“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#597820 Feb 5, 2013
siehjin wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
i will repeat here what i've already said to Karl44:
"my contention is that the existence of the universe is evidence for the existence of God. given how amazingly complex and breathtakingly beautiful the universe is, this proposition is intuitively probable. therefore if you nay-sayers fail to disprove it, i would say that my contention stands."
let me use a courtroom analogy to illustrate how i see this.
let us say that A is accused of the murder of B. as such, the prosecutor's job is to "prove that A murdered B".(in the same way, in this forum the theist's challenge is to "prove that there's a god".)
so then, the prosecutor shows the court a knife and claims that it is the murder weapon, evidence that A has murdered B.(in the same way, i have claimed that the existence of the universe is evidence for the existence of God.)
however, the defending attorney objects. a mere knife is proof of nothing, he says.(in the same way, various people here have objected, saying that the existence of the universe does not prove that God exists.)
the prosecutor then replies that the knife was found on the scene of the crime, with B's blood on it, and A's fingerprints.(in the same way, i have replied that the universe, in all its beauty and complexity, bears the fingerprints of God.)
unless the defending attorney has some better reason why the knife should not be considered as evidence in the trial, it will be accepted as incriminating evidence against A.(in the same way, unless those objectors have some better reason why the existence of the universe should not be considered as evidence of God's existence, it should be accepted as such.)
You propose a tangible object is responsible for a material crime, which can be demonstrated by physical evidence as being the culprit. All within the realm of possibility.

Then you compare it to a intangible object as being responsible
for a material act , which cannot be demonstrated by physical evidence as being the culprit. Yet you do not see the flaw in your reasoning. Your belief is so strong it clouds your judgement.

w

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#597821 Feb 5, 2013
siehjin wrote:
<quoted text>
actually, the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a verifiable historical fact that does support my contention. as do the existence of objective moral values. but let us not get distracted. at the moment all i'm focussing on is the claim that the existence of the universe is evidence for the existence of God, and i do think that the principles of logic support my contention.
<quoted text>
what do you mean by this? are you claiming that logic itself is invalid? how would you even begin to support such a claim?
<quoted text>
i do not believe in the FSM and the IPU because they are mere parodies of God. your last sentence is false; just because parodies are not real, it does not in any way prove that the original is similarly not real.

I do not claim logic is invalid, but rather "your logic" is invalid. No the idea is the same with FSM,and IPU, also
Zeus , Mythra , Thor , Jupiter and a thousand other gods.
The only difference is that "you" believe in the one god.
So of course it doesn't make sense to "you".
siehjin

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

#597822 Feb 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
zaijian
wa, ni hui jiang hua yu ah? hao li hai!=)

Since: May 11

UK

#597823 Feb 5, 2013
siehjin wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
i will repeat here what i've already said to Karl44:
"my contention is that the existence of the universe is evidence for the existence of God. given how amazingly complex and breathtakingly beautiful the universe is, this proposition is intuitively probable. therefore if you nay-sayers fail to disprove it, i would say that my contention stands."
let me use a courtroom analogy to illustrate how i see this.
let us say that A is accused of the murder of B. as such, the prosecutor's job is to "prove that A murdered B".(in the same way, in this forum the theist's challenge is to "prove that there's a god".)
so then, the prosecutor shows the court a knife and claims that it is the murder weapon, evidence that A has murdered B.(in the same way, i have claimed that the existence of the universe is evidence for the existence of God.)
however, the defending attorney objects. a mere knife is proof of nothing, he says.(in the same way, various people here have objected, saying that the existence of the universe does not prove that God exists.)
the prosecutor then replies that the knife was found on the scene of the crime, with B's blood on it, and A's fingerprints.(in the same way, i have replied that the universe, in all its beauty and complexity, bears the fingerprints of God.)
unless the defending attorney has some better reason why the knife should not be considered as evidence in the trial, it will be accepted as incriminating evidence against A.(in the same way, unless those objectors have some better reason why the existence of the universe should not be considered as evidence of God's existence, it should be accepted as such.)
"(in the same way, i have replied that the universe, in all its beauty and complexity, bears the fingerprints of God.)".

when did god have his fingerprints taken for you to use a comparator?

It is not for the defence to find what actually did happen, the verdict is "guilty" or "innocent", there is no requirement for the defence to prove anything.

"Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat" the burden of proof is on he who asserts not he who denies.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#597824 Feb 5, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that people associate God with magic. When they search for evidence of God, they search for magic. They search for something inexplicable, like a miracle. This causes people to unwittingly develop the notion that anything explainable is not from God.
It's like if I build a factory and that factory builds robots, and then I go around in the street telling people that I built the robots, they say "Nonsense, these robots come from the factory!", and they can show me all the trademarks and instruction manuals and even the entire engineering of those robots, and they even take me on a tour of the factory.
But despite whatever explanation people give and how knowledgable they are about how the robots were made, it doesn't remove the fact that I built the factory, I built the machines that build the robots and hence I can certainly assert that I built the robots.
What God has done is far more genius than merely building robots one by one with His hands, as creationism suggests about species. He established a system of physical laws that ultimately created a self sustaining environment for life to not only survive, but self adapt and evolve. And that is why despite discovering evolution through all his research and observation, Darwin did not say that there is no God. While he rejected Christianity, he never became an atheist and never rejected the idea of an all powerful ruler and creator of the universe. At the most extreme, Darwin expressed agnostic views, stating that "the whole subject is beyond the scope of mans intellect".
The point is, all of the explanation as to how a specie came to being, ultimately does not negate the claim that God created the system that resulted in such a species and continues to drive its evolution.
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof of any god's existence.

None. Nada. Zilch.
siehjin

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

#597825 Feb 5, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Some may agree, some may disagree, but I'd say you are quite a thinker. A rarity amongst humans these days.
thank you!=)

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#597826 Feb 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Please then...describe YOUR version of god.
RR never gives any details about this sort of thing. I guess delusions are hard to describe.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#597827 Feb 5, 2013
siehjin wrote:
<quoted text>
you don't seem to get my point - being the result of chemical processes does not mean that they are not created.
let's take another example - me. i am the result of biological processes, but nevertheless i believe i am created by God. see, no contradiction. ditto for snowflakes.
I don't see how you can be the result of biological processes- which you are- and also be created by a god which you are not.

You were created by your parents. Any god which might exist had nothing to do with that.

So yes, there is a contradiction- the question is who created you- your parents or the god you believe in?

It can't be both.

But let's assume for a moment you are correct. If a god is responsible for the creation of every human being and if a god is all powerful and all knowing- which would include certain knowledge of all that takes place in the future- why would a god have created people such as Adolf Hitler, Charles Manson, Osama bin Laden, etc?

Surely an all powerful god and one who has their hand in the creation of every single living being on this planet would have known what the creations of the likes of Hitler, etc. would have become.

So why would a god create babies that he surely would have known would have grown up to be such heinous human beings?

BTW, snow flakes are NOT created by any "biological process".

Location hidden

#597828 Feb 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Mylan is God?
Who knew!
Every now and then RR has a Freudian slip....

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#597829 Feb 5, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>RR never gives any details about this sort of thing. I guess delusions are hard to describe.
As I'm sure you read, RR is on "vacation" this week.

He's sorely in need of a vacation from his vacation- that being his job which he is obviously always on vacation from considering he is on these threads a good 8 hours a day every single day of the week.

Well, the vacation he said he will be on this week should provide the rest he needs for his typing fingers- LOL!

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#597830 Feb 5, 2013
siehjin wrote:
<quoted text>
you've just repeated yourself. i've dealt with this in a previous reply to you. perhaps you missed it; it's ok, i will copy and paste it here for you:
"you mistakenly accuse me of making a 'god of the gaps' argument. that is not what i am doing. the God which i am speaking of is God of both the gaps in human knowledge, as well as the parts that have been filled. the more human beings discover about creation, the more of God's glory is revealed."
KittyKoder also accused me of arguing from ignorance, so you can refer to my response to her as well. i just posted it about half an hour ago.
<quoted text>
my contention is that the existence of the universe is evidence for the existence of God. given how amazingly complex and breathtakingly beautiful the universe is, this proposition is intuitively probable. therefore if you nay-sayers fail to disprove it, i would say that my contention stands.
<quoted text>
again, ridicule and ad hominem attacks do nothing to disprove my contention.
you have merely made a claim from ignorance

that which is advanced without evidence may be dismissed without evidence

dismissed.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#597831 Feb 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter there. Young boys seldom get pregnant.
about as often as virgins

Location hidden

#597832 Feb 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
BTW, snow flakes are NOT created by any "biological process".
Religious people don't believe in reality. Just the opposite. Faith gives them the excuse to believe in wild fantasy. In-fact the more fantastical their beliefs, the more faithful they are considered being. Snowflakes being a living organism is one example of this.

Location hidden

#597833 Feb 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
Well, the vacation he said he will be on this week should provide the rest he needs for his typing fingers
His fingers are probably the only part of his body that are in shape.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#597834 Feb 5, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Religious people don't believe in reality. Just the opposite. Faith gives them the excuse to believe in wild fantasy. In-fact the more fantastical their beliefs, the more faithful they are considered being. Snowflakes being a living organism is one example of this.
If one believes snowflakes to be "living organisms" then one would have to believe that rain, sleet, hail, fog, etc. are also all "living organisms".

I think it's well beyond fantasy to believe such things and is actually quite delusional.

Now one could argue that it is a god who created the MEANS for snowflakes, etc. to exist, but that is not to say that ANY of those examples are living organisms or that they were created by a god.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#597835 Feb 5, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>His fingers are probably the only part of his body that are in shape.
LOL!!

Location hidden

#597836 Feb 5, 2013
OCB wrote:
I think it's well beyond fantasy to believe such things and is actually quite delusional.
That, in a nutshell, is what religion is all about.

Faith gives them the excuse to put their logic in neutral. When millions of other self-deluded people do the same, it becomes a religion. Faith without supporting evidence is indistinguishable from schizophrenia.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#597837 Feb 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is my "unit" and why are you interested in it?
you didn't catch the part where i said I DON'T CARE so why should i know....?

how's hidingfromyou these days?;)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#597838 Feb 5, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Your's is the only mention of it here.
Funny that.
no - this dude constantly makes it clear that he's a she living in a....oh who knows and who cares......

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#597839 Feb 5, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
No need. You did it for me.
<quoted text>
Why should one believe anything about that story (Noah)? How do you know you're not mistaken about it?
The end of what? Your ability to scare people into believing as you do?
<quoted text>
How can an all-knowing, all-powerful deity *want* for anything?
My questioning of your belief does not equate to rebellion. One can't rebel against something until they're sure of what it is they're supposed to not rebel against.
Your inability to provide an answer to that isn't a problem for me. Apparently, it's a problem for you... you're still trying to scare me into belief. It ain't gonna work. You should realize that by now.
<quoted text>
OUCH! STOP! Gosh, but that smarts!
Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop... nyuk nyuk nyuk.
<pokes waaasssuuup in the peepers>
good luck!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality is wrong-- SIMPLE FACTS you dont ... (Sep '11) 8 min toby_7 32
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min Tony17 550,767
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 24 min andet1987 4,837
Generalized NWO Rant with book references 29 min WasteWater 19
Want to be a voluntary frontal lobotomy patient? 31 min Charlie Sheen 20
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 31 min Charlie Sheen 262,056
Lebrons home coming game Cleveland Cavaliers 34 min hometheaterproz 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 36 min Just Wondering 602,756
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr bacon hater 96,408
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Chris Clearwater 174,524

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE