Prove there's a god.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#575158 Dec 19, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>pubic hair
So you're not Laconic Asshat? Silent Assclown? Oscar Wildes One?

Cool

I'm not opposed to it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#575159 Dec 19, 2012
Susie D wrote:
You have to know what Jesus means when he says “the world” he means sin and not the word per say.
I know what the words mean. "World" doesn't mean "sin." It refers to physical reality - you know, this worthless rock that we live that your god intends to destroy, according to prophecy. It's much harder to experience a spiritual connection to the world given such an understanding of it.
Susie D wrote:
The desires of the flesh are not being connected as humans either. It means we have a spiritual nature and an earthly one. One part which desires peace and connection or the desire to do what is good and right, and one that wants what it wants no matter what, even if it is wrong and that is the flesh.
You see, a nice interaction. It can be done
That's very pretty, but that's not the message from the pulpit.

Your individual interpretations and experiences do not contradict the assertion that Christian doctrine tends to suck the spiritual aspect out of life, substitutes a tepid alternate reality filled with spirits as the object of our gratitude and awe, and tells you that you are spiritual for believing it.

Fennario

#575160 Dec 19, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We care very much about what they do, and aim to modify it. For example, many or most unbelievers want them to stop using the currency as a religious tract, and use it to pay taxes on their churches instead.
Susie D wrote:
Maybe you could ask for a compromise.
I just want proper oversight of the church's books by the IRS, and I want the churches helping to pay to provide the services that they also consume.
Susie D wrote:
You see I pay taxes just the same as you do. I have a right to decide just as you where my money goes.
I wasn't discussing your taxes. I'm interested in that 71 billion a year that the churches aren't paying.
Susie D wrote:
If 90% of America believes in God in one form or another, then cut taxes going to churches or religious organizations by 10% which represents your majority.
That's not how it works. For starters, taxes don't go to churches.

And so what how many people believe in a god? That's not a reason for churches to get tax breaks. If they want roads leading to the church, and fire protection services, let them pay for it along with the rest of us.
Susie D wrote:
In the same aspect of paying for abortions out of tax dollars; should I have a say just the same for something I do not agree with?
Abortion clinics should also pay their fair share of taxes. What you're discussing - government spending - is a different topic.
Susie D wrote:
If you completely take tax revenue from Churches then you offed religious groups so the answer is not easy.
Offend religious groups? Sorry. Everybody's so delicate these days. I think they'll recover from the offense.

Fennario

#575161 Dec 19, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
You just bukakied your abortion-on-demand stance into the ground.
What a beautiful soul you are - such a spring flower.

“What game?”

Location hidden

#575162 Dec 19, 2012
<quoted text>
What a beautiful soul you are - such a spring flower.
She is a man. I doubted it before but I don't now. I had to look up bukakies.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#575163 Dec 19, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're not Laconic Asshat? Silent Assclown? Oscar Wildes One?
Cool
I'm not opposed to it.
Nope, I am me

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#575164 Dec 19, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
She is a man. I doubted it before but I don't now. I had to look up bukakies.
I disagree. I am not sure but I think that I know who had to inform her what a bukaki was...

Fennario

#575165 Dec 19, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
You said that you do not know what "spiritual" and "spiritual concept" is
No I did not. What I said was,

"Disagree, even without knowing precisely what you mean by "spiritual " or "a spiritual concept."
Laconic Assassins wrote:
you can not measure or even know what I know about it.
I can assess your understanding of any topic to the extent that you have revealed some of the things that you believe about it.
Laconic Assassins wrote:
I absolutely know and understand [spirituality], for I know that our physical body is no more than our avatar which allows us to maneuver within this planet.
There's a little peak at how we can measure your understanding of things right there.

First, you cannot possibly know the things you just claimed to know, and with absolute certainty. Even if that's true about the body being an avatar for an independently existing immaterial self, you can't know it. You have no special senses or faculties to know things not knowable to the rest of us, and no special access to information, no matter what your priests told you.

Second, you immediately confused spirituality with spirits - human in this case. Spirituality has nothing to do with ghosts, or spirit worlds, or holy spirits. It's a psychological experience characterized by feelings of gratitude and awe, a sense of the mysterious, and a sense of connectivity with others and with the world.

So yes, I certainly can assess your concept of spirituality to some degree.

Fennario

#575166 Dec 19, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
I have been born again and born of the spirit, and in that moment I understood what I was, because I became it and it was me. Nothing psychological bud, my psyche resisted it and my physical at first did not wish to submit.
Nothing psychological? OK.
Laconic Assassins wrote:
I also understand the spiritual realm that real witches dive into and are eventually consumed by.
Real witches? Spiritual realm? OK.
Laconic Assassins wrote:
Funny, your group believes that when you die you turn to dirt and dust, when that is the simplicity of beginning that you were told about in Genesis. You simply forgot where the life component came from and therefore you lost all sense of self.
Genesis is wrong.

Fennario

#575167 Dec 19, 2012
Susie D wrote:
Lighten up means this is not the real world; it is a forum not to be taken so seriously. This is for entertainment and if you actually believe Topix can change the world then you have fallen and hit your head.
How is this not the real world?

Topix is for whatever purpose its users choose, within the boundaries of its terms of service
Susie D wrote:
.. Man up means stop being so defensive, again this is all for fun...
Whatever you intended it to mean, you were whining when you posted it, which is why I mentioned it.
Susie D wrote:
I do not actually believe in organized religion and you refuse to get that in your head.
You promote Christianity, which makes you part of the body of Christians - the church. It doesn't matter that you don't attend a meeting every Sunday. You are part of a social phenomenon called the Christian church. Apparently you and RiversideRedneck are unfamiliar with this usage. Neither of you needs to tell me again that you don't attend a church.

“What game?”

Location hidden

#575168 Dec 19, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, I am me
Me too.

John Cleese on how to be a troll.

“What game?”

Location hidden

#575169 Dec 19, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree. I am not sure but I think that I know who had to inform her what a bukaki was...
He knew, I didn't.

Whatever you like as long as you keep it to yourself and I don't have to clean up.

Fennario

#575170 Dec 19, 2012
Christianity is atrophying away in the West quite rapidly. Once it has shrunken to irrelevance, it will never hold sway again. Why? Because humanists will be the ones establishing societal norms, and our opinion of your church is about the same as its opinion of atheism. When the church had the podium, it marginalized unbelief. I don't see how believers can avoid being driven into the closet that the gays and atheists will vacate. You might not like it, but I'm sure that you see both the inevitability and the fairness in that.
BadBreathBruce wrote:
You are right. Christianity has probably reached its peak in popularity at this time, but atheism/humanism is RAPIDLY on the increase. I can imagine that in about 30 - 35 years time (around 2040), there would be very few, if any, Christians around.
That's approximately the time that America is expected to go to an irreligious majority,based on trends over the last few decades. But even then, America will still be almost 50% Christians.

Christians tell me that Christianity is growing in Africa and Asia. I haven't tried to verify that, but it seems plausible. If so, the number of Christians in the world might rise even as America and the West are going the other way.
BadBreathBruce wrote:
The great majority of people will be adherents of atheism, and practically every Christian church will either be demolished, or coverted to a building for some other purpose.
The cathedrals are pretty nice. Many in Europe are being used as opera halls and auditoriums.
BadBreathBruce wrote:
You're right, other Xians and myself WILL be driven into the closet and will have to go underground.
"The closet" for Christians merely means that many people will mock your beliefs if you share them or try to proselytize, and that you may have to keep your beliefs private if you want to run for public office. You might also have trouble adopting.

"British court says Christian couple can't be foster parents due to beliefs" http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/britis...

Fennario

#575171 Dec 19, 2012
BadBreathBruce wrote:
The Bible will be banned from possession/distribution/sale, and every Christian will go through great persecution for their faith.
Did this just turn into a persecution party?

I promise you that nobody will be stoned, burned, impaled, stretched, or twisted. Humanists don't hold Inquisitions.

Seriously - what do you Christians want from an irreligious majority apart from the right to worship privately? What else do you feel entitled to? Your religion should be like your sex life: personal and private. Flaming Christians may experience some disapproval.
BadBreathBruce wrote:
I gotta hand it to you atheists/humanists - you've got us Christians by the balls!!
We're pretty fair people.

Fennario

#575172 Dec 19, 2012
BadBreathBruce wrote:
God. HE is the origin of life, mind, and intelligence. Why is it so hard to accept that?? Pride??
"God"? That's Jehovah-Jesus to you, right? That god is impossible.

Other gods? Maybe. But I can't accept any such claim without evidence and a good argument. "Maybe" isn't enough.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#575173 Dec 19, 2012
The whole bible is a parable.
Wrong, again.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#575174 Dec 19, 2012
boooots wrote:
I agree in principle that religious groups shouldn't have tax exemptions, yet I know if they didn't have them they would collapse very quickly and I am not sure that is the best way to get rid of them.
I disagree about them failing for having to pay taxes, or that that would be a reason for them to not pay them. I'll bet that plenty of businesses that couldn't keep their doors open could have survived if they didn't have to pay taxes.

Also, the purpose of taxing the church is not to get rid of them. It's asking them to pay their fair share of the cost of running a community.
boooots wrote:
Believers exemplified by many here are a real evil in the world, but I don't think the majority of believers are represented by the fanaticals here. These people mainly represent the slimy underbelly of belief, not the true caring people who make up some of many congregations.
Why do you think that the Christians posting here aren't a reasonable cross-section of Christianity? I don't have the opportunity to interview the ones I meet in meat space to the same degree that I do here, so there is really no way for me to judge how typical or atypical these people are.

Which are the worst here? Just Results, Flagler Beach and Laconic Assassin are three pretty poor products of their church. What do you think you would know about them if you worked with them or knew them through the Rotary club, for example? You may actually encounter many people like them and never know it.

Fennario

#575175 Dec 19, 2012
Susie D wrote:
If you are trying to get me to see a differnt veiw by trying to get me to see something you see and I do not, then the interchange is pointless.
That's a remarkable admission. How do you define a closed mind?
bibleNews

AOL

#575176 Dec 19, 2012

*****ISRAEL -- POPE negotiate MIDEAST PEACE

&fe ature=plcp

Fennario

#575177 Dec 19, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You were discussing discipline. You didn't specify that you were only discussing self-discipline until now.
My involvement in the discussion began when I disagreed with Susie after she posted that "discipline is not punishment." I don't believe that you thought that I meant self-discipline, which is not discipline at all. Self-discipline is synonymous with self-control, and means that you don't need to be disciplined.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min River Tam 92,719
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 54 min MUQ2 286,086
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 57 min MUQ2 46,040
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr MUQ2 1,101
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr truth 667,942
London TV viewers fixed on trump Inaugural process 3 hr truth 7
rajkot to chotila gey sex (Nov '15) 4 hr raj 37
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr lisw 183,629
More from around the web