Prove there's a god.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#582601 Jan 4, 2013
UR BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets try and look at this logically.
The Pill is over 98% effective. A condom is over 95% effective. Combine the two and the chances of an accidental pregnancy is infinitesimal.
So I don't really buy into the whole it was an accident thing.
When my wife and I decided we did not want anymore children but still wanted the chance to change our mind later we took appropriate steps to prevent it. She used the pill and a spermacide while I used a condom.
All I am saying is be responsible.
Nothing is as black and white as everyone would like us to think but my main problem with abortion is the cavalier attitude toward it taken by most. It is a very serious issue. There is a life being terminated.
Please take a statistics course and concentrate of probability. Okay so the pill is 98% effective.....
that means out of 100 sexual intercourse events, there will be 2 failures.
Now stop and think how many sexual intercourse events there are in a population of 330 million. Even if we take 1/3 of that 330 million as sexually active, that's 110 million sexually active people, how many sexual intercourse events do you suppose occur. Even with a failure rate of 2% that's a lot of unwanted pregnancies. But not everyone uses the pill, and for other birth control methods the failure rate is even higher.

Then there is the always unplanned sexual intercourse event...with no protection

The statistic of 58% of women getting an abortion being married with children who were on birth control comes from the NIH.

as far as the cavalier attitude, how do you know that? Have you interviewed anyone getting an abortion? Do you know someone who has gotten an abortion?

Can you please provide you source for this information? Was there a survey that you can reference about the cavalier attitude?

Or as I suspect, you just made that up?

BTW, My parents wanted to stop at 5 children and used birth control. I have 6 brothers and sisters.

So much for birth control always working.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#582602 Jan 4, 2013
UR BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets try and look at this logically.
The Pill is over 98% effective. A condom is over 95% effective. Combine the two and the chances of an accidental pregnancy is infinitesimal.
So I don't really buy into the whole it was an accident thing.
When my wife and I decided we did not want anymore children but still wanted the chance to change our mind later we took appropriate steps to prevent it. She used the pill and a spermacide while I used a condom.
All I am saying is be responsible.
Nothing is as black and white as everyone would like us to think but my main problem with abortion is the cavalier attitude toward it taken by most. It is a very serious issue. There is a life being terminated.
98% effective means that for every 100 times a condom is used, there are 2 failures.
That's infinitesimal?
With a could hundred million in this country having sex?
You need to look at those numbers a little closer.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#582603 Jan 4, 2013
OCB wrote:
Because your kids have been "trained" to not "mess around" with guns you think that is a guarantee that they never will?
Good point. Adam Lanza was trained. Seems Nancy Lanza made a lot of bad decisions and all of them had to do with guns.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#582604 Jan 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What line of work are you in, RR?
Are you a watchman or something like that?
You HAVE mentioned your "shift."
Construction supply sakes. I got the cakest job right now. Half the day I'm sittin my happy ass at a desk, taking orders, the other half I'm playing on Topix.

I don't have a computer at home, which is why you don't see me here at night, ever.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#582605 Jan 4, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong! Protection is only HALF the answer.
What's the other half?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#582606 Jan 4, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
98% effective means that for every 100 times a condom is used, there are 2 failures.
That's infinitesimal?
With a could hundred million in this country having sex?
You need to look at those numbers a little closer.
2% failures. Just like the atheist population.

Since: Feb 12

Germany

#582607 Jan 4, 2013
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please take a statistics course and concentrate of probability. Okay so the pill is 98% effective.....
that means out of 100 sexual intercourse events, there will be 2 failures.
Now stop and think how many sexual intercourse events there are in a population of 330 million. Even if we take 1/3 of that 330 million as sexually active, that's 110 million sexually active people, how many sexual intercourse events do you suppose occur. Even with a failure rate of 2% that's a lot of unwanted pregnancies. But not everyone uses the pill, and for other birth control methods the failure rate is even higher.
Then there is the always unplanned sexual intercourse event...with no protection
The statistic of 58% of women getting an abortion being married with children who were on birth control comes from the NIH.
as far as the cavalier attitude, how do you know that? Have you interviewed anyone getting an abortion? Do you know someone who has gotten an abortion?
Can you please provide you source for this information? Was there a survey that you can reference about the cavalier attitude?
Or as I suspect, you just made that up?
BTW, My parents wanted to stop at 5 children and used birth control. I have 6 brothers and sisters.
So much for birth control always working.
Take a chill pill girl dang you'll give yourself an aneurysm.

Notice that I stated which you convienetly failed to mentio the combination of multiple forms of birth control. So why don't you take a statistics course, then you can tell mewhat the probability is of the Pill at 98% combined with a condom at 95% combined with a spermacide at 90%. Now combine all three of those and then give me a failure rate.
That is what is called being responsible.
As to your parents I have no idea what they were using or even if they were using anything so that little nugget is of no impact.
as to the attitude all you need do is read these threads and even just read your own posts.
Unplanned sexual intercourse? So now we are expected to say Oh no problem they had to do it right this moment so it is all OK. They would have died had he not slammed it to her at the instant!
Please it is called responsibility.
And by the way I do know someone that has had an abortion, and I know someone that was pressured to get one by Planned Parenthood and refused.
So step down off your high horse but be carefull it is a long way down.

Since: Feb 12

Germany

#582608 Jan 4, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
98% effective means that for every 100 times a condom is used, there are 2 failures.
That's infinitesimal?
With a could hundred million in this country having sex?
You need to look at those numbers a little closer.
Do you people deliberately pick portions of a post and ignore the rest or are you just too stupid to comprehend.
Read the post fool!
The pill 98% effective, combined with a condom 95% effective combined with spermacide 95% effective. Now note the COMBINED part? Figure out what the odds are for all three to fail at the same time.
Dang it is worse than trying to explain algebra to a first grader.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#582609 Jan 4, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I called the insult police, but they were busy on another thread.
Somebody typed astrology instead of astronomy...it was a text bath, worst I've seen.
Laffin.

Yeah, that'd do it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#582610 Jan 4, 2013
UR BS wrote:
Tiy still keep beatiung that same dead horse.
That's up to you.
UR BS wrote:
I have answered what my beliefs are
Not to me you haven't. You only answered one of two questions I asked you, and failed to comment about whether you agreed that the universe would be a better one without the Christian god.
UR BS wrote:
you are not happy with the answer so you want to twist around and try an get a different one.
I don't have an answer from you to be unhappy with. Nor am I unhappy that you refuse to answer. I'm just noting it.

Do you believe that the Christian god created the world,even if you are unsure? Do you pray to it?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#582611 Jan 4, 2013
UR BS wrote:
Your motives are clear as you have stated them fairly plain for anyone that can reason. You want to show somehow that I am actually a Christian because then you feel that is some kind of victory for you in your little world.
I want to know if you are a stealth Christian - a believer that refuses to say so for whatever reason. That is my only purpose. And my reason is as a test of my understanding of the world. There are very few non-Christians that do any of several things that you have done.

[1] You referred to "a God" instead of "a god."

[2] I asked you if "a God" meant Jehovah-Jesus and you declined to answer.

[3] You refuse to deny that you are a believer. I don't know any non-Christians that won't say so.

[4] You are upset at what you called my religion bashing and what you called my closed mind about it. I have rarely had a skeptics say anything close to that, although it has happened.

[5] You refuse to acknowledge the obvious fact that the universe is a much worse place for most of us with the Christian god in it. And you have a disproportionate interest in fetuses over other life.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#582612 Jan 4, 2013
UR BS wrote:
Well sorry I am an agnostic I have been an agnostic and will remain an agnostic until one or the other side can come up with sufficient proof to sway me one way or the other.
Yes, you've told me. What you won't tell me is which kind - the kind that has accepts a god claim, or the one that hasn't.

Are you an agnostic atheist like me and the majority of atheists, or are you an agnostic theist like the minority of Christians. Most Christians say that they are certain that their god exists, while a few admit uncertainty, but believe nevertheless. You steadfastly refuse to say.
UR BS wrote:
The fact that you and kitty feel that you can be both agnostic and an atheist or a thiest does not play in what I consider an agnostic. As far as I am concerned an affirmation in either direction removes the agnostic and you then become either a theist or an atheist.
That sounds like an answer that you might give when you refuse to answer the question about what you believe. And I can't think of any reason to refuse to answer that question apart from being a stealth Christian that now has to choose between admitting it, or denying his god publicly.
UR BS wrote:
So if you want to keep beating this dead horse go ahead you have received my answer and that is all there is.
I have nothing more to say about it unless you continue the discussion. Presently, my default position is that you are probably a stealth Christians. I've explained my reasoning. And I am content to leave it at that if you are.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#582613 Jan 4, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. Thanks for that. I have avoided that matter as much as possible. I hate the way the media deals with these things.
What little I've learned about it, I learned on Topix.
The discussion has degenerated, as it usually does, to mere noise.

Apart from injecting the occasional fact, I'm not getting involved - and I've been a shooter all my adult life.

Since: Feb 12

Germany

#582614 Jan 4, 2013
I will try to help you all out a bit with the math. Using the numbers I supplied for the three differnt types of BC being used together the odds are roughly 1 out of 2000 that all three methods would fail. That is just a rough guess I suggest that if you want exact numbers you try and get a formula and figure the entire problem out.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#582615 Jan 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the other half?
To kill the other person.

Which brings up another point, what are the police trying to protect themselves FROM?

Oh year, the other guy trying to KILL them.

Take the guns out of the picture. Oh look! Problem solved! Imagine that.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#582616 Jan 4, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Each of who?
And are you offering me a gun or threatening me?
That's a line from "Tombstone".
Val Kilmer as a (rather inebriated) Doc Holliday.

Since: Feb 12

Germany

#582617 Jan 4, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you've told me. What you won't tell me is which kind - the kind that has accepts a god claim, or the one that hasn't.
Are you an agnostic atheist like me and the majority of atheists, or are you an agnostic theist like the minority of Christians. Most Christians say that they are certain that their god exists, while a few admit uncertainty, but believe nevertheless. You steadfastly refuse to say.
<quoted text>
That sounds like an answer that you might give when you refuse to answer the question about what you believe. And I can't think of any reason to refuse to answer that question apart from being a stealth Christian that now has to choose between admitting it, or denying his god publicly.
<quoted text>
I have nothing more to say about it unless you continue the discussion. Presently, my default position is that you are probably a stealth Christians. I've explained my reasoning. And I am content to leave it at that if you are.
You are as usual trying to play your game but I am still not playing it with you.

You are making a number of leaps here and assumptions. Now we all know wjat assume is except this time there is no me only U.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#582618 Jan 4, 2013
UR BS wrote:
Not their car and that brings us to my second point. If it is because it is not their child then at best it should be a property crime and nothing more.
Perhaps. I am not all that familiar with either the issue or the law, and haven't thought it through. My first impression is that criminal charges should be limited to what they would be if the woman were not pregnant, although perhaps with some exceptions.

Ask Catcher what is fair in that area.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#582619 Jan 4, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you've told me. What you won't tell me is which kind - the kind that has accepts a god claim, or the one that hasn't.
Are you an agnostic atheist like me and the majority of atheists, or are you an agnostic theist like the minority of Christians. Most Christians say that they are certain that their god exists, while a few admit uncertainty, but believe nevertheless. You steadfastly refuse to say.
<quoted text>
That sounds like an answer that you might give when you refuse to answer the question about what you believe. And I can't think of any reason to refuse to answer that question apart from being a stealth Christian that now has to choose between admitting it, or denying his god publicly.
<quoted text>
I have nothing more to say about it unless you continue the discussion. Presently, my default position is that you are probably a stealth Christians. I've explained my reasoning. And I am content to leave it at that if you are.
How can one be an agnostic atheist?

Agnostic is a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.

Atheist is a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

"Agnostic Atheist" sounds contradictory.
christianity is EVIL

West Pubnico, Canada

#582620 Jan 4, 2013
no beginning no end wrote:
I have felt him!
He has nothing to prove to you...you will find out when you die, and you will also find out if hell exist, wow what if he is real, you will only see him for a moment before you are shiped to hell..oh if it is real.
He has shown me he is real!
I know he is real, and no one can prove to you he is real, that's something you have to find out for your self!
youre lying

you must be xian..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 47 min onemale 286,463
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr bagittagit 101,073
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr emperorjohn 445,666
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr guest 670,486
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Sky Writer 31 184,303
Fraud DoctoRx 9 hr HiddnNumbrz 1
_____Antichrist MARCH 2017_____ 10 hr Sobering2017News 1
More from around the web