Prove there's a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#611019 Mar 16, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
“The other black hole, GRS 1915+105, is estimated to be about 14 times the Sun's mass, which is nearing the upper limit for a black hole formed from the collapse of a single star. Using NASA's Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer (RXTE), astronomers were able to determine that IGR J17091-3624 was much, much smaller. In fact, it's probably only three times as massive as the Sun, which is dangerously close to the minimum amount of mass needed to create a black hole in the first place.”
The former (GRS 1915+105 ) is stated as an UPPER LIMIT for a black hole formed from the collapse of a SINGLE STAR.
The latter ( IGR J17091-3624) speaks to MINIMUM limits (for formation from stellar collapse).
Both speak of limits for *formation* of black holes, via a specific mechanism.
Where are you getting “mass of a mountain” from? What article?
It was from this morning, about 6 hours ago. I think Mylan posted it.

Go fish.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#611021 Mar 16, 2013
Rush wrote:
<quoted text>
All of this talk about holes has got littleloogie all excited again!
'speshully cuz they're black holes....

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#611022 Mar 16, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
How much opportunities you must have missed out on because you retired so early!
LOL!

Hey! I thought they was talk'n 'bout that space 'tween yer ears with all that "black Hole" talk.

I'm not really retired Lunger.

It's my job ta keep an eye on you pedo's.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#611023 Mar 16, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like rush insults someone based on child abuse!
I reckon watch'n you pick yer nose could be abuse too Lunger...ta the watcher.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#611024 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It was from this morning, about 6 hours ago. I think Mylan posted it.
Go fish.
I did.

Found it.

As stated...

You didn't understand what you read.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#611025 Mar 16, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
@ RR.
RE: "Mass of a mountain"
Ah! You got it from here...
http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/...
“Black holes can be big or small. Scientists think the smallest black holes are as small as just one atom. These black holes are very tiny but have the mass of a large mountain. Mass is the amount of matter, or "stuff," in an object.”
The above doesn't pertain to black hole formation or limits for formation... whereas your other cited article does.
"The mass of the Sun is 1.9891 ×10^30 kg or roughly 200000000000000000000000000000 0 kg."

"It is equivalent to 322,946 times that of the Earth."

That's a wee bit more mass than a mountain.....

So again. If NASA says that black holes can be very tiny but have the mass of a large mountain, how can they also say that the minimum mass for a black hole is three times larger than the mass of our sun?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#611026 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"The mass of the Sun is 1.9891 ×10^30 kg or roughly 200000000000000000000000000000 0 kg."
So again. If NASA says that black holes can be very tiny but have the mass of a large mountain, how can they also say that the minimum mass for a black hole is three times larger than the mass of our sun?
Production vs. stability.

If you're not going to try, RR... why should I try and explain?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#611027 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so you're talking about the mass of a black hole ... and you bring up the price of rice in China.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#611028 Mar 16, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Production vs. stability.
If you're not going to try, RR... why should I try and explain?
I AM trying.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#611029 Mar 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so you're talking about the mass of a black hole ... and you bring up the price of rice in China.
Am I?

Rice is about $8/lb in china.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#611030 Mar 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I wunner if he realizes the article mentioning "mass of a mountain" was intended for K-4 students?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#611031 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I AM trying.
Trying to do what?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#611032 Mar 16, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to do what?
To figure out how much rice costs in China....

And to show y'all that science is a very misunderstood topic by y'all and it's anything but perfect and/or reliable.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#611033 Mar 16, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
It'd help if he'd read the articles for what they are saying rather than what he wants them to say.
He cherry picked a bit from one article and compared it with what he cherry picked from the other and thought he had stumbled on to a argument crushing show-stopper.
Amusing, wasn't it?
Yes.

He's good for the amusement.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#611034 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And to show y'all that science is a very misunderstood topic by y'all and it's anything but perfect and/or reliable.
No one here, that I'm aware of, has EVER said that science is perfect.

So... you're telling us absolutely nothing.

As for your "and/or"...

Science is THE MOST reliable method ever devised for understanding our surroundings.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#611035 Mar 16, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
No one here, that I'm aware of, has EVER said that science is perfect.
So... you're telling us absolutely nothing.
As for your "and/or"...
Science is THE MOST reliable method ever devised for understanding our surroundings.
Which branch of science?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, Mathematics, Zoology, Microbiology, Nuclear Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physiology, Kinesiology, Nuclear Physics, Botany, Histology, Gynecology, Cardiology, Podiatry, Ecology, Oncology, Genetics, Psychology....

Mathematics is the only true reliable science, everything else is just an application.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#611036 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I like discussing black holes.

With that being said, I'm probably more at your level when it comes to “hard science” pertaining to them.

Time is really my favorite subject. My insights of black holes, such as they are, tend to center around the effect they'd have on space-time and the “stuff” in it.

It's fun to dwell on... for me, nothing more.

The generic description of black holes most people are familiar with is that they're objects of such mass, with gravity so intense, that not even light can escape.[And] That's fine... but, it doesn't really do much for encouraging one to further their understanding.

What really got me going with it, years ago, was the personal reconciliation of the above description of a black hole ...with... the axiom that light's speed is constant (through any given medium).

So...

You tell me...

Can you think of a way a black hole can “stop” light... when light never accelerates, decelerates, or ever varies from c (the speed light is always observed to have traveling through a vacuum)?

To your specific inquiry...

Scientists are pretty sure black holes do exist. The very least that can be said is that scientists have made observations and black holes “fit the bill” as explanations... to such a high degree of mathematical accuracy... that it's safe to say they exist (prediction).

So... if they're gonna say they exist... don't you think it makes since for them to try and figure out how they can exist?

That's where the two articles, the parts you cited, differ in what they say.

One talks about the least mass a black hole can have... and nowhere in it is it claimed to be the end-all-be-all of that particular idea.

The other is talking about upper/lower limits for the formation of a black hole from stellar collapse. No end-all-be-all claim was made there either.

If black holes exist, then, like everything else... they change over time as they obtain or give up mass... and stellar collapse isn't the only postulated mechanism through which they can form.

As Forrest Gump would say,“That's about all I have to say about that.”
flup

Wellington, New Zealand

#611037 Mar 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
But you already accepted the microchip ,
Remember: You are posting here because of it.
Are you scared yet?
I don't know if you read my other post (#610804), but I've now decided to return to my Christian faith, and not accept the evil chip. IF and WHEN it does arrive here in NZ, I will be one of those who REFUSE to get the Microchip implanted in me. Maybe it's you atheists who should fear what will happen to you at the Judgment Throne of God. I wouldn't want ANYONE - EVEN a STAUNCH ATHEIST - to burn ALIVE in the FLAMES of HELL. But hey, it's your choice.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#611038 Mar 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Which branch of science?
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, Mathematics, Zoology, Microbiology, Nuclear Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physiology, Kinesiology, Nuclear Physics, Botany, Histology, Gynecology, Cardiology, Podiatry, Ecology, Oncology, Genetics, Psychology....
Mathematics is the only true reliable science, everything else is just an application.
All of them... each in its own realm.

Once something crosses the threshold from pure theory to application, you can bet your bottom dollar that science played a hand in making it happen.
flup

Wellington, New Zealand

#611039 Mar 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So your mythology includes the notion that you're a useless piece of dangerous, pointless crap?
Hmm.
You may have a point there.
Pardon me while I think it doesn't apply to me.
Ha!!Ha!! Think what you like, mac, but whichever way you carve it, Jesus WILL have the FINAL say. Blessings to you!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Everybody should be on Facebook! 1 min Glitter940 5
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 min Satan God of gods 19,318
I adore phoning Samaritans getting female and w... 10 min Lipz238 2
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 14 min Charm7665 2,025
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 17 min Bongo 92,447
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 18 min Lickz8951 183,615
Poll White Men, Would You Have A BABY by a Black Woman (Apr '10) 22 min Kiss2593 531
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min truth 285,993
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 39 min Pixy6362 667,640
More from around the web