Prove there's a god.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#573196 Dec 14, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. why did you change focus from slavery to homosexuality and eternal salvation? Should we request an impartial moderator ??..
Synopsis
1. God ordained and blessed slavery in Genesis 9:25-26 (The Curse of Ham).
2. Any form of slavery is immoral.
3. Logically, the Abrahamic God is immoral.
.. don't lecture me on morals when you protect, defend and justify the immoral practice of slavery condoned by your God ..
your guys' slander against God & HIs Word is so weak!

once and for all - God put some restrictions around the common practice of slavery for the Jews. the rest of the pagan world were using and abusing slaves with no restricitons whatsoever.

if the Lord tarries much longer, PETA nut-bar ideology will probably prevail in the future and the past practice of owning & neutoring pets will seem barbaric. so why do you do it?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#573197 Dec 14, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. rebutted each of your justifications for slavery, found all invalid. No defense can overcome the simple fact that slavery is immoral and that the Abrahamic God endorses it ..
.. instead of addressing my points, you decided to change focus and pursue a personal attack because your belief system requires absolute adherence to a certain dogma and the implementation of any diversionary tactic when faced with a contradiction or dilemma. You did not offend me. Did I offend you by pointing out your posting maneuver ??..
.. of course I have an agenda. Who doesn't ??..
you should be talking to the africans about slavery. those people still practice it in their country!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#573198 Dec 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
only make clear just how twisted your god's "morality" is, because he is necessarily responsible for the circumstances that required his judgement.
It's interesting that the people that talk about atheists fleeing accountability so much don't hold themselves or their god accountable ever. They think that they can forgive themselves of anything on demand by muttering at the ceiling fan, and they excuse the god of any and all failures, generally blaming man for those.

Check out this disgusting patch: "Christians aren't perfect ... just forgiven" http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yno00H2xcXw/TWaS3LS...

Like hell they are. They're not forgiven just because they claim it on the cheap. Just like the rest of us, they're not forgiven until the person that they transgressed against forgives them.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#573199 Dec 14, 2012
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>Folks like what?
Those who give respect for respect given, like I do for Al because despite his beliefs he does not take on a condescending, know-it-all, evil tone unlike most of you religionists?
Yeah, the hypocrites must be your kind of "folks". Don't worry, [email protected], you have plenty of company.
you haven't respected God or me so i haven't respected you. in fact, you've said some of the most vile things against Christ that i've seen anyone say. that's why i often bypass adressing you and go right for the demon talking through you.

care to start over?:)

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#573200 Dec 14, 2012
ipi wrote:
In my fair opinion, and out of the life experience given me, I'm going to lash out an argument stating that the most judgmental religion I have ever met, is Christianity, with their parochial view.
And I've been a christian for 17 years, please don't tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about. I chose atheism because of this.
It is hard to know the answer to that, for me at least, because I don't know a lot about just how judgmental other religions are. Islam seems to get a lot of bad press for their really abusive laws, at least in certain countries.

I think I am from a background of some very judgmental Christians, but the denomination which I belonged to has become one of the most accepting in the world throughout my lifetime, and I was involved for almost 3 times the number of years as you were. I personally was more judgmental for many years than many of that denomination.

We have experienced on this site some of the most extreme of Christianity which I don't think represents the religion as a whole.

I think western propaganda, likely mainly American propaganda, is trying to make us see Islam as most judgmental, and so I think a lot of us buy into that without really knowing it well.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#573201 Dec 14, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. well done !!..
.. simple words, simple sentence, vast meaning ..
another endoresment from the dark side, Al. it's like the devil saying "keep up the good work, Al, you're helping our cause by fighting with us against those who stand for righteousness"

now Al, i'm not insinuating that everything christians say are right or that it's even said with a right attitiude, but those who are in the Body of Christ are more right when their wrong, because those who are of the kingdom of darkness are wrong even when they may be right on a point. it's a FAMILY thing, Al:)

i love you H L!:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#573202 Dec 14, 2012
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>You are in the business of deluding yourself.
i'm in the business of setting people free from the tyranny of the devil. let me know if/when you're interested:)
Anon

Cleveland, OH

#573203 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
once and for all - God put some restrictions around the common practice of slavery for the Jews. the rest of the pagan world were using and abusing slaves with no restricitons whatsoever.
if the Lord tarries much longer, PETA nut-bar ideology will probably prevail in the future and the past practice of owning & neutoring pets will seem barbaric. so why do you do it?
Your god does seem to be dragging his feet as to when he will return. He often showed his wrath in the past when "sinning" was on a much smaller scale than the present time. No rumblings, no warnings, no nothing. Maybe heaven has a drug problem.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#573204 Dec 14, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do tend to agree with you
the big bang is a religious hypothesis of the beginning of the universe.
and while there apears to be an event at T>/= 0 I do not think it describes the beginning of the universe, and I do expect that very soon it the BB will no longer be associated with the beginning of the universe.
Like most religious hypothesis the BB theory is of very limited interest or instruction.
"professing to be wise, they became as fools"

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#573205 Dec 14, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
your mind is too damaged to understand correctly.
you form your beliefs upon emotionalism. rational skeptics do not.
rational skeptics evaluate
religitards believe
In the context that you employ the concept "belief"
Rational Skeptics do not believe anything.
I reject emotionalism as a way of knowing,
I also reject tribalism as a way of knowing.
I reject religion as a way of knowing
I find mythology interesting, but weak, and certainly not a path to knowledge
i reject your rejection. you should stick to what you know; the habits of public restrooms.

i'm ready for a truce if/when you are:)

Location hidden

#573206 Dec 14, 2012
kelliann wrote:
I was raised in church-all my life--daddy was a deacon in church-momma was a sunday school teacher--I strayed so bad--it aint funny--i became a stripper---I sinned, I drank the beer, I smoked the pot, I been married and divorced---I am a sinner!!!! But--I CAN TELL YOU GOD---JESUS IS REAL!!! MY child's car brokedown...we barely made it to New Middletown Baptist Church, I was at my wits end...The preacher told me he used to be an addict a drinker---he didn't judge me....I can NOT TELL U if JESUS is real--but I can tell u this--I was about to call it and end..I was am still at my wits end...but that preacher there....he makes me want to go to church Sunday, he is sooo real....I am still sinning....but I DO BELIEVE NOW THERE IS A HIGHER POWER
The higher power in your example is the humans that have taken you in and accepted and 'helped' you. I know of a friend who lived a pretty drug filled life, doing a lot of pretty crazy things, yet he is very involved now in a church that keeps expanding its congregation. He and the minister and many others, when it became quite large, separated because some people on their board of directors wanted to run things 'their own way' and they basically fired the minister.

The minister has rebuilt a new congregation in the same general area, and my understanding is that many, if not most, of the people are people, like you described, sort of at the end of their rope, and this church captured/saved them.

But it is still the human element, which these people attach to 'God's love', that is doing this. If you look at them strictly from a theology or religious standpoint, they are pretty shallow, and a lot of it is hype rather than true belief, IMO.

I have seen the very same mentality in the Amway program which sucks people in with promises of great wealth, etc., etc., but for most people it is just a scam.

In the area where I was raised most of the JWs, IMO, were the down and outs of society, and the JWs made them feel wanted, however they do that, but then they have such abusive rules and so on, and end of times thinking, that most other people generally shun them.

The very bottom line, as I see it, anything that happens to us, is completely natural phenomena and things that humans are responsible for. Aside from the 'real' psychological boost of believing that you are going to be helped or gain something by believing in and worshiping God, we have never actually seen 'God' do anything. All we know of God is what the ancient writers wrote about, and then the subsequent 'spreaders' of the faith kept alive, and kept adding to it.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#573207 Dec 14, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that our universe budded from a multiverse. It seems most likely. Such a multiverse may have always existed uncreated, and it need not be conscious.
The least likely explanation for existence is a sentient, volitional, god serving the same role as the multiverse in the above. That is because the most complex life form imaginable is the east likely thing to exist uncreated.
WOW! did you get a nobel for this! i'm sure you have proof that the Bible is false, that there are no Jews or Christians and such???

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#573208 Dec 14, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Your god does seem to be dragging his feet as to when he will return. He often showed his wrath in the past when "sinning" was on a much smaller scale than the present time. No rumblings, no warnings, no nothing. Maybe heaven has a drug problem.
umm, here's the deal - God never left the earth; He resides in His people through His Spirit. "you will not see Me again until you can say "blessed is he who comes in the Name of the Lord"" Jesus

God didn't send His Son to judge and condemn, but to put an end to sin & conflict in those who believe in His Atonement.

i'm here for you, partner, but you're gonna have to lose your antagonistic edge before this will work for you:)

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#573209 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Your God is weak. He "put some restrictions on...slavery."

Hello?!? Helmut, do you hear me? That's like Great Britain telling Nazi Germany "Ok, you can have Poland and France, but that's it. No more. And be nice to those people! Or else!"

What an imaginative piss-ant wimp you worship.

Some stable somewhere

#573210 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you should be talking to the africans about slavery. those people still practice it in their country!
Yes, as Christians and as part of the Global System.

You still haven't answered: do you buy chocolate?

Some stable somewhere

#573211 Dec 14, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! did you get a nobel for this! i'm sure you have proof that the Bible is false, that there are no Jews or Christians and such???
The Nobel committee already knows the Bible isn't historically accurate and doesn't portray reality. IANS won't be getting a Nobel for commonly held and understood knowledge.

Are you every living in the dark ages.

Location hidden

#573212 Dec 14, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>i got the one of your mom and the other of Ken Curtis. But no Boooots! Even though you are not a church goer, you must be very proud of your mom as she sings her heart out. It made me smile.:)
I was actually amazed (the video doesn't do her justice). She is a little frail woman, probably about 100 lbs, and I think fairly modest and self-effacing, but she sang that song, she said because she wanted to express a message to the people. She looked right at everyone and had a big smile, and really belted it out. Her voice, IMO, has not changed in most of the years I have known her. Many elderly people sound like old people, but even when talking to her on the phone, she sounds to me the same as she always has. Of course, she is in the choir, which likely, in that video was only about 3 or 4 people, every Sunday, and has been singing all her life. Her minister sister, when they were girls, used to sing together, and summer of 2011 there was a school reunion for people who had attended the now closed one room school in our community (my grandparents right down to most of my siblings went there. I think it closed around 1969 or 1970), and my mother and her sister sang at a church service held outdoors at the old school site, which now has a new building on it which is a community hall (granted a bit of a waste of money as the community has now amalgamated with the adjoining community and share one council, etc., and also has its own buildings too).

Fennario

#573213 Dec 14, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Your rants against God [are] nothing new or original.
But a quality rebuttal to any of them would be.
lightbeamrider wrote:
That is why the Psalmist wrote around 3000 years ago ....Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing?
I'm guessing that you think that there is wisdom in that. I can assure you that there is nothing there, just a piece of vapid and superficial prose. There is no substance there.

Yet you appear to be offering it to us as if it were more. You seem to assume that it must be wise, because it comes from your bible. Is this correct or close?

Fennario

#573214 Dec 14, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Unbelievers here keep putting forth i am defending slavery as depicted in Scripture when in reality it is only pointed out as a fact in ancient cultures and i don't know why folks like you are unable to comprehend the distinction. This has been addressed time and again and responses ignored.
The criticism of you isn't that you're defending slavery, but that you're defending the indifference of a god that can't be bothered to care about slavery as much as he cared about people not wearing cotton-wool blends.

The principle objection, however, is to your bible's ethical code, not you. Those ethics belie the claim that they come from a god. That's what we want people to see: that your book was not written by a god, and the god described in it is not good.

Location hidden

#573215 Dec 14, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Booots! I got your link to work. You sound exactly as I expected. I enjoyed the video and your singing. Talent runs in your family!
Thanks for telling me that, as I was about to ask you if that is what you meant, in the preceding post, or your 'but no Boooots' was just an exclamation referring to your comments on my mother's video.:) Actually I tend to sound, to me, as if I have a cold or throat cancer (have neither), because my voice is sort of gravelly in those ones, I think, which is not how I perceive it. I think I tend to get a bit hoarse because I don't sing all that much, and so doing it right through a song, several times, sort of irritates my throat/voice box.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min PadMark 673,026
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 11 min Holy Child Jehova... 104,590
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 min Rider on the Storm 184,604
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 14 min blkguylooking 471
Best adult sites (Apr '12) 21 min Eric 9
Want to find a BDSM skype salve for light BDSM (Feb '15) 28 min ZACHSNOW01 11
White Women Feet Smell and Taste! (Jun '12) 42 min jj is cool 35
More from around the web