|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Grown women don't let their dads tell them whether to marry or not. Pussydom must be heritable in your family. Aren't you the fluffball that claimed he couldn't tell his family he was an atheist? Geez, even kids have the nerve to tell their parents where to shove church.
Is Pussydom even a word????? Ahahaha!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Grown women don't let their dads tell them whether to marry or not. Pussydom must be heritable in your family. Aren't you the fluffball that claimed he couldn't tell his family he was an atheist? Geez, even kids have the nerve to tell their parents where to shove church.
Yeah.

You're right, as always.

I'm sure as my very catholic mother is virtually praying for death, with her pictures of jesus and mary and the last supper all around her, it would comfort her greatly for me to tell her I don't believe in her vision of the afterlife.

And the rest of my extended family, who make it apparent that they are firm believers, yet who still enjoy my company and I theirs, would love me just the same if I told them how much I detest their religion.

Because religious people are just so reasonable about that kind of thing.

Just like you.
nurface

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No. Just no.
Yes! but yes.. I understand though,if thats all u can say..

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

Boss of the Inland Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Aero...... That word was just funny at the time......:/
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An, the Ohio state motto....
I bet you don't even know what it means...
It sure as hell ain't workin' for Ohio...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

nurface wrote:
Does God Exist - A Philosophical Issue
Before we ask the question "Does God exist?" we first have to deal with our philosophical predispositions. If, for example, I am already dedicated to the philosophical idea that nothing can exist outside of the natural realm (i.e. there can be no supernatural God), no amount of evidence could convince me otherwise. Asking the question "does God exist?" would be pointless. My answer would be "No, He doesn't," regardless of whether God truly exists or not. The question would be impossible to answer from an evidentiary standpoint simply because anything which God might have done (that is, any supernatural act which might serve as evidence for His existence) would have to be explained away in terms of natural causes, not because we know what those natural causes could possibly be, but simply because a supernatural God is not allowed to exist!
Dr. Richard Lewontin, the Alexander Agassiz Professor of Zoology at Harvard University, put it like this: "It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counterintuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door" (Richard Lewontin, "Billions and Billions of Demons," New York Review of Books, January 9, 1997, p. 28).
If, on the other hand, I were neutral, and didn't already have an "a priori adherence" to a particular worldview (be it naturalistic or otherwise), the question "does God really exist?" wouldn't be pointless at all. Rather, it would be the first step in an objective and meaningful search for ultimate truth. Our willingness to ask the question with an open mind is fundamental to our ability to discover the truth behind the answer. So first of all, before you even ask the question, decide whether or not you're really willing to accept the answer.
continued;
Does this mean you also nullify theories like "M", "String", etc?

As for - "no amount of evidence could convince me otherwise" - I agree, one needs to actually experience the supernatural for themselves in order to really encapsulate a new journey.

Thanks for posting.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Rewrite this *without* the double negative.
Nah - thanks for the suggestion....I think?!
nurface

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Some good points and facts;

Is Jesus God? The Historical Dispute
Is Jesus God? The answer to this question is the only real dispute surrounding the historical Jesus. No legitimate scholar today denies that Jesus is a historic figure that walked on this earth about 2,000 years ago, that he did remarkable wonders and acts of charity, and that He died a horrible death on a Roman cross just outside Jerusalem. The emotionally-charged dispute focuses specifically on whether Jesus was God incarnate who rose from the dead three days after His Crucifixion.

Is Jesus God? The Only Alternatives
Is Jesus God? Many people have dealt with this "spiritual" dispute by intellectually accepting Jesus as a great man, great teacher, or great prophet. However, Jesus and His inspired followers didn't mince words when they declared Him to be God (John 10:30-38, Matthew 16:13-17, Mark 14:61-64, John 14:6, Hebrews 1:8, Colossians 1:16, John 12:40-41 [quoting Isaiah 6:1-10]). Therefore, any type of intellectual compromise calling Jesus a "good man" is logically inconsistent. Why? Because there are really only three legitimate alternatives for the identity of Jesus Christ. He is either a liar, a lunatic or our Lord and God. Since Jesus claimed to be God, His claims are either true or false. If false, He must have been a liar, deliberately misleading the multitudes. Or, He was a lunatic, sincerely believing Himself to be God, when in reality He was just a man. However, if Jesus was a "good man," as most people now agree, how then could He be both good and crazy, or good and a liar? There is only one logically consistent alternative - He must have been telling the truth. In addition to the logical inconsistency, the remarkable historical, archaeological and manuscript evidence shows that Jesus was neither a liar nor a lunatic. Again, the only position left is that His claim is true. Jesus is Lord and God.

The only real argument that remains, is that Jesus was just a legend or myth. There is little likelihood that Jesus' claims are legend. There just wasn't enough time for any legendary development of the story to replace what really happened. For instance, we now know that the Gospels were written 30 to 50 years after the crucifixion of Jesus. More dramatically, we now date some of the early Christian creeds, proclaiming the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, to 3 to 10 years after His crucifixion. This includes Paul's letters to the Corinthians, Romans and Galatians. Finally, if Jesus' claim of deity was a myth, the early Jewish opponents of Christianity would surely have presented the fact that these claims never happened. Unlike modern skeptics, the Jewish rabbis never denied that Jesus made the claim that He was God. Instead, they called Him a liar, and tried Him for blasphemy.

Is Jesus God? The Only Answer
Is Jesus God? Once you have asked all your questions, weighed all the evidence, and tested all the arguments, you will ultimately be confronted with this question. In Mathew 16:15, Jesus put it this way,'But who do you say that I am?' One of His disciples, Simon Peter, replied:'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' What is your reply?

NOT MY WORDS,
nurface

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Does this mean you also nullify theories like "M", "String", etc?
As for - "no amount of evidence could convince me otherwise" - I agree, one needs to actually experience the supernatural for themselves in order to really encapsulate a new journey.
Thanks for posting.
Not familar with the M,''String'' theory?

Your welcome.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

nurface wrote:
<quoted text>
Not familar with the M,''String'' theory?
Your welcome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
It is if I say it is.:)

“talk to the kitteh”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
You're right, as always.
I'm sure as my very catholic mother is virtually praying for death, with her pictures of jesus and mary and the last supper all around her, it would comfort her greatly for me to tell her I don't believe in her vision of the afterlife.
And the rest of my extended family, who make it apparent that they are firm believers, yet who still enjoy my company and I theirs, would love me just the same if I told them how much I detest their religion.
Because religious people are just so reasonable about that kind of thing.
Just like you.
You insult your own family now?

They would love you whether you are a believer or not, although they would likely be ashamed of your behavior on Topix if they were to see it.

You are a cowardly little prig to blame your family for your own deceptive nature.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You insult your own family now?
They would love you whether you are a believer or not, although they would likely be ashamed of your behavior on Topix if they were to see it.
You are a cowardly little prig to blame your family for your own deceptive nature.
I don't think you can understand the pressure that is put on atheists to believe.

“talk to the kitteh”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think you can understand the pressure that is put on atheists to believe.
Stop with the poor, little picked on me act, like your relatives are such beasts...being Christian and all. You're probably lying about that anyway. You told them you were gay, too, right? Or you likely were raised by gays. Nobody believes your silly story about being ascairt of the big, bad Christians. Your posts have made that obvious enough.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Stop with the poor, little picked on me act, like your relatives are such beasts...being Christian and all. You're probably lying about that anyway. You told them you were gay, too, right? Or you likely were raised by gays. Nobody believes your silly story about being ascairt of the big, bad Christians. Your posts have made that obvious enough.
I don't think I was doing a "poor me" act. I also never said that I was scared of christians. I simply stated that in US culture there is an enormous pressure to believe in some deity, any deity, as long as your not an evil atheist. That's a fact. Open intolerance of atheism is one of the last bastions of the bigot.

I also never said that my relatives were "beasts." My immediate family and friends know that I'm an atheist and are fine with it. Some of my other relatives do not know and I would rather not tell them. It's not like I would get disowned or anything, but I don't think it would go over too well. Back when my grandma was coherent, she would have thrown a fit if I told her I was an atheist.

Who said I was gay? That wasn't even a topic of conversation. Why are you concerned with my sexual orientation?

Since: Sep 10

Hong Kong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think I was doing a "poor me" act. I also never said that I was scared of christians. I simply stated that in US culture there is an enormous pressure to believe in some deity, any deity, as long as your not an evil atheist. That's a fact. Open intolerance of atheism is one of the last bastions of the bigot.
I also never said that my relatives were "beasts." My immediate family and friends know that I'm an atheist and are fine with it. Some of my other relatives do not know and I would rather not tell them. It's not like I would get disowned or anything, but I don't think it would go over too well. Back when my grandma was coherent, she would have thrown a fit if I told her I was an atheist.
Who said I was gay? That wasn't even a topic of conversation. Why are you concerned with my sexual orientation?
I am in Shanghai, and it is so liberating to be able to tell people that I am an atheist without any fear of contempt or disapproval or surprise.
konnon

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

youtube.com/watch...
Excuse Again? The God dude died like any Human,now somebody explain why God Died like any Normal Human does?

And he Died in a Public execution style,,

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

konnon wrote:
youtube.com/watch?v=i_QjjFEZpo 4
Excuse Again? The God dude died like any Human,now somebody explain why God Died like any Normal Human does?
And he Died in a Public execution style,,
Try reading a book once in a while.
Jasbir Singh

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

A Formal Satire wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove unicorns don't exist. When you do that, I'll prove your god doesn't either.
what the hell your the one proving god doesnt exist..... what does unicorns have to do with anything...

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
About a year or so ago I posted that this guy came in to my church as a guest speaker talking about how he used to be gay but now that his sins were gone he was straight. The 4000 or so in the congregation cheered and clapped as he made a big deal about it and his wife and kids met him onstage. At the time I didn't clap, I didn't cheer. I didn't join in with my "brethren" regarding this guy's cure. I observed him and to me this guy still appeared gay. He still swished when he walked, his mannerisms were still feminine and quite frankly still acted and talked like many gays I know.(I have many friends that are gay and we always kid each other all the time so don't get all bent out of shape)
I remember looking at him and his smoking hot wife, his beautiful children and thinking, dude....." I don't believe you. You're lying to yourself and these people and your wife....."
I don't condone or condemn homosexuality, but for heavens sakes, just tell the damn truth.
I thought about the emotional distress this poor bastard was going through. With him Knowing that he was gay but yet trying to fit into what he saw as a "normal" society. Pretending to be "cured" to have a heterosexual relationship.
Parading his family in front of these unknown faces like some dog and pony show.
I prayed for him that evening. Not to be cured of his gayness, but for his emotional well being. The courage to defend his family against his emptiness of feeling like he didnt fully belong in any of those two societies.
I think of this guy often. I've forgotten his name but not his face, or his wife, or his children. I
Sincerely hope that he has been able to find peace in who he is.
I don't see a person like that as gay, I see them as bi.

It's a strange phenomenon, this "fitting in" thing. RR can't quite grasp it.

But helluva story, Al. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 582,301 - 582,320 of716,239
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

517 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 6 min Faith 114,575
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 8 min andet1987 3,868
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min June VanDerMark 529,792
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 min Hidingfromyou 93,166
Is Vin Diesel gay? (Mar '09) 16 min andet1987 109
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 17 min CunningLinguist 223,103
Sharing my wife's nude pics to be exposed 18 min godzilla69 20
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 21 min NEWS-FLASH 171,415
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Charlie Sheen 255,620
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 16 hr Shut-Up 60
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••