Prove there's a god.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#574688 Dec 18, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Morality doesn't change. It may have been acceptable for a time to segregate people but it wasn't moral then and it's not now. What's acceptable today may be immoral tomorrow but what's moral today was always moral and always will be.
You know what's right. You can't always make it right but you know the difference.
Then where does morality come from? If morality doesn't change what defines it? Morals are a personal thing for each individual. To claim that there is a "universal morality" is to claim that there is a universal moral judge, a god like figure.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#574689 Dec 18, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Then where does morality come from? If morality doesn't change what defines it? Morals are a personal thing for each individual. To claim that there is a "universal morality" is to claim that there is a universal moral judge, a god like figure.
Obviously not from a god like figure.

Obviously not from a god like figure that kills randomly.

Morality comes when you face that which terrifies you without killing it. It comes when you realize that there is no "one" society. Morality comes when you pick up the spider and look into it's eyes and eyes and eyes and understand that it is far more afraid of you than you are of it. Morality comes from understanding.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#574690 Dec 18, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously not from a god like figure.
Obviously not from a god like figure that kills randomly.
Morality comes when you face that which terrifies you without killing it. It comes when you realize that there is no "one" society. Morality comes when you pick up the spider and look into it's eyes and eyes and eyes and understand that it is far more afraid of you than you are of it. Morality comes from understanding.
That is your personal form of morality. Not everyone shares that concept. To say that they should is to try and force others into your belief of right and wrong.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#574691 Dec 18, 2012
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/darwin-et...
How Science Can Help Us Be More Rational About Morality(What Sam Harris gets wrong about the evolution of moral systems.)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/20090...
Mystery of Disgust

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-paren...
Why Teaching Values Isn't Enough

just sayin'

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#574692 Dec 18, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is your personal form of morality. Not everyone shares that concept. To say that they should is to try and force others into your belief of right and wrong.
Not really. I can step on the spider as easily as you can. I choose not to. I can step on the god as easily as you can. I choose not to. The point is, we all come from the same.

Whether it's the God or the Shardik or the Big Bang. We're all heading into oblivion together. Instead of killing me, just hold my hand and enjoy the ride.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#574693 Dec 18, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. I can step on the spider as easily as you can. I choose not to. I can step on the god as easily as you can. I choose not to. The point is, we all come from the same.
Whether it's the God or the Shardik or the Big Bang. We're all heading into oblivion together. Instead of killing me, just hold my hand and enjoy the ride.
So, what you are saying is that our morals are different?
Why would I kill you? I am mostly pacifistic until necessary. You do not pose a threat to me or my familiy so I have no issue with you... other than the difference in morals thing.
:)

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#574694 Dec 18, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
Then where does morality come from? If morality doesn't change what defines it? Morals are a personal thing for each individual. To claim that there is a "universal morality" is to claim that there is a universal moral judge, a god like figure.
Morality comes from evolution. We are motivated by a survival imperative. That motivation doesn't guarantee we'll do the best possible job following that imperative. We also end up being concerned about things that have almost no effect on our survival as individuals or as a species. This is also where we get love, lust, hunger, pain, joy, sadness, fear...etc.

We can make preferential judgements about morality. We can say that one moral system is superior to another. We can say that the system that condones slavery is morally inferior to the one that condemns it. If we define morality as having something to do with the quality of life, we can demonstrate that one system does a better job promoting a higher quality of life than another. The ability to make these types of comparisons, if extrapolated, gives us a system to measure morality. It has to start with some basic agreements about what is better and what is worse, but I don't think that will be difficult.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#574695 Dec 18, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Morality comes from evolution. We are motivated by a survival imperative. That motivation doesn't guarantee we'll do the best possible job following that imperative. We also end up being concerned about things that have almost no effect on our survival as individuals or as a species. This is also where we get love, lust, hunger, pain, joy, sadness, fear...etc.
We can make preferential judgements about morality. We can say that one moral system is superior to another. We can say that the system that condones slavery is morally inferior to the one that condemns it. If we define morality as having something to do with the quality of life, we can demonstrate that one system does a better job promoting a higher quality of life than another. The ability to make these types of comparisons, if extrapolated, gives us a system to measure morality. It has to start with some basic agreements about what is better and what is worse, but I don't think that will be difficult.
Did you interpret my comment as I was saying that morality comes from a god?
If so the refer to here.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
Love, lust, hunger, pain, joy, sadness, fear...etc. are the foundations in which we define our own individual morality. Just like one person is turned on by whips and chains and another is not. Morality is dictacted by our emotions. What feels good and right by the individual. Determining a universal social morality is the same as determining a universal favorite food or sexual position for the populace... because it is only the right way to do things. Everyone knows that anything other than missionary is immoral and should be condemned by society.
Greens - Tuf

Annandale, Australia

#574696 Dec 18, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Did you interpret my comment as I was saying that morality comes from a god?
If so the refer to here.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
Love, lust, hunger, pain, joy, sadness, fear...etc. are the foundations in which we define our own individual morality. Just like one person is turned on by whips and chains and another is not. Morality is dictacted by our emotions. What feels good and right by the individual. Determining a universal social morality is the same as determining a universal favorite food or sexual position for the populace... because it is only the right way to do things. Everyone knows that anything other than missionary is immoral and should be condemned by society.
Ya !! Did somebody say "emotions"?
That's what its all about.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#574697 Dec 18, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
these religitards NEVER make any sense,thats the results of xian brainwashing...
www.evilbible.com
This is the sadness of atheism.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

#574698 Dec 18, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Since being gay is totally on par with murder. Even if it is a mental illness (it isn't),
You're right, homosexuality is not a mental disease. That is because it is a sin.
Greens - Tuf

Northmead, Australia

#574699 Dec 18, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
"We are motivated by a survival imperative."
Where does your motivation come from? Sounds like a positive place. Sounds like a place with purpose.
We inherited are lust for survival from the Aether, we are doing a job for the Aether in this form. As pure non destructive energy it is not surprising that we have morals.
Greens - Tuf

Northmead, Australia

#574700 Dec 18, 2012
What if as pure non-destructive energy we created this illusion world of particles where everybody was given a free will and told to go forth and have one hell of a time.
This is where morals or the test comes into play.
Only in a material world can bad energy be on display. It can be observed and than delt with on the other side.
Bad energy would simply be destroyed upon return.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#574701 Dec 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Baby born in the cold and outside.
Big fat guy in a red suit giving out toys.
Flying reindeer.
Myrrh as a gift.
Elves.
... and being generous only once a year is pretty insane too.
The war on christmas:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-decembe...

This is a must see.

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

...I whispered to my coffee

#574702 Dec 18, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, homosexuality is not a mental disease. That is because it is a sin.
You are a mental disease and you are sin personified. You accuse people not on fact but on you own prejudices. You make decisions for people that you do not know. You dream that you know the word of your and that word is coincidentally exactly the same as you want it to be. You are sick in the head, get help.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

#574703 Dec 18, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a mental disease and you are sin personified. You accuse people not on fact but on you own prejudices. You make decisions for people that you do not know. You are sick in the head, get help.
Projection.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#574704 Dec 18, 2012
TLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on our current rate of crime expansion, I think there are more atheists infesting our communities than we realize.
http://www.holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#574705 Dec 18, 2012
Greens - Tuf wrote:
What if as pure non-destructive energy we created this illusion world of particles where everybody was given a free will and told to go forth and have one hell of a time.
This is where morals or the test comes into play.
Only in a material world can bad energy be on display. It can be observed and than delt with on the other side.
Bad energy would simply be destroyed upon return.
Explain further? I can't really understand what you're getting at... Idealism? Or dualism?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#574706 Dec 18, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I could rebut this, but reasoning with you is futile, so I won't.
It's best if you just drop it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#574707 Dec 18, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. Man is real. Gods are not.
<quoted text>
France. The country that made the U.S.A possible? You hate that you would be British if not for France, right?
That's it! You've got me all figured out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Chicagoan by Birth 51,701
Who are you voting for March 24th.. City council?? 11 min Joejowiseman 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Michael 693,160
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 42 min Peter Ross 445,966
when will i be able to dip after wisdom teeth r... (Jan '13) 1 hr bigLips 27
THE WHITAKER FAMILY of ODD, WV (Sep '11) 1 hr They eat people 81
Glass and blood in hotel was O.J. trying to set... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
More from around the web