Since: Mar 11

Carnegie, Australia

#614268 Apr 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ugh it's already Monday....
Is it me or do the weekends seem to be going by much faster?
We're getting faster and faster as we approach the massive black hole in the middle of our galaxy!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#614269 Apr 8, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
We're getting faster and faster as we approach the massive black hole in the middle of our galaxy!
That's probably why my head is spinning.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#614270 Apr 8, 2013
Buzz wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you so intent on convincing others that something you believe does not exist does not exist. You are the one looking for something to prove your unbelief. Why does the fact that so many people can "know" something you have no interest in knowing bother you so much. It must be a very big deal in your life for you to be so passionate about the existence of God. Maybe that is the proof you are looking for.
One could look at it that way, but they would be wrong. I am participating in what is intended to be a discussion about proving a god. I have experienced and watched others experience very vicious attacks on this site from alleged Christians who keep making the claim that God exists, that they know God exists, yet none have provided any facts to support their knowledge.

I was hoping to get at least one of these people to use their brains when responding, rather than just the dogma and jargon that they have been indoctrinated to say.

I also object to fanatics hijacking a discussion to use it as their pulpit to proselytize. If they have something that they believe in and state they know to be true, then show us their proof or back off.

I know that they can't and won't show us the proof, because there is no proof, but at least it would seem to indicate they are awake and their brain cell(s) are working if they could admit to that rather than constantly doing what they do.

I am not looking for proof that there actually is a god, because I am very comfortable in my understanding (as it now exists) that there is no evidence of any gods, nor has there ever been.

I am not intent on convincing others that a god does not exist, but I am intent on their backing up their claims of existence and their reasons for behaving as they do.

I would not have this discussion with my mother, who is a firm believer, nor would I be happy if someone else was to have this discussion with her. She is at a point in her life, near the end, at 89, when she does not need to be re-evaluating everything that she has stood for and worked for all her life. She has the right to end her life as comfortable for her as possible.

I see no harm in her dying thinking that she will be in heaven when she dies, because once she is dead she won't know anything anyway, but while she is alive, I see no point in hurting her. If I am totally wrong, then that is a bonus for her, I guess.

Location hidden

#614271 Apr 8, 2013
nurface wrote:
<quoted text>
You have hope boots, i think if you would just ''take off that ''self fabricated blind fold'' you have *chosen* to wear you would see all the proof you need..
For the assertion that “There is no God” is just as much a claim to knowledge as is the assertion that “There is a God.” Therefore, the former assertion requires justification just as the latter does.
So here we are at a ''standoff'' so to speak..
Let me ask you this.. You all see life as a mere accident of a mindless, non rational, purposeless universe ok, so how does any non rational process create mind and rationality?
<quoted text>
You ask some good questions, but again there is proof you just fail/reject to acknowledge that proof.
You are lumping me with people who make claims that you state above. I don't make those claims, though I do believe that evolution has occurred (mainly because that has been confirmed). I don't know how we get to where we are now, going from cells to a living being with a mind, but I do know that the components that is our mind is electrical and chemical, and it can be traced.

Belief is Creation doing all this is the belief that all this came from Nothing, not eveolution.

If there is proof that I fail/reject to acknowledge then let's have the proof. Why do we spend years saying there is proof when no one provides any? If the proof exists, and you or others know it, then why not share that?

I don't have proof that a god does not exist, and I know that I will never be able to provide that proof (it is an impossibility). I also know that the basis of our current religions are in books, which at least the Abrahamic God believers claim are divinely inspired or written by God. I also know that if a God wrote/inspired these books then he made a lot of errors, and thus is not as omnipotent and all-knowing as is claimed.

Location hidden

#614272 Apr 8, 2013
Tehee Candor wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a question for you please. How many people do you know that would put their very lives on the line for a lie? JESUS was either what He claimed to be or He was a Blatant liarmouth and people died defending their FAITH. Do you know anything about Daniel? I shall waste no energy entertaining all your questions of disbelief. As I've already stated I have many questions yet myself. Thank You
Look at the world today, and those who not only put their lives on the line but actually take their own lies for lies. Do you believe that the Muslim terrorists will meet 72 virgins when they blow themselves up killing dozens of civilians including children? What about the American soldiers who died in Iraq because of being sent there based on lies? Do you believe Bush really believed God was with the Americans when he sent them there?

People get killed because they belong to a group that other people don't like, but if they had been given a choice of living or dying, they probably would have denied their beliefs to stay alive. I know that if I was gien the option of burning at the stake or denouncing God, I would denounce God so all could hear. I would value satying alive more than dying for something that I only believe.

I would put my life on the line though if it meant someone else's life might be saved, as in my children or my spouse, or grandchildren. I would not place the value of my life over others who depend on me. At least I hope I wouldn't, if I was placed in that position.

I doubt many of the people you spoke of die for their faith but rather, because they were identified as who they were, they were murdered much the same as the massacres in Rwanda, and other places. They died because of bigotry.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#614273 Apr 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I accept that organisms can evolve, I didn't say I accept evolution. I certainly don't accept ToE, that theory is a bunch of bullshit guesses.
Would you stop the childish "goddidit" crap? Why can't one have a conversation with an agnostic about evolution without them throwing that into the mix?
WTF?
LOL!! You accept that organisms evolve (evolve being a verb), yet you don't accept evolution??(Evolution being the noun of the verb "evolve".)

And really, RR- by now even YOU should know that the "theory" of evolution is MUCH more than a layman's term of the word "theory" just as GRAVITY is MUCH more than simply the "theory" of gravity.

No, RR- what is KNOWN about evolution and therefore what is known about evolving is MUCH more than a theory and MUCH more than a bunch of bullsh*t guesses.

That you prefer to THINK all the experts involved in the many areas and fields of evolution are just scratching their heads, looking like deer caught in the headlights and simply shrugging their shoulders and making haphazard and irresponsible guesses is really YOUR issue and quite a serious one at that.

Most of us once we become adults give up on childish fantasies and develop the emotional maturity and intellectual capabilities to accept the very simple FACT that what we wish is more often than not, not the case and instead those who are truly adults accept facts and deal with those facts instead of clinging to what we wish was the case.

Location hidden

#614274 Apr 8, 2013
Tehee Candor wrote:
<quoted text>
Boooots, many are still very much in the dark and they think they know so much. You will not be abused by true believers, I promise you. The others are posers, but that doesn't mean some of us won't tell you we believe you are still in the dark as well. But as was just stated to you by another... You are seeking to know the truth and it takes that first step. Problem is ... we never know when our time will be no longer ... you don't have time to waste. If you don't believe fine, but if you want to believe that is the right step to work towards. Peace :)
Thank you for your comments. However, I do not 'want' to believe at this moment in my life. Since I came to the understanding that I have now, I have not wanted to believe again. Maybe that seems irrational, but to want to believe would indicate that I am sort of on the fence.
I will admit that I can't prove that no god exists, nor can anyone else, but I am very comfortable in thinking that what people do believe about gods is not true, and I do beleive that man created the ideas of gods and built the various religions around those imagined gods.
I think I understand some of the reasoning that people had many years ago for creating these gods, because there would have been so much, that we take for granted today, because we do understand, that in those days they would have no way of knowing about, and so believing that some invisible entity was doing all the things they didn't understand provided them with something.
The problem with these religions is that they became means of cruelty to other human beings, or excuses for cruelty.
Forum

Hobbs, NM

#614276 Apr 8, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only did Jesus fail at world peace; his Father has caused massive world problems, hundreds of thousands of deaths, and appears to cause MASS confusion.
Jesus hasn't failed.
We would have world peace if everyone
would give up their evil ways.
He is waiting.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#614277 Apr 8, 2013
Invincible ignorance

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#614278 Apr 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Evolution happens, ie; organisms evolve. Ideas evolve. Laws evolve. Etc.
The theory of evolution however, is full of guesses and patchwork theories.
This is one of the monumental guesses of ToE:
"Life on Earth evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."
What "universal common ancestor"??
Nobody knows. But it's taught as fact.
I call bullshit.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
You don't WHAT you believe. If you say evolution happens then evolution happens and is NOT a theory!!

WHAT universal common ancestor, you ask?

"How did humans evolve?

About six million years ago in Africa1, the chimpanzee lineage and our own split. What happened to us after that split? The hominid lineage did not march in a straight line to Homo sapiens.

*****Instead, the early hominid lineage gave rise to many other (now extinct) hominids.****

Examining the fossils, the artifacts, and even the DNA of these relatives has helped us understand how this complex hominid tree evolved, and how modern humans came to exist."

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/...

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#614279 Apr 8, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus hasn't failed.
We would have world peace if everyone
would give up their evil ways.
He is waiting.
And who has the final word on what is "evil"?

Is ALL killing evil? Is ALL war evil? How does one make the distinction between killing which is NOT evil and killing which IS?

Is killing animals evil?

You use such a subjective word as "evil" which is no less subjective than the word "good".

But gee- if as you say, we would have world peace if everyone would give up their evil ways- and assuming there is a "one definition fits all" for the word "evil"- why would your Jesus be needed?
Forum

Hobbs, NM

#614280 Apr 8, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>And who has the final word on what is "evil"?
Is ALL killing evil? Is ALL war evil? How does one make the distinction between killing which is NOT evil and killing which IS?
Is killing animals evil?
You use such a subjective word as "evil" which is no less subjective than the word "good".
But gee- if as you say, we would have world peace if everyone would give up their evil ways- and assuming there is a "one definition fits all" for the word "evil"- why would your Jesus be needed?
Jesus is Gods son. He sent him for a reason.
They know there is God and they still do
what is wrong. Greed, murder, abuse.
Why do they always have to be told?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#614281 Apr 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
7 years?!?
You went 7 years without sex?!?
Dayum, THAT'S commitment.
I haven't gone longer than 6 weeks since I was 16, and that was only just after my ex-wife have birth. That was a looooong 6 weeks.
i did go 7 years. again, not patting myself on back or suggesting that others should do the same, but i am testifying to the grace of God:)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#614283 Apr 8, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to imbue the small number of homosexuals with an amazing amount of power.
Obsessing much?
nope - i'm also addressing the stupid people who've been sucked into appeasin this coveteous & lustful agenda.

i particuallry laugh at some of our local campaigns. there's this one with a guy wearing a fire dept shirt (as if that's suposed to mean he's extra manly) with wife talking about how they used to be against gay marriage, but now that their son is taking it up the toxic waste outlet, they're not against it anymore and neither should anyone else be now either! LOL!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#614284 Apr 8, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>LOL!! You accept that organisms evolve (evolve being a verb), yet you don't accept evolution??(Evolution being the noun of the verb "evolve".)
And really, RR- by now even YOU should know that the "theory" of evolution is MUCH more than a layman's term of the word "theory" just as GRAVITY is MUCH more than simply the "theory" of gravity.
No, RR- what is KNOWN about evolution and therefore what is known about evolving is MUCH more than a theory and MUCH more than a bunch of bullsh*t guesses.
That you prefer to THINK all the experts involved in the many areas and fields of evolution are just scratching their heads, looking like deer caught in the headlights and simply shrugging their shoulders and making haphazard and irresponsible guesses is really YOUR issue and quite a serious one at that.
Most of us once we become adults give up on childish fantasies and develop the emotional maturity and intellectual capabilities to accept the very simple FACT that what we wish is more often than not, not the case and instead those who are truly adults accept facts and deal with those facts instead of clinging to what we wish was the case.
Howdy OCB. You didn't read my post. Again.

I said I don't accept ToE. Didja catch that part?

There just isn't enough known about evolution to allow ToE to be considered a fact.

I don't think the pros that are researching evolution are scratching their heads and guessing, stop assuming what I think.

What I think is that they all have an agenda and they all have a status to keep in their prospective communities. A scientist that dares speak our against evolution are laughter out of their community and lose all funding. It's in their best interests to keep the status quo.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#614285 Apr 8, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>You don't WHAT you believe. If you say evolution happens then evolution happens and is NOT a theory!!
See? That's the thinking you have.

If **I** think evolution happens, then it's not a theory.

O_o

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#614286 Apr 8, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is Gods son. He sent him for a reason.
They know there is God and they still do
what is wrong. Greed, murder, abuse.
Why do they always have to be told?
Prove that your Jesus is the son of god.

Prove that your god- or any god for that matter- even exists.

Prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that even a mere mortal being such as your Jesus ever even existed.

What defines greed? What is greed to one may be necessity to another.

Murder? So is it wrong if one murders someone who was trying to do them harm?

And abuse??? Wow. The word "abuse"- along with the other words you used- is in no way an absolute.

For instance, we have a poster here named Riverside Redneck who does NOT think spanking children fits the definition of the word "abuse".

There are those here who disagree with him and very much think that spanking children IS "abuse".

Why is your thought process so simple to the point that you don't comprehend just how subjective the words "greed, abuse- and even in some cases "murder" is?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#614287 Apr 8, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>You don't WHAT you believe. If you say evolution happens then evolution happens and is NOT a theory!!
WHAT universal common ancestor, you ask?
"How did humans evolve?
About six million years ago in Africa1, the chimpanzee lineage and our own split. What happened to us after that split? The hominid lineage did not march in a straight line to Homo sapiens.
*****Instead, the early hominid lineage gave rise to many other (now extinct) hominids.****
Examining the fossils, the artifacts, and even the DNA of these relatives has helped us understand how this complex hominid tree evolved, and how modern humans came to exist."
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/...
No, not the universal ancestor of humans, the universal ancestor of LIFE.

I've heard the monkey story before. It's plausible, but not proven.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#614288 Apr 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Howdy OCB. You didn't read my post. Again.
I said I don't accept ToE. Didja catch that part?
There just isn't enough known about evolution to allow ToE to be considered a fact.
I don't think the pros that are researching evolution are scratching their heads and guessing, stop assuming what I think.
What I think is that they all have an agenda and they all have a status to keep in their prospective communities. A scientist that dares speak our against evolution are laughter out of their community and lose all funding. It's in their best interests to keep the status quo.
Yes- I DID read your post and I DID see where you wrote that you don't accept ToE.

So how can you accept that things evolve if you don't accept what causes things to evolve- that being EVOLUTION???

Oh- BULLSH*T- as if you have an "in" with the scientific community which allows you to "know" that if a scientist speaks out against evolution they are laughed out of their community AND lose all funding.

Quit making up SH*T as you go along, RR.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#614289 Apr 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
See? That's the thinking you have.
If **I** think evolution happens, then it's not a theory.
O_o
You're a weird bird, RR.

Really strange.

How many times have you been told that the word "theory" when used in SCIENCE has a quite different meaning than when used by a layperson?

If you honestly think it's just "theory" in the layperson's sense of the word, then you don't accept GRAVITY as a fact either, since it IS the "THEORY" of gravity.

And btw, it has nothing to do with what I think- many much more experienced, educated and knowledgeable regarding the origins of humankind are the ones who will tell you that evolution is not only NOT a "theory" in the layperson's sense of the word, but is actual fact- proven by a plethora of evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min Atheist girl 605,272
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min onemale 265,376
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 30 min hojo 560,141
women should be slaves to men (Dec '13) 52 min Lumajuice 32
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 39,365
What Is Right With the USA 2 hr UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 6
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 2 hr MUQ2 37,841
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Freebird USA 175,775
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr RiccardoFire 96,839
More from around the web