|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it fits the definition of religion very good. But it also fits the definition of science very good, as science often depicts itself as absolutely true and undeniable, when it seems like most of the time the "truth" is often just a hypothesis.
But since there's no better hypothesis that becomes the "general consensus of science".
That doesn't mean in any way shape or form that that hypothesis is indeed fact. But it's often taught as fact.
Once it can be demonstrated as fact... it's considered as fact... as is the case with what was being discussed. Do you even remember what that was?

Your god cannot be demonstrated as fact, and therefor should not be considered as fact and should not be taught as fact.
You're speaking in half-truths. Religion, well at least my religion, does not wait for science to prove or disprove anything. If science stumbles across something that is thought of as a fact and we just roll with the punches. We believe that what is said in the Bible is true, although most of it is allegory or metaphor and not necessarily literal.
I was speaking in full-truths... and specifically about your religion, if you must know.

History makes that abundantly clear.
Whoops, my mistake. Yes I know the Milky Way is the galaxy, what I meant to type was that science used to think the Milky Way was the universe, and it was taught that way-that are little Milky Way galaxy is the universe, and people like you believe it because "science doesn't fault itself".
I figured you meant to say that... but, then again, it's hard to tell with you.

"They" thought the Milky Way was the whole-ball-of-wax back then due to limitations in their observational capabilities. What changed wasn't what was being observed... but rather, their ability to observe. It's a perfect example of science correcting itself.

Thank the people that make it happen >>> Scientists.
But when it does, what happens to all the folks that have been taught wrong for who knows his long?
The ones with open minds and genuine interest learn something new. The ones without those qualities don't.
True, but in the meantime for hundreds of years science, specifically medical science, "knew" that that was the best way to cure a cold-to bleed it out.
Who cares about the archaic practice of bloodletting? Besides you?

The point is and will remain, no matter how many red herrings you toss into the conversation, that science lead to abandoning that practice.

Would you like to go back to those days... because of what “they knew” back then?
And you can't compare that to religion, religion does not focus itself on medicine or biology or geology or any part of science. Religion isn't science.
This is just outright BS. I'm not even going to address it.

Since: May 11

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Victor Belmont wrote:
<quoted text>
But a man (Jesus) became a GOD!!!???
You were right the fist time

John 1:14 "So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness".

Since: Jan 13

Kuwait, Kuwait

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
well then, refute it.
I would like to but in the best form and structure, but since u want a refutation now I could tell u what I remember.

If God is omniscient then..
If God is...
If....

What I do remember was that this is not valid or sound, by not being modus ponens ot tolens I'm trying to remember though.

Still it does not matter to me much, since I'm assured there is perfect shut down for it. Reason is, if there was not, then I would still be discussing it with the professor or been convinced or he would be..

Kuwait, Kuwait

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just gonna stick to this one sentence because it seem syour whole idea is based off of it. But you're wrong.
Isaiah 45:7
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
And yes this one too

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I will ask you again because I haven't forgotten that you didn't answer earlier:
Let's say the founding fathers were all Jews. Would you have converted to Judaism?
What DIFFERENCE does it make what the founding fathers did or did not believe and why should that have ANY influence or make ANY difference regarding what YOU believe?
Anyway, here, STUPID- now go argue with wiki.
"The religious views of Thomas Jefferson diverged widely from the orthodox Christianity of his day.
Throughout his life Jefferson was intensely interested in theology, religious studies, and morality.[1]
Jefferson was most closely connected with Unitarianism and the religious philosophy of Christian deism.[2]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson...
I tried asking RidiculousRedneck if he wondered why Jefferson wrote his own bible.

He didn't even know about it.

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just gonna stick to this one sentence because it seem syour whole idea is based off of it. But you're wrong.
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
I don`t need to use that line.

I simply used the logical premise that a god with the attributes afforded to him by the bible has the power to prevent evil.

He has the knowledge of all things which were, are and shall be; that`s predestination, bye bye free will.

He does not prevent all of the things which are allegedly attributable to mankinds free will.

How can the biblical description of such a god be accurate then?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know if the lord, who is pure and divine, does everything, then there can't be evil and bad things. Everything is good then, even the evil, coz it done by the good lord! He can't make a mistake, everything is just perfect!

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine. Since other people don't matter let's just focus on you and I, not "Christians and scientists".
What would you like to discuss?

Oh... I know!

Prove there's a god.

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Victor Belmont wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to but in the best form and structure, but since u want a refutation now I could tell u what I remember.
If God is omniscient then..
If God is...
If....
What I do remember was that this is not valid or sound, by not being modus ponens ot tolens I'm trying to remember though.
Still it does not matter to me much, since I'm assured there is perfect shut down for it. Reason is, if there was not, then I would still be discussing it with the professor or been convinced or he would be..
It`s a paradox, you can`t shut it down. Thats the nature of a paradox.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Victor Belmont wrote:
So do you follow a prophet who is susceptible to sin? How you call them prophets I don't understand.
I don't follow human prophets. You do.
Well then explain to me why the quran mentions the earth was spherical?
Because the quran was written at a much later date, when everyone knew the earth was a sphere.

Kuwait, Kuwait

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
he wants to know the name of the paradox so he can find a good apologist site...
because that would be impossible to do...on the internet
I know...I know.....scary isn`t it?
The doctrine of `waqf` has done this to the Islamic world.
Dream on. I already told u that it did not matter to me because I have already encountered it before. What is the doctrine of waqf? is that an arabic word? and I wanted to know the name yes, to give u the perfect response that's all. If your not interested in other peoples ideas or views (sites) then why ask? Or are you just interested in knowing how much I know? I'm not here to prove to you that I'm knowledgeable or not I'm just here for discussing the matter of the existence of God.

Kuwait, Kuwait

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
this is a good cop bad cop routine, when this fool is done, I will think christianity is moral (by comparison)
How so? show me.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Victor Belmont wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. However, do u not believe in probablity? I believe u do...so, you should stick with the higher chances correct? Now the chances of the world being formed or universe by chance, especially this exact perfection!! absolutely precise rotation, and angel gravity,heat, life forms etc is as u should know ridiculously small that its really hard to believe. On the other hand, if all this has been created by God that would seem much of a higher chance sin God would is capable of everything. The chances of God created all this is higher I assure you, since I have asked this to not one but many professors at my college. Just for your information not all of them were theists too, but I could not discuss why they pick the lower chance, because they were not interested...SADLY
What do you mean by "believe in" probability?

What's so "exactly perfect" about our universe? Pick one of your examples and elaborate.

Your "on the other hand" is an employment of another logical fallacy... it's called “Argument from incredulity”.

Look it up.

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Victor Belmont wrote:
<quoted text>
Dream on. I already told u that it did not matter to me because I have already encountered it before. What is the doctrine of waqf? is that an arabic word? and I wanted to know the name yes, to give u the perfect response that's all. If your not interested in other peoples ideas or views (sites) then why ask? Or are you just interested in knowing how much I know? I'm not here to prove to you that I'm knowledgeable or not I'm just here for discussing the matter of the existence of God.
I don`t want the perfect response from a person who has been working on that response all his academic life, I want your response.

"Waqf" is certainly an arabic word, it relates to the subject of trusts for educational purposes and how the Wakifs who have held the money for arabic universities have prevented and stifled Islamic learning in the fields of philosophy and the natural sciences just in case the students become the Kufr.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Still haven't heard of any qualifications....
You never asked for any. You just said "Bullsh!t" and went all fundy on me.

Again... do you even remember what was being discussed?
Why? I can't force to you to believe in God.
You can't force me not to believe.
Isn't that the purpose?
Now you flip it back over to "God"?

I wasn't referring to that discussion. I was referring to that other discussion.

Once again...

Do you remember what it was about?

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by "believe in" probability?
What's so "exactly perfect" about our universe? Pick one of your examples and elaborate.
Your "on the other hand" is an employment of another logical fallacy... it's called “Argument from incredulity”.
Look it up.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fiMAJ8jeK0U/TSe5gZQ...

Kuwait, Kuwait

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Because the quran was written at a much later date, when everyone knew the earth was a sphere.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
-

Before the birth of Jesus, why did the people follow the prophets that are mentioned in the bible?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Because the quran was written at a much later date, when everyone knew the earth was a sphere.
Wrong!! not everyone knew, it was a simple opinion.In fact the majority disagreed and thought the earth is flat. Back then, philosophers claimed and tried to prove by mathematics. Yet it was said in the quran that the earth is spherical.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Maybe Mohammed went over to India and read the hindu scriptures that imply the earth is a sphere? Maybe, u never know! People did use to travel far far far away in the olden days too, u know!

Kuwait, Kuwait

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

llllllllllllllllllll wrote:
DWDRTAWTAWERYQYQEWY
How do you know my paypal password? ><

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

Boss of the Inland Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I`m going to rehearse this once and only once.
To be polite I`m going to begin with the priori "god exists".
This god who exists is omniscient, and omnipresent and omnibenevolent.
A perfectly good and benevolent being would by nature want to prevent all evils, loving all of his creations equally.
The omniscient being knows every way that evil can occur, from the birth of a dictator to the flash flood on a remote mountain which kills the fawn and the doe and all the other little critters.
A god who knows the origin of every evil and who can stop said evil and who wants to do so WOULD do so.
If an omnipresent, omniscient and omnibenevolent being exists then evil would not exist.
A man who makes an evil choice is condemned to hell, god knows the results of that mans life before it is lived, he is after all omniscient.
So either god allows evil people or people destined for hell to be born to simply stoke the flames of hell, because he already knows the outcome or evil does not exist.
Evil exists therefore god does not.
It is simple logic and I think if you refer to the premises I made first they are all borne out by scripture. You can`t have it both ways.
Point well taken Charrington.
So that then leads us to one of three possible explanations
1. God does not exist... or
2. He exist but Is not what he is supposed to be...or
3. He is all that he is supposed be but not every reason or fact is known to us to answer those questions.

We could use the free will theory, or just say that natural evil exists to give humans an opportunity to learn, grow and adapt.

I honestly can't say that I know why Charrington. Because if I had all the answers then I would be God. These enigmatic questions may simply be a
Tool for humanity to theorize, to search deep and ask about us to continue to allow humanity to grow.
Just saying.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

648 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
I Hate Satan [believers only} (Nov '08) 5 min Zazz 83
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 min Larry 599,095
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min Charlie Sheen 256,659
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min Michael 532,929
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 28 min krackerjacks 115,292
Nine Eleven 31 min passing by 18
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 36 min shyam 503
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr bad bob 172,474
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 17 hr kalei 79
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••