Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

River Tam wrote:
Too late. Somebody dug a big trench across Panama.
My side - your side, my side - your side, my side - your side!

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my...
The point is that even though the UK has a gun ban, it has more gun crime than the US.
That's a complete load of crap

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/United-Ki...

we're 4th in the world for murders committed by a firearms, England is 39th

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit...

I'd really like to know where you get your information

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

wilderide wrote:
Wrong. The debate is: when is it a child? Yet you say that's not a valid part of the argument for some reason. Now you see it's a very important definition to establish first. No one would argue that it's ever OK to kill a child.
Oh, ok. I thought the debate was: when is it a life? When is it alive?

That's the crux, isn't it? Deciding when it's ok. That's why pro-lifers say it's a child at conception - to make the rest of us feel guilty for killing a child.

Then the pro-choicers say that the point of the fetus being a child is undetermined, to keep the choice going.

I can't say at what point it becomes a child, but I do believe its a life and it's alive at the point of conception.
Yes. Observation. There are certainly plenty of female pro-lifers, but it's mostly men when it comes down to Christian politicians/lawmakers making such arguments. Probably because Christian women are encouraged to stay home rather than have a career of their own, at least when it comes to Fundamentalist sects.
"Yes. Observation". Is it your opinion or not? Your argument that Christian women are "encouraged" to stay home rather than work is dubious at best. I've been a Christian all my life, I've known many Christians, I've never known one woman encouraged to not work.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>So you don't think your bodies dying in-between meals? LOL...
You're pathetic. I might as well have a discussion with a brick - I'd get better responses...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a complete load of crap
http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/United-Ki...
we're 4th in the world for murders committed by a firearms, England is 39th
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit...
I'd really like to know where you get your information
ugh.... Again???

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_i...

See: Firearms crime.

"The United Kingdom has a total recorded crime rate per capita of approximately 85 per 1000 people; the United States of America records approximately 80."

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Kimberly2hot wrote:
Perhaps.
Well at least you're honest enough not to deny it. Points for that.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I reject other gods because I believe they are false gods. Or they're just different versions of the same God, I don't know.
OK, how do you know they are false? Statistically, if you are just guessing, considering the thousands of other gods posited by various cultures past and present (not to mention the many which may be claimed in the future), isn't it highly unlikely that you've guessed correctly?
The Holy Tribity is a mystery & difficult to understand. It is God manifested in three separate entities. Different, but the same.
In the 13th century (I think), the Lateran Counsil described it as "it is the Father who generates, the Son who is begotten, and the Holy Spirit who proceeds"
Kinda begs the question why didn't God explain all this 1300 years earlier? But in any case, that doesn't sound like three discrete entities but rather three aspects of the same God, which IMHO makes more sense than trying to have the reverse be true.
In Genesis, when God said "Let us make man input own image", He was kinda talking to Himself. He was talking to Jesus & The Holy Spirit.
Uh, no. Genesis was written by Jews, and according to their own holy texts, Jesus didn't qualify as the messiah.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my...
The point is that even though the UK has a gun ban, it has more gun crime than the US.
*Again*, no, it has more crime per capita, not more gun crime, according to that citation.
Gay Subversion

Huntington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

The thought of a Muslim man committing buggery on a Jewish man sickens me, just sickens me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

wilderide wrote:
OK, how do you know they are false? Statistically, if you are just guessing, considering the thousands of other gods posited by various cultures past and present (not to mention the many which may be claimed in the future), isn't it highly unlikely that you've guessed correctly?
In ever said I guessed, did I? Don't add in your own version of what I'm saying.
Kinda begs the question why didn't God explain all this 1300 years earlier? But in any case, that doesn't sound like three discrete entities but rather three aspects of the same God, which IMHO makes more sense than trying to have the reverse be true.
It doesn't matter what it sounds like to you, it is what it is. The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit are three, but they are also one, God.
Uh, no. Genesis was written by Jews, and according to their own holy texts, Jesus didn't qualify as the messiah.
LMAO! Um, I think it's safe to say that God is smarter than the Jews. Jesus is the messiah, I don't understand why Jews don't believe in their Jewish King, Jesus.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit.
Three different entities, but also one.
I thought you knew this......
Which one impregnated the little girl so she could give birth to...itself?

Now my brain is itching again.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I could understand (and used to hold) your point of view. I used to believe that God may not be real, that it's all a bunch of bullshit. That day that I felt God's presence changed me forever. It can change anyone, maybe even you.
"Felt gods presence".

What does that mean?

You got a rush?

You felt an overwhelming peace?

You saw with a sudden clarity?

You felt warm and fuzzy all over?

Actually, I've felt all of those things. No god was necessary. Just a state of mind.

I've experienced perfection. But only enough to know that it's a fleeting experience and that I need to be always aware of the current moment, for that's the only moment I can use.

I hear about all these people that are "touched by god", but I don't see that they're any different from me. They just give credit to some vague, undefinable being. "God" is just the most handy one available. And the bible god is the only one most of them know of.

Frankly, I don't care if you believe in god or not. I can understand the need. It's mostly that damned bible and what it does to people. How it makes people like derek and eagle and YOU so afraid to admit solid scientific facts. And how that is used to generate hate towards people who know better.

Keep your god. I don't care. But to just obstinately continue to deny scientific fact-yes, fact-in favor of stories written thousands of years ago that you KNOW cannot have happened...it just boggles my mind.

Evolution has nothing whatsoever to say about god. But you realize that if evolution is true, then your bible is not. And if your bible is not right about evolution, then all your beliefs crumble. So you just keep on clinging and demanding that science is wrong because if science is not wrong, then YOU are wrong.

And you can't handle that. And you can't find a way to hold both at the same time.

You've chosen.

You're wrong.

I'm not saying that to be mean. It's just the way it is.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
*Again*, no, it has more crime per capita, not more gun crime, according to that citation.
Excuse meee-eeee.....

The UK has more gun crime [[{{~~ per capita ~~}}]] than the US.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Which one impregnated the little girl so she could give birth to...itself?
Now my brain is itching again.
There's no "which one", they're all the same being.

Put you finger in your butt, that's where your brain is :)

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

wilderide wrote:
Sometimes faith is a virtue. It's subjective. Faith in religion, however, is just credulity.
I'm speaking of faith as a way of knowing, or justification for belief.

There is a specific kind of faith, different from a way of knowing, that I could consider to be a virtue, but I would rather treat that as a separate idea. I'd also clearly differentiate between faith and trust. Religious faith is very similar to misplaced trust, but I still differentiate between those two concepts.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, thanks.
Then why is there a thought amongst some atheists that say we own guns (fight death) because we're not true believers or we're "closet atheists"?
That's just crazy, IMO.
it's not crazy.

Your "better place" awaits you.

Why would you not want to go there as soon as you could?

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, ok. I thought the debate was: when is it a life? When is it alive?
That's the crux, isn't it? Deciding when it's ok. That's why pro-lifers say it's a child at conception - to make the rest of us feel guilty for killing a child.
Then the pro-choicers say that the point of the fetus being a child is undetermined, to keep the choice going.
I can't say at what point it becomes a child, but I do believe its a life and it's alive at the point of conception.
Yes, when each person defines a fetus as a child most likely determines when and whether that person considers an abortion a relatively benign medical procedure or murder. I just don't get the whole "life begins at conception" argument. I realize you aren't making that argument, but I agree that a a fertilized egg is alive, but then so were the sperm and egg before they met. So were my tonsils before they were removed. I mean if one were to argue that life (i.e. a child) begins at conception, then God is the biggest abortionist around, as more than 50% of pregnancies end in miscarriages. So isn't God pro-choice? Well, it's own choice anyway?
"Yes. Observation". Is it your opinion or not? Your argument that Christian women are "encouraged" to stay home rather than work is dubious at best. I've been a Christian all my life, I've known many Christians, I've never known one woman encouraged to not work.
Yes, it's my opinion based on observation. I don't have statistics to cite as to the ratio of pro-life males vs females. As to women not working, then you have not hung around Fundie Christians, because for the most part their ideology does frown on women working. They are made to have and raise babies, and be submissive and obedient to their husbands, and Paul dictates in many of the letters attributed to him. I'm certainly not suggesting all Christians think that way, only a small (but sadly, politically powerful) minority. But I do think they are supported in their view by what the Bible says.

Which actually brings up what might be a more interesting topic: when is the Bible to be taken literally, when figuratively, and is there a rationale for saying that some parts (such as instructions on slavery) can be acknowledged to be outdated?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Kimberly2hot wrote:
How about you Goldilocks, how did get off the main highway and decide to ride the dirt roads?
I only care about the truth. If you were half the person you THINK you are, then you'd be able to convince me that I'm wrong, but all you can do is trash talk, and that says more about you than anything.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse meee-eeee.....
The UK has more gun crime [[{{~~ per capita ~~}}]] than the US.
Take another look. "Gun crime" is neither in the quote nor in the citation. Dude, just concede, seriously. It's not there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Take another look. "Gun crime" is neither in the quote nor in the citation. Dude, just concede, seriously. It's not there.
Lol, what? It's under the section called "Firearm crime".....

What else do you think it's talking about? Maybe daisies, huh....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min Chris Clearwater 173,018
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 11 min petesaykekiss 117,892
Last Word + 2 16 min Tender Mercies 430
How do I ask my dad for sex? (Oct '13) 17 min Lovebeingnude 49
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min Truth 537,424
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 32 min Tender Mercies 4,269
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 40 min Rosa_Winkel 94,426
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 43 min Pegasus 259,392
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 13 hr monu chauhan 104

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••