“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#585583 Jan 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> It's ok if Uncle Sam tells you to.
Check this out..
#167 Gun control advocates are violent psychos
f_c_ off

United States

#585584 Jan 10, 2013
christianity and jewism both are fake

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#585585 Jan 10, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
Government already does all of those things.
Yes. I believe that RiversideRedneck was asking them to stop when he wrote, "smoking is a CHOICE that the f_cking government should stay out of."
Freebird USA wrote:
Here is my issue.In NY a name brand pack of cigs were $13 at a covenience store/gas station last time I was there. At least half of that was taxes. I would like to see government CONFIRM that $6.50 per pack is being used for education and health related issues. My belief is the tax is just another revenue stream for a government addicted to cash.
Do you really mean that? Would you be content if you knew that the taxes went directly and exclusively to defraying smoking related expenses?

Are cigarettes really that expensive now?

Every time I return to the States, I experience sticker shock. I took my mother out to lunch - sixty bucks. And I took her and her friend to Red Lobster -$130.
Freebird USA wrote:
And if everyone quit smoking tomorrow they would announce a "fiscal crisis".
Maybe, but only for a few years. In twenty years, we would reap the windfall of less chronic disease.
Amish

El Dorado Springs, MO

#585586 Jan 10, 2013
f_c_ off

United States

#585587 Jan 10, 2013
matthew 20:63 give me 5 minute i will convert it to 9 month this radiculas stament in bible prove how pathetic it is
Pat

Granby, CT

#585588 Jan 10, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>So- have you started your campaign yet by getting petitions out to have forms which ask for race to include that of "Jewish" as one of the options for people to check as their race?
Get busy, Pat!
Why? I thought you told me like ten times that you were done with this subject yet you bring it up when responding to a pst that didn't even deal with it. Is that what you think, because forms don't define race that specifically that Jews are not a race? You truly are a dishonest emotional train wreck.
Pat

Granby, CT

#585589 Jan 10, 2013
Forum carlsbad nm wrote:
<quoted text>
There is evil. God is good.
There is the creator of evil and the creator of hell and his name is god.
Pat

Granby, CT

#585590 Jan 10, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
<quoted text>
The nature of "proof of God" is not the same as the nature of proof of aliens on pluto; so the analogy is inappropriate.
The actions and potentials of God can be observed at all times: the actions and potentials of aliens on pluto cannot be observed at this time (whether the aliens exist or not is superfluous in the context).
My claim is based on the reality that I and other entities and phenomena exist in a realm where limits are not naturally defined.
What law is there that says matter must accumulate in this or that shape to form this or that entity?
What law is there that says energy must take this or that specific form to shape this or that particular entity?
The processes of nature demonstrate an efficiency that is characteristic of intelligent influence; all things are present in a form that is suited for specific and efficient functioning. There are natural processes which literally function with mathematical precision.
From the shape of leaves to the ears of elephants; all have been structured with specifications that encourage efficiency.
My awareness of God is the result of His Impressions made on mind through the world, while my mind is directed positively towards Him.
I hence posses the moral authority to assert that my claim is true.
"The nature of "proof of God" is not the same as the nature of proof of aliens on Pluto; so the analogy is inappropriate."

False, both god and aliens on Pluto are equal in their lack of proof. Rather you are just a dishonest hypocrite.

99.9999 percent of the time, atheists and theists will agree on what is rational to believe. Theists, like atheists will reject beliefs in things like aliens on Pluto, leprechauns and bigfoot, no different than a level headed will. This proves theists can use their brain properly if they CHOOSE to and they only time they choose not to is when facing their own mortality. The ONE thing all theists have in common, whether Muslim, Hindu, Jew or Christian is death denial. God is really not about god, it's about death denial and if the god garbage did not contain the life after death foolishness people would believe in god as often as they do aliens on Pluto.

"My claim is based on the reality that I and other entities and phenomena exist in a realm where limits are not naturally defined."

Claiming things to be true that you do not know are true is not reality, it's dishonesty and self deception.

"What law is there that says matter must accumulate in this or that shape to form this or that entity?"

What law is there preventing you from saying "I don't know" to things not known?

"The processes of nature demonstrate an efficiency that is characteristic of intelligent influence"

An argument from ignorance not knowledge. A belief in magic is also not a valid world view.

"I hence posses the moral authority to assert that my claim is true."

All theists are dishonest hypocrite cowards and you have proven that yet again.

The inner defenses are unconscious. They consist of a kind of magic aura which the mind builds around cherished belief. Arguments which penetrate into the magic aura are not dealt with rationally but by a specific type of pseudo-reasoning. Absurdities and contradictions are made acceptable by specious rationalizations.
-- Arthur Koestler

Pat

Granby, CT

#585591 Jan 10, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
So how is it that you dont seem to appreciate my opinions on the existence of God?
I am not asserting that this or that religion has the right conception of God.
All I am saying is that God exists.
Now from what you posted up top there, you should be able to appreciate my attempt to justify my speculations that God is real and existent.
Why dont/cant you?
Claiming god exists is as much a lie as claiming aliens on Pluto exist. They both might exist but since we do not know that to be true, making the claim they do is a lie. Just like claiming you will win the lottery in two days is a lie. You might just win in two days but to make the claim prior to the drawing is a lie since you do not know that to be true.

"Why dont/cant you?"

Because I am an honest rational person.

Fennario

#585592 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Spoken like a true anti-smoker (not a non-smoker).
I'm pro-smoker, and anti-smoking. I can't really see how any other position is possible.

Don't you wish that nobody would ever start smoking again, and that all smokers would quit? If you wish for that, you're for smokers and against smoking.

How can anybody be anti-smoker? Are you saying that supporting the taxing of cigarettes and having non-smoking areas is being anti-smoker? OCB said that she smokes, and supports those four items.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But that's your MO, IANS. Take, take, take... But only from that which you disagree with.
That's absurd. Take what? Cigarette taxes to defray the economic burden imposed by smoking? A breath of fresh air? I say that it's you that's taking if you think that the cost of smoking should be absorbed by smokers and nonsmokers alike. Taxing cigarettes is the most just way to handle that.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. I don't mind at all. The current legal age is 18. No prob.
Really? Good. I thought that you said that smoking was a choice that the government should stay out of. In fact, your exact words were that, "smoking is a CHOICE that the f_cking government should stay out of."
RiversideRedneck wrote:
2. "Need" or "want"? You don't need that, you want it. You've got it, too.
Yes, I know. You said "smoking is a CHOICE that the f_cking government should stay out of." I thought that you wanted the government out of smoker's ways. I assumed that you would want all existing smoking related legislation reversed.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
3. Another "need", huh? Funny... The cigarette tax, aka sin tax, is a fraud & it's unfair.
A sin tax? No. You're paying for your increased health care costs.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Where's the sin tax on things like weed, alcohol or cheeseburgers? They don't exist because people like you aren't anti-cheeseburgerers.... You like the smell of weed and the taste of liquor so do the lawmakers. Alcohol kills more people than cigarettes.
Forget "sin tax." That sounds like a religious concept anyway. Alcohol is taxed. Pot will be taxed as it is legalized, although I'm not aware of legal pot smoking being an increased burden to the taxpayers. And if cheeseburgers impose an economic burden on society, then it is only fair that the costs be shouldered by those eating cheeseburgers. I know of no fairer way than to tax cheeseburgers according to that expense.

You can argue about how those principles are actually being implemented, and I probably wouldn't argue back. But I would continue supporting user taxes in principle.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
4. It's very good to have a smoke after sex. You're wrong.
I'm not swayed by that. Are you surprised?

Cigarettes give pleasure the way that Christianity gives comfort. It creates the problem, and then offers the solution. With Christianity, it's the fear of hell and salvation from it. With tobacco, it's craving then satisfying the craving.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You " need" the government to do a lot for you, huh?
Yes, and so do you. Do you like roads? Police? A military? Food inspection?
Pat

Granby, CT

#585593 Jan 10, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
I could tell you that God told me he was real and point you to a copy of His best selling book, the Bible; but you would perhaps revolt.
I could tell you that science showed me that God is real and point out to you that evolutionary algorithm is being used to make artificial intelligence capable devices; which demonstrate that evolution is an effective tool for intelligent creation especially by a creative God. But you would probably say you are 'not satisfied'(in less dignified terms).
<quoted text>
You dont know that memory and awareness cease upon death.
Have you ever died to know that memory and awareness cease upon death?
Who has come back from the dead to tell you?
You are using an argument from ignorance.
<quoted text>
It doesnt matter whether death ends personal memeory and awareness or not. The idea is that the will to live must always remain in you.
If you found that there is just a slight probability that you could live even after your "corpse" is destroyed, wouldnt you be interested to find out how?
Your reasoning suggests that you are nihilistic in your personal philosophy. Are you?
The bible was written by fools like yourself.

Intelligent design has been debunked and it is simply the same ol same ol, an argument from ignorance for god.

"You dont know that memory and awareness cease upon death."

Yes I do know and so do you. Memory is destroyed when the brain is damaged and we know this for a fact with surviving victims of brain injury. I know for a fact that awareness is nothing more than the gathering of information from your five senses and being processed by your brain. I know for a fact your five sense and brain do not function after death. The more accurate statement here is that YOU do not have a shred of proof for ghosts and that memory and awareness are entities unto themselves.

"If you found that there is just a slight probability that you could live even after your "corpse" is destroyed, wouldnt you be interested to find out how?"

I am open to knowledge, not lies and irrational dogma.

"Your reasoning suggests..."

My reasoing suggests that I am a rational, honest person that simply goes where the evidence takes me, regardless of my personal desires.
Pat

Granby, CT

#585594 Jan 10, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a rule or law that says "NO INDIVIDUAL SHALL BASE HIS/HER RELIGIOUS FAITH ON TANGIBLE PROOF"?
I dont know where you get the idea that all religious faith is of that nature; you are making hasty generalizations.
My religious faith is based on my real world experiences.
<quoted text>
That was neither circular reasoning nor an unsupported claim; it was an expression of the differences I see between my God and an imaginary god(s).
If you wanted evidence for my claim that God created everything, you should ask for it.
If you want TANGIBLE PROOF that my God is different from imaginary gods, you should ask for it. You did not specify whether you wanted proof or an expression of my perception.
<quoted text>
I am not a death denier; I am a death defier :P
You have "stroke victims who have had brain damage not be able to recognize a spouse of 50 years and we know this memory is gone, destroyed when the brain was damaged..?"
Well I have Dr. Eben Alexande.
"Eben Alexander said he saw heaven during a seven-day coma brought on by bacterial meningitis and E. coli bacteria eating his brain. The experience happened, he said, as his brain had supposedly gone completely inactive. During the experience, he traveled on the wing of a butterfly with a biological sister he had never met, the adopted doctor said."
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/...
You are so nihilistic and fatalistic and all those bad -istics.
How old are you?
Do you have a boyfriend?
When was the last time you got laid?
"Is there a rule or law that says "NO INDIVIDUAL SHALL BASE HIS/HER RELIGIOUS FAITH ON TANGIBLE PROOF"?"

Tangible proof needs no faith to beleive it, for you have TANGIBLE PROOF that everybody can examine.

"My religious faith is based on my real world experiences."

May I suggest a good lunatic asylum?

"That was neither circular reasoning nor an unsupported claim; it was an expression of the differences I see between my God and an imaginary god(s)."

And it was indeed an example of circular reasoning.

""Eben Alexander said he saw heaven during a seven-day coma brought on by bacterial meningitis and E. coli bacteria eating his brain."

I am not interested in yours or any other theists delusions while in a coma. That is like saying you met god in a dream. It's nonsense and you know it. NDE have been debunked a long time ago.

" You are so nihilistic and fatalistic and all those bad -istics.
How old are you?
Do you have a boyfriend?
When was the last time you got laid?"

Am I starting to prick your conscience? I think so.

Fennario

#585595 Jan 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm old school I guess. Sometimes I wish I was born in the 40's.

I don't use email.
I buy stamps.
Didn't you just say "You 'need' the government to do a lot for you, huh?" Use email. The postal service is government. It's also wasteful to use paper resources when pixels work so well.

Do you ever think about your professed values, and search yourself for inconsistencies? Why would you use the government for anything that you didn't need to given your feelings about it? If you hate government, shun it. It you can't or don't want to, reevaluate how you really feel about government.

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." I think that's excessive. My dogs would disagree - if they could. But self-reflection does make for a better life. Consistency and self-knowledge can't help but make life better.
Pat

Granby, CT

#585597 Jan 10, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not know anything beyond your physical ability/capacities as such; it is absurd to think you can.
Then how can you possibly claim to KNOW there is a god? You once again prove what hypocrites and liars you dumb theists are.
Pat

Granby, CT

#585598 Jan 10, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I've seen not all that much honesty from you, Pat.
Your blatant racism toward blacks and your stereotyping of blacks is anything but honest.
Regardless, you need not show your contempt in the always nasty, condescending and just plain miserable way that you always do.
Stop lying. I have offered NOTHING dishonest about blacks and you can not show I did.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#585599 Jan 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Jewish women in biblical time until married were considered property of their father , and upon marriage became property of her husband. So Jewish law concerning them would be similar to possession and ownership of livestock.
The women of today's world in free societies would shriek in horror of the way they were treated then, as subservient second class citizens with little recourse.
We tend to see biblical laws as barbaric and primitive.
None of that excuses the barbarity.
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#585600 Jan 10, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, the past 3 responses said a lot. My point still stands.
Ok then.

I am here saying that the nature of the human body is such that, any perception or measurement of the world is essentially a measurement of the bodily processes and structures. Because what is perceived at any time as an experience is actually the effect of the reality on the body, the absolute reality is never actually experienced.

Adding another mechanism to the equation such as a telescope does not change the subjectivity of the experience of the user.

Now tell me WTF is the relevance of mentioning MRI's and radio telescopes?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#585601 Jan 10, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and so do you. Do you like roads? Police? A military? Food inspection?
But, but who will pick the cotton?
Pat

Granby, CT

#585602 Jan 10, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>BTW, I would STILL have been born into Judaism even if the people who would have then adopted me raised me as a Christian.
Even if that had been the case, my heritage associated with Judaism would forever remain intact.
In other words what you said about being born into a RELIGION was not what you meant, but instead you meant born into the racial heritage of the Jews? Then we agree, you are a genetic Jew whether or not you were adopted or had atheists for your birth parents. Why don't you just write what you mean the first time so I don't have to keep correcting you like this?
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#585603 Jan 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether seen or detected by senses alone makes no difference , they are detected and detected in their entire range of existence.
Do you feel comfortable making a statement like that?

If you do, then I am afraid that the only knowledge you truly possess is the knowledge of how to be arrogant.

[QUOTE who="Aura Mytha"
You seem to forget these waves were also created by men to serve purpose.
I do not deny they exist and are detectable.
http://chandra.harvard.edu/learn_cxc.html [/QUOTE]

That is superfluous to the discussion.

The fact is that these waves do not appeal to the human senses naturally. There are aspect and elements of reality which have an existence that is only logically deducible, through the observation of interaction between entities and phenomena. Logic then assists us in creating devices to test and measure what we deduce.

DO YOU KNOW WHY "NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory is a telescope specially designed to detect X-ray emission from very hot regions of the Universe such as exploded stars, clusters of galaxies, and matter around black holes. "???????[http://chandra.h arvard.edu/learn_cxc.html]

Its because we could not detect them with our natural senses, so we had to invent a mechanism to detect them for us.

But here is the interesting part:

How do men know how to make the machines to effectively test these waves and other phenomena?

The answer is that THE NATURE OF WAVES AND SUCH LIKE PHENOMENA WERE LOGICALLY DEDUCED PRIOR TO THEIR DETECTION WITH INVENTED TOOLS.

Furthermore, what we see projected on screens when we scan or measure those waves is a machine generated image and responses. What we are able to test and measure using a machine, are the machines responses to reality; we cant test or measure the reality itself.

So there is no way you can comfortably make a conclusion such as:
"Whether seen or detected by senses alone makes no difference , they are detected and detected in their entire range of existence."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 6 min Grunt56 221,529
Gay snapchat names 10 min nickkaraoke 326
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min kent 567,384
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 47 min Mr Slovak 464
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 49 min Pegasus 267,312
Voyeur & Donkeys Joke Thread Free For All......... (Dec '08) 52 min Ricky F 159
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr ChromiuMan 5,754
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Epiphany2 607,071
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr Rosa_Winkel 97,429
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 20 hr henk 175
More from around the web