Prove there's a god.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#573141 Dec 13, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Ahem...I said "many", which may be a little bit of an exaggeration, still...
I'm sure there are quite a few men that never get good at it no matter how much they practice. Some are just naturals or maybe they simply try harder?
Are you talking tantric?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#573142 Dec 13, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
What an interesting question!!!!!!!
A breakthrough for anyone who might be trying to "convert" you (I assure you, I am no such person).
If you can believe the big bang "out of nothing"; why cant you believe the existence of God, who created Himself "out of nothing"?
Is it intellectual bias or just plain hatred for anything that even slightly involves God?
your imaginary god does not bother me one way or the other

I mean, it is silly, but you are welcome to it.

where the objection lies, is the behaviour of those who adopt belief in these vile philosophies.

Location hidden

#573143 Dec 13, 2012
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither I nor God have any real interest in seeing anyone burn anywhere at any time. Christians can hardly even agree on what hell truly is.
The bible says "The wicked shall be TURNED INTO hell, and all the nations that FORGET God" [Psalm 9:17]
That suggests that it is the person that BECOMES HELLISH in himself and in his mind; as opposed to being driven into literal physical fire.
But I think you are being dishonest in saying that you "donpt choose what I find believable".
YOU actually choose what to believe by describing the set of things that you find worthy of belief. How else do you justify the fact that you believe scientific concepts more than religious concept (if you believe any religious concepts at all)?
your mind is too damaged to understand correctly.

you form your beliefs upon emotionalism. rational skeptics do not.

rational skeptics evaluate

religitards believe

In the context that you employ the concept "belief"

Rational Skeptics do not believe anything.

I reject emotionalism as a way of knowing,
I also reject tribalism as a way of knowing.

I reject religion as a way of knowing

I find mythology interesting, but weak, and certainly not a path to knowledge

Location hidden

#573144 Dec 13, 2012
JOEL wrote:
SCIENCE - NO WHERE NEAR SOLVING THE QUESTION OF THE ORIGINS:
PART 1:
One of the greatest problems faced by the Big Bang theorists is that although they are attempting to explain the "origin of the universe," the origin they propose is mathematically indescribable.
According to the standard Big Bang theories, the initial condition of the universe was a point of infinitesimal circumference and infinite density and temperature.
An initial condition such as this is beyond mathematical description.
Nothing can be said about it.
Quite literally, therefore, the big bang theory is in trouble right from the very start.
While the difficulty about the initial singularity is ignored or glossed over in popular accounts of the big bang, it is recognized as a major stumbling block in the more technical accounts by scientists attempting to deal with its actual mathematical implications.
Stephen Hawking and G.F.R. ElliS in their authoritative book The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time point out:
"It seems to be a good principle that the prediction of a singularity by a physical theory indicates that the theory has broken down." They add, "The results we have obtained support the idea that the universe began a finite time ago. However the actual point of creation, the singularity, is outside the scope of presently known laws of physics."
Any explanation of the origin of the universe that begins with something physically indescribable as the initial singularity is certainly open to question.
The inflationary model of the universe provides a possible mechanism by which the observed universe could have evolved from an infinitesimal region.
The literal "nothing" is a hypothetical quantum- mechanical vacuum state occurring in a still-to-be-formulated ultimate grand unified theory combining the equations of both quantum mechanics and general relativity. In other words, this vacuum state cannot now be described, even theoretically.
However, physicists have already come up with a description of a simpler kind of quantum-mechanical vacuum state, which can be visualized as containing a sea of "virtual particles," atomic fragments that almost but not quite exist.
From time to time some of these subatomic particles pop out of the vacuum into material reality.
Such occurrences are called vacuum fluctuations.
The fluctuations cannot be directly observed, but theories based upon them have been corroborated by laboratory experiments. What theoretically occurs is that a particle and antiparticle appear without cause from the vacuum and almost instantaneously negate each other and disappear.
Physicists postulate that instead of just a tiny particle, the entire universe popped out of the vacuum. And instead of instantaneously disappearing, our universe has somehow persisted for billions of years.
I do tend to agree with you

the big bang is a religious hypothesis of the beginning of the universe.

and while there apears to be an event at T>/= 0 I do not think it describes the beginning of the universe, and I do expect that very soon it the BB will no longer be associated with the beginning of the universe.

Like most religious hypothesis the BB theory is of very limited interest or instruction.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#573145 Dec 13, 2012

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#573146 Dec 13, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
what do you believe about the origin of everything and why do you believe what you believe?:)
I suspect that our universe budded from a multiverse. It seems most likely. Such a multiverse may have always existed uncreated, and it need not be conscious.

The least likely explanation for existence is a sentient, volitional, god serving the same role as the multiverse in the above. That is because the most complex life form imaginable is the east likely thing to exist uncreated.

Fennario

#573147 Dec 13, 2012
God Himself wrote:
Christians can hardly even agree on what hell truly is.
You can't agree on much, which is why there are nearly 40,000 sects of Christianity.

But what difference does it make that you don't have a consensus about hell? You mostly all agree that it was a place your god built and stocked with some monsters that he also created, and a source of great torment for the souls that he keeps alive forever to suffer there.

And I haven't seen any of you say yet the obvious about how vicious a monster it takes to do that. Several of you seem to take delight in that idea right here in this thread.

Fennario

#573148 Dec 13, 2012
God Himself wrote:
The bible says "The wicked shall be TURNED INTO hell, and all the nations that FORGET God" [Psalm 9:17]
That suggests that it is the person that BECOMES HELLISH in himself and in his mind; as opposed to being driven into literal physical fire.
Cherry picking? Your bible says more than that. Have you not heard about the lake of fire?

"And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." - Revelation 20:11-15

"And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever" - Revelation 20:10

“Then he will say to those on his left,‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." - Matthew 25:41

I think that's clear enough.

Fennario

#573149 Dec 13, 2012
God Himself wrote:
But I think you are being dishonest in saying that you "don't choose what I find believable". YOU actually choose what to believe by describing the set of things that you find worthy of belief. How else do you justify the fact that you believe scientific concepts more than religious concept (if you believe any religious concepts at all)?
Your experience of life is unrecognizable to me. How is it that you seem to understand almost nothing about mine, or about rational thought? Rational thought takes one to where the evidence and rules of inference lead it, not to where it chooses to go. Think of it as a math problem, perhaps a sum. You don't get to choose the answer - only to discover it.

You are apparently so unfamiliar with this kind of thinking that you don't believe people do it.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#573150 Dec 13, 2012
I was raised in church-all my life--daddy was a deacon in church-momma was a sunday school teacher--I strayed so bad--it aint funny--i became a stripper---I sinned, I drank the beer, I smoked the pot, I been married and divorced---I am a sinner!!!! But--I CAN TELL YOU GOD---JESUS IS REAL!!! MY child's car brokedown...we barely made it to New Middletown Baptist Church, I was at my wits end...The preacher told me he used to be an addict a drinker---he didn't judge me....I can NOT TELL U if JESUS is real--but I can tell u this--I was about to call it and end..I was am still at my wits end...but that preacher there....he makes me want to go to church Sunday, he is sooo real....I am still sinning....but I DO BELIEVE NOW THERE IS A HIGHER POWER

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#573151 Dec 14, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
You should now be the first Topix poster to have a copy of my voice, as I have just sent the links to you. I am narcissistic so I might as well act the part.:) Hopefully they don't turn you off too much.
i got the one of your mom and the other of Ken Curtis. But no Boooots! Even though you are not a church goer, you must be very proud of your mom as she sings her heart out. It made me smile.:)

Fennario

#573152 Dec 14, 2012
God Himself wrote:
Actually, there is no way to prove a negative or demonstrate it or test it. You are merely hiding behind words.
Actually, you're wrong. It's easily done, every day.
God Himself wrote:
How can science validate negative claims?
The only way for science to validate a negative claim is to deduce the positive opposite of that claim and test that positive opposite.
Science has demonstrated several negatives. You've been told this already.
God Himself wrote:
You cant prove that THERE IS NO elephant in the birdbath unless you look to see THAT THERE IS an elephant in the birdbath.
That is more or less correct, and contradicts what you just posted.

Fennario

#573153 Dec 14, 2012
God Himself wrote:
IT IS THE POSITIVE THAT IS TESTED AND DEMONSTRATED. IT IS THE POSITIVE THAT IS USED TO VALIDATE THE NEGATIVE.
I have no idea what that means. A negative claim will have been confirmed by the process.
God Himself wrote:
A negative claim has no value outside of the positive implications; because a negative cannot be acted on
What does than mean? I continually act on the knowledge that something doesn't exist
God Himself wrote:
Describe not; Show me never; Demonstrate dont;
You seem quite confused. I see this a lot with people trying to make the absurd seem reasonable, which is really what Christian apologetics is all about.
God Himself wrote:
So technically, science cant prove a negative nor validate a negative claim; for the simple fact that a negative does not exist in the zone of what is testable and demonstrable.
"When the philosopher's argument becomes tedious, complicated, and opaque, it is usually a sign that he is attempting to prove as true to the intellect what is plainly false to common sense”- Edward Abbey

Fennario

#573154 Dec 14, 2012
Flagler Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a spineless liar. It's truly awful and gut-wrenching what atheism has done to the mental state of human beings these days. We can blame all of the public shootings on atheism as it has stripped the common good of people away and replaced it with the filth of anti-Christianity and Satanism. We can expect more atheistic hatred and death as we see more people fall away from the founding principles of this country----Christianity.
Dude! There you are!

I thought that you might like to know that you and Just Results have been chosen to be my poster children for bad Christianity on Topix. You're near the bottom of this post:

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

I'm really sorry that you turned out like you did, but I'm glad that you brought it here to demonstrate to us what that is.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#573155 Dec 14, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>i got the one of your mom and the other of Ken Curtis. But no Boooots! Even though you are not a church goer, you must be very proud of your mom as she sings her heart out. It made me smile.:)
Booots! I got your link to work. You sound exactly as I expected. I enjoyed the video and your singing. Talent runs in your family!

Fennario

#573156 Dec 14, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
As long as you assume there is nothing wrong with homosexuality then you will have to discredit the Bible.
And as long as you assume that there is nothing wrong with the bible, you have to discriminate against gays.

That's a pretty easy choice for compassionate people - people that actually respect the Golden Rule rather than just give it lip service.
lightbeamrider wrote:
We all have to give up certain behaviors in order to get right with God. You want to have your cake and eat it too. Been there done that. It does not work.
Me, too, and I can report the exact opposite. I haven't been "right with God" in decades, and my life is much better now than it was as a Christian. How do you account for that? Satan?

Fennario

#573157 Dec 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Iraq helped to fund Al Qaeda.
Iraq trainded Al Qaeda troops.
Iraq funded a lot of their training.
They let themselves known after 9-11. Ever hear of AQI, Al-Qaeda in Iraq?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda_in_Iraq
From your link:

"The group was founded in 2003 as a reaction to the US-led invasion and occupation of Iraq."

Your own post implies that there was no connection between al Qaeda and Iraq until after the American invasion. Yet you appear to be citing that al Qaeda presence as a reason to invade. How can you be so easily duped?

If there weren't so many tens of millions just like you, it wouldn't matter. But there are, and it is dangerous to share decision making with you. Your contingent is what I call "the retarded brother."

The analogy refers to the two main camps in America today, which have polarized. These are the brothers, and their business is America. America is like a business in many senses. It has assets, capital, a cash flow, and produces goods and services.

You and your half of the nation are the retarded brother, who is also a full partner with the equivalent of check writing and contract signing privileges. I'm sure that you also wanted the Republicans back in office despite their incredibly poor performance last decade, and you almost got it.

This is analogous to firing an accountant for embezzlement, and finding out four years later that your retarded brother is trying to sign him to another four year contract.

Fennario

#573158 Dec 14, 2012
Flagler Beach wrote:
You are a spineless liar. It's truly awful and gut-wrenching what atheism has done to the mental state of human beings these days. We can blame all of the public shootings on atheism as it has stripped the common good of people away and replaced it with the filth of anti-Christianity and Satanism. We can expect more atheistic hatred and death
[1] "A 7-year-old boy was beaten to death by his parents last week after he failed to read the Bible and do his homework, according to Metro Police."
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/dec/03/m...

[2] "A father in Georgia claims the Bible justified the corporal punishment that caused the death of his 5-month-old son."
http://www.examiner.com/article/georgia-fathe...

[3] "Atlanta pastor arrested after infecting parishioners with HIV"
http://www.examiner.com/article/atlanta-pasto...

[4] "Nantucket child killed in exorcism"
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...

[5] "North Carolina Pastor Suggests Parents Beat The Gay Out Of Their Kids"
http://sfist.com/2012/05/02/north_carolina_pa...

[6] "Las Vegas Church of God in Christ pastor charged with sex crimes, used Bible to exploit teen boys"
http://religiouschildabuse.blogspot.mx/2011/0...

I've got a few dozen more if you're interested

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#573159 Dec 14, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very, very well stated.
Thank you oh master of the gym!

Fennario

#573160 Dec 14, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
When you scoff, persecute, and ridicule Christians daily, does that make you a special kind of atheist or the typical atheist? I say typical.
Of the three, I try to limit my involvement with Christianity to scoffing and ridicule.

And yes, I'd say that you'd have to be a special kind of person to be able to persecute Christians merely by posting about their church on the Internet.

As for scoffing and ridiculing being typical, not so much yet. Perhaps the day is not far off when a candidate will be jeered at for admitting to a belief in angels but not evolution. You'll know that that has happened when the phrase "closeted Christian" replaces "closeted atheist."

Many of us here on Topix are honing our chops as we speak, becoming more effective in our ridicule of the mess that is your church as part of the effort to diminish it. And we are helping others to see the value of ridicule by example, to see how worthy of it you are, and to become more comfortable and expert at doing so.

You did this to yourselves.

[1]“Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus." -Thomas Jefferson

[2] "I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt, and I claim that right." – Christopher Hitchens

[3] "If religion contained any truth, it could be ridiculed, insulted, even defiled, without being diminished in any way. Its truth would shine through: undimmed, unblemished, shaming those who abused it into silence. But that’s not how things are." - Pat Condell

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homeowners lose Katrina insurance flood case (Aug '06) 4 min DBullock 12
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min truth 665,632
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 30 min crucifiedguy 284,739
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 33 min It aint necessari... 723
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,820
donald trump will not fulfill all campaign prom... 2 hr crucifiedguy 62
women watching men naked on webcam (Mar '12) 3 hr str8hairymarried 85
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 hr truth 88,545
The Future of Politics in America 6 hr River Tam 313
More from around the web