Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#609006 Mar 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this guy sums it up perfectly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6D6IsvZsLVgXX
very informative, thanks

of course there is nothing "wrong" with guns. Problems are caused by how they are employed and by whom.

Location hidden

#609007 Mar 8, 2013
USG wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely, just because you are spiritual it would not mean that you are religious.
There's good and bad with religion. I grew up with a Buddhist mother and a Catholic father. Neither one was really deep in their faith, it was just something they both grew up knowing. Not that Buddhism is a religion necessarily.
I just have too many questions that religions can't answer, but I do feel like science doesn't have all the answers either.
the answer is simple.

Make up your own god, make sure that you are his favorite, chrisians do this all the time, you can too.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#609008 Mar 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, that would still be the beginning of this universe. The term universe needs to be updated because we now know that a lot of universes may exist, our own universe may be a small part of a much larger collection of universes, for example as another hypothesis that's still holding water. But the singularity event is the beginning of our own universe, that's about all we can say for certain at this point really. What caused it is completely up for grabs, no one knows yet. The "big bang" label also needs to be correct, rapid expansion actually describes it more accurately.
You don't KNOW shyt about anything.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#609009 Mar 8, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And yet more wild postulations from the deluded one who thinks he can make any claim and we should accept them all as absolute truths.
http://gizmodo.com/5911185/scientists-invent-...
Some plants and animal life can live and even flourish without sunlight. This is very true and the latest discoveries of extremophiles confirm the window of existence is extended beyond what was once thought, by chemical and thermal means.
But (and there is always a but)

It's highly unlikely the Earth could sustain even the hardiest extremophiles known without the sun. All heat would radiate back into space quickly and the Earth would be a frozen and dark wasteland.
It could be possible for life to evolve near thermal vents, but the odds reduced so highly of any plant life it would practically be zero.
Without the plant life through photosynthesis , the animal kingdom would have never been able to diversify and sustain itself.
It was photosynthesis that enabled life as we know it to exist.
Curiously life as we don't know it might though.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-...

Though it surely seems given the organ configurations of the known
extremophiles, that they have specifically adapted to the new environment and not evolved completely independently.
Without the sun Ediacara biota might develop, but what would it become?
That is a brand new can of worms and the Ediacara biota is alien life to us. So there is the answer, Alien life has once existed right here.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#609010 Mar 8, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>If I can't cite that blog then neither can you; not without a minimum of ridicule anyway.
:P~
Take THAT, you worm!
xD

It was a nice read, and you can cite them all you want.
But we will peer review it and formulate a proper response.
We expect no less , and trust me every avenue is a learning experience. So thanks for that.:)

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#609011 Mar 8, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
very informative, thanks
of course there is nothing "wrong" with guns. Problems are caused by how they are employed and by whom.
Agreed.

Location hidden

#609012 Mar 8, 2013
Poo-Bear wrote:
<quoted text>
They ALWAYS suddenly become Christian when they go to prison because prisoners KNOW that it may help with parole or at the very least will get them out of their cells for a while so they can go to "church". There are people who go to prison for murder and murder while in there. I don't believe that the majority of hardcore prisoners believe in God. At all.
Look at the founding member of the Crips, Tookie Williams. Murdered three people, a mom, dad and daughter. He killed the father first, then the mother, then the daughter. And the brutal way he did it tells me that this was a person who had NO feelings for these people A ALL. He also killed another man. Once inside the storage room, Williams, at gunpoint, ordered Owens to "lay down, mother f*****." Williams then chambered a round into the shotgun. Williams then fired the round into the security monitor. Williams then chambered a second round and fired the round into Owens' back as he lay face down on the floor of the storage room. Williams then fired again into Owens' back. And all this for money. Then, AFTER he is given the death penalty, suddenly a light bulb goes off in his and suddenly, he believes in God. I don't think so. It did however, give him an idea. Maybe if I say I feel bad and get people to believe I'm a new man and write a childrens book, I can get some sympathy. He did. From many "celebrities" even. Me? I will NEVER believe that someone THAT COLD HEARTED can change that suddenly. No. He was a godless soul when alive and he died a Godless soul. Period.
now there is a cold heartless view, supported by no less than a believer in the christian god

Location hidden

#609013 Mar 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice article, the writer completely screwed up a lot too. The formulas they showed were for intelligent life, which means life equivalent to us, it's not all possible life. So yeah, the chances of life existing on many other planets are high, but the chances of there being life as advanced as we are are very low this early in the lifespan of this universe. Learn to read the article.
You are the pathetic shit who can't understand what you read, trollwad.

Location hidden

#609014 Mar 8, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have to tell them anything, your link was old and I'm sure by now they have been debunked.
"What Bayesian reasoning overlooks, of course, is the inconvenient fact that there are some one trillion galaxies in the known universe and some 50 billion planets estimated to exist in the Milky Way alone and some 500,000,000 predicted to exist in a habitable zone.
We think evidence will be discovered in the next 20 years: The Kepler mission has discovered 1,235 exoplanets that revolve around a sun, in an area that represents around 1/400th of the Milky Way. By extrapolating these numbers, the Kepler team has estimated that there are at least 50 billion exoplanets in our galaxy — 500 million of which sit inside the habitable "Goldilocks" zones of their suns, the area that it is neither too hot nor too cold to support life.
Astronomers estimate that there are 100 billion galaxies in the universe. If you want to extrapolate those numbers, that means there are around 50,000,000,000,000,000,000 (50 quintillion) potentially habitable planets in the universe."
Major fail for you. How many do you think believe in a man-made religion? LOL...
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/02/...
"We *think* evidence will be discovered...." Still wild speculation.

Try reading that again, moron.

BTW, you mocked me for citing that same blog earlier this week. I cite articles based on real finds in the real world, not the articles that merely speculate and muse.

Fk off, crackhead.

Location hidden

#609015 Mar 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> There are two factor to his paper.
The first and most important one is that, this is a estimate of the possibility of intelligent life comparable to us.
The second one is the main author David S. Spiegel, is very young.
Extremely intelligent but young, and he is correct .
The odds life will evolve into intelligence is very slim.
But the odds life in simplistic form is out there, or was, as also yet to be are fairly high.
Excerpt
((On such planets there would
not yet have been enough time for creatures capable of such
contemplations to evolve. In other words, if evolution
requires
3.5 Gyr for life to evolve from the simplest forms to intelligent,
questioning beings, then we
had
to nd ourselves on a planet
where life arose relatively early, regardless of the value of
In order to introduce this constraint into the calculation
we de ne
t
evolve
as the minimum amount of time required af-
ter the emergence of life for cosmologically curious creatures
to evolve,
t
emerge
as the age of the Earth from when the earliest
extant evidence of life remains (though life might have actu-
ally emerged earlier), and
t
as the current age of the Earth.
The data, then, are that life arose on Earth at least once, ap-
proximately 3.8 billion years ago,
and
that this emergence was
early enough that human beings had the opportunity subse-
quently to evolve and to wonder about their origins and the
possibility of life elsewhere in the Universe.)))
Me wonders if people actually read the evidence they cite?
Reading and understanding are two different things.

Location hidden

#609016 Mar 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Me also wonders if some people will actually be
upset and disappointed in the advent and discovery that alien life does exist?
But why?
Bad enough is that it may be true but,
worst of all is wishing it to be true.
As long as nobody insists on bringing the ETs back to Earth. We have enough difficulties dealing with our own, local microbes without adding alien ones into the mix.
Greens - tuf

Northmead, Australia

#609017 Mar 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>The heart speeds or slows in response to emotions. Old phraseology is hard to lose despite the knowledge that we obviously do not think with our hearts. ;)
I'm a romantic, "at heart".
I here you, loud and clear.
I just replace the word heart with soul.
Same with love. I replace that with energy.
It makes much more sence.
It's a bit like saying" what a beautiful sunset"
We know that the sun does not set or rise, but that phraseology will always remain.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#609018 Mar 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And yet more wild postulations from the deluded one who thinks he can make any claim and we should accept them all as absolute truths.
http://gizmodo.com/5911185/scientists-invent-...
Yeah, human made plants, good counter argument. Grow up child.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#609019 Mar 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You are the pathetic shit who can't understand what you read, trollwad.
Aw, you're still jealous of me, how cute. Sorry, but your paranoid delusions have gotten the better of what's left of your mind.
endtime

AOL

#609020 Mar 9, 2013

COMING POPE ---#--- to Mediate MIDEAST PEACE

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#609021 Mar 9, 2013
Stanley and I usually bring some laughter wherever we go.

This forum needs some laughter in a big way. Most of its members are filled with hate for each other and if they don't quit it soon, they will all miss the bus.

Stanley seems to think that not only will members miss the bus, but that they will also miss their funerals.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#609022 Mar 9, 2013
Stan-an-Ollie wrote:
This forum needs some laughter in a big way. Most of its members are filled with hate for each other and if they don't quit it soon, they will all miss the bus.
Stanley seems to think that not only will members miss the bus, but that they will also miss their funerals.
I wouldn't mind missin' mine...

...another fine mess you've got me into.
Greens - tuf

Northmead, Australia

#609023 Mar 9, 2013
Stan-an-Ollie wrote:
I miss my bus, it was a nice bus :(
Greens - tuf

Northmead, Australia

#609024 Mar 9, 2013
Stan-an-Ollie wrote:
You would need roughly 107 million buses to transport all us clowns.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#609025 Mar 9, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm NOT racist, I have muslim friends too and i bow my head to muslim saints in my religious book, i worship them, but what has that got to do with anything? I'm not brainwashed either, but we have to start being honest and stop sugar coating stuff, u might not know the history of India but i do, this is what Muslims did when they invaded India.
I'm telling u that i'm not blaming Islam, i'm blaming the arabic culture for all this sh*t, Even the koran talks about beating women and having sex with women captured in war, it too has been influenced by this sick culture.
And no, the Media doesn't blow this whole thing up, the media is such a bitch that it calls these criminals ASIAN, Why r they so afraid to say muslim or pakistani? I hate it when they do that.
These individuals are justifying themselves through their religion, so we gotta bring religion into it coz they brought it in first!
Recognizing of course, hon, that fanatical Christians often do the same evil things because of their religious beliefs. Or any other religion that hurts other people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Buck Crick 104,962
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 19 min Ex Lesbian River 673,543
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 184,635
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr onemale 286,297
Poll Bible - Written by Man - Edited by Man (Apr '09) 5 hr Jedi Master of All 1,933
Gay/bi Skype Sex ? (Mar '14) 6 hr Dom daddy for sub 21
Paul Ryan is a closet HOMOSEXUAL (Aug '12) 9 hr John 10
More from around the web