Prove there's a god.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#607745 Mar 3, 2013
timn17 wrote:
I don't think that believing you will succeed at a particular task necessarily constitutes faith. And I'm not talking about that "type" of faith anyway, I'm talking about the kind of faith that leads one to believe in "something" with no evidence to support this belief, and I'm suggesting that maybe this type of thinking is not the best for our species as a whole. I'm not talking about optimism, or trust, or confidence. I think that believing in things with no evidence is bad, on the whole. I'm not talking about potential side benefits that may come with faith - I'm just talking about the act of looking up at the sky and knowing, with conviction, that god made it blue just for you. I don't think that's a good thing.
Also, I'm nitpicking, but I think that, as a child, believing in santa would not actually be an example of faith. From the child's perspective at least it is a totally rational position. They are told by trusted loved ones that santa exists and that he brings gifts - the gifts always arrive, and sometimes there is "evidence" of his passing through. I don't think the "lesson" here is that faith is good or conducive to a good childhood, but that giving and receiving gifts while enjoying a "shared illusion" of sorts is a fun thing to do.
My new definition for religious faith is "the suppression of doubt".

You don't need faith to believe something. You need faith to silence doubt, so that whatever you believe can be elevated to a higher knowledge status in your mind. If we can't call that a delusion, we can't call anything a delusion.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#607746 Mar 3, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>OH, this ought to be good.
What, exactly, do I supposedly "purpose"? LOL....

You and the Frakenfeinstein, Obama, UN disarm America plan are your points of reckoning. Liberal control and make slaves of the world by outlawing everything that stops them from becoming gods and a NWO false utopian dream and the queen for a day plan plan.

You know the stuff we have been arguing about the last two months.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#607747 Mar 3, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>The comments on that article were... less than enthusiastic.
The P-nut gallery is always a source of divine inspiration.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#607748 Mar 3, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
You don't need faith to believe something. You need faith to silence doubt, so that whatever you believe can be elevated to a higher knowledge status in your mind. If we can't call that a delusion, we can't call anything a delusion.
LOL.... before I got to your last sentence I was thinking "hey, that's the same thing as a delusion"....

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#607749 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You and the Frakenfeinstein, Obama, UN disarm America plan are your points of reckoning. Liberal control and make slaves of the world by outlawing everything that stops them from becoming gods and a NWO false utopian dream and the queen for a day plan plan.
You know the stuff we have been arguing about the last two months.
This dude is cool.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/03/39502-breakin...

Location hidden

#607750 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
You and the Frakenfeinstein, Obama, UN disarm America plan are your points of reckoning. Liberal control and make slaves of the world by outlawing everything that stops them from becoming gods
See, I knew it would be entertaining. LOL...Gun nuts have this funny habit of always going off on a some tangent, and then falling off the cliff...

Location hidden

#607751 Mar 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Excellant article.

Strange how the gun was so lazy like that.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#607752 Mar 3, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>See, I knew it would be entertaining. LOL...Gun nuts have this funny habit of always going off on a some tangent, and then falling off the cliff...
PS mylanta I'm not a gun nut, but I am a advocate of keep your hands off my liberties or draw back a nub.

Since: Mar 13

Glen Rose, TX

#607753 Mar 3, 2013
I'm trying to connect the dot between the existence of God and guns, which seems to be the topic right now. lol At any rate, I don't think you can prove God exists. You either believe in fairytales or you don't. And for guns? I'm not a gun nut, but don't mess with our 2nd Amendment.
P.S. Quit jacking up the prices on bullets, you asshats.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#607754 Mar 3, 2013
AriaJames wrote:
I'm trying to connect the dot between the existence of God and guns, which seems to be the topic right now. lol At any rate, I don't think you can prove God exists. You either believe in fairytales or you don't. And for guns? I'm not a gun nut, but don't mess with our 2nd Amendment.
P.S. Quit jacking up the prices on bullets, you asshats.

It appears guns and humanists are mutually exclusive. But it is a fair mix of religious and atheists as well as agnostics that support the second amendment. Buddha probably ran over to the humanist side?

Since: Mar 13

Glen Rose, TX

#607755 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears guns and humanists are mutually exclusive. But it is a fair mix of religious and atheists as well as agnostics that support the second amendment. Buddha probably ran over to the humanist side?
I kinda see myself more of a Humanist than and Atheist. I do not know what there is out there. I am certain of what I feel with my senses and I make use of rational thought. I don't believe in absolutes unless it is something that can be proven and fact checked. I don't like labels anyway. I am me. I am what I am.:)

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#607757 Mar 3, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>
Time will decide that. LOL...
Why do morons like yourself always end your weak arguments with a bitter "LOL?"

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#607758 Mar 3, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>You quoting from Ann Coulter is like a fundamentalists quoting from the bible. Try again. LOL....
Or like you quoting from MSNBC or Mother Jones.

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#607760 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You might find this interesting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belie...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#607761 Mar 4, 2013
Who is against the second amendment? And who is messing with it? Seems ore like an interpretation problem.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#607762 Mar 4, 2013
I see that this thread is still going strong...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#607763 Mar 4, 2013
scambuster wrote:
I see that this thread is still going strong...
Goin', anyway.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#607764 Mar 4, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
This dude is cool.
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/03/39502-breakin...
That's cool.

Poor lil handicapped gun.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#607765 Mar 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah. A make believe skull. Cool
Nope, unlike yours itÂ’s real

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#607766 Mar 4, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it should be buried. Why do you like hates?
He is going to burn it.
Why should it be buried?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min It aint necessari... 29,819
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min truth 637,951
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 28 min RiccardoFire 43,906
The 71st anniversary of the Great Victory. We r... 31 min Thinking 3
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 1 hr Ann Bonney 53,715
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Neville Thompson 280,522
Do women like male butts? How do I know if I ha... (Oct '11) 4 hr slurps1017 66
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Raspberry8445 181,945
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Moaner1296 617,966
More from around the web