Prove there's a god.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#604486 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the adult s'posed to a role model for the kids, not vice versa.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a kid at heart, but to hear that she's 39 and still learning how to laugh is weird.
What's wrong with that? You're never to old to learn that.
If you could learn a new way to do that..everyday.
It wouldn't be a wasted day .

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#604487 Feb 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that anyone claims that faith is an actual virus - but that it behaves so much like one that it is not inaccurate to call it a "mind virus" or a "meme." It replicates itself by "infecting" new hosts, it is resistant to attempts to "purge" it from one's mind, and it encourages behavior that helps it to spread.
Some light reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viruses_of_the_M...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Root_of_All_...
There is a lot more out there if you are interested.
We all have faith, Tim. Even you.

Hebrews defines faith as “the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen”

Jesus explained it to Thomas:“Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed”.

The fact is that everybody has faith.

Evolutionists have faith in their version of origins, subway passengers trust a train driver’s skills, and children believe they’ll get gifts at Christmas.

All of us are relying on something unseen.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#604488 Feb 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that anyone claims that faith is an actual virus - but that it behaves so much like one that it is not inaccurate to call it a "mind virus" or a "meme." It replicates itself by "infecting" new hosts, it is resistant to attempts to "purge" it from one's mind, and it encourages behavior that helps it to spread.
Some light reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viruses_of_the_M...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Root_of_All_...
There is a lot more out there if you are interested.
You could have describe education.

It replicates itself by "infecting" new hosts, it is resistant to attempts to "purge" it from one's mind, and it encourages behavior that helps it to spread.

Get educated.
Forum

Hobbs, NM

#604489 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude!
Go in to the light.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#604490 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it wrong.
Or just continue to shit talk.
Really? There's nothing to prove wrong... He didn't make an argument. Saying "the universe is complex, so god did it" is not an argument. It's laughable. It is a particularly unoriginal argument from ignorance - according to his logic, if we can't completely explain the complexity of the universe, then god did it.

Do you consider that to be reasonable?

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#604491 Feb 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but when you go over there , your euros go just as fast as a dollar.they cheat you twice on gas and try to make it sound cheap.
Fist they tell you its only 1.70 euro per litre . You say cool its cheap , but then it takes 3.79 litres to make a gallon . So you pay
6.44 euros gallon. Which makes it 8.48 dollars a gallon.
We could make a living with a big gas can.
Screw dat gas is 3.29 a gallon !
You do the math. The dollar is worth more gas!
Take some Beano.
TESTING

Riverside, CA

#604492 Feb 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It replicates itself by "infecting" new hosts, it is resistant to attempts to "purge" it from one's mind, and it encourages behavior that helps it to spread.
Get educated.
And it also describes Science.

Hermosa Beach, CA

#604493 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hebrews defines faith as “the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen”
Jesus explained it to Thomas:“Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed”.
Evolutionists have faith in their version of origins, subway passengers trust a train driver’s skills, and children believe they’ll get gifts at Christmas.
I hadn't seen Tim for a long while.

But I had faith he would return.

Does that make me religious?

Location hidden

#604494 Feb 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Get educated.
Did I say that faith is the only mental phenomena that could be described as a mind virus/meme?

I did not. In fact, the word meme itself refers specifically to ideas/behaviors/etc that spread through populations like a virus. However, I might call faith a harmful (or at least not beneficial) meme. Do you consider education to be a harmful meme?

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#604496 Feb 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Take some Beano.
Now I know why you were backing up to the gas cap. lol

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#604497 Feb 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say that faith is the only mental phenomena that could be described as a mind virus/meme?
I did not. In fact, the word meme itself refers specifically to ideas/behaviors/etc that spread through populations like a virus. However, I might call faith a harmful (or at least not beneficial) meme. Do you consider education to be a harmful meme?
I consider your hypothesis a null and meaningless comparison.
Anything can be self destructive or beneficial. It all depends on how it is used.

Location hidden

#604498 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I always think it's funny when christians basically say "well, you guys have faith too, so we are both equally unjustified in our beliefs about some things!"

Anyways, I disagree. I do not have faith in the same way that you have faith, and I certainly do not possess the type of "faith" described by jesus. I don't believe in anything for no reason at all.

"Evolutionists" do not have faith - that would be like saying that "gravitoligists" have faith that they aren't going to float up into the sky one day. Evolution is evidence based, and so is not based on faith. Sure, you could say that I have "faith" that there exists no massive conspiracy by evolutionary scientists, that the devil didn't plant fossils all over the world, and that our dating techniques are accurate, but that would be stretching the definition of faith quite far. Also, evolution makes no claim on the ultimate origin of life itself, if that's what you were saying.

Subway passengers do trust the driver's skills, to an extent I suppose, but that is not faith. They know that their driver has been trained. They know that their driver has driven the same route thousands of times without flying off the tracks. It's not as if subway passengers step onto the train, and then asked by the driver to have "faith" that he can make the train fly. That would be faith - the acceptance of a nearly unbelievable thing for no reason at all.
bigGOVT

AOL

#604499 Feb 21, 2013

#1 NEWS STORY which FOX, CNN, BBC WON'T AIR

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#604500 Feb 21, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Go in to the light.
Lol, if OCB was my woman, I'd die and the light I'd see!

Location hidden

#604501 Feb 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I consider your hypothesis a null and meaningless comparison.
Anything can be self destructive or beneficial. It all depends on how it is used.
Goodness you are a happy camper.

But sure, anything can be destructive or beneficial. In some instances, faith might be a good thing. Murder can be beneficial in the right situation too - what if someone murdered hitler? Does that make murder a good thing? We can come up with a scenario in which any given behavior might be "beneficial," but that doesn't make said behavior a good thing overall.

Anyways, how was my comparison "meaningless?" You're the one who brought up the education/faith thing in the first place - I was simply pointing out that if we are choosing between a meme that increases knowledge and intelligence and one that encourages irrational belief and closed mindedness, it should be quite clear which one is preferable. Really, how many possible situations are there in which blind faith would be something you want in a population?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#604502 Feb 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Really? There's nothing to prove wrong... He didn't make an argument. Saying "the universe is complex, so god did it" is not an argument. It's laughable. It is a particularly unoriginal argument from ignorance - according to his logic, if we can't completely explain the complexity of the universe, then god did it.
Do you consider that to be reasonable?
I think it's absolutely unreasonable to discount God as our creator unless evidence is presented to discount Him.

Unless that happens, it's just an atheist belief.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#604503 Feb 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't seen Tim for a long while.
But I had faith he would return.
Does that make me religious?
Nope. But it demonstrates that faith is real.

It is.

And faith is not limited to religious faith.

Atheists are just ascared of that word.

Hermosa Beach, CA

#604504 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's absolutely unreasonable to discount God as our creator unless evidence is presented to discount Him.
Unless that happens, it's just an atheist belief.
No. You have it backward.

Skeptics await evidence OF a god before having a belief.

So far, nada.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#604505 Feb 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I always think it's funny when christians basically say "well, you guys have faith too, so we are both equally unjustified in our beliefs about some things!"
Anyways, I disagree. I do not have faith in the same way that you have faith, and I certainly do not possess the type of "faith" described by jesus. I don't believe in anything for no reason at all.
"Evolutionists" do not have faith - that would be like saying that "gravitoligists" have faith that they aren't going to float up into the sky one day. Evolution is evidence based, and so is not based on faith. Sure, you could say that I have "faith" that there exists no massive conspiracy by evolutionary scientists, that the devil didn't plant fossils all over the world, and that our dating techniques are accurate, but that would be stretching the definition of faith quite far. Also, evolution makes no claim on the ultimate origin of life itself, if that's what you were saying.
Subway passengers do trust the driver's skills, to an extent I suppose, but that is not faith. They know that their driver has been trained. They know that their driver has driven the same route thousands of times without flying off the tracks. It's not as if subway passengers step onto the train, and then asked by the driver to have "faith" that he can make the train fly. That would be faith - the acceptance of a nearly unbelievable thing for no reason at all.
Trust or confidence in something is just another way of saying faith in something.

Evolutionists certainly employ a lot of (or a leap of) faith to reach their "findings".

Humans have an innate curiosity & need for answers. People like atheists love to hear that there's "proof" of non-creation when in fact there is none.

Take abiogenesis for example; if humans succeed in creating a life from non-life, you lose.

If humans show that nature can create life from non-life, I lose.

You have faith in the former, I have faith in the latter.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#604506 Feb 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
No. You have it backward.
Skeptics await evidence OF a god before having a belief.
So far, nada.
I know, I used to be a skeptic. I understand that point-of-view.

God can & will supply the evidence you need, but you must have faith in Him first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min PELE78 63,161
"My anger wouldn't let me feel for a 'stranger'" 3 min Doctor REALITY 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Liamm 653,555
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 15 min Ricky F 39,118
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 16 min LAWEST100 618,736
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 18 min Ricky F 53,883
Jokes About The Crew !!!!!! (Oct '10) 22 min Ricky F 10
first gay experience? (Sep '14) 9 hr Katie_Anderson14 41
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 hr RiccardoFire 106,459
More from around the web