“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#583920 Jan 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bad Athiest: A self-involved, egotistical jackass who does not believe in a supreme being not because what they have read or studied but usually because they hate religion or religious people. They usually go out of there way to make religious people feel bad and accuse them of being close-minded while they, themselves, will not listen to any other arguments but there own. They are impossible to try to reason with because they are usually self-centered, condescending,unscientific, and downright immature. Their arguments are usually full of anti-religious cliches and therefore easy to break apart.
Religious Person: I believe in God
Good Atheist: Really? that's interesting. I don't personally but I'd love to sit down with you and discuss the issue sometime
Religious Person: I belive in God
Bad Atheist: WHAT!!!?!? You belive in God?....hahahahaha I don't believe in God I have absolute faith in science because it's completley accurate and irrefutable!!!
BTW, I found your source - Urban Dictionary, definition 2, at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php... . It also had a definition of a "Good Atheist" that you left out of your post. Here it is:

"A person who has read and studied thoroughly the concepts of science and religion. He/She has come to the conclusion that there is no supreme being and therefore does not believe in any god or gods. In spite of this however they are open to the concept and enjoy having mature, intellectual debates on the issue without being critical or condescending."

I do not consider that a good model. It serves your purposes, not ours.

Science isn't the reason for atheism. Rational skepticism is.

Why study Christianity? A casual exposure to the brutality and irrationality in its bible, and the hypocrisy, scapegoating and anti-scientism in its church is sufficient.

Most atheists have not come to any conclusion about gods. They simply aren't interested in supported claims that they exist.

"Open to the concept"? What concept? God? Religion? I'm not interested in hearing about your god or your religion at all. What's to discuss? Been there, done that. I'd rather discuss your church, what is happening to it, and why.

"Mature, intellectual debates on the issue without being critical"?
That's inane. The essence of debate is defense of one position and criticism of its alternatives.

As far as condescension goes, sorry, but its the Christians who need to be brought down a peg. Faith is not a virtue. You call yourselves more spiritual and more moral. Both claims are shams.

If telling you so is condescending, then mea culpa.

Fennario

#583921 Jan 7, 2013
karl44 wrote:
the Citizenry should never allow their government to disarm them.
Maybe, but I'm not as sure as you are that that make sense any more. Here's a repost:

"Guns worked last time, and will again if the government comes with cannons and muskets again. I'm not really sure how well a gun would work against having your bank accounts seized, your credit cards cancelled, your phone, water, and power disconnected, the roads to your home closed, and a drone with a laser or a missile launcher in low earth orbit trained you, but perhaps we'll see ... I would think that if you fear your government at that level, it might be time for a new government, which in the 21st century means moving, not revolution."

What do you think? Can guns defend against a rogue government?

Fennario

#583922 Jan 7, 2013
SAL wrote:
The body + breath = soul.
The body w/o breath = no soul or life.
BTW the 'breath' is the 'spirit'.
Bad news for fetuses.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#583923 Jan 7, 2013
Black Hebrew wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad for you, good for us--he isn't your president, he's ours..and he marks the end of white rule. Praise G-d.
Shalom
Why? Because he's half black?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583924 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I am impressed you know that.
I'm a Zelda nut, too. I played Ocarina of Time for like two years straight.

Hands down the best video game of all time.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583925 Jan 7, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>That's what I wrote RR disagreed.
You moron. What part of "you're right" sounds like a disagreement?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#583926 Jan 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Jumpin' Jesus on a Pogo Stick! How condign was that?
:)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583927 Jan 7, 2013
Black Hebrew wrote:
<quoted text>
Naahh, lol, apparently you're forgetting that I'm black, and in case you've forgotten--we're known for being physically superior to you (i.e. another one of those "differences" that I mentioned. Very rare that you'll meet a white guy whom doesn't fear us which explains the many youtube videos in which black men victimize white people--women even--while you guys stand around and watch in fear),so chances are that you're the "internet tough guy".
And I'm no failure, I've probaly got a bit more money than you..it's very possible.
Some of you blacks really keep racism alive & well.
Pat

Granby, CT

#583928 Jan 7, 2013
God is a silly superstition. Life after death is a lie for we know for a fact that memory and awareness are brain functions and will cease upon death no differnt than ones blodd will no longer flow when their heart stops beating. A belief in ghosts is childish. Thiests are cowards, dishonest death deniers. If the god garbage didn't contain the life after death foolishness, theists would believe in god as often as they do aliens on Pluto. It's always really been about death denial and not about god. The ONE thing all theists have in common is their refusal to accept their own mortality honestly. If a corpse can not be considered conclusive proof that death ends personal memory and awareness then NOTHING that we know of could ever be considered as being proven.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583929 Jan 7, 2013
The War on Drugs is a failure. It does FAR more harm than good.
So then what, just let people do all the drugs they want?

Do you honestly think that would be good for society?
Pat

Granby, CT

#583930 Jan 7, 2013
Black Hebrew wrote:
<quoted text>
Naahh, lol, apparently you're forgetting that I'm black, and in case you've forgotten--we're known for being physically superior to you (i.e. another one of those "differences" that I mentioned. Very rare that you'll meet a white guy whom doesn't fear us which explains the many youtube videos in which black men victimize white people--women even--while you guys stand around and watch in fear),so chances are that you're the "internet tough guy".
And I'm no failure, I've probaly got a bit more money than you..it's very possible.
Blacks may be physically superior but they are mentally and morally inferior. I'll take mentally and morally superior any day. Enjoy your no snitchin crime ridden violent ghettos. LOL

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583931 Jan 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
It's getting me somewhere.
I can see that you don't have a single valid argument for owning assault weapons.
You're geting nowhere.

You haven't posted one good argument for not owning an assault weapon.

This is why the debate is over.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583932 Jan 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Poison has no other use except to kill.
That's incorrect.
I meant rat poison. Which was the context of the hypothetical discussion.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583933 Jan 7, 2013
You forgot quite a few other freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment. How about freedom of speech, of the press, to petition the government with grievances, and to assemble peaceably? Oh,and freedom *from* religion.
They all come before guns in the Bill of Rights.
If you paid attention, you'd notice that the 1st Amendment doesn't say "freedom from religion". It protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference.

It's not a difficult sentence to read:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583934 Jan 7, 2013
BTW, I found your source - Urban Dictionary, definition 2, at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php... . It also had a definition of a "Good Atheist" that you left out of your post. Here it is:
"A person who has read and studied thoroughly the concepts of science and religion. He/She has come to the conclusion that there is no supreme being and therefore does not believe in any god or gods. In spite of this however they are open to the concept and enjoy having mature, intellectual debates on the issue without being critical or condescending."
OH NO! You found the source..... I never said I wrote it. It just makes perfect sense.
I do not consider that a good model. It serves your purposes, not ours.
I don't care. I consider it a good example of good/bad atheists.(which is why I posted it, not you.)
Science isn't the reason for atheism. Rational skepticism is.
Then why do so many "bad atheists" claim to "believe in science first"?
Why study Christianity? A casual exposure to the brutality and irrationality in its bible, and the hypocrisy, scapegoating and anti-scientism in its church is sufficient.
LMAO! You just proved why one should study the bible BEFORE ranting on it.
(you're wrong)
Most atheists have not come to any conclusion about gods. They simply aren't interested in supported claims that they exist.
Right. "There is no gods", say the atheist.
"Open to the concept"? What concept? God? Religion? I'm not interested in hearing about your god or your religion at all. What's to discuss? Been there, done that. I'd rather discuss your church, what is happening to it, and why.
No, open to the concept of discussion.
"Mature, intellectual debates on the issue without being critical"?
That's inane. The essence of debate is defense of one position and criticism of its alternatives.
Says you. I can have a very rational conversation with atheists. People like you make it hard to not be critical because you're very condescending - you think you're right & we're wrong, which makes us dumb.
As far as condescension goes, sorry, but its the Christians who need to be brought down a peg. Faith is not a virtue. You call yourselves more spiritual and more moral. Both claims are shams.
If telling you so is condescending, then mea culpa.
That wasn't condescending at all, you simply voiced your opinion. But in my short time on Topix, I've noticed far more hatred coming from your side of the fence...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583935 Jan 7, 2013
Here ya go, IANS. A perfct example of you condescending atheists.....
Pat wrote:
God is a silly superstition. Life after death is a lie for we know for a fact that memory and awareness are brain functions and will cease upon death no differnt than ones blodd will no longer flow when their heart stops beating. A belief in ghosts is childish. Thiests are cowards, dishonest death deniers. If the god garbage didn't contain the life after death foolishness, theists would believe in god as often as they do aliens on Pluto. It's always really been about death denial and not about god. The ONE thing all theists have in common is their refusal to accept their own mortality honestly. If a corpse can not be considered conclusive proof that death ends personal memory and awareness then NOTHING that we know of could ever be considered as being proven.
God is a silly superstition

A belief in ghosts is childish

Thiests are cowards, dishonest death deniers

the god garbage

ONE thing all theists have in common is their refusal to accept their own mortality honestly

=====

You atheists need to learn a lesson in understanding the difference between opinion and fact.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583936 Jan 7, 2013
Pat wrote:

the god garbage

ONE thing all theists have in common is their refusal to accept their own mortality honestly

=====

You atheists need a lesson in understanding the difference between opinion and fact.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#583937 Jan 7, 2013
Pat wrote:
Blacks may be physically superior but they are mentally and morally inferior.
That's a foolish, blanket statement. You're just as racist as that other sock.

It's safe to say that SOME blacks are stronger, but you CANNOT say that all are. I work with about 8 black dudes & 3 black women, not one of them is bigger or stronger than I am.

Racist atheist.
Pat

Granby, CT

#583938 Jan 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So then what, just let people do all the drugs they want?
Do you honestly think that would be good for society?
Trying to protect people from themselves has never worked nor is it in accordance with an appreciation for personal freedoms. You should be free to eat as much fat, drink as much booze, smoke as mcuh of anything you want to inhale and so forth so long as you do not infringe on the rights of others.

There are many things that could be argued as good for society. We could legally require people to excersize and eat a low fat diet too and no person could argue that it would not be "good" for society. The real question is does what you or anybody else deems good for society trump personal freedoms?
Pat

Granby, CT

#583939 Jan 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
the god garbage
=====
You atheists need to learn a lesson in understanding the difference between opinion and fact.
Then please, I beg of you, just one fact, one simple fact about your god that shows that your god and an imaginary god are not just alike.

A corpse is fact, what part of it don't you understand? We know for a FACT that memory and awareness are functions of an organ called the brain and we know for a fact this organ dies along with the rest of your body. Where are your facts about ghosts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 7 min TheNorthRemembers 221,723
Any GAY or BI guy wanna text or skype? (Feb '13) 9 min happyme12342 21
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 19 min graciousaint 274
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 21 min bad bob 176,084
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 25 min RFD 5,453
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 35 min Curious_Guy1 161
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 36 min Gods r Delusions ... 573,568
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 56 min Coco 202
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr His Holines dr Sh... 608,101
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr RADEKT 268,775
More from around the web