|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>

You are dense.
Do you mean that literally or figuratively?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Happy Lesbo wrote:
And it's not just kids.

Here's a so-called expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't get the logic of "guns don't kill people, people kill people" or "a gun is just a tool". If there was ever an argument where the protagonist was begging to bury their head in the sand, that must be it.
Actually, it's not wrong, it is still correct. Most gun murders are done by late teens and early twenties as well.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/wea...

Such a trend demonstrates opportunistic killing, which literally tells us nothing of why they chose the gun. Linking things like this is a correlation to causation fallacy, and why I usually don't get into such discussions because both sides are wrong, and both sides are too passionate to demonstrate just why they are wrong. With isolated countries, geographically speaking, it is feasible to reduce gun killings by limiting access, but we are far from isolated, and way too massive of a country for such to be effective. So restricting access is not the answer, now the question is "what is the solution?" Well, sadly, there is no simple one, and likely all will fail in some way. However areas with stricter gun laws in the US have shown no declines in crimes involving guns, which further complicates the entire matter. However areas with higher educational standards have always shown to have fewer crimes over all, including murders. So a truly viable solution would be to educate people. Thus the whole debate is just silly.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys keep saying that w/o any explanation.....
You must have missed this:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Accidents.
Like this?

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*snicker*
Yes.
Wait, wait, question for the fundies:
Which is worse, Islam, Catholicism, or Satanism?
My guess is that they'd resent a different sect of their own religion more than an entirely different one. Especially one that has been much more successful.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True. So what's the answer? Try to remove all guns? I don't think so.
Most guns that are made result in no deaths. Most gun owners use their guns in a very responsible way. I think removing all guns would punish those that don't deserve any punishment.
Besides, illegal gun owners would still have their illegal guns.
We need one of these in every school.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Like this?
Worse. Kids find the gun, shatter the whole family's lives.

Not to mention the domestic dispute, with alcohol, and a gun in the house.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's not wrong, it is still correct. Most gun murders are done by late teens and early twenties as well.
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/wea...
Such a trend demonstrates opportunistic killing, which literally tells us nothing of why they chose the gun. Linking things like this is a correlation to causation fallacy, and why I usually don't get into such discussions because both sides are wrong, and both sides are too passionate to demonstrate just why they are wrong. With isolated countries, geographically speaking, it is feasible to reduce gun killings by limiting access, but we are far from isolated, and way too massive of a country for such to be effective. So restricting access is not the answer, now the question is "what is the solution?" Well, sadly, there is no simple one, and likely all will fail in some way. However areas with stricter gun laws in the US have shown no declines in crimes involving guns, which further complicates the entire matter. However areas with higher educational standards have always shown to have fewer crimes over all, including murders. So a truly viable solution would be to educate people. Thus the whole debate is just silly.
I agree that it's unrealistic in the foreseeable future to remove a substantive number of guns from our society. Politically, it's just not going to happen. I maintain that there is no good reason not to strictly regulate gun ownership as a viable alternative. As you say, there is no simple solution, except better education and employment opportunities would go a long way to mitigating violent crime. Pretending that guns don't cause problems won't do anything.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that it's unrealistic in the foreseeable future to remove a substantive number of guns from our society. Politically, it's just not going to happen. I maintain that there is no good reason not to strictly regulate gun ownership as a viable alternative. As you say, there is no simple solution, except better education and employment opportunities would go a long way to mitigating violent crime. Pretending that guns don't cause problems won't do anything.
.. hi ya Oscar !!..

.. unfortunately, you can't regulate or legislate insanity. Imagine YD in a gay or lesbian bar ..

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Another helpful advent, more free video games will also likely decrease criminal activity in the largest portion of those using guns in crimes. Funny thing is that the advent of games and the internet is literally the only correlation to a decrease in crimes that started in the 80s. I guess the "idle hands" adage is actually true in a sense. My mother had one good point when I was young, she liked us playing video games as teens because, in her words, "it's better than them joining a gang out of boredom." Which was exactly what happened. I had a friend who was in a gang, but I never had time to "join up" or even learn much about it because I was too busy playing Final Fantasy and exchanging tips and tricks about the game with other friends.

Nostalgia aside, it's pretty much finding the vices that people enjoy and making them more available to the "trouble" areas, as you mentioned better job opportunities for adults, also relaxing the child labor laws a bit, those just went out of control. Education is key, and likely why the internet had an impact as well, more information available so those with curiosity had much more to do.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya Oscar !!..
.. unfortunately, you can't regulate or legislate insanity. Imagine YD in a gay or lesbian bar ..
Pft, I've been in both those kinds of bars, nothing special, I don't know how YD would be phased .. I mean ... they can't be that insane, can they?
Nobody

Euless, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't get the logic of "guns don't kill people, people kill people" or "a gun is just a tool". If there was ever an argument where the protagonist was begging to bury their head in the sand, that must be it.
Yeah I have 3 guns and I have yet had 1 of them jump up and shoot me or anyone else, mind you that would be scarry. They don't do much , I think my guns are crippled.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
According to that link, guns kill 500 kids a year. But there's 1.7 million kids living in homes with at least one gun. And you'd use that to try & get rid of guns?

6,600 kids die each year from cars. Lets ban cars.

1,100 kids die in pool drownings. Let ban pools.

The point is that you're focusing on the gun & nothing else.

Your link said that the stupid f_ck parents not only had a gun in the car, but left it in there with the baby! And you blame the gun?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>In 2000 years there may not be proof that you ever existed either.
and

you were speaking to God?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. get educated ..
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/...
I always knew it was common for liberals to scapegoat everything and every problem, then expect the government to bail them out.

I didn't know it was this bad, though.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:

Right. Because you are a hypocritical bigot.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, I'm not hypocritical.
LMAO !

Ok then, just a bigot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. infants and children are ..
Ok. Agreed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
We agree on that. There was plenty of Christian influence in the founding of this nation. Some of it was good (such as post-Enlightenment ethics), some bad (such as slavery). Not all of the founders were Christian, but most were (some were self-described Deists). Some of the founders did want to found a Christian theocracy, and that was bitterly contested. Fortunately they did not succeed, because as you say, theocracies don't work. Which makes the developments in Israel interesting, but that is another story.
Yes, you're right. Nice post.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet that if a person misspelled a word, you'd be quick to blame the person and not the pencil.

I'll bet that if a person killed another with a knife, you'd also blame the person and not the knife.

But if someone kills another with a gun, it's the guns fault?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

598 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Word + 2 2 min Canine11 225
Why do BLACK People hate Mexicans so much? (Dec '13) 5 min Johnny 195
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min atemcowboy 532,991
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 5 min gianni atheist infidel 115,340
INSTANT INCOME APP REVIEW : instantincomeapp.com 6 min dess71 1
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min Rosa_Winkel 224,375
Same -sex marriages are of OF THE DEVIL 14 min SOLOMONS WISDOM 7
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 min Dr_Zorderz 256,728
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Strength and Honor 172,475
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 3 hr Miki 81
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••