Prove there's a god.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#592782 Jan 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I never got that from either French people or Japanese, however every English cept a few are arrogant as hell, and have that superiority complex. Though I have met a few English girls that were really sweet.
I really like German women they sound so damn sexy!:)
But all the French I ever met were really nice people and so were the Japanese, and they say if you visit Japan, you don't want to leave.
Japan is probably the best place I've ever been, as a tourist. To live there is a different story. First their culture is very sexist (though that is slowly changing). Secondly, if you are not Japanese it is very difficult to integrate into society. Third, there is alot of pressure to conform; there is a Japanese proverb which says "the nail which sticks up gets hammered down". Fourth, it's culturally very dissimilar, and often frustrating, to a Westerner. They focus a great deal on manners, which is great on the surface, but in practice it means you often don't really know what is going on in a given situation. One is also judged by their manners, which can become insanely subtle and obtuse. And then there is the crazy work ethic, which means you work all the time, for most of your life, with very little time for yourself. This is why "salarymen" go out and get trashed with their friends and sleep in capsule hotels in train stations.

But as a tourist, or to live there part-time, it's fantastic. You've never been anyplace cleaner. There is almost no crime. Mass transit is clean, efficient, and pleasant. In fact just about everything is. And parts of it are quite beautiful and soulful. It's also not as expensive as most seem to assume. It's no more expensive to visit, even Tokyo, than a major US city. And the food there can be super healthy. And of course Japan is the source of all cuteness. Cute cartoon characters pervade the culture. I once had a Japanese friend explain that there is a pervasive infantilism in Japan because people don't really get much of a childhood, and so they yearn for one as adults. That was kinda sad to hear. But it is what makes things like Maid Cafes possible, and those are FUN!

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#592783 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see it as derogatory. Farmers and coal miners are hard workers. The people who called them rednecks as an insult didn't turn their nose up at using the products that their hard labor provided and should have been ashamed of talking that way about them. They were hypocrites for doing so. I'd rather be friends with the "salt of the Earth" than with arrogant elitists and their misplaced pride.
And you like how those rednecks down your way play rough, eh?

Give it to you hard, whether you want it or not?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#592784 Jan 23, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Of course I heard of it- if you read RR's post, he specifically said he wasn't referring to Mardi Gras so that is why I didn't mention it in my response to him.
Point is, RR claimed that no one who is naked at a gay parade gets arrested. He made the claim, but provided nothing in the way of backing up that claim.
Probably mostly in the states , naked= getting arrested, except at those nudist places like what Catcher was talking about.

San Francisco

#592785 Jan 23, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
"And please explain the correlation between melanin and behavior."
There is none. The correlation is between lower levels of moral sense and evolving in a temperate climate, the same climate that happened to create dark skin and the same climate that did not select as strongly for moral traits (rules of group cooperation) that a cold harsh climate with long winters did. Group cooperation is much more essential to survival in a cold climate compared to that in a temperate climate.
"No one judges others because of skin color but because of what is carried in the information. We are not frightened of a very well dressed, extremely tan Italian coming down the street. What we are frightened of is what we recognize as a male that is African American and from experience belongs to a group that based on available data is by nature violent. Human nature includes trying to protect oneself and using all available information to improve the odds of survival. We all instinctively feel safer in a brand new car than one that is all beat up and rusting out. We base these odds on available evidence, that it is more likely that an old car will fail than a new one. And it is more likely that someone of African descent, because of evolution, is more prone to violence than say an Asian, even though we do not know either individual personally. As humans, we process all information available to improve our odds against a hostile environment."
Michael Levin, philosophy professor at City University of New York
All that tells me is that Michael Levin is freaked out about black men. Otherwise, there was no rationale there. "We instinctively feel..." LOL! Give me a break. Who is "we"? This guy doesn't speak for me. "And it is more likely that someone of African descent, because of evolution, is more prone to violence" - what complete BS. Likely how? Because Mike says so?

Pat, apply the same critical thinking skills you apply to religion toward this racist idea you hold, and you'll see it doesn't hold up.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#592786 Jan 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> My sister was born there, but I have never been.
It's truly a wonderful experience and it was very cool crossing the International Dateline!

But what a LOOOONG flight!

I flew from NY to San Francisco and spent a few days there.

Then from SF to Hawaii for a lay over for a couple of hours.

Then from Hawaii to Tokyo.

All tolled, it was a good 18 or so hours of total travel time. Exhausting, but the flight from Hawaii to Tokyo was on Japan Airlines, and they kept the food, treats and snacks coming!

Not to mention the booze.....lol!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#592787 Jan 23, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know where you are coming from. On forms, when asked, I answer "Canadian" and if it is not there, I write it in.
How do I answer for my ethnicity, by percentages? It is not clear to me what the correct answers would be, and I do have my ancestry back at least 5 generations on "all 4 of my grandparents". I live in Canada, Most of my ancestors were born here, at what point do I become a Canadian, how many generations does it take, and when asked my ethnicity how small a percentage is significant?
If a form asks you your race, you write in Canadian?

Maybe it's different in Canada than in the states; forms like that here typically only ask what one's race is and not what their nationality or ethnicity is.
God

Charlotte, NC

#592788 Jan 23, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be, my dachshund is god and for $5 I'll sell you a stool sample from God to prove it!
it's okay Pat, i can smell you from here.God smells more like orchids.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#592789 Jan 23, 2013
AntiFreakMachine wrote:
<quoted text>
"The constitutions of these seven US states ban atheists from holding public office:
Arkansas:
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."
Maryland:
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.”
Mississippi:
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[81]
North Carolina:
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."
South Carolina:
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."
Tennessee:
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."
Texas:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."
An eighth state constitution discriminates against atheists by affording special protection to theists only.
Pennsylvania:
"No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_a...
Just an example.
Your buddies claim that wiki isn't a reliable source when it comes to accuracy....oh, well, except when it backs them up.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#592790 Jan 23, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
All that tells me is that Michael Levin is freaked out about black men. Otherwise, there was no rationale there. "We instinctively feel..." LOL! Give me a break. Who is "we"? This guy doesn't speak for me. "And it is more likely that someone of African descent, because of evolution, is more prone to violence" - what complete BS. Likely how? Because Mike says so?
Pat, apply the same critical thinking skills you apply to religion toward this racist idea you hold, and you'll see it doesn't hold up.
I would say that if a group is more prone to violence than another group, that would be due to environmental reasons and not at all due to evolutionary reasons.

And frankly, I would be no more frightened of someone who was black and looked like a thug to me than I would be of someone who was white and looked like a thug to me.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#592791 Jan 23, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess this means it's acceptable for a cab driver to pass by a black man hailing a cab- at least according to this "professor".....

Location hidden

#592792 Jan 23, 2013
OCB wrote:
Awww......NANO thinks I am mean.....golly gee- whatEVER will I do?
Laugh my ASS of at NANO, that's what!
I only use the peanut judgit on you.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#592793 Jan 23, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Japan is probably the best place I've ever been, as a tourist. To live there is a different story. First their culture is very sexist (though that is slowly changing). Secondly, if you are not Japanese it is very difficult to integrate into society. Third, there is alot of pressure to conform; there is a Japanese proverb which says "the nail which sticks up gets hammered down". Fourth, it's culturally very dissimilar, and often frustrating, to a Westerner. They focus a great deal on manners, which is great on the surface, but in practice it means you often don't really know what is going on in a given situation. One is also judged by their manners, which can become insanely subtle and obtuse. And then there is the crazy work ethic, which means you work all the time, for most of your life, with very little time for yourself. This is why "salarymen" go out and get trashed with their friends and sleep in capsule hotels in train stations.
But as a tourist, or to live there part-time, it's fantastic. You've never been anyplace cleaner. There is almost no crime. Mass transit is clean, efficient, and pleasant. In fact just about everything is. And parts of it are quite beautiful and soulful. It's also not as expensive as most seem to assume. It's no more expensive to visit, even Tokyo, than a major US city. And the food there can be super healthy. And of course Japan is the source of all cuteness. Cute cartoon characters pervade the culture. I once had a Japanese friend explain that there is a pervasive infantilism in Japan because people don't really get much of a childhood, and so they yearn for one as adults. That was kinda sad to hear. But it is what makes things like Maid Cafes possible, and those are FUN!
Kinda like Tom Cruise trying to fit in with the Samurai huh ? lol

Location hidden

#592794 Jan 23, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your problem Nano: you speak with authority when you actually have no clue.
only repeated what you claimed you did on a trip with your partner.

San Francisco

#592795 Jan 23, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I would say that if a group is more prone to violence than another group, that would be due to environmental reasons and not at all due to evolutionary reasons.
If someone claims it's due to evolution, then let them show objective causal evidence for that. Otherwise, it's just prejudice.
And frankly, I would be no more frightened of someone who was black and looked like a thug to me than I would be of someone who was white and looked like a thug to me.
Exactly.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#592796 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I only use the peanut judgit on you.
If you say so.....not sure I believe you for it's only when you're around that pretty much every single post of mine is judged as "mean" and regardless of its content.

Whatever- it really doesn't matter to me....and all the more because I love peanuts!

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#592797 Jan 23, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>If a form asks you your race, you write in Canadian?
Maybe it's different in Canada than in the states; forms like that here typically only ask what one's race is and not what their nationality or ethnicity is.
I was referring to questions of ethnicity

Location hidden

#592798 Jan 23, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Just jealous of plenty of others, huh?
Understandable.
There you go, assuming again.

San Francisco

#592799 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Your buddies claim that wiki isn't a reliable source when it comes to accuracy....oh, well, except when it backs them up.
It depends. Everything in Wikipedia is supposed to be cited. So the issue is not the Wikipedia article, but the veracity of the citations.

San Francisco

#592800 Jan 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Kinda like Tom Cruise trying to fit in with the Samurai huh ? lol
Or anywhere else for that matter!

:)

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#592801 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Your buddies claim that wiki isn't a reliable source when it comes to accuracy....oh, well, except when it backs them up.
Here's another source for you:

http://kidswithoutgod.com/teens/learn/unelect...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Joe Fortuna 47,744
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 28 min Classic 3,674
how long after taking the Vivitrol shot can i f... (Nov '12) 52 min Baby-j2cra 164
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 55 min 2all 646,307
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,004
Ladies, what is the sexual act you most enjoy? 1 hr Mustang GT Girl 4
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr X Pendable 182,614
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 hr oneear69 38,711
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr Ficken Facts 105,566
More from around the web