Prove there's a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#613503 Apr 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>BTW, our laws are SECULAR and are not based on Christianity or any other religion.
Too bad you're such a "good" American that you can't accept that FACT is a big part of what made the USA a great nation.
Well sure, some laws are secular. But a lot of our laws are based on Christian ethics, laws, morals or whatever you want to call it.

Why do you think polygamy is outlawed? It's against Christian morals.

Ever heard of the Declaration of Independence? I'm sure you have....

“When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitles them ...

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights ...

“And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#613504 Apr 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"If emotions are "difficult" to prove, then everything is."
"We feel emotions, therefore emotions exist."
"You cannot turn around and say, "I feel god, therefore god exists."
"You can say "I feel god, therefore I feel god."
===
That. How do you know that.
there is only one reality, the god you imagine is a projection of your psyche.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#613505 Apr 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sabbath Day law. Ever heard of the Sunday law that the POTUS must adhere to? The President has 10 days (excluding Sundays) to sign a bill passed by Congress. The founding fathers started that to keep the Sabbath Day.
And it's still in effect.
There's more...
But you'll likely just ignore them.
LOL!!!! Good luck finding more than a few businesses- and a very few at that- which are closed on Sundays!

And the majority of those businesses are run by CHRISTIANS- you know, the very same folks you claim make this a Christian nation.

There's more.....

In any case, you have steadfastly claimed that our GOVERNMENT is secular but that the GOVERNMENT is NOT the American people.

Now you attempt to change your tune because you have painted yourself into yet another corner.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613506 Apr 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you assume that?
We rarely eat together, and when we do, it's only when she's up for eating at her favorite restaurant, which she hasn't been for quite a while now.
The last time she mentioned religion was when I was driving her to see my father in the nursing home. She had catholic radio on and she asked me if I still prayed. I said no. That was the end of the conversation.
Okay, my bad.

I meant no disrespect towards you or your mom.

I's just axin.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#613507 Apr 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...
Ya...
I get that...
But....
I wasn't asking you to answer for Aero.
and no......you do NOT get that. If you did, you wouldn't have asked Aero if they "faked it" by bowing their head before a meal.

You would see that as "faking it" rather than showing respect for his grandmother.

WOW.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613508 Apr 5, 2013
Venguer wrote:
<quoted text>
Pressure put on atheists to believe?? Bunk! Why don't you tell us?? The atheists are the ones lobbying to do away with everything christian. I don't see Christians constantly harassing atheists and taking them to court to take away what they believe in.
Nice.

Cue the atheists saying: We don't have beliefs!

In 3...2...1...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#613509 Apr 5, 2013
Venguer wrote:
<quoted text>Pressure put on atheists to believe?? Bunk! Why don't you tell us?? The atheists are the ones lobbying to do away with everything christian. I don't see Christians constantly harassing atheists and taking them to court to take away what they believe in.
Maybe not so much pressure to believe as pressure to shut up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613510 Apr 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>That was a really dopey assumption on RR's part.
And no doubt she does NOT bow her head or say grace prior to eating when out in her favorite restaurant.
And even if she does, you bowing your head along with her would not be "faking it" as RR claimed.
Hey, at least I admitted it was an assumption.

You should try it.

Remember yesterday? You claimed I don't know even ONE Canadian......

Fail.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#613511 Apr 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well sure, some laws are secular. But a lot of our laws are based on Christian ethics, laws, morals or whatever you want to call it.
“When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitles them ...
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights ...
“And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”
You think polygamy is only against CHRISTIAN morals? LOL!!

Not to mention that MORMONS are Christian and Mormons most certainly do engage in polygamy, so so much for that clueless statement of yours.

The DOI is NOT a GOVERNING document and it never was and was never intended to be.

It was a STATEMENT simply DECLARING this country's independence from Great Britain.

And do YOU see where it states "NATURE'S" god? Who the HELL are you to claim that the Christian god is nature's god?

You are so clueless you don't get why it was called "nature's" god and NOT Christan's god, or Jew's god or anyone else's god!!

Who are you to say that the "Creator" refers to the Christian god?

Doesn't really matter though- since the DOI was never a governing document to begin with.

Apparently, you did not know that. Now you do.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#613512 Apr 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You should try it.
Fail.
WhatEVER, RR. You constantly put down all other countries and their citizens.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613513 Apr 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Hold on a second, here. You have stated MANY times that while our GOVERNMENT is secular, Americans are NOT.
NOW you are trying to claim that our GOVERNMENT is NOT secular with your ridiculous claim that our laws are based on Christianity???
Um......laws are created by GOVERNMENT- that very same government you have insisted all along is SECULAR.
You really DID inhale paint fumes today, didn't you?
You take talking out of both sides of one's mouth to a whole new level, RR.
Let me be clear(er)...

SOME of ours laws are based on Christianity.(not all)

SOME of our laws are based on religion.(like Common Law is taken from an old Saxon religion)

SOME of laws are purely secular.(like speed limits)

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#613514 Apr 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sabbath Day law. Ever heard of the Sunday law that the POTUS must adhere to? The President has 10 days (excluding Sundays) to sign a bill passed by Congress. The founding fathers started that to keep the Sabbath Day.
And it's still in effect.
There's more...
as with everything else, the weekend has its roots in business and economics

Who invented the weekend?
Overworked in Oklahoma

Dear Overworked:
Good question. Here's another: Why'd they make it only two days? Following is a short history of the weekend, pieced together from various sources, many of which refer to the book "Waiting for the Weekend" by Witold Rybczynski.
The concept of taking time off from work is ancient. The Bible asserts that even God took it easy on the seventh day (thus compelling Him to create football). Although pre-industrial European Christians viewed Sundays solely as a time to dedicate one's self to the Deity, European workers had a longstanding practice of skipping work each "Saint Monday" to recover from the previous day's drinking.

From 1793 to 1805, the French Revolutionary Calendar called for one day of leisure at the end of a 10-day week. But it wasn't until the English industrial revolution that the movement for an additional day off took hold.

The American concept of the weekend has its roots in labor union attempts to accommodate Jewish workers who took Saturday instead of Sunday as their Sabbath. The first five-day work week, according to a posted extract of Rybczynski's book, was instituted by a New England spinning mill for just this reason.

In 1926, Henry Ford began closing his factories on Saturdays, thinking this would help spur the economy. But it wasn't until 1940 that the two-day weekend officially began nationwide, thus paving the way for golf addiction, rummage sales, and a really happening song from the supergroup Loverboy. TGIF, everyone, TGIF.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#613515 Apr 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You should try it.
Fail.
So just why do you have such animosity toward Canada and its citizens?

What do you even KNOW about Canada in order to justify the animosity you have for our GOOD neighbors to the north?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613516 Apr 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Uh....I think I already said you get what you pay for.
American companies want their goods manufactured in places like China because they pay much less for labor and actually, they pay what is nothing more than slave wages.
Since they can't get away with that here in the USA, they opt for their goods to be made by very cheap labor which often results in the goods being cheaply made.
I do wonder how much more you'd be willing to pay for those goods to be manufactured right here in the good ol' US of A.
I already know WHY they are cheap. You don't need to go on and on.

Unless you're looking for another self-serving pat on the back...

I dropped Sprint ONLY because they outsource their call centers. Every time I called I'd get Punjab that can barely speak English.

Screw that.

I dropped HSBC for the same reason.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613517 Apr 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>How can love cease to exist? The actual emotion IN AND OF ITSELF doesn't cease to exist.
What can and often does cease to exist is a person FEELING that emotion.
Why is this so difficult for you to grasp?
And you don't know if your god changes or not, huh? Then your god is no more a constant than the FEELING of emotions is.
BTW, I presented NO hypothesis- what I did was shoot your ANALOGY full of holes.
It is YOU who tried to claim that since emotions can't be proven, then there is no reason why your god should be proven either.
MY point was that your analogy is not valid- because it's NOT.
Yes.

Very good.

I love to see you backpedal.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613518 Apr 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Why does that make us "damn women"? Because we're educated on diet and nutrition and what defines an empty calorie and what doesn't?
Sorry if you find knowledge to be "damnable", RR.
Nag.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613519 Apr 5, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
there is only one reality, the god you imagine is a projection of your psyche.
Prove it.

But first you'll have to demonstrate what god I imagine.

Then you'll have to demonstrate my psyche.

Go.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#613520 Apr 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every religion have some myths associated ith the creation of the world and about a god?

you will notice that the authors of the Declaration of Independence specifically did not mention the Christian god nor the Abrahamic god....

they were intelligent enough to be all inclusive...unlike most fundamentalists be they christians, muslim, or jewish....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613521 Apr 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>LOL!!!! Good luck finding more than a few businesses- and a very few at that- which are closed on Sundays!
And the majority of those businesses are run by CHRISTIANS- you know, the very same folks you claim make this a Christian nation.
There's more.....
In any case, you have steadfastly claimed that our GOVERNMENT is secular but that the GOVERNMENT is NOT the American people.
Now you attempt to change your tune because you have painted yourself into yet another corner.
Um....

The president of the United States is the government, not a private business....

Just FYI.

And he MUST follow the Christian based "Sunday Law".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#613522 Apr 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>and no......you do NOT get that. If you did, you wouldn't have asked Aero if they "faked it" by bowing their head before a meal.
You would see that as "faking it" rather than showing respect for his grandmother.
WOW.
Mom, not grandma...

You're even wrong about that...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 min bad bob 183,182
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 7 min gundee123 827
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min kent 654,150
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 17 min Brian_G 64,134
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 44 min Brian_G 281,891
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 3,824
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Lbj 106,549
first gay experience? (Sep '14) 18 hr andy 43
More from around the web