Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#579471 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I've yet to encounter a dog, including several pitbulls, that I couldn't dissuade by remaining still and calm.
And the closest thing to a riot I've ever seen near my house would be one of my July 4th parties.
Nobody deserved to die, though.
nanoanomaly may disagree with that.

And she won't get choked up either.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#579472 Dec 29, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't "feel" more moral for not eating animal products as a child. I just thought it was disgusting from an aesthetic point of view. That, and I had just made friends with the chicken right before she had her neck broken.
xD
Kids and their strange ideas!
It's kind of disturbing to read books that teach one to be good, like The Little Red Hen [A favorite of mine], and then see someone snuff her lights out.:-/
I grew up around my grandma when I was young and when we needed dinner, I thought nothing of it when she went out back and killed a chicken or two or three. Ive seen how pigs, cows, sheep were killed and then dressed on our family ranch and thought nothing of it. I considered it fairly normal.
I just suppose it varies to the person depending on where they were raised.

#579473 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I've yet to encounter a dog, including several pitbulls, that I couldn't dissuade by remaining still and calm.
And the closest thing to a riot I've ever seen near my house would be one of my July 4th parties.
Nobody deserved to die, though.
Did you ever manage to get all the underwer off the power lines after your big bruhaha?

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#579474 Dec 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up around my grandma when I was young and when we needed dinner, I thought nothing of it when she went out back and killed a chicken or two or three. Ive seen how pigs, cows, sheep were killed and then dressed on our family ranch and thought nothing of it. I considered it fairly normal.
I just suppose it varies to the person depending on where they were raised.
Some people are too sensitive for their own good.:)

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#579475 Dec 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever manage to get all the underwer off the power lines after your big bruhaha?
Or the biscuits that the neighbors tossed over the fence into the pool?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#579476 Dec 29, 2012
Anon wrote:
I recall the same anti-gun rhetoric after the Aurora, Colorado shooting. We have to do something, we have to limit handgun sales, we have to ban assault rifles, ad nauseum. No new legislation was passed then, nor do I believe any will pass now. Have we reached a tipping point with the latest tragedy? That too is doubtful. The so-called solutions I have read about are woefully inadequate and will do little, if anything, to prevent a future occurrence.
The problem is not just in one area. Your gun policy in some states is lunacy, but that is only part of the problem. There needs to be more emphasis placed on mental health, and in how people, who are known to be having serious mental problems, can be got to help before they do something as drastic as kill a lot of little kids.

It is rather bizarre, if it did happen the way it was reported, that the mother was involved in buying the guns that were used to kill her, since she would have been aware of her son's emotional state, and buying him a bunch of combat guns is hardly wise.

In the case of that man who killed those school kids it was obvious that he needed mental help before that happened, but likely the system is much more difficult than it should be to get him that help. I know, even here, that you can sign a person into a mental hospital but they can't hold that person against his will for very long.

I have even taken a person (a female friend of my partner) to a place where she could get help, and she went voluntarily, but checked herself out a day or so later. That should not have happened, as she needed to stay there, for her own good.

Arming some of the places where children are at risk might be a short term solution but the problem is long term, and you can't turn your schools into battle grounds of mentally ill against security guards or cops. You (meaning the public) have to get to the root of the problem, and find out why people, who have always had access to guns, are suddenly starting to kill children in large groups today when that was a very rare event in the past.

Perhaps some of it is in the violence encouraged by the rampant increase of computer games and on-line exposure to violence. Man has never before in history ever had access to as much information as we have today, so though man has always killed, the availability of information that might turn people that way (if it does) has only been in my lifetime (actually my children's lifetimes, as the internet only became active after my kids were pretty well grown up).

Even this site shows how normally good decent people can be, at least verbally, abusive to others when they likely would not act that way if they were with the same people in public (for one reason other people seeing them act that way would put a stop to it.

Can you imagine the likes of Patty or RR getting away with speaking to other fellow human beings in an open public space the way that they do on here?

Even I would not say many of the things I do here, though I have not said anything here that I would refuse to say in public.

I get upset with my wife, who is 4' 8" tall if she talks loudly about someone on the street that might have done something offensive. The reason I do that is that I know that if the other person retaliates it is going to be me that gets hurt, not her, because no adult is going to attack a 4' 8" woman who is with a man who is over 5' 9" tall; they are going to go after the man, and I have never been in a physical fight as an adult (only actually attacked once by surprise by another adult in my life, and he only socked me one alongside the head for mouthing off at him).

I avoid altercations with people with a passion. I generally like to do my own thing and not be noticed at all. I though will intercede if I see someone else being abused.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#579477 Dec 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!

That would have been a little uncomfortable to explain as most of the partyers were kids.

#579478 Dec 29, 2012
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Many things wrong with your total post but i'll just cover this one quick one. Meat does not make you fat. Other things like soda and high fructose corn syrup does that. Meat damages your arteries and heart with plaque. It raises your Omega-6 levels and throws your body out of balance. The sodium nitrate in meat also harms your organs. Nitrates also affect the way your body uses sugar, making you more likely to develop diabetes. Many studies have proven that going vegan is much healthier, but being 100% vegan is unhealthy too. There are 7 Billion people in the world today. We already grow enough food to feed 10 Billion people. Food is not the reason why there is hunger.
I would have to say that the problem is more complex than just simply food or simply meat or sugar. It's that people as a society have become less active, and cheap easy fast food is easily available. In addition, how many working parents come home at the end of an exhuasting day and order out?

Kids play outside? why? The Wii or XBox is better..... at least in their minds.

We as a whole no longer burn the Calorie intake like our grandparents did when they were our age.

#579479 Dec 29, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Some people are too sensitive for their own good.:)
stop it nano......you're hurting my feelings......:)

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#579480 Dec 29, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
Dear mankind,
I gave you all the attributes needed to be more than an animal, to become 'gods' yourselves. With that came a responsibilty; to take care of each other, use the planet and all the creatures on it wisely and protect it and them from undue harm.
Part of giving you that power, by neccessity, included granting you freewill. That means that you can reject all these responsibilities and suffer the conseqquences. You ,ay decide to remain as animals, you can abuse the power I gave you and destroy everything I gave you and become extinct and have no one but yourselves to blame.
It is all in your hands now, I am going away now. Don't expect me to come back and dig you out of any messes you create. You are the 'gods' now. Choose wisely.
Love,
Gnxl (don't even bother trying to pronounce it)
You screwed up all these people and now you're just going to walk away and leave it to the handful of sane people who weren't assimilated?

Thanks.

Thanks a lot.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#579481 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Another helpful advent, more free video games will also likely decrease criminal activity in the largest portion of those using guns in crimes. Funny thing is that the advent of games and the internet is literally the only correlation to a decrease in crimes that started in the 80s. I guess the "idle hands" adage is actually true in a sense. My mother had one good point when I was young, she liked us playing video games as teens because, in her words, "it's better than them joining a gang out of boredom." Which was exactly what happened. I had a friend who was in a gang, but I never had time to "join up" or even learn much about it because I was too busy playing Final Fantasy and exchanging tips and tricks about the game with other friends.
Nostalgia aside, it's pretty much finding the vices that people enjoy and making them more available to the "trouble" areas, as you mentioned better job opportunities for adults, also relaxing the child labor laws a bit, those just went out of control. Education is key, and likely why the internet had an impact as well, more information available so those with curiosity had much more to do.
That's bullshyt! I've seen kids go from being active and healthy to little zoned out zombies who get all violent and throw shyt when the game "kills" their "player". Some scream and cuss and then act out when they get frustrated. Boys are worse, but some girls get freaky too.
Gaming doesn't make every kid all calm and cozy.

#579482 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!
That would have been a little uncomfortable to explain as most of the partyers were kids.
I remember the parties my brothers and I used to throw back in the day. Hell, even the dogs got drunk......

Location hidden

#579483 Dec 29, 2012
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're going to make that claim you need to produce the statistics. And when you do so statistics proving just the opposite will be produced. What you seek is sacrificing the freedom of innocent people and expecting them to entrust their safety to the government.
The government is supposed to be designed in such a way that it is the people who put them there, though I realize that it doesn't actually work quite that way, but human beings should never have to arm themselves against their own fellow citizens, who have to be the sons and daughters of some of the same citizens.

Having said that, what idiot thinks that having all citizens carrying handguns in their purses or pockets is going to help them if the government should decide to send the army after them. It would guarantee though that the army is going to shoot first rather than ask questions.

Every time you get stopped for speeding the cop comes to your window with his gun pointed at your face? Here the cops don't even go near their guns unless they have already been attacked, because it means a major inquiry to explain why they used their guns. In every case where a civilian is injured or killed by a police officer it has to be investigated by an outside organization.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#579484 Dec 29, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet that if a person misspelled a word, you'd be quick to blame the person and not the pencil.
I'll bet that if a person killed another with a knife, you'd also blame the person and not the knife.
But if someone kills another with a gun, it's the guns fault?
Yeah, I don't blame the pencil for the lead that's embedded in my hand.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#579485 Dec 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to say that the problem is more complex than just simply food or simply meat or sugar. It's that people as a society have become less active, and cheap easy fast food is easily available. In addition, how many working parents come home at the end of an exhuasting day and order out?
We as a whole no longer burn the Calorie intake like our grandparents did when they were our age.
I do, Al.

That's why I'm fit as a fiddle and slim in the middle.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#579486 Dec 29, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
that would be you
Prove it, whacko.

Location hidden

#579487 Dec 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, part of the cost of rapid technology innovations, is humans have not adapted as quickly as the technology has, and it is damaging us. If we wanted to play when I was a kid we had to go outside and do something active, because we didn't really have much else to do. I was an avid reader but I also played a lot outdoors, and of course being raised on a farm I had to do hard labor from a fairly early age.

Raising our own kids, I know it was easier just to tell them to go watch tv then to try to find some way to entertain them, and now we are all paying for that, by a very unhealthy society. One of the problems is we had no history of that kind of advancement to measure what it might do to us. Almost all of the non active entertainment came about in my lifetime.

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#579488 Dec 29, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not about fault.
I'm sure the gun will be so relieved ti hear that....

Oh wait, you're one of those Harris acolytes who believes that nobody is accountable for their actions, right?

How convenient for abusers.

Location hidden

#579489 Dec 29, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the parties my brothers and I used to throw back in the day. Hell, even the dogs got drunk......
But the dogs were your brothers, were they not?:):)

#579490 Dec 29, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do, Al.
That's why I'm fit as a fiddle and slim in the middle.
Well..... not everyone can be fit as a fiddle. I was a fat bastard for the longest time and it seemed to take forever and just a lot of effort to get to my fighting weight. Even now Catcher it's a struggle and to maintain. I'm afraid that if I don't watch what I'm eating I'll have to go back to using a crow bar and a stick of butter to get in and out of my car.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are our soldiers traitors? 7 min MAKEWORLDPEACEUID... 16
Moses never existed 7 min WasteWater 857
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Michael 560,701
Why the Lamborghini Aventador is FASTER than th... 10 min Doctor REALITY 4
Is A Race War Brewing? 16 min Glen 59
There Is War Against The Blackman In America 19 min Doctor REALITY 9
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 23 min sam 57
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 59 min MAKEWORLDPEACEUID... 4,939
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr YellowPissreality 265,581
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Innocent Holy dr ... 605,384
How do I ask my dad for sex? (Oct '13) 6 hr daveo69 72
More from around the web