Prove there's a god.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#573209 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
your guys' slander against God & HIs Word is so weak!
once and for all - God put some restrictions around the common practice of slavery for the Jews. the rest of the pagan world were using and abusing slaves with no restricitons whatsoever.
if the Lord tarries much longer, PETA nut-bar ideology will probably prevail in the future and the past practice of owning & neutoring pets will seem barbaric. so why do you do it?
Your God is weak. He "put some restrictions on...slavery."

Hello?!? Helmut, do you hear me? That's like Great Britain telling Nazi Germany "Ok, you can have Poland and France, but that's it. No more. And be nice to those people! Or else!"

What an imaginative piss-ant wimp you worship.

Some stable somewhere

#573210 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you should be talking to the africans about slavery. those people still practice it in their country!
Yes, as Christians and as part of the Global System.

You still haven't answered: do you buy chocolate?

Some stable somewhere

#573211 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! did you get a nobel for this! i'm sure you have proof that the Bible is false, that there are no Jews or Christians and such???
The Nobel committee already knows the Bible isn't historically accurate and doesn't portray reality. IANS won't be getting a Nobel for commonly held and understood knowledge.

Are you every living in the dark ages.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#573212 Dec 14, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>i got the one of your mom and the other of Ken Curtis. But no Boooots! Even though you are not a church goer, you must be very proud of your mom as she sings her heart out. It made me smile.:)
I was actually amazed (the video doesn't do her justice). She is a little frail woman, probably about 100 lbs, and I think fairly modest and self-effacing, but she sang that song, she said because she wanted to express a message to the people. She looked right at everyone and had a big smile, and really belted it out. Her voice, IMO, has not changed in most of the years I have known her. Many elderly people sound like old people, but even when talking to her on the phone, she sounds to me the same as she always has. Of course, she is in the choir, which likely, in that video was only about 3 or 4 people, every Sunday, and has been singing all her life. Her minister sister, when they were girls, used to sing together, and summer of 2011 there was a school reunion for people who had attended the now closed one room school in our community (my grandparents right down to most of my siblings went there. I think it closed around 1969 or 1970), and my mother and her sister sang at a church service held outdoors at the old school site, which now has a new building on it which is a community hall (granted a bit of a waste of money as the community has now amalgamated with the adjoining community and share one council, etc., and also has its own buildings too).

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#573213 Dec 14, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Your rants against God [are] nothing new or original.
But a quality rebuttal to any of them would be.
lightbeamrider wrote:
That is why the Psalmist wrote around 3000 years ago ....Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing?
I'm guessing that you think that there is wisdom in that. I can assure you that there is nothing there, just a piece of vapid and superficial prose. There is no substance there.

Yet you appear to be offering it to us as if it were more. You seem to assume that it must be wise, because it comes from your bible. Is this correct or close?

Fennario

#573214 Dec 14, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Unbelievers here keep putting forth i am defending slavery as depicted in Scripture when in reality it is only pointed out as a fact in ancient cultures and i don't know why folks like you are unable to comprehend the distinction. This has been addressed time and again and responses ignored.
The criticism of you isn't that you're defending slavery, but that you're defending the indifference of a god that can't be bothered to care about slavery as much as he cared about people not wearing cotton-wool blends.

The principle objection, however, is to your bible's ethical code, not you. Those ethics belie the claim that they come from a god. That's what we want people to see: that your book was not written by a god, and the god described in it is not good.

Location hidden

#573215 Dec 14, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Booots! I got your link to work. You sound exactly as I expected. I enjoyed the video and your singing. Talent runs in your family!
Thanks for telling me that, as I was about to ask you if that is what you meant, in the preceding post, or your 'but no Boooots' was just an exclamation referring to your comments on my mother's video.:) Actually I tend to sound, to me, as if I have a cold or throat cancer (have neither), because my voice is sort of gravelly in those ones, I think, which is not how I perceive it. I think I tend to get a bit hoarse because I don't sing all that much, and so doing it right through a song, several times, sort of irritates my throat/voice box.
Anon

Cleveland, OH

#573216 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
umm, here's the deal - God never left the earth; He resides in His people through His Spirit. "you will not see Me again until you can say "blessed is he who comes in the Name of the Lord"" Jesus
God didn't send His Son to judge and condemn, but to put an end to sin & conflict in those who believe in His Atonement.
i'm here for you, partner, but you're gonna have to lose your antagonistic edge before this will work for you:)
Ummm. no thanks, partner. I don't consider self-delusion a virtue.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#573217 Dec 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I'm talking about!
These are the kinds of comments that I believe that many of us once felt inhibited about making. Before the Internet, we had trouble finding one another and sharing our feelings, and no safe place to express them to Christians and the general public if we did. Nor was it so apparent how ugly this church and the type of people it produces are. Like their god, they hate so much, even as they talk about love.
That in not OK. In my opinion, we all have an obligation to push this church back. It has angrily asserted its vile moral code for millennia. Don't we have the right and duty to take a firm stand against that?
.. we have a duty to identify and confront injustice whenever we see or read it, to speak of fairness, understanding, compassion and equality ..

.. nobody has the right to tell someone they are immoral based solely on their belief or non-belief system. For me, the Abrahamic God of the OT is amoral and condones a system that approves of fear, slavery, misogyny and genocide while condemning true spirituality, equality and understanding ..

.. if we continue to walk down the path paved by an ancient culture whose laws are antiquated, the outcome is inevitable. Both sides must consider where we're headed; a world wherein two major Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam) fight for control and both are defeated .

.. will religious leaders ensure prophecy? Is that what we want for ourselves, our children, our grandchildren ??..

.. the mark of total brainwashing is the endorsement or defense of any injustice such as slavery ..

Location hidden

#573218 Dec 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
condescend
1a : to descend to a less formal or dignified level
b : to waive the privileges of rank
[I don't see that happening with you and me.]
condescend
2 : to assume an air of superiority
[Sorry if that showed, though I confess that I don't really try very hard to conceal contempt when I feel it.]
Maybe he/she was putting more emphasis on my pryckhood than yours.:)

Fennario

#573219 Dec 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Your addressing of slavery was "God is so powerless, He has to embrace slavery because lots of societies did at that time."
So...your whole point was that God reflects the societies that wrote about Him.

That's not a surprise for us atheists. We know that your deity, that all deities, are the product of human imagination. Of course people from a culture that embraces slavery are going to write about a deity who embraces slavery.
Nicely stated.

"Belief in a cruel god makes a cruel man." - Thomas Paine.

“O'si yo!”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#573220 Dec 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. God did neither ordain not bless slavery in Genesis 9:25-26. Before quoting scripture you must first understand it. See Gen 9:24, also.
24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
26 And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
1A. See "servant, not slave.
1B. See Noah said, not God said.
2. I agree, but that is a relative statement.
3. Your logic is actually illogical.
don't waste your time trying to explain morality to HL.
your safe bet is to totally ignor her, as i have because she is trouble with a capital T.

the more you stir in poop the worse it stinks.

With Established Harem

#573221 Dec 14, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Unbelievers here keep putting forth i am defending slavery as depicted in Scripture when in reality it is only pointed out as a fact in ancient cultures and i don't know why folks like you are unable to comprehend the distinction. This has been addressed time and again and responses ignored.
.. are you saying you do not defend or justify slavery as depicted in the scriptures ??..

“O'si yo!”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#573222 Dec 14, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>That IS their agenda; to have no opposition.
exxactly. you are very right.
To squeeze out every smidgen of light so they can folly in their darkness with no guilt or remorse.

Let your light shine brightly no matter who tries to put it out.

Fennario

#573223 Dec 14, 2012
scambuster wrote:
Hmm... Your logic is pretty sound, and I can't argue with it!
Thanks! Hope that helped.

I don't know where that "you can't prove a negative" thing comes from. It's a widely held opinion, but obviously incorrect.

Sure, there is a class of negative statements that cannot be proven, such as any statement that is logically possible and which applies to too large a space or time to check, or one which refers to indistinctly defined entities like gods and the supernatural.

But it's pretty easy to prove that there's no mail in the mailbox - a negative. Why would we ever think otherwise?

With Established Harem

#573224 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
once and for all - God put some restrictions around the common practice of slavery for the Jews. the rest of the pagan world were using and abusing slaves with no restricitons whatsoever.
if the Lord tarries much longer, PETA nut-bar ideology will probably prevail in the future and the past practice of owning & neutoring pets will seem barbaric. so why do you do it?
.. weak ??..

.. when you come to my door parched, I will offer you a glass of water ..

.. when you come to my door hungry, I will offer you bread ..

.. when you come to my door as a slave, I will free you ..

.. I will not tell you what I can and cannot do with my slaves because you are a free man ..

Fennario

#573225 Dec 14, 2012
scambuster wrote:
Disagreeing, or even mocking a person's belief system is not a human rights violation in any way.
Then you're saying that if somebody writes, "Jebus" instead of "Jesus," we shouldn't necessarily alert Amnesty International right away?

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#573226 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
I never neuter my spiders.

Location hidden

#573227 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! did you get a nobel for this! i'm sure you have proof that the Bible is false, that there are no Jews or Christians and such???
What does the existence of Jews and Christians have to do with the Bible, other than these groups use the Bible as their textbook? There are a lot of Buddhists and Hindus and others too, but does that mean their God and their books are truth?

Personally, I see the number of people following the Christian faith (Jews are a tiny population so they don't really compare to the larger religions) as a comment on how well promoted, and forced on other people that religion has been.

Much of Christianity was spread from its origins by the sword, so it isn't exactly as if it was spread so much because it is the truth as it was a means of the people not being killed initially. Christianity, IMO, has endured mainly due to the fantasy of eternal torture, which most people, cannot allow themselves to look at objectively, because frankly it is such a terrible thing to imagine. It does not, though, speak at all of a benevolent God.

Fennario

#573228 Dec 14, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
Can we at least call them dumb phuques once in a while.
Why not? I don't think they could mind too much if they're still spreading anti-science disinformation and their church's message of hatred for gays and atheists so shamelessly and unapologetically.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Buck Crick 49,640
Just HOW angry is Satan??? 5 min Truthiness 27
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 52 min Tony 6,063
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr hojo 647,074
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Barnsweb 445,762
4 Best book to learn CPA 2 hr VPNproxy 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr Steve III 44,730
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr WasteWater 105,691
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 7 hr Jockfullonutz 28
More from around the web