#573712 Dec 15, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
THE TOP FIVE PET PEEVES OF UNICORNS
http://www.littlefivers.com/pets/pet-peeves-o... [edited]
[5] Narwhals. Those copycat bastards.
[4] Breech births.
[3] Stupid sneeze guards on the salad bar at Bonanza.
[2] Motorcycle helmet laws.
and the Number 1 Pet Peeve of Unicorns…
[1] The automatic assumption that you have a natural skill at
trash pickup.
Breech births! Ahahahah.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#573713 Dec 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You have not read what i have given you. If you did you would know there is far more than biblical claims. You have nothing from ancient history which states the Exodus did not happen. It is a modern assumption with no ancient precidents. Besides all that if you match up the Biblical accounts with the Egyptian accounts then it all works out. Modern Scholarship points out a difference in dates and then go from there. They make fixed assumptions about the dates and then claim the accounts have nothing to do with each other.
So your assertion is that when the bible tells us one thing and modern science tells us another, we should go with the bible every time?

I can see how you are able to remain a christian with that kind of logic.

Location hidden

#573714 Dec 15, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
I followed a link on that page to "fox news insider" and I found a bunch of people actually defending his comments, and defending god's right to allow the slaughter of a classroom full of children. Looks like you were right - there really are people stupid enough to agree with him.

Location hidden

#573715 Dec 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You keep repeating that. As if you print it enough times, like a mantra it will be true. Your contempt does not falsify anything. It only demonstrates your contempt. <quoted text> A boatload of evidence to the contrary. The execution of Jesus was not mythical. It was actual. If you believe the execution of Jesus was mythical then you are at odds with majority scholarship which includes atheists, agnostics, Muslems, and majority of humans in general. They may differ on who Jesus was. They do not differ on existence.
<quoted text> Actually it is a poor example. This is, however Topix and the bar is not that high. Your posts along with your hypocrisy fits in nicely. It is up to you how you construct your posts. If you want to present yourself as a bottom feeder, well who am i to argue?
Share with us this "boatload."

Location hidden

#573716 Dec 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
You and that killer have one thing in common. He believed he would not face judgement as do you. His act was atheistic in that sense. If he did believe he would have to answer to God then he would not have done it. That is my take on it. Murder is murder.
LOL. Don't you guys ever get tired of the "one true scotsman" fallacy?

Location hidden

#573717 Dec 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah it does not mean anything because you are on the losing side of that argument.
''One could easily argue that the Bible is the most important book in the history of western civilization. What other books come close in terms of historical, social, and cultural significance? Who (Besides IANS) wouldn't want to know more about a book that has transformed millions of lives and affected entire civilizations?...It is important for all of us--at least for all of us interesred in human history, society and culture.''
''One could argue as well that Jesus is the most important person in the history of the west,(Jesus means nothing to IANS) looked at from a historical, social, and cultural perspective, quite apart from his religious significance.''
Bart Ehrman.(Agnostic leaning towards atheism) Did Jesus Exist. p.95.
So can we assume that there is also a heaven for muslims - seeing as the Quran has been so significant as to help create the second most popular religion?

Location hidden

#573718 Dec 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is right. if the information is true or accurate then the source does not matter. Keep that in mind and use it. If you have teachers and they question your sources then you know what to say to them. They cannot refute the truth of your claim by discrediting the source. Truth claims cannot be refuted if they are true. Truth wins out every time!
So if you already have decided something is true, and the only source you can find for it is extremely questionable, you don't care? So long as it confirms your own personal version of the "truth," right? By your logic, if I had a strong belief in Zeus, and I found an old manuscript that seemed to confirm his existence, I would be justified in calling Zeus a real god no matter how questionable this manuscript was.

“Proud Member”

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#573719 Dec 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What disturbs me about all civilizations is that they arose because of the controlled use of force by government. The government has a monopoly on violence and that is what allows its citizens to lead peaceful lives.
Isn't that crazy???
That isn't true , the theory civilization was born from war is wrong.
It didn't start that way , to prove it they had to find an untainted original civilization. One was finally found and the evidence shows it was peaceful , somehow greed took over though and they became the way you describe.

Caral proves civilization was born without the restraints we placed on it. It's sad it has become that way , perhaps it is the rivalry between different ones that made it become that way.

Location hidden

#573720 Dec 15, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
JR. The evil a hole that did this was mentally unstable or so were told. We don't know if he was atheist or not. I prefer to wait for the information rather than rely on a knee jerk response. His judgement for what he did to these beautiful babies is now in the hands of God and accusing the atheists for what this asswipe did is as undeserving as accusing Christians of being responsible for what some crazy people may have done in the past as well. Lets use common sense.
Don't you dare speak about common sense to him! Atheists are responsible for all the evil in the world, and that's all there is to it.
interesting snails bit me

Dallas, TX

#573721 Dec 15, 2012
too often I find religion bashers(Christianity bashers)popping up in forums and social sites,posting challenges or just plain nasty comments.i've found that most strong Christian or jesus bashers are liberals who are outraged by conservative viewpoints and for some reason equate conservativeism with christianity.thusly they go after the Christian person who believes that smoking pot shouldn't be legalized,that prostitution shouldn't be legalized,that abortion is sin,that homosexuality is sin,etc..they're enraged by what they consider as being haters and like I said,they equate hater and conservativism with being a Christian.bill mahr is a premium example.can you imagine any adult that dedicates his entire life to vocally bashing religion and conservativism? some people need a hobby,ya know?

Location hidden

#573722 Dec 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Which means that waaasssuuup comes here to talk to Satan. Topix is his place to commune with the devil. I think he wants to take Satan out on a date. Maybe share a cigar and a whisky.
No, god guides him here so that he can see the satanic evil of atheism first hand! Duh.

Location hidden

#573723 Dec 15, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I read Scar's post AFTER I posted.
To answer your question, yes I do have a problem with the act of Slavery or owning another person.
And do you have a problem with your god condoning it? I don't think there's really any way around this - slavery is clearly immoral and your god gave it his seal of approval, yet he is supposed to be perfectly moral.
ijc

Pittsfield, MA

#573724 Dec 15, 2012
Apocalypse666 wrote:
No the point was prove it to be fact.
I believe there is no god because common sense dictates there isn't one.
So if it is a fact then prove it.
Saying you have to believe is no different than Santa Clause.
So prove that god is real and is a factual being.
If he is real then you can prove it.
If he is not then you cannot prove it.
You ask to prove there is God, Prove to me there is not! If On the day of your death you discover there actually is God, would you wish you had lived a better honest and loving life?

Location hidden

#573725 Dec 15, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Also we need to consider what you mean by "higher moral standard" your idea will be different than mine and both of ours will be different from someone a hundred years from now. I can tell you that as I sit here, in my pj's drinking coffee in my comfortable recliner, the thought of slavery is repulsive. What would my thoughts be if I was born in a different time and in a different culture?
Maybe your thoughts would have been different if you were born in a different time and place. But why would god's thoughts be different based on the time and place? Isn't he timeless; isn't he all knowing? Wouldn't he have known, even during the period of time in which slavery was commonplace, that slavery was still wrong? The fact that the bible does not denounce slavery would seem to suggest that either the bible was written by man with no help from god, or that your god is immoral. Both possibilities are troubling for a christian, I think.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#573726 Dec 15, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And do you have a problem with your god condoning it? I don't think there's really any way around this - slavery is clearly immoral and your god gave it his seal of approval, yet he is supposed to be perfectly moral.
As we understand it...

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#573727 Dec 15, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe your thoughts would have been different if you were born in a different time and place. But why would god's thoughts be different based on the time and place? Isn't he timeless; isn't he all knowing? Wouldn't he have known, even during the period of time in which slavery was commonplace, that slavery was still wrong? The fact that the bible does not denounce slavery would seem to suggest that either the bible was written by man with no help from god, or that your god is immoral. Both possibilities are troubling for a christian, I think.
They are troubling, yes.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#573728 Dec 15, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
He said, and I'm paraphrasing, "This is happening because we done took God out of them there school systems. It were bound to happen I say bound to. God should be in school for the learning of our children establish a good proper God in the school I say GOD in the school! I know the microphone is on you dummy now shut up. I say GOD must be protected under the amendments and such! OH LORD!"
Amen.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#573729 Dec 15, 2012
interesting snails bit me wrote:
too often I find religion bashers(Christianity bashers)popping up in forums and social sites,posting challenges or just plain nasty comments.i've found that most strong Christian or jesus bashers are liberals who are outraged by conservative viewpoints and for some reason equate conservativeism with christianity.thusly they go after the Christian person who believes that smoking pot shouldn't be legalized,that prostitution shouldn't be legalized,that abortion is sin,that homosexuality is sin,etc..they're enraged by what they consider as being haters and like I said,they equate hater and conservativism with being a Christian.bill mahr is a premium example.can you imagine any adult that dedicates his entire life to vocally bashing religion and conservativism? some people need a hobby,ya know?

Location hidden

#573730 Dec 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is.
Look at the long-term effects, Tim.
Are you serious? That's absolutely disgusting, and I am not being hyperbolic in the slightest bit. That is atrocious. I am not even sure I can think of a single thing that would justify the deaths of nearly a million completely innocent people - yet you claim that some vague (and untrue) mission to "spread democracy" and "oust a dictator" as adequate justification.

And what long term effects? What do you think we have accomplished there? We created a quagmire in which thousands of americans have lost their lives and many, many times more iraqis have lost theirs. We have engendered hatred toward america in many parts of the world, and even those that don't hate us have come to distrust and dislike us. We have created a breeding ground for "insurgents," and we have created a cause célèbre that extremists around the world can use as recruiting material. The cost to american taxpayers has been astronomical, and it has reduced trust in the american government both home and abroad.

All this so that a few contractors could get filthy rich, so that bush jr. could make his daddy proud by "finishing" bush the elder's job in iraq, so that we could gain access to oil that has now been made more or less irrelevant by the shale fracking industry, and so that we could build and maintain a military base in the middle east (which will only inflame the situation further, imagine if iran invaded canada and built a base there).

Worth it? Really?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#573731 Dec 15, 2012
River Tam wrote:
Amen.
I thought the dude's name was Mike Huckleberry at first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 9 min gundee123 4,940
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 22 min Clearwater 70,139
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 47 min Michael 658,420
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Jake999 282,886
i need a man to get me pregnant no strings atta... (Dec '12) 1 hr good guy with love 71
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr Poppyann 2,994
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Jake999 45,581
More from around the web