|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Mythology is magic to the theist, and the illusion you fall for is that it's real, that it represents more than what it is, which is mythology.
Just like magic, eh?
LMAO, the atheist defines the theist.....

Nice.

Except you're wrong.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
explain why it is that a god would reveal himself to an empty vessel such as yourself, and not to moral persons?
You know, you've asked that question at least a dozen times.....

You consider yourself moral?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
in genesis, the language defined the time period in reference to the customary understanding of a day (an earth day) one imagines it did so because of the nature of the word employed. that is: a word which meant time but required context for the length of time was used. It appears that the author, was determined and explicit in his communication that the time in reference, was the common understanding of day.
It is difficult to understand the motivation for denial of this passage. The christian brings dishonor to the text and confusion to communication with his audience, when he discredits such precise language.
Riiiight.

You can skew the words in Genesis all you want so long as it makes the Bible look wrong, huh?

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiight.
You can skew the words in Genesis all you want so long as it makes the Bible look wrong, huh?
Well, it's a hodgepodge of books written by an ancient people that didn't have much technology. For what it is, it's actually pretty remarkable, even though the bible does get some things wrong.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
Humans are not fallen. Your religion is putrifyingly ill.
I agree. And I resent that attitude from the Christians about my species. I resent them spreading such filth about us. To them, we are fatally flawed and of no good whatsoever. According to the Christians, man has only ever created one thing: sin. We brought that into the universe.

We are told that we were born in debt, worthless, and worthy of suffering without some sort of purification first. Without a god, our lives are immoral, meaningless and without purpose. And on it goes. Our very substance - flesh - isn't so much spoken as spat out. Christian misanthropy is a deep pessimism for mankind.

If it were not other human beings saying these things about us, there would be war. If a second intellectual and verbal species evolved on earth, or colonized earth from elsewhere, and they spoke about humanity like that, they would be as despised. So why not rebuke the sickening church and religion that says those very same things for the same reason?

Every human being should reject and resent that. I don't expect the Christians to do so, but shouldn't the rest of us? Shouldn't we denounce such speech the way we would similar comments about the worth of women, gays, seniors, or blacks?

I think it's becoming increasingly in our power to define societal standards regarding what is acceptable to say about mankind and what is acceptable to say about atheists. I don't care for the choices that the Christians have made in either of these areas.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the proof of this one god?
To begin with how is he causally connected with the universe?
How did he create this universe from nothing?
How does he govern the universe in the absence of a causal link between this extra-cosmic deity and the universe?
If this god is spirit then what is spirit in terms of its material and force composition?
Spirit is not mind as someone suggested.
Mind is a grade - the deductive aspect - of the manifested unified field of consciousness-energy.
one must assume that your inability to share a cogent thought implies that you do not form such thoughts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, you think that you need that to be true, so you hunker down and insist that it is. That's the kind of reality creation - spin -that characterizes religious thought.
"God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day." - Genesis 1:5
This is why we don't let Christians tell us what their bible says, let alone what science is. You have no commitment to truth or reality.
Eh?

"we don't let Christians tell us what their bible says"

Who's "we"? Athitards like you?

I'll bet you don't know that the Hebrew words for evening & morning are ereb & boqer, huh?

I'll also bet that you don't know that in the context of Genesis, ereb & boqer translate into a "vision" that covers many years, not a literal day...

But, go on. Keep up your athistic ability to not see reason.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
So, how is the basal consciousness and energy created from nothing by your extra-cosmic and creationist god and besides what happens to the basal consciousness-energy field at the end of a cosmic cycle? Does it get dissolved into nothing? How?
(smiles)
the quick brown fox, was an English Lad

He thought he could

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Right here:
RiversideRedneck wrote: "Yes, they lied. They wanted peace above all, just like toady. They would've said anything to prevent another jihad."
You wrote that they lied about their beliefs - what would be among their most cherished beliefs if they had held them as you imply - rather than face a conflict. That is the definition of a coward. And a liar.
<quoted text>
I reject your values. You're what is unflatteringly called an appeaser.
I remember hearing that word levied at people like me in 2002-03, when we were protesting Bush's rush to his war of aggression. We were called cowards, traitors, appeasers, America haters and the aiders and abettors of terrorists.
What should we call somebody who advocates lies about his beliefs to avoid a conflict? What if they are representing a nation and doing it on a document that will be preserved for posterity? Whatever that is, that is what you are calling those people.
I don't think that that Congress and president were liars or cowards at all. I think that they wrote what they understood to be the truth.
Why am I not surprised? That you protested the war......

You are a coward & a traitor & an America hater.

This is why you moved to Mexico.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Darwin's theory is unrelated to the pathway of abiogenesis.
Moron.

It's completely realated. Darwin's Theory of Evolution is the widely held notion that all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor: the birds and the bananas, the fishes and the flowers -- all related.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If you don't understand that slavery is immoral, and you're unwilling to see that instructions regarding slavery overtly - not tacitly - condones slavery, you utterly fail to understand morality.
The worst part about your inability to understand morality is that you received this from your religion. Christianity has destroyed your ability to understand what is moral, what is misery, how your fellow human should be treated - how sad!
You need to talk to God to know what He - presumably a perfectly moral being - would not condone slavery?!? Seriously???
I've interviewed a young woman who was stolen from her family, raped and abused till she was broken, turned into a sex slave. She hates men, unreservedly, with all her heart, and fears them. Now, tell me that she would be made whole if only her slavers had access to an instruction manual.
I spit on your morality.
you are far too kind

evolution gives us empathy and ethics, religion removes them and replaces them with xenophobia, paranoia, and christian morals.

RR is merely a (buck based) troll, but he does well represent the vile, ugly, failed morality that is christianity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

<quoted text>
"With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." - 2 Peter 3:8
Your god has difficulty with time, doesn't he?
Psalms 90:4 "For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday"
when it is past, and as a watch in the night."

It's metaphor...

It means that God sees a day like we see a thousand years.
And God sees a thousand years like we see a day.
And yesterday to us is like a thousand years to God.
And a thousand years is like a watch in the night, 3 hours.

Meaning: God doesn't recognize time like we do. Not in the least.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The only difference between belief in Santa and Jesus is that most adults acknowledge that the former is a lie told only to children.
Yup. And ost adults know the latter is the truth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My ethnicity is American.
You can't say the "native Americans" are native, they too came from somewhere else.....
Again, my ethnicity is American.
My heritage is American.
My ancestors are American.
Whatever happened before that, I don't care.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a problem for the religious to acknowledge history. You exemplify that problem above.
Your entire argument here is "might makes right if we kill most of them and that means I don't have to care about the past."
Praise the Lord! Don't think! Don't know! Just praise and praise and praise!
:)
WTF?

Where'd you come up with the "might makes right" BS based off of my response?

I AM proud to be American.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If you don't understand that slavery is immoral, and you're unwilling to see that instructions regarding slavery overtly - not tacitly - condones slavery, you utterly fail to understand morality.
The worst part about your inability to understand morality is that you received this from your religion. Christianity has destroyed your ability to understand what is moral, what is misery, how your fellow human should be treated - how sad!
You need to talk to God to know what He - presumably a perfectly moral being - would not condone slavery?!? Seriously???
I've interviewed a young woman who was stolen from her family, raped and abused till she was broken, turned into a sex slave. She hates men, unreservedly, with all her heart, and fears them. Now, tell me that she would be made whole if only her slavers had access to an instruction manual.
I spit on your morality.
Spit on me? lol

If I was an atheist, I'd spit on your butthole just before poking it.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Your disdain for slavery does not change the fact slavery was universal in the ancient world. Nor does it address the fact slavery is equally as valid as poicies against slavery since it is humans who determine right and wrong in a world absent God.
Your God was right there telling them what to do.

And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a nation that has a majority of christians.
That in no way makes it a christian nation.
Yes, in a way it does.

Sorry.

HAHA

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

JOEL wrote:
QUESTIONS:
1) During moments of sadness or depression, why do we feel a dull, constricted and slightly painful sensation in the center of the chest region?
2) Why are these symptoms of suffering not felt in the brain since most believe, as science tells us, that the brain is everything?
(smiles)
Most likely, we are feeling the autonomic nervous system, especially the sympathetic nervous system, which is in the thoracic spinal cord, and in the thoracic part of the chain of ganglia on either side of the cord, from which it forms the plexi that innervate the thoracic viscera, including the heart:

"The strength and frequency of the heart beat is controlled by the autonomic nervous system. Both parasympathetic and sympathetic parts of the autonomic nervous system are involved in the control of the heart.

"The sympathetic fibers arise from segments T2-T4 [for thoracic] of the spinal cord and are distributed through the middle cervical and cervico-thoracic (or stellate) ganglia and the first four ganglia of the thoracic sympathetic chain. The sympathetic fibers pass into the cardiac plexus."
http://academic.amc.edu/martino/grossanatomy/...

Even if this is correct, it's hard to say whether we are feeling the nervous system directly, or its effect on its end organs such as the heart or esophagus.

We get similar experiences in the pits of our stomach where it is called butterflies, and in the knees, possibly corresponding to the lumbar and sacral (pelvic) aspects of the autonomic nervous system.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

JOEL wrote:
(smiles)
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
(farts)
(fans)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's a hodgepodge of books written by an ancient people that didn't have much technology. For what it is, it's actually pretty remarkable, even though the bible does get some things wrong.
Wrong?

Like what?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min USA Born 537,402
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 13 min DeAngelo of Memphis 2,246
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 15 min Naveen kumar 1,017
Friends who want to share daily living experiences (Oct '11) 15 min Seraphima 8,213
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 16 min Tim Osman 117,883
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 18 min Dr_Zorderz 259,389
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 37 min Tender Mercies 4,264
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr lil whispers 599,591
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Freebird USA 173,011
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 11 hr monu chauhan 104

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••