eyewitnesses, but won't reject Creation on the same grounds.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>The idea of a universal common ancestor is one of the things evolution is based on, but the theory does not stand or fall on that proposition alone. If you accept that evolution occurred, then you must either accept the evidence we have for why it happened or you must say goddidit. What makes more sense? It's not like all we have is the observation that life is varied and we assume that it evolved to get that way - there is myriad evidence that converges from pretty much every single scientific discipline to one conclusion - and that conclusion does not involve god.
I accept that organisms can evolve, I didn't say I accept evolution. I certainly don't accept ToE, that theory is a bunch of bullshit guesses.

Would you stop the childish "goddidit" crap? Why can't one have a conversation with an agnostic about evolution without them throwing that into the mix?

WTF?

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Tehee Candor wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Thank You for your statement earlier about jumping right in. The water's not bad. ;~) I've had some really slam me in other discussions similar and I've not experienced that yet today. We don't have to banter if we don't wish and I stated, I have not all the answers, but I have Faith in what I believe. I know not yet, what you believe though I look forward to discovering it. Thanks and good night and peace to you and yours.:)
Oh, you'll get slammed here eventually, too. We have a couple of trolls on here.

Oh, and I'm an atheist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
awwww, poor redneck is butthurt that I said zombie jebus is dead. Go cry to your dead god.
Allow me to rephrase my statement, if your jebus really did exist, he's more than likely dead. Get over it already.
What is it with christards, like yourself, who think that everyone who doesn't agree with you is an atheist? Is it some sort of reflex judgment?
There, that's better.

Apology accepted.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorance? Well, I'm still waiting for you all to prove that jesus did exist and that he's still alive.
The National Enquirer is waiting too.
Is that where you get your knowledge from, the National Enquirere?

LMAO, no wonder why you're so stupid.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are an atheist, too. You don't believe in the thousands of other Gods except your own.
Dumb ass.

I believe in God, therefore I'm a theist.

An atheist doesn't believe in the existance of ANY gods...

Dumb ass.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>No.
Evidence.
Atheism has it.
Religion has folklore.
And despite recent frantic efforts to re-label that folklore in terms that sound scientific, or distort both the science and the folklore beyond all recognition so that they sorta might fit*, it's still folklore.
You've been told this repeatedly, and on some level you know that what you're spouting is factually nonsense, but you've invested so much effort and time into it that you simply cannot admit it.
That, or you're a Poe.

There's is ZERO evidence that God does not exist - as atheism BELIEVES.

But go on, tell me more of your beliefs.

Since: Mar 11

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ugh it's already Monday....
Is it me or do the weekends seem to be going by much faster?
We're getting faster and faster as we approach the massive black hole in the middle of our galaxy!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
We're getting faster and faster as we approach the massive black hole in the middle of our galaxy!
That's probably why my head is spinning.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Buzz wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you so intent on convincing others that something you believe does not exist does not exist. You are the one looking for something to prove your unbelief. Why does the fact that so many people can "know" something you have no interest in knowing bother you so much. It must be a very big deal in your life for you to be so passionate about the existence of God. Maybe that is the proof you are looking for.
One could look at it that way, but they would be wrong. I am participating in what is intended to be a discussion about proving a god. I have experienced and watched others experience very vicious attacks on this site from alleged Christians who keep making the claim that God exists, that they know God exists, yet none have provided any facts to support their knowledge.

I was hoping to get at least one of these people to use their brains when responding, rather than just the dogma and jargon that they have been indoctrinated to say.

I also object to fanatics hijacking a discussion to use it as their pulpit to proselytize. If they have something that they believe in and state they know to be true, then show us their proof or back off.

I know that they can't and won't show us the proof, because there is no proof, but at least it would seem to indicate they are awake and their brain cell(s) are working if they could admit to that rather than constantly doing what they do.

I am not looking for proof that there actually is a god, because I am very comfortable in my understanding (as it now exists) that there is no evidence of any gods, nor has there ever been.

I am not intent on convincing others that a god does not exist, but I am intent on their backing up their claims of existence and their reasons for behaving as they do.

I would not have this discussion with my mother, who is a firm believer, nor would I be happy if someone else was to have this discussion with her. She is at a point in her life, near the end, at 89, when she does not need to be re-evaluating everything that she has stood for and worked for all her life. She has the right to end her life as comfortable for her as possible.

I see no harm in her dying thinking that she will be in heaven when she dies, because once she is dead she won't know anything anyway, but while she is alive, I see no point in hurting her. If I am totally wrong, then that is a bonus for her, I guess.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

nurface wrote:
<quoted text>
You have hope boots, i think if you would just ''take off that ''self fabricated blind fold'' you have *chosen* to wear you would see all the proof you need..
For the assertion that “There is no God” is just as much a claim to knowledge as is the assertion that “There is a God.” Therefore, the former assertion requires justification just as the latter does.
So here we are at a ''standoff'' so to speak..
Let me ask you this.. You all see life as a mere accident of a mindless, non rational, purposeless universe ok, so how does any non rational process create mind and rationality?
<quoted text>
You ask some good questions, but again there is proof you just fail/reject to acknowledge that proof.
You are lumping me with people who make claims that you state above. I don't make those claims, though I do believe that evolution has occurred (mainly because that has been confirmed). I don't know how we get to where we are now, going from cells to a living being with a mind, but I do know that the components that is our mind is electrical and chemical, and it can be traced.

Belief is Creation doing all this is the belief that all this came from Nothing, not eveolution.

If there is proof that I fail/reject to acknowledge then let's have the proof. Why do we spend years saying there is proof when no one provides any? If the proof exists, and you or others know it, then why not share that?

I don't have proof that a god does not exist, and I know that I will never be able to provide that proof (it is an impossibility). I also know that the basis of our current religions are in books, which at least the Abrahamic God believers claim are divinely inspired or written by God. I also know that if a God wrote/inspired these books then he made a lot of errors, and thus is not as omnipotent and all-knowing as is claimed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 583,081 - 583,100 of719,675
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••