Prove there's a god.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#608155 Mar 5, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. PBS did a special on this and these are the factors that would matter to determine life elsewhere;
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/drak-fla...
Probability has shot 100x since the drake equation was formulated, because of what we know now... I think it would take the effort of a god to stop it. What ever caused life made it so it will happen, the odds that it did happen only once is low.

However there is also a high probability that we we never know.
Forum

Hobbs, NM

#608156 Mar 5, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooooooh!! I love playing fact games.....
FACT: men wrote the Bible
FACT: men chose what others are to believe
FACT: the Bible contains less than half of the teachings by Jesus
FACT: the Bible utilizes less than half of the original 13 Apostles
Your turn!!
God wrote the Bible. Jesus is still teaching.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#608157 Mar 5, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on Aura, if there were life on other planets then surely that important fact would be covered in the Bible. Since it's not mentioned, then there can't be any. BTW, I also don't believe in the existence of Australia.
So far planets appear to be not unlike snowflakes, but are we to decide the defining characteristics
for alien life? Or can we only base it on known values. It is determined that even with known values the probability is in favor.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#608158 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The odds that the milky way would produce life is 1 in 400,000,000 , at the very worst. If all galaxies have the same odds, then there should be life on at least 1 planet in each.
But if there is life in 1 planet in a million galaxies, there is still great odds there is life out there because.
There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe.
So even a small chance of life , on a universal scale amounts to a large figure.
Odds are that there is other life within the universe. How can there not be? But to calculate it or try to even get close with the Drake equation is just a guess. There's too many unknowns. Too many variables. But even if extraterrestrial life can be proven, why would that have any effect on the Bible? How would that be relevant? After all doesn't the Bible speak of ALL creation? Did God just make the Earth and stop?
Just like Drake's equations, there's far too many unknowns to figure out God's plan for the rest of the universe as we "intelligent" folk sit here on Topix not even being able to come to any agreement as to what happened here on this ball of dirt.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#608159 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
What ever caused life made it so it will happen, the odds that it did happen only once is low.
Exactly. Well said. The really big question is why did life need to happen? What ever caused life, why did it need to create life, what was lacking?
However there is also a high probability that we never know.
If global warming does us as humans in then I agree, we'll probably never know. But if we can get past the global warming issue (which I doubt) then mankind will always be searching for answers to anything and everything that it does not yet know.

Location hidden

#608160 Mar 5, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
to calculate it or try to even get close with the Drake equation is just a guess.
Of course it's just a guess, but do we as humans really need to know an exact number to establish that there is other life in the universe?

In 1977, at Ohio Sate University, The Big Ear radio telescope picked up an unusual signal. Big Ear used numbers and letters to determine the strength of a signal, 0 being meaningless noise and Z being a strong radio signal. An astronomer, Dr. Jerry R. Ehman, studying the data from the telescope was shocked when a radio signal clocking in at ‘6EQUJ5’ came from a seemingly empty spot in space. Ehman was so shocked that he circled the signal on the data sheet and simply wrote ‘Wow’.

http://www.paranormalhaze.com/img/extraterres...

The transmission lasted 37 seconds and came from the Sagittarius constellation. Even more interesting is the fact that the nearest star in that specific direction is 220 million light years away. In other words, the signal came from an empty spot in space. It is also interesting to note that the signal had all the characteristics of an interstellar broadcast.
even if extraterrestrial life can be proven, why would that have any effect on the Bible?
That would depend on the type of extraterrestrial life.
Did God just make the Earth and stop?
Highly doubtful.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#608161 Mar 5, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Well said. The really big question is why did life need to happen? What ever caused life, why did it need to create life, what was lacking?
<quoted text>If global warming does us as humans in then I agree, we'll probably never know. But if we can get past the global warming issue (which I doubt) then mankind will always be searching for answers to anything and everything that it does not yet know.

Man can survive global warming, can entire populations at current levels survive it? Doubtful.

Can man survive another major mass extinction?
Possibly

Will life survive another mass extinction?
Undoubtly

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#608162 Mar 5, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Odds are that there is other life within the universe. How can there not be? But to calculate it or try to even get close with the Drake equation is just a guess. There's too many unknowns. Too many variables. But even if extraterrestrial life can be proven, why would that have any effect on the Bible? How would that be relevant? After all doesn't the Bible speak of ALL creation? Did God just make the Earth and stop?
Just like Drake's equations, there's far too many unknowns to figure out God's plan for the rest of the universe as we "intelligent" folk sit here on Topix not even being able to come to any agreement as to what happened here on this ball of dirt.

If there is a god , there is multiple abundant life of that I have no doubt.

My calculation does not assume there is any help.

So Al if life does have help.
It should be vast and abundant.

And if it is not, god is a poor thinker.

After all if life was created , the god is a farmer.
endtime

AOL

#608163 Mar 5, 2013

----#---- NEXT POPE is ANTICHRIST

Location hidden

#608164 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Man can survive global warming
Latest reports say that mankind is not correcting itself fast enough to undo the damage created, and about to be created. We're like a snowball going down a hill. We may not see all of it's terrible effects in our lifetime, but our children most certainly will.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/late-stop-gl...

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#608165 Mar 5, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Latest reports say that mankind is not correcting itself fast enough to undo the damage created, and about to be created. We're like a snowball going down a hill. We may not see all of it's terrible effects in our lifetime, but our children most certainly will.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/late-stop-gl...
Look not to mass media for wisdom, but rather the history of known factors. But we also have the one advantage no other ever possessed before us. We know it.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#608166 Mar 5, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
But even if extraterrestrial life can be proven, why would that have any effect on the Bible? How would that be relevant? After all doesn't the Bible speak of ALL creation? Did God just make the Earth and stop?
The Bible describes a God who created the universe for one specific species of mammal in our particular planet. Further, the Bible says this one species of mammal was created in the image of this deity, which is very exclusive of any other life form. Galileo made the church unhappy by proving there were other planets, which was a big blow to what the Bible says (that the sky is a fixed dome). Then of course Darwin came along and proved that species evolve from earlier forms, which shot another hole through it. If alien life, especially sentient life, were discovered elsewhere, it would be yet another nail in the coffin I'm afraid. Then again, as far as I see it, the fact that there are other sentient species besides us on this planet is problematic for the Bible, which says animals have no souls, and were put here for our entertainment, enslavement, and to consume.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#608167 Mar 5, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible describes a God who created the universe for one specific species of mammal in our particular planet. Further, the Bible says this one species of mammal was created in the image of this deity, which is very exclusive of any other life form. Galileo made the church unhappy by proving there were other planets, which was a big blow to what the Bible says (that the sky is a fixed dome). Then of course Darwin came along and proved that species evolve from earlier forms, which shot another hole through it. If alien life, especially sentient life, were discovered elsewhere, it would be yet another nail in the coffin I'm afraid. Then again, as far as I see it, the fact that there are other sentient species besides us on this planet is problematic for the Bible, which says animals have no souls, and were put here for our entertainment, enslavement, and to consume.
Interpretation does not necessarily equate to truth.

Location hidden

#608168 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Look not to mass media for wisdom, but rather the history of known factors.
I don't. I look at everything, especially books. Anthony Leiserowitz wrote a really good book on the topic. You can see his interview here from PBS;

http://billmoyers.com/segment/anthony-leisero...

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#608169 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Interpretation does not necessarily equate to truth.
You mean like the second amendment?

Sorry, could not resist. ;)

Location hidden

#608170 Mar 5, 2013
wilderide wrote:
Excellant point Wilderide! LOL... I'm sure myth will try to weasel out of what he said. That is so funny....

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#608171 Mar 5, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, could not resist. ;)
You have the problem of interpretation there, that's understandable.
You are also are a vegetarian, meaning you do not prey on animals to survive. For those who's predation is limited to the supermarket produce section , I wouldn't expect you to understand or agree with my practice.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#608172 Mar 5, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Ooooooh!! I love playing fact games.....
FACT: men wrote the Bible
FACT: men chose what others are to believe
FACT: the Bible contains less than half of the teachings by Jesus
FACT: the Bible utilizes less than half of the original 13 Apostles
Your turn!!
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
God wrote the Bible. Jesus is still teaching.
Wrong. If you think this, then you surely have missed out on alot of Bible study, teachings by Jesus, and have read way to much into what you do read.

a. Men wrote the bible, as "God" only (supposedly) hand wrote teh "Ten Commandments". But since we don't have those, this is all speculation still.

b. Jesus supposedly died in the 1st C. Can you please direct me to where he is actively teaching?
- your analogy, in that Jesus is still teachign is false. Men teach other men about Jesus. And those men have even failed at doing that, as they have only taught a portion of what Jesus taught.

If you are so sure of these actions that you have claimed.....

a. citation that verifies any god wrote the Bible.
b. Show me where Jesus is teaching today.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#608173 Mar 5, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Excellant point Wilderide! LOL... I'm sure myth will try to weasel out of what he said. That is so funny....
The second amendment insures animals do not prey on me, regardless the sum of their legs.
Rush

Fairbury, NE

#608174 Mar 5, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>If global warming does us as humans in then I agree, we'll probably never know. But if we can get past the global warming issue (which I doubt) then mankind will always be searching for answers to anything and everything that it does not yet know.
The earth will heal its self, and start over again like it has before. If we as humans are part of that, who knows, but in the 5 billion years that it has been here, we are just a moment in time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 18 min truth 640,988
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 29 min jasiEL 104,546
Play "end of the word" part 2 32 min jasiEL 1,695
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 58 min Rosa_Winkel 37,124
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 280,845
Leslie Van Houten's parole hearing August 2009 (Jul '09) 1 hr Jimmy 1,578
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 44,259
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr LAWEST100 618,275
More from around the web