“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#572614 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't change your tune, scar scar.
I haven't changed my tune, you can search any of my past posts and clearly see I haven't.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You said there'd be no religion without the Bible.
For Christianity, yes.

You do consider the preexisting religious book of Judaism - the Old Testament or Torah/Tanakh, that Christianity is based upon - to be a current and ancient part of your bible, no?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#572615 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But there WAS Christianity before the Bible.
Christianity emerged from the Judaic Messianic movements within Judaism, those "movements", or sects, had started to emerge somewhere around 200BCE. They were wanting a radical change to occur within Judaism and thought the prophesied Mashiach was the way for that to happen.

So, it was something that had been building for a long while, and the Jesus figure did not and does not fulfill Judaic messianic prophetic requirements, although Christians assert he does, but he doesn't.

You follow a false Messiah, and a false prophet, and it's very clear based upon Judaic Messianic prophecy which is specific, and those prophecies have not been fulfilled.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#572616 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You act like you assume the Bible has always been...
No, I am well aware of the history and content of biblical texts.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The oldest known inscription of the Yahweh dates to 840 BC, on the Mesha Stele. It bears the earliest certain extra-biblical reference to the Israelite god Yahweh.
You mean once the Yahweh had been adopted and claimed as their own within Judaism, which was polytheistic in its origins.

You are ignoring the mentions of the Yahweh within the Canaanite pantheon of deities worshiped, and seen, for instance in Ugaritic texts, ranging in dates from around 1450-1200 BCE. That is the best documented time period within the Ugarit culture, too.

You are aware that Canaanite people/culture is where the Hebrew people/culture originated from, aren't you?

No?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#572617 Dec 12, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but I don't believe that. Why do you?
because it's the truth.

what do you believe and why?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572618 Dec 12, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Speculation.
Although, I will agree to that no religion is required to believe in a god.
That's not speculation. God was there before the bible was written.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572619 Dec 12, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically, it's more solid evidence than the bible.
You're silly.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572620 Dec 12, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't changed my tune, you can search any of my past posts and clearly see I haven't.
<quoted text> For Christianity, yes.
You do consider the preexisting religious book of Judaism - the Old Testament or Torah/Tanakh, that Christianity is based upon - to be a current and ancient part of your bible, no?
Christianity started almost as soon as Jesus was executed.

The Christians had to hide from the Roman Empires for fear of death.

There was no Bible.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#572621 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly I used to not be so certain. But lemme tell ya, when God touches you & speaks to you, you know it.
I had my doubts, which I argued incessantly with my dad & grandpa. I doubted that God was real, heaven, prayer, hell, angels, etc. I thought that it was all bull. And I was raised in a Christain home.
About 30 years ago, when I needed Him the most, God touched my head & spoke to me, literally. From that point on I had absolutely no doubt that He's real.
It was then that I started asking the "why"...
And don't let the atheists fool you, they're gonna shoot me down with some physco babble and say it was all in my head. They're wrong.
Redneck says.....About 30 years ago, when I needed Him the most, God touched my head & spoke to me, literally. From that point on I had absolutely no doubt that He's real.

Michael says.......What did God look like?

.......Was he tall, slim, with long chestnut color hair, or was he just as most jews were 2,000 years ago, 5 foot 1", with a big nose, olive skin and jet black eyes and hair..........like anyone from Afghanistan we see on CNN every night?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#572622 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity started almost as soon as Jesus was executed.
The Christians had to hide from the Roman Empires for fear of death.
There was no Bible.
"Christianity began as a Jewish sect in the Levant of the middle east in the mid-1st century"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity#His...

The above was based upon the OT/Torah/Tanakh

That was the "bible" of the time.

You can split hairs if you want, but the statement I made earlier stands.

scaritual wrote: Every belief you have concerning your deity is based upon the bible.

That is the fact and matter of this particular conversation.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#572623 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not speculation. God was there before the bible was written.
you don't know this, so why make the claim?

With all of your posts from the dictionary, you do know the difference between "belief" and "fact", right?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#572624 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy...
The ole "ancient pagan holiday" routine, huh?
HA HA HA HA!!!
Hey Chris, prove it.
http://www.hope-of-israel.org/cmas1.htm

Google scares the shit out of you, doesn't it.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572625 Dec 12, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Christianity emerged from the Judaic Messianic movements within Judaism, those "movements", or sects, had started to emerge somewhere around 200BCE. They were wanting a radical change to occur within Judaism and thought the prophesied Mashiach was the way for that to happen.
So, it was something that had been building for a long while, and the Jesus figure did not and does not fulfill Judaic messianic prophetic requirements, although Christians assert he does, but he doesn't.
You follow a false Messiah, and a false prophet, and it's very clear based upon Judaic Messianic prophecy which is specific, and those prophecies have not been fulfilled.
So you think that all Christians follow a false messiah?!?

I think you're confusing Judaism with Christianity a bit too much.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#572626 Dec 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not universal in the ancient world. Such belies your misunderstanding of history.
Yeah well then you can always prove me wrong by demonstrating from ancient history where slavery was condemmed.
And, even if it was, a perfectly moral being would not condone slavery merely because His Creations, who in your religion are fallen and less than perfect, use slavery.
It was a fact of life in the ancient world. Besides you are setting pre conditions on God. You ignore the fact this life is between two time periods, where creation is in harmony with the Almighty and evil is isolated. i would expect you to be a little more clinical in your approach. The overall tone of your post is an appeal to emotion which amounts to disgust. That is not a good basis to make rational decisions. All a Christian claims is to be saved from this perverse generation and to call upon the Lord and be saved.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572627 Dec 12, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am well aware of the history and content of biblical texts.
<quoted text>
You mean once the Yahweh had been adopted and claimed as their own within Judaism, which was polytheistic in its origins.
You are ignoring the mentions of the Yahweh within the Canaanite pantheon of deities worshiped, and seen, for instance in Ugaritic texts, ranging in dates from around 1450-1200 BCE. That is the best documented time period within the Ugarit culture, too.
You are aware that Canaanite people/culture is where the Hebrew people/culture originated from, aren't you?
No?
I'm not ignoring anything except your misinterpretation of the available facts.

Wiki:

"Yahweh may exist as an ending of some Amorite male names, though the only Canaanite mention of Yahweh, found on the Mesha Stele, refers to the God of Israel contrasted with Chemosh."

Chemosh is in the Bible, Num. 21:29, Jer. 48:7, 13, 46. Cast out as another false God. Replaced with the love of the Lord.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572628 Dec 12, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Redneck says.....About 30 years ago, when I needed Him the most, God touched my head & spoke to me, literally. From that point on I had absolutely no doubt that He's real.
Michael says.......What did God look like?
.......Was he tall, slim, with long chestnut color hair, or was he just as most jews were 2,000 years ago, 5 foot 1", with a big nose, olive skin and jet black eyes and hair..........like anyone from Afghanistan we see on CNN every night?
der.....

Redneck say.....Did I ever say that I saw Him?
Sharkey

United States

#572629 Dec 12, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> No. If God is all power and authority and if creation is God dependent then God is not responsible to creation. Creation is responsible to God.
<quoted text> Your conclusion is invalid. Your first premise is off.
No. You've got it backwards. Creation didn't "make god", so it's not "responsible to god" "God" is responsible to creation, since the claim is "god created it".
If "god created everything", that makes him responsible, simply because he was "able to".
"To create" would mean that "god" would have the ability, or what we like to call "free will".
Since "god was able to create everything" and "he did" then that means that "he" must take responsibility for what "he created".
It's the "You broke it, you bought it!" premise.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572630 Dec 12, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
"Christianity began as a Jewish sect in the Levant of the middle east in the mid-1st century"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity#His...
The above was based upon the OT/Torah/Tanakh
That was the "bible" of the time.
You can split hairs if you want, but the statement I made earlier stands.
scaritual wrote: Every belief you have concerning your deity is based upon the bible.
That is the fact and matter of this particular conversation.
I will agree that most of the beliefs **I** have comes from the Bible, but that's not the entire conversation & you know it.

There were plenty of people that believed in God for centuries before there was a Bible. There were people that believed in Jesus for centuries before there was a Bible.

That is fact.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572631 Dec 12, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
you don't know this, so why make the claim?
With all of your posts from the dictionary, you do know the difference between "belief" and "fact", right?
Excuse me, sorry.**Christianity** was there before the Bible was written.
Sharkey

United States

#572632 Dec 12, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah well then you can always prove me wrong by demonstrating from ancient history where slavery was condemmed.
<quoted text> It was a fact of life in the ancient world. Besides you are setting pre conditions on God. You ignore the fact this life is between two time periods, where creation is in harmony with the Almighty and evil is isolated. i would expect you to be a little more clinical in your approach. The overall tone of your post is an appeal to emotion which amounts to disgust. That is not a good basis to make rational decisions. All a Christian claims is to be saved from this perverse generation and to call upon the Lord and be saved.
"Slavery was a fact of life."
Oh, so it's perfectly OK for it to be "right" then, but not now?
And you religionists say people practice "moral relatavism" but you guys can do that "because you will just be saaaaaaved by the Lord anyway."
LMAO! SMFH! You will always be a bunch of hypocritical phonies. If you're supposed to be "reps of god" how much does that say about the "god that created you"?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#572633 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think that all Christians follow a false messiah?!?
I think you're confusing Judaism with Christianity a bit too much.
No, just looking at the Judaic prophetic requirements concerning Messianic prophecy.

It's very clear the Jesus did not fulfill those prophecies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 min MakeWOrldPEaceUID... 175,508
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Anthony MN 558,765
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 14 min onemale 264,962
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 15 min MakeWOrldPEaceUID... 4,666
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 25 min lil whispers 604,737
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 34 min Wordsworth 5,087
Realtor Warnings 42 min Outraged 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 hr AN NFL FAN 119,620
More from around the web