Prove there's a god.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#598692 Feb 9, 2013
naja haje wrote:
<quoted text>
this person describes it wonderfully
The words on the page are a dead letter. They don’t do anything. They just sit there. The power of law is the power of an idea. It is not self-executing. It is executed by people, and it has the meaning they give it. That’s true of all words. They have the meaning we give them.
http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/2010/04/...
culture and language evolve and people describes the same thing with differing symbols to which they assign meanings but the idea is the same.
there is a great quote by a an ancient east philosopher.
"once an idea is understood, words are no longer necessary."
mencius
tautology implies that something is being expressed in innumerable ways.
tautology:(1) The needless repetition of an idea using different words.(2) In logic, a statement that is unconditionally true by virtue of its form alone.
naja haje

Middlesboro, KY

#598693 Feb 9, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
christianity is a failed moral system
all systems fail. life moves forever on. i'm not christian. you've known that for years.

“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say”

JRR Tolkien

i'm just another wondering wanderer. like you.
Largelanguage

Mold, UK

#598694 Feb 9, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Sure it is troll. You're just a simpleton who gets easily confused. Not really your fault, more of your parents fault for abusing you like they did.
No, it isn't. I'm sure that is a deflection though. And everybody is entitled to their own opinions. A more complicated website is not easy to make.

Location hidden

#598695 Feb 9, 2013
naja haje wrote:
<quoted text>sometimes it is very hard for someone to put into words what they know. some things it's hard to find your voice when you've been conditioned to listen to everyone and everything else.
when i was a youngster my best friend whispered when he spoke. he whispered everything. then one day he began to talk loud. i mean really loud. it was amazing the change in his presence. i remember him laughing. that was 1st grade. he drowned during summer vacation.
i woke in the night to a siren; which was unusual in our area. he was alone and fell into a pond. i remember going to the funeral and seeing his body. i thought, "that looks like my friend but that isn't him".
i can still hear his laughing across the years
Yes: "a haunting"

you have unusual friends, fitting, n'est pas?
Largelanguage

Mold, UK

#598696 Feb 9, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Only on your religitard websites. Read 'em and weep loser;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists...
None of them were that substancial. And Steve Hawkings is certainly not credible.

Location hidden

#598697 Feb 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It has not been determined if the universe itself is closed/open or isolated, which makes a difference in the laws of thermodynamics.
It can't be conclusively shown a soul exists. Indeed this incorporates belief not science sweety.
I understand "soul" to mean "that spark that is life" : to represent that which is referred, when one says: "I".

The contention that the "soul" survives death is religious
Largelanguage

Mold, UK

#598698 Feb 9, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if it would be revealed, which it won't be, so it's a non-issue.
<quoted text>You believe ANYTHING that your parents tell you to believe simpleton. And you'll like it.
Another deflection. Were you told what believe yourself? Now trying to escape the pain your parents gave you through God? Children for Christ, such painful for you to go through, sucks doesn't it?
Largelanguage

Mold, UK

#598699 Feb 9, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol! Relax kiddo! I was just kidding. And that statement was from my fun, cynical side.
Not my religious side.
Your soooo sensitive.... Lol!:)
I could quote Jesus about he being the truth, but you've already heard that.
Your truth? My truth? They don't have to be contradictory you know. Sometimes two things can be equally true.
Hormones are coming, be soft, and you'll let her hormones do what they want, we need control on the child, God's control!
Largelanguage

Mold, UK

#598700 Feb 9, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We meet tonight in the usual place at the usual time.
Bring the blueprints.
And don't forget the duct tape, Clementine.
You always forget the duct tape.
You and your cheap little gangs aren't any good!
naja haje

Middlesboro, KY

#598701 Feb 9, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
tautology:(1) The needless repetition of an idea using different words.(2) In logic, a statement that is unconditionally true by virtue of its form alone.
e pluribus unum
Largelanguage

Mold, UK

#598702 Feb 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
We as humans do not know everything, though some humans may know pretty much everything that is known.
That still may not be very much,
when compared to everything we want to know.
I guess as long as we know everything we really need to know, then we wont have problems functioning in society.
But some of us know far too much to function smoothly within it.
The greatest thing to know I think is that, we don't know everything.
Knowing that leaves room to learn something new.:)
Tragic when you don't know enough to know how much you don't know.
naja haje

Middlesboro, KY

#598703 Feb 9, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes: "a haunting"
you have unusual friends, fitting, n'est pas?
si

Mi destino es andar
Mis recuerdos
Son una estela en el mar

Lo que tengo, lo doy
Digo lo que pienso
Tómame como soy

Location hidden

#598704 Feb 9, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>No offense taken Booots. It's a real and valid question. There have been several instances when I have seen God perform miracles in my life. And several where I have been angry at him and questioned him.
In one instance, I was driving home from El Paso Texas and my nieces, nephews, sister and kids were in the minivan i was driving and we were going through a particular treacherous winding section of road in Beaumont CA at about 3 am. The road was two lanes in either direction and deep canyons to either side. Driving In the lane next to me was the second Car with my brothers and my mom and dad in it.
As I rounded a curve in the road there in my lane was an overturned pickup truck blocking my lane. I was traveling too fast to brake, and my only options were
1. Swerve left into the center divider and wipe out
2. Swerve right and wipeout the car with my brothers and parents
3. Go straight as I attempt to brake and hope the impact was not to severe.
In that split second I chose option 3.
I slammed on the brakes and we skidded forward. I thought to my self "God it's your will but why now?" I closed my eyes right before the impact and gritted my teeth. I opened my eyes and I completely missed the truck and was on the opposite side. I did not swerve, the truck not only blocked my lane but also blocked a couple of feet into my brothers lane as well.
I should have wrecked. I should have plowed into that other vehicle at 60mph and wrecked.
I have no other explanation as to what happened.
Was it a miracle? Don't know. But I cannot explain it
The other that sticks out is the birth of my son.
We had received bad news from the hospital from the blood work that there was something wrong with the fetus. We were to go Children's Hospital in Orange for an amniocentesis for further testing.
We arrived. The procedure was performed and the Doctor eventually came back with the results.
The baby had tested very high with a positive low.
Our child was going to have severe Downs Syndrome and suffer from extreme defects
He was of the opinion that we should terminate the pregnancy immediately. He reasoned and told us that we were were still young and should try for another child. A healthy child. We shouldn't burden ourselves with such a problem for the rest of our lives. Needless to say Booots, we cried. What should have been a joyous occasion had now turned into an emotional nightmare.
We prayed about it and no answer came. My woman looked to me for the final decision and I was scared. Terminating the pregnancy and starting fresh was the most feasible smart thing to do. The morning before we had to make a decision I was sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and wasn't even thinking about the baby anymore as a decision had already been made.
I swear I heard or rather strongly felt a voice that said that children are a gift from God. A gift from the womb. I literally had to look around to see who had spoken.
The kitchen was empty.
The Doctor was not thrilled with our decision
To continue with the pregnancy but it was our decision.
That taught us boots, to accept what God gives us.
To not judge others for who they are, what they look like.
The baby was born. He did have some health issues over the years. But he's all grown up now. Healthy and strong. Attends college and Works at Disney running the light shows and events and now volunteers all over at the local Theaters donating his time and knowledge to the community,
He is my miracle baby.
If god is to receive credit for random situations of good fortune, then god must be responsible for situations of ill fortune.

To imply that god changed to course of reality in your favor, is to imply that you are favored by the god, that you are more worthy than others, that others are less than you.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#598705 Feb 9, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
He creates evil, for the greater good. He himself is not evil.
And those were the last words ever heard uttered by the psychopath who was locked away in an effort to spare himself and humanity any more harm from that day forward.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#598706 Feb 9, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
If god is to receive credit for random situations of good fortune, then god must be responsible for situations of ill fortune.
To imply that god changed to course of reality in your favor, is to imply that you are favored by the god, that you are more worthy than others, that others are less than you.
Is there any reason that you know of why God would not favor me at those specific times and those specific places?

Location hidden

#598707 Feb 9, 2013
naja haje wrote:
<quoted text>
e pluribus unum
Novus ordo seclorum

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#598708 Feb 9, 2013
naja haje wrote:
: a person who holds the view that any ###ultimate reality###(as God) is unknown and probably unknowable;
THANK YOU for confirming what I said.

Agnosticism is the belief that the existence or non-existence of any deity is unknown and possibly unknowable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Enjoy.

Location hidden

#598709 Feb 9, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>Mylan, you're much too smart a person to make a statement like that. I know a smart person when I read one. Most historians agree that Jesus was a real man and did exist. Even Richard Dawkins admits that Jesus existed. There are also doubts in the minds of some people that Socrates, Plato even Alexander the Great existed.
For heavens sake, even the attacks at 9-11 are being questioned. And this happened in our lifetimes.
There will always be people out there Mylan that will say anything to try to be contrary or confuse.
the character depicted in the christian bible as "jesus the christ"

is mythological.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#598710 Feb 9, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there any reason that you know of why God would not favor me at those specific times and those specific places?
No specific reason, Al.

But I do think it's sort of silly to believe those things.

I'm a skeptic.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#598711 Feb 9, 2013
Clementia wrote:
guys, don't take the piss, i'm being serious, i seen the documentaries, it was a conspiracy, it was!!
Don't mind people like that. They can't handle the truth and so they try to brush it away. The link below is to a site started by journalist in search for the truth, wherever it may lead, and they have confirmed much of what you suspect.

http://www.911truth.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 5 min WasteWater 2,601
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 25 min Thinking 64,617
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min Steve III 654,424
Calgary Plumbers 49 min calgaryplumbers 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 45,287
desperate to pee (Mar '09) 1 hr get real 210
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Dr Banonator 106,610
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr MUQ2 281,954
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr X Pendable 183,219
More from around the web