Pat

East Granby, CT

#593513 Jan 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's too hard for you, hey?
I understand.
Rather it just proves you are an egalitarian to the core, a natural selection/evolution denier.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#593514 Jan 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't keep up with the scientific literature. I do. You're a racist, so you cannot keep up with science. Unlike you, it's my job.
"Ongoing debates about the emergence of modern human behavior, however defined, regularly incorporate observations from the later part of the southern African Middle Stone Age and emphasize the early appearance of artifacts thought to reflect symbolic practice. Here we report a large sample of 270 fragments of intentionally marked ostrich eggshell from the Howiesons Poort at Diepkloof Rock Shelter, Western Cape, South Africa. Dating from &#8776;60,000 years ago, these pieces attest to an engraving tradition that is the earliest reliable evidence of what is a widespread modern practice. These abstract linear depictions were made on functional items (eggshell containers), which were curated and involved in daily hunter-gatherer life. The standardized production of repetitive patterns, including a hatched band motif, suggests a system of symbolic representation in which collective identities and individual expressions are clearly communicated, suggesting social, cultural, and cognitive underpinnings that overlap with those of modern people."
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/02/17/...
Also, the first detailed drawings of martial arts are from Africa, 7000 years ago, predating China.
So, abstract thinking - first in Africa. If there are genes associated with this behavior, they came to Europe and Asia because of gene flow from Africa.
I'm not the one who is lying here, racist Pat. I'm the only one, of the two of us, who understands evolution and biology. You are mocking it at every turn, to support your racism.
The modern world and the behavior of blacks worldwide conflicts with your cherished dogma.
You obviously can't look at this issue objectivley without your emotions getting the best of you. You are a natural selection denier with no evidence what so ever for racial equality.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#593515 Jan 25, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't sound like you understand the purpose of BMI charts, and yet you stated everything you need to know. Of course a floatation tank will be more accurate, but that has NOTHING to do with the purpose of a BMI. BMI's are a quick and easy way of estimating human body fat percentage based on statistical information. BMI is a medical way of estimating adiposity. It is not meant to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. It does however put you in the "ballpark". The BMI ranges are based on the relationship between body weight and disease and death. I guarantee you that if redneck was placed in a flotation tank that he would still be found to be overweight. His numbers were not border line and turning a blind eye to the statistical data only increases his chances of getting Hypertension, Dyslipidemia, Type 2 diabetes, Coronary heart disease, Stroke, Gallbladder disease, Osteoarthritis, Sleep apnea and respiratory problems, and several forms of cancer.
Since BMI factors in ONLY height and weight, it is no more accurate than simple height/weight charts.(I really don't understand why they waste all that math, when it is just converting height/weight into a single number.)

I don't even understand how it can be an estimate of body fat, since it uses no other factors than height and weight. I would have more faith in it if it included things like waist size, chest size, hips, thighs, etc.

BMI charts are a quick, overly simplistic way to assess somebody's health risks due to percentage of body fat.

Since: May 11

Glasgow, UK

#593516 Jan 25, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
the meaning of true Christianity:
Jesus paid a debt on the cross that we could never pay for in a zillion years.
since i appreciate this free gift, how can you ever accuse me of not being a Christian???
Imagine you were told that half the children of the world(including your own) would be taken into the deep dark cellar and tortured unspeakably for all eternity?

If you gave your life you could prevent it. Would you hesitate for a second? I know I wouldn`t. Then you`re told that billions of people will hero-worship you for centuries because of it.

That would certainly take the edge off.

Now you`re told that your death will only be temporary and that it is a certainty that you will rise again, live forever and be worshipped and all the kids will be ok.

"Ok then, pencil me in for a 10 a.m.`death` please, is there a dress code"?

Please tell me how this "sacrificial lamb" sacrificed anything? It`s not looking too traumatic from here.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#593517 Jan 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Would you do us the favor and read more about history? You're as much a science and history denier as any good creationist. Well done...I guess.
You know what? Even something as simple as "Guns, Germs and Steel" would help you understand the world better.
The kind of gross ignorance you display is disheartening.
I've been waiting for you to bring up the egalitarian bible, "Guns, Germs and Steel". That has so many flaws in it I wouldn't know where to begin.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#593518 Jan 25, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather it just proves you are an egalitarian to the core, a natural selection/evolution denier.
Of the two of us, I understand evolution. You don't. You probably don't know the basics of natural selection. You probably don't know non-natural selection forces of evolution.

You certainly don't seem to understand what gene flow is, how it works, or what it means.

You don't seem to have a working handle on what a species is. You also fail to recognize that evolution doesn't support typologies.

Your understanding of evolution is about as good as Tylor's or Herbert Spencer's, which is to say, hopeless.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#593519 Jan 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Other than losing my hearing, I'm in perfect health.
I SERIOUSLY doubt it. When was the last time you had a FULL blood work up? If I were there I'd bet you that your ALT (SGPT) and cholesterol were both way off. That of course is all separate from whatever damage your smoking is doing.

Yeah, you're the picture of health, LOL....

On the bright side it will be one less ignorant gun freak in the world. Enjoy.

Glasgow, UK

#593520 Jan 25, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Social Darwinism? Why am I not surprised. LOL

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#593521 Jan 25, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll probably regret my upcoming question, but I assure you, my intention is to find a definitive answer, not to inflame more people on an already hot topic. Your expertise in anthropology makes you the ideal person to ask, so I'm hoping you'll indulge me. My question is why are the poorest countries in the world predominately black, and why is there very little progress being made to reverse this situation? What is impeding economic growth in these regions? Do you see any hope of reversing this long-standing problem in the near future? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
It's like it's stuck in their heads. Think that a minority of blacks keep racism alive & don't even know they're doing it.

Here's an interesting article. This is a black man with a PhD talking about the "white supremacy attitude" & "blacks go to jail because they can't afford an attorney".......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/dr-bo...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593522 Jan 25, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Since BMI factors in ONLY height and weight, it is no more accurate than simple height/weight charts.(I really don't understand why they waste all that math, when it is just converting height/weight into a single number.)
I don't even understand how it can be an estimate of body fat, since it uses no other factors than height and weight. I would have more faith in it if it included things like waist size, chest size, hips, thighs, etc.
BMI charts are a quick, overly simplistic way to assess somebody's health risks due to percentage of body fat.
Yep. I had a buddy that was 5 foot 4 and 165 pounds. He was not fat at all. He worked out every single day, it was built like a big ass pitbull. Big chest, big arms, sixpack, etc.

But according to a BMI chart he is borderline obese. Those charts are completely inaccurate.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#593523 Jan 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery, genocide, disease, economic war, destruction of resources, purposeful implementation of debt and on and on, the undermining of any potential successful strategy of self governance (not just in Africa).
Slavery goes on to this day - your chocolate is made by slaves.
All other things being equal, those with more money and technology can and will suppress those without.
I'm sorry that's beyond you. Even the Quakers knew this simple fact. You are as hopeless as a creationist.
Blacks sold blacks into slavery so strike that off your list. Whites also ended slavery on their own yet where can it still be found, in Africa. Genocide? Ever hear of Rwanda or the Congo? Two recent examples of black on black genocide that continues to this very day in the Congo.

The simple fact that the best place on planet earth for a black to live is in a white majority nation destroys your blame the white man theory. Blacks in black majority nations have a lifespan usually decades less than when they live amongst whites. Their poverty level increases greatly in black majority nations. Even in the USA, in areas where blacks are the majority, their quality of life declines with whites absent. In short, when you take white people out of the equation blacks suffer for it. Why? Because they lack the ability to create the same quality of life societies as whites.

"All other things being equal, those with more money and technology can and will suppress those without."

If that was true we would have exported all the blacks after the civil war. Whites are the only race that has willingly opened up their societies to other races. In addition, we even have racist laws that give unearned advantage based on race to blacks as an attempt to try and force equality and this have not even worked.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593524 Jan 25, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>I SERIOUSLY doubt it. When was the last time you had a FULL blood work up? If I were there I'd bet you that your ALT (SGPT) and cholesterol were both way off. That of course is all separate from whatever damage your smoking is doing.
Yeah, you're the picture of health, LOL....
On the bright side it will be one less ignorant gun freak in the world. Enjoy.
I had a blood work up a few months ago, I'm fine. Good cholesterol levels, good BP, good weight, great vision, losing hearing. It's genetic, my mom & her mom also lost hearing.

Of course the doc told me to quit smoking as it will most likely have a negative effect in my health. I'm thinking of trying Chantix, but I doubt know. I hate prescription meds.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#593525 Jan 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Spin, spin, spin.
You have a predetermined racist belief system - we should really call it "pre-ordained."
Anything, you just make up stories to fit it into your racist world. No evidence needed.
Don't project your dogmatic belief system onto me. I side with the evidence, you attemt to excuse away all the evidence that conflicts with your dogma. You offer no evidence of racial equality. If black intelligence is hidden by bias and just waiting to be discovered then discover it for us smarty pants.

Location hidden

#593526 Jan 25, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Since BMI factors in ONLY height and weight, it is no more accurate than simple height/weight charts.
And yet it is statistically accurate at predicting many major degenerative diseases that I listed. Weird.
I don't even understand how it can be an estimate of body fat
Again, that's not its sole purpose. It is a tool for risk assessment. There are other ways to estimate of body fat.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#593527 Jan 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Pat a she?
Given that she's a racist, one would imagine that she also believes women are less than men. She seems to buy into any overlysimplistic, nonscientific corruption of evolutionary theory, so sexism would follow, too.
Emotional froth from a frustrated egalitarian.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593528 Jan 25, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet it is statistically accurate at predicting many major degenerative diseases that I listed. Weird.
<quoted text>
Again, that's not its sole purpose. It is a tool for risk assessment. There are other ways to estimate of body fat.
A slap on the ass usually works.

Glasgow, UK

#593529 Jan 25, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Emotional froth from a frustrated egalitarian.
That would make you what?...a fatalist? LOL

I thought you were a atheist but you obviously believe in predestination. You`re all over the place.

Location hidden

#593530 Jan 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Of course the doc told me to quit smoking as it will most likely have a negative effect in my health. I'm thinking of trying Chantix, but I doubt know. I hate prescription meds.
The only way that I was able to quit smoking was to wait until I caught a cold, and then smoking was like trying to inhale chalk. It showed me how truly disgusting smoking was. But the nicotine addiction doesn't fight back until around 3 weeks after you try to quit, so unless you have a way to gradually deplete the nicotine (and other addictive chemicals) added to each cigarette, you will fail at trying to quit. My next door neighbor died from cancer. He eventually had to be hooked up to a oxygen mask and even that wasn't enough reason for him to quit. The cancer however helped him quit permanently.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#593531 Jan 25, 2013
Anon wrote:
I'll probably regret my upcoming question, but I assure you, my intention is to find a definitive answer, not to inflame more people on an already hot topic. Your expertise in anthropology makes you the ideal person to ask, so I'm hoping you'll indulge me. My question is why are the poorest countries in the world predominately black, and why is there very little progress being made to reverse this situation? What is impeding economic growth in these regions? Do you see any hope of reversing this long-standing problem in the near future? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
In 4000 characters or less? hahaha!

Those are complex questions involving history, politics and economics. You really have to begin with the distribution of resources and work your way up from there. Europe had an amazing abundance of concentrated natural resources that allowed them to pull ahead. But we can't forget China - bad leadership chose a policy of isolation; they destroyed their naval technology and didn't follow up on the invention of gunpowder.

So Europe pulls ahead. Heavily populated with animals and people w/severe epidemics. B/c of competition between gov'ts, its technology constantly increases and they expand.

Recall that Polynesians already expanded and occupied the entire Pacific ocean and had better navigation skills, a more interdependent economy, but virtually no metal resources and no disease.

Recall that Australians colonized Az 40-60000 years ago. The first agriculture began 40000 years ago in Papua New Guinea, but they didn't have grain crops, no large mammals, no metal, so they couldn't advance. PNG was, however, populated to its fullest extent and to this day houses 10% of the world's languages.

Other parts of the world developed amazing technologies to support max carrying capacity populations - Bali, Polynesian and Micronesian islands, PNG, central America and parts of North America. Africa, prior to the expansion had complex, interconnected societies and pre-state societies.

The problem with Sub Saharan Africa (SSA) are the many deadly diseases caused by parasites that cannot be overcome short of mutation, lack of easily accessible resources and massively diverse environment. Europe, by contrast, has long latitudes of arable land - and this was turned into massive farmland that fed empires. Africa simply could not and cannot do that; it doesn't have the same environment (just look on a map; you'll clearly see the difference in arable land).

Quick answer: geography. After that, politics and economics. Once Europe expanded, it brought diseases that no other humans had evolved with. The common cold, influenza, measles and more wiped out 95% of North American Natives. Entire cultures went extinct - we have no more native Cubans or any Carribean islanders, Tazmanians, many North American Natives, and on and on. Parts of Africa and the Amazon are the only places Europeans couldn't get into b/c of harsh disease and unfriendly environments for European based agriculture.

European powers, with their advanced technologies, set up colonies all over the world. They tried to turn the natives into slaves but where that couldn't happen (the natives died or rebelled), they wiped out the indigenous population and brought in African slaves. They further set up a debt system that exists to this day - Haiti "owes" America and France, etc., lots of debt. African nations "owe" lots of debt to developed nations - this is called "the development of underdevelopment." Basically, economic systems favor those in power, much like major banks today make money even in recessions on the backs of everyone else.

All other things being equal, the guy with the better technology is going to win. All other things being equal, the guy with the better capital is going to win. The guy with the most endemic disease and disease immunity is going to win. Race has nothing to do w/it, doesn't exist, isn't explanatory.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#593532 Jan 25, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Very sad indeed. The myopia of so many along with not appreciating the big picture or caring about the consequences to the planet for future generations is quite disheartening.
Just as disheartening is our unwillingness to respect and share the planet with all that was here before us- extinction caused by humans is not only alarming, it's disgusting.
In a nutshell, I would say we humans are far from the nicest species on the planet.
There are those who insist, for whatever reason(s), that humans are separate from and superior to all other animals. They get offended when humans are compared to other animals. The phrasing alone, "other animals", is enough to anger some.

In my experience...

If one starts talking animal welfare... or the consequences of out-of-control human population and our desire to conquer and tame every corner of the globe...

All of a sudden, their tune changes to something akin to this...

"Show me an animal that wouldn't do the same if it could."

...or...

"Show me an animal that would intentionally govern its own species' population."

Well, guess what?...

Those are comparisons... one animal to another.

Show me an animal with the ability to comprehend the issues and do something about them.

I can think of one.

---

In case you hadn't noticed, I sent you a PM.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 54 min Seentheotherside 687,387
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 hr Worth Repeating 31,361
Florida Residents Warned They'll Be Ticketed Fo... 2 hr Black Flag 4
skype usernames for dirty skyping;) and usernam... (Aug '14) 2 hr Will lowe 10
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Seentheotherside 6,491
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Lol U suck big D 286,597
Does a cell Phone still ring if a battery has g... (Oct '07) 5 hr Unicorn2331 35
More from around the web