Pat

Granby, CT

#586087 Jan 11, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I though we had settled this, you never got back to me anyway so O thought you has accepted my statement but perhaps you just ignored the facts that a gun is manufactured as a weapon, a car is manufactured as a mode of transport.
Do you see the difference?
I'm curious as to what this distinction you make points out. Are you claiming a weapon has no merit or valid purpose? Are you claiming a car can not be used as a weapon?
Pat

Granby, CT

#586088 Jan 11, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahah!
If the universe is the god, we(earth) must be his azzhole!
Earth would be the azz, Detroit the hole...

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#586089 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Ok...uhm...given my location, please start the hot tub in 18 hours. And provide whiskey and cigars. Plus espresso. I'll be tired.
If you don't make it in time, don't worry. I've got an unbirthday tomorrow.

So long as River, HL, Clementia, and you are all in the tub at the same time, it doesn't matter what day it is.

I'll go fill the hot tub with whiskey now.

I can't wait!

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#586090 Jan 11, 2013
It's all about faith...I have faith in my God and I believe HE exists :)
endtime

AOL

#586091 Jan 11, 2013

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST_______

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#586092 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gw8rrsxNxLgXX
(ignore the ugly guys)
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
(pay particular attention to not quite the chorus)
(speak Japanese)
Nose bleed!!!

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#586093 Jan 11, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious as to what this distinction you make points out. Are you claiming a weapon has no merit or valid purpose? Are you claiming a car can not be used as a weapon?
No, I am saying that a weapon is specifically manufactured as a weapon. With the sole intention of causing injury

Unlike a car, a gun is not manufactured to transport people from point A to point B as efficiently and as comfortably as possible

Consider standing on a busy street and hailing a gun (oops taxi) or hopping in your gun to gun to the mall.

I am not saying that guns do not have a purpose but I am saying that comparing them to a car is not valid logic

Or perhaps we should go down the route of comparing coconuts to sharks, after all more people die of being brained by falling coconuts than are killed by sharks.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#586094 Jan 11, 2013
God Himself wrote:
I am certain that the video contained more information than that.
I agree. So what? I had seen enough. The first argument was badly flawed. I lost confidence in the source and stopped looking further.

Were you expecting me to watch it all? If you feel so strongly about the strength of the video's arguments, why don't you summarize them instead.
God Himself wrote:
As a matter of fact, at the point 6:10, there is mention of a "Big-bang" etc etc.
You haven't seen the video either, have you? That is the same argument six minutes later. I told you that the opening word of the video were, "In the beginning ..." immediately followed by this, "The bible is unique among the documents of ancient history, positing an absolute beginning. The bible boldly asserts that time is finite."

Fennario

#586095 Jan 11, 2013
God Himself wrote:
So here I presented you with a video that uses scientific finding to support claims of the existence of God and you post some UTTER BULLSHIT that is totally superfluous to the discussion.
The scientific finding was used is that the universe and time had a beginning. This was offered as evidence that the authors(s) of the Genesis creation were prescient. The claim was made that other traditions claimed that there infinite time into the past, and no first moment.
God Himself wrote:
Why are you mentioning "creation myths", "Greeks, Romans, Buddhists"??? WTF?!
They were part of your resource's argument. Your resource was implying that your bible demonstrated special knowledge as part of an argument that it was the word of the true god. Did you even look at the video?

Hundreds of competing creation myths with first moments put the claim of Christian exceptionalism to the lie.
God Himself wrote:
OUT OF ALL THAT WAS ON THAT VIDEO CLIP, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT THE ONLY THINGS YOU COULD IDENTIFY ARE THE THAT HAVE NO RELEVANCE TO THE ISSUE BEING DISCUSSED?!!!!
No. I'm telling you that the video wasn't good enough to watch further.
Pat

Granby, CT

#586096 Jan 11, 2013
jamesfraser wrote:
It's all about faith...I have faith in my God and I believe HE exists :)
To bad it's faith though, for that proves your beliefs are without merit.
Pat

Granby, CT

#586097 Jan 11, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am saying that a weapon is specifically manufactured as a weapon. With the sole intention of causing injury
Unlike a car, a gun is not manufactured to transport people from point A to point B as efficiently and as comfortably as possible
Consider standing on a busy street and hailing a gun (oops taxi) or hopping in your gun to gun to the mall.
I am not saying that guns do not have a purpose but I am saying that comparing them to a car is not valid logic
Or perhaps we should go down the route of comparing coconuts to sharks, after all more people die of being brained by falling coconuts than are killed by sharks.
I'm sorry but I still don't get your point. Do you really think anybody on here does not understand that a gun is intended to be used as a weapon and a car as a mode of transportation?

"I am not saying that guns do not have a purpose but I am saying that comparing them to a car is not valid logic"

That would depend on the purpose of the comparison, no? If one is arguing that a car can just as easily be used as a weapon to injure, then that is a very logical comparison. If one is claiming a gun is as good as a car for transportation then it would be illogical, comprende?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#586098 Jan 11, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
The value of love and kindness depends on the nature of the world.
In a Godless world as those people would have it, there is no true purpose; especially since the universe is destined to come to nothingness.
So love and kindness has no real meaning for those people; they use love and kindness in a manner that is known as "Emotivism".
So dont be offended when I speak to them harshly, they arent offended.
You don't understand.

I find YOU to be offensive.

Downright nasty.

Fennario

#586099 Jan 11, 2013
God Himself wrote:
So let me get this straight; logic is not sufficient to prove the existence of a thing, but but yet logic is sufficient to rule out the existence of a thing?
Logic can prove mathematical truths, and with evidence, physical truths.

Logic can also rule out some claims.
God Himself wrote:
The possessor of that logic is doomed to suffer because survival favours the positive, not those that rule things out; because it is possibility that things are and will be, that supports survival.
Nope.

You're referring to a primitive survival strategy. If you assign agency to an unfamiliar sensation or other phenomenon, you will survive longer than if you don't. Hearing a leaf crunch causes one animal to run, but not the other, and the runner lives whenever that sound was caused by a potential predator.

But we can do better than that, can't we?

Fennario

#586100 Jan 11, 2013
God Himself wrote:
So not only have you decided not to reproduce, you have subject yourself to a negative method of thought?
I have two adult daughters.

And critical thought is not negative thought.
God Himself wrote:
So where is the experiment that is used to test for God.
Your god? Topix is an adequate lab for that. Your bible promises that belief in your god will give you a peace that passeth all understanding and fruits of the spirit including love, joy, peace, and forbearance. That's the hypothesis. Let us collect data and analyze it.

[1] Forum carlsbad worte: "He probably hates you as much as I do."
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

[2] Just Results wrote: "when your carcass is thrown into Hell. I get to watch. I get to laugh. I'm willing to wait."
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

[3] KJV wrote: "You see we just want to make sure that while you're not in heaven but in the other place we want you to relive all of these moments that put you there. To haunt you for all eternity while flames burn the flesh off of your bones."
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

These data disconfirm the biblical promise that belief in the Christian god will produce peace that passeth all understanding. The hypothesis is "busted."

Fennario

#586101 Jan 11, 2013
God Himself wrote:
But you assume that you are able to know what the state of perfection entails, and you dont.
I know imperfection when I see it. Building a torture chamber, manning it with an infinitely monstrous inquisitor, and forcing souls to remain conscious to feel themselves falling into fire from which they can never escape for the sin of not believing in an invisible and AWOL god is a tad short of any clear thinking person's definition of perfect justice, perfect love, or perfect mercy.

You can't make me believe otherwise.
God Himself wrote:
What would a perfect rock be like?
Perfect for what? Throwing? It shouldn't be too big. Killing? It should be bigger than a throwing rock.
God Himself wrote:
Do you know that the world is no perfect by God's standard of perfection?
That's another argument against a perfect god existing. Perfect gods don't create imperfect things.
God Himself wrote:
And while God is in himself perfect; what need would He have to seek perfection or establish it anywhere else outside Himself?
Apparently he needs to be praised, and can't abide sinners in heaven.
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#586102 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are claiming that the universe came out of nowhere, but that you'd like to believe your imagined deity was behind it all?
I am saying that the fact that the universe came out of nowhere, makes the idea of a "Intelligent Agent" that made all out of nothing, plausible
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Why go to such lengths? Why bother with imagining a deity and then pretending that a universe requires a deity to exist?
What?

"Pretending that the universe requires..?"

So how exactly do you know that the universe does not require a God to exist?

How many universes have you created in a lab without God?

And if you did manage to create any universes without a God; wouldnt you be the God of that universe?
Hidingfromyou wrote:
If you've just demonstrated that something can come from nothing...then you can give up your silly deity ideas.
;)
And that will make you happy.
But to say that "something came from nothing" is not the same as saying "nothing caused something to happen"; so the idea of deity remains relevant to the discussion.

I have not demonstrated that something can come from nothing; have I? Show me how/where.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#586103 Jan 11, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand.
I find YOU to be offensive.
Downright nasty.
Catcher, my good man, he is a poohhead. Perhaps even a poohface. You never can tell with these ones.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#586104 Jan 11, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry but I still don't get your point. Do you really think anybody on here does not understand that a gun is intended to be used as a weapon and a car as a mode of transportation?
"I am not saying that guns do not have a purpose but I am saying that comparing them to a car is not valid logic"
That would depend on the purpose of the comparison, no? If one is arguing that a car can just as easily be used as a weapon to injure, then that is a very logical comparison. If one is claiming a gun is as good as a car for transportation then it would be illogical, comprende?
RR (and others) compare the two. How they are used is a completely different argument to the purpose for which they were manufactured.

I am saying that a gun is MANUFACTURED specifically as a weapon

A car is MANUFACTURED specifically as a mode of transport

Do you comprehend the destination? WEAPON TRANSPORT, they are even spelled differently to make it easy look we can all be sarcastic.

Comparing a gun to a car is like comparing a coconut to a shark. The very idea of such comparisons is illogical

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#586105 Jan 11, 2013
I must admit, I edited this post in a way that you would not approve.

I hope, in my failure, that you will at least find it funny.

:)
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
God can prove mathematical truths, and with evidence, physical truths.
God can also rule out some claims.
[So...God exists?]
Nope.
God is referring to a primitive survival strategy. If God assigns agency to an unfamiliar sensation or other phenomenon, you will survive longer than if you don't. Hearing a God crunch causes one animal to run, but not the other, and the runnier lives whenever that God was caused by a potential predator.
But we can do better than that, can't we?
(Please note, for those of you not familiar with IANS, he knows that the Christian "God" does not exist, so he would never make the above argument. Hence the humor. Thank you for your indulgence. 1000$ please).

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#586106 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher, my good man, he is a poohhead. Perhaps even a poohface. You never can tell with these ones.
You have been hiding, way too much.

And where did you put my darling Clementine?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Word + 2 2 min andet1987 693
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 6 min yon 3,072
Sexual Orientation is NOT a Choice 8 min andet1987 70
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 11 min Innocent Holy dr ... 601,019
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min KiMare 227,416
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 14 min andet1987 5,363
Word association game (Aug '08) 15 min Bev Jamison 53,299
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min Anthony MN 542,131
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr JudgeNJury 259,231
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr Ratloder 118,223
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 9 hr Chlo-chan 149
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••