Prove there's a god.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#595671 Jan 29, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, i seen the old Simpsons episodes like 5 times, each one. I was so crazy about them!
did u see this one with the Indian dancing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =on04DhFTKyQXX
I hate the second film, it broke my heart!!:-(
I have the first three seasons of The Simpsons on DVD. I plan on getting more when I can find them on eBay for cheap.

I don't think I've seen that episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

You don't win friends with salad!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#595672 Jan 29, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you like to discuss?
Oh... I know!
Prove there's a god.
OK. Here we go, we're gonna start praying, ok?

Baby steps, Hukt, baby steps.

This may take 10 or 20 years of faithful devotion.

You down?

Since: May 11

Glasgow, UK

#595673 Jan 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>If there is no such thing as free will then a true, personal moral code also does not exist.
morals are a matter of culture, geography and the passage of time.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#595674 Jan 29, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Once it can be demonstrated as fact... it's considered as fact...
I know, I know. Like blood letting was demonstrated as fact. And the Milky Way being the universe was demonstrated as fact.....
Your god cannot be demonstrated as fact, and therefor should not be considered as fact and should not be taught as fact.
He can be demonstrated as fact. He has been demonstrated as fact. He is taught as fact.
"They" thought the Milky Way was the whole-ball-of-wax back then due to limitations in their observational capabilities.
There's the arrogance, I was waiting for it.

Do you honestly think that what science thought back then was limited? Doubt it, they thought it was cutting edge, just as we do now.

Wouldn't you suppose that 500 years from now, science will look back at 2013 and giggle at our "observational capabilities" and laugh at what we thought we knew?
The ones with open minds and genuine interest learn something new. The ones without those qualities don't.
Agreed. That's why we have scientologists & new earth Creationists.
Who cares about the archaic practice of bloodletting? Besides you?
Anyone that cares to notice how science changes it's "facts" & doctrines.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#595675 Jan 29, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I don`t need to use that line.
I simply used the logical premise that a god with the attributes afforded to him by the bible has the power to prevent evil.
He has the knowledge of all things which were, are and shall be; that`s predestination, bye bye free will.
He does not prevent all of the things which are allegedly attributable to mankinds free will.
How can the biblical description of such a god be accurate then?
If its prevented, how would we ever learn?

Why do we experience pain? Do you think God should've left that out? Without it, you'd burn your hand on the stove with no recourse, except of course losing your hand & bleeding to death...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#595676 Jan 29, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
You know if the lord, who is pure and divine, does everything, then there can't be evil and bad things. Everything is good then, even the evil, coz it done by the good lord! He can't make a mistake, everything is just perfect!
"The parallelism here shows that this is not to be understood in the sense of all evil, but of that which is the opposite of peace and prosperity. That is, God directs judgments, disappointments, trials, and calamities; he has power to suffer the mad passions of people to rage, and to afflict nations with war; he presides over adverse as well as prosperous events. The passage does not prove that God is the author of moral evil, or sin, and such a sentiment is abhorrent to the general strain of the Bible, and to all just views of the character of a holy God"

Barnes' Notes, a Bible commentary

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#595677 Jan 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>If there is no such thing as free will then a true, personal moral code also does not exist.
So if one has no free will then one can't be moral because one can't be responsible for our actions?
interesting....

Al raises an eybrow...

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#595678 Jan 29, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
I'm not to keen on foreign films but that movie was visually stunning. One of the few foreign films that i thought was visually stunning, colorful and had a great story line.
I probably caught it on HBO or Cinemax.

I've seen quite a few Japanese and Chinese films.

Glasgow, UK

#595679 Jan 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If its prevented, how would we ever learn?
Why do we experience pain? Do you think God should've left that out? Without it, you'd burn your hand on the stove with no recourse, except of course losing your hand & bleeding to death...
I don`t think there`s a god...

did you miss that? LOL

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#595680 Jan 29, 2013
Victor Belmont wrote:
Wrong!! not everyone knew, it was a simple opinion.In fact the majority disagreed and thought the earth is flat. Back then, philosophers claimed and tried to prove by mathematics. Yet it was said in the quran that the earth is spherical.
Oh ya, the Chinese didn't think the earth was a sphere until the mid 1700's.....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#595681 Jan 29, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the first three seasons of The Simpsons on DVD. I plan on getting more when I can find them on eBay for cheap.
I don't think I've seen that episode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aM6xVQwIOYQXX
You don't win friends with salad!
I ain't that sad!! I only got the chipmunks on DVD! LOL!

Don't bet against yourself on eBay!

@Victor....if u put the sword down and use your brain, u'll catch up real quick!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#595682 Jan 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that Jesus wasn't human or that he wasn't a prophet?
Jesus wasn't human.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#595683 Jan 29, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
You never asked for any. You just said "Bullsh!t" and went all fundy on me.
Again... do you even remember what was being discussed?
<quoted text>
Now you flip it back over to "God"?
I wasn't referring to that discussion. I was referring to that other discussion.
Once again...
Do you remember what it was about?
We've been discussing so many things....

Which specific topic are you talking about?

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#595684 Jan 29, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that we all know whether something is good or evil no matter what society tells us about the subject, otherwise you wouldn't have millions of women who suffer from guilt after getting "legal" abortions. Those post-abortion support groups aren't in place for no reason.

We've all done things that were perfectly legal yet produced shame in us. Those of us who aren't sociopaths feel regret anyway. Even small evils count against us in the grand scheme of things. Desensitizing ourselves and rationalizing/pardoning ourselves of evil only ensures our future extinction as a species.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#595685 Jan 29, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Oh sh*t, i forgot the nobody knows who wrote the koran. You got something in common with the Bible there.
It is known who wrote the Bible.

Glasgow, UK

#595686 Jan 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus wasn't human.
yes...he allegedly was.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#595687 Jan 29, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
religion helps critical thinking...
this is gonna be good..lol
how does it do that pray tell?
Critical thinking is reflective reasoning about beliefs and actions.

It is a way of deciding whether a claim is always true, sometimes true, partly true, or false.

Reflective reasoning is basically intellect, opposite of a "gut feeling".

Try this: don't google or cheat, use your brain. Answer:

A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

“Jon Snow”

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#595688 Jan 29, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#595689 Jan 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what the book was & why he wrote it?
Did you know he didn't call it a bible?
Did you know he called it "intensely personal and private"?
The real wonder, for you, should be why the Bible he had in the first place wasn't good enough for him. Why the need for a re-write?

Doesn't matter what he called it, or why.

Jefferson rejected the notion of miracles and supernatural claims.

Can one be a True Christian (TM) while rejecting the divinity of Jesus Christ?

According to Christians I've spoke to, all claiming to be True Christians (TM), online or in person, the answer is "NO... that is not possible."

The only way one can worship Jesus, and not violate the 1st commandment, is if Jesus IS God... which could explain why the idea of the Trinity was conceived and inserted as doctrine (as a loophole). Jefferson saw this and still done what he did... even though the Bible makes it clear that doing so is a huge no-no.

I realize that you want to claim Jefferson as one of your "peeps"... but, he rejected the Trinity.

He rejected the divinity of YOUR savior.

You cannot get around that.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#595690 Jan 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Critical thinking is reflective reasoning about beliefs and actions.
It is a way of deciding whether a claim is always true, sometimes true, partly true, or false.
Reflective reasoning is basically intellect, opposite of a "gut feeling".
Try this: don't google or cheat, use your brain. Answer:
A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
Ya gotta think about it, Mr. C.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Future of Politics in America 3 min It aint necessari... 199
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 39 min Al Capone 3,385
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 59 min MUQ2 88,046
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 284,528
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr X Pendable 184,716
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 665,278
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 45,817
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 1 hr Bongo 99
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 3 hr nanoanomaly 525
More from around the web