Prove there's a god.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#572581 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
whence? ok.
How do you know that we're not a creation? Tell me one thing that is not created. Just one.
Oh, a watch definately necessitate an intelligent designer. Why wouldn't humans? Trees? Rocks? Gravity? Heat? Cold?
I don't know dude... I'm just wondering how some people can be so certain either way!
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572582 Dec 12, 2012
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>

Did you make that up or find it on a religious website?
It's my own definition.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572583 Dec 12, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Ar Ar.
Now we're getting somewhere.
They borrowed and took from a variety of earlier and preexisting cultural/societal myths and traditions.
The bible is a collection of those earlier culturally assimilated myths and traditions from other peoples, not Hebrew.
The deity,'Yahweh", for instance, had origins in Canaanite deity beliefs and practices.
Don't change your tune, scar scar.

You said there'd be no religion without the Bible.

But there WAS Christianity before the Bible.

You act like you assume the Bible has always been...

The oldest known inscription of the Yahweh dates to 840 BC, on the Mesha Stele. It bears the earliest certain extra-biblical reference to the Israelite god Yahweh.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572584 Dec 12, 2012
DEFINITION OF SCIENCE:

What we call science is nothing else but an inferential study and the manipulation of the surface effects of deeper causes that far exceed the shallow scope of science and its trail and error methods and deductive analyses.
hah

Marlinton, WV

#572585 Dec 12, 2012
If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul.
I would also want a God who would not allow a Hell. Infinite torture can only be a punishment for infinite evil, and I don't believe that infinite evil can be said to exist even in the case of Hitler. Besides, if most human governments are civilized enough to try to eliminate torture and outlaw cruel and unusual punishments, can we expect anything less of an all-merciful God?
I feel that if there were an afterlife, punishment for evil would be reasonable and of a fixed term. And I feel that the longest and worst punishment should be reserved for those who slandered God by inventing Hell.

To be sure, the Bible contains the direct words of God. How do we know? The Moral Majority says so. How do they know? They say they know and to doubt it makes you an agent of the Devil or, worse, a Lbr-l Dm-cr-t. And what does the Bible textbook say? Well, among other things it says the earth was created in 4004 BC (Not actually, but a Moral Majority type figured that out three and a half centuries ago, and his word is also accepted as inspired.) The sun was created three days later. The first male was molded out of dirt, and the first female was molded, some time later, out of his rib. As far as the end of the universe is concerned, the Book of Revelation (6:13-14) says: "And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind." … Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.

If you suspect that my interest in the Bible is going to inspire me with sudden enthusiasm for Judaism and make me a convert of mountain&#8208;moving fervor and that I shall suddenly grow long earlocks and learn Hebrew and go about denouncing the heathen — you little know the effect of the Bible on me. Properly read, it is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.

There are many aspects of the universe that still cannot be explained satisfactorily by science; but ignorance only implies ignorance that may someday be conquered. To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.

-Asimov
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572586 Dec 12, 2012
CORRECTION:

DEFINITION OF A REALIST:

A realist is one who takes his firm stand on higher reason and deep intuition and who relies on tangibles like consciousness and energy to explain THE totality of nature and being that he sees or realizes are simply graduated effects of a unified field of consciousness-energy that work according to causation.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572587 Dec 12, 2012
JOEL wrote:
DEFINITION OF A BELIEVER:
A believer is one who blindly believes in his extra-cosmic, anthropomorphic and creationist G-d or God as narrated by his scripture and who rushes to defend his faith or co-religionists like a rabid dog pouncing on anyone invading his shallow turf and whose idea of worship is mumbo jumbo rituals.
"blindly" follows?

You don't know much about believers, do ya?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#572588 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why am I not surprised? That you protested the war......
And we were right. You should have heeded us. You wasted untold numbers of lives and dollars on a lie. You were duped.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You are a coward & a traitor & an America hater. This is why you moved to Mexico.
Whatever I am, I finally got tired of sharing a nation with so many people like you, and not just because I felt no connection to your half of the country any more.

I also lost faith in the government, which I came to see as not only no longer representing my interests, but as actually representing those of big business against mine.

With a smarter nation, we could have avoided the neocon debacle. But we didn't have a smarter nation. After seeing Clinton dragged through the muck and Bush inaugurated twice, I decided that it was just too dangerous living with so large a huge herd of such easily duped bovine.

You were duped about Iraq, and it sounds like you still are. I knew better, and people like me tried to tell you so. Why should I help pay for that? I might have been more willing to help if not for comments like yours above, which we heard that then, too.

What the hell. I never was much of an American anyway. I could never say that Pledge in school. It embarrassed me even as a child. And Americans trust in God, right? It says so right on the money.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572589 Dec 12, 2012
To study and manipulate surface effects, like science does, without knowing anything about the deeper causes is a moderately good exercise within extremely narrow limits.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572590 Dec 12, 2012
JOEL wrote:
DEFINITION OF SCIENCE:
What we call science is nothing else but an inferential study and the manipulation of the surface effects of deeper causes that far exceed the shallow scope of science and its trail and error methods and deductive analyses.
uh-huh.... So as an atheist, you get to define science as you see fit?

It doesn't work that way, bub. dictionary.com defines science:

sci·ence

noun

1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.

2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

3. any of the branches of natural or physical science.

4. systematized knowledge in general.

5. knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.

Fennario

#572591 Dec 12, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Darwin's theory is unrelated to the pathway of abiogenesis.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Moron.

It's completely realated. Darwin's Theory of Evolution is the widely held notion that all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor: the birds and the bananas, the fishes and the flowers -- all related.
And that contradicts my comment how?

You really are a mess.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572592 Dec 12, 2012
JOEL wrote:
CORRECTION:
DEFINITION OF A REALIST:
A realist is one who takes his firm stand on higher reason and deep intuition and who relies on tangibles like consciousness and energy to explain THE totality of nature and being that he sees or realizes are simply graduated effects of a unified field of consciousness-energy that work according to causation.
Again from the JOEL dictionary?

ugh....

re·al·ist

noun

1. a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.

2. an artist or a writer whose work is characterized by realism.

3. Philosophy . an adherent of realism.
adjective

4. of or pertaining to realism or to a person who embodies its principles or practices: the realist approach to social ills; realist paintings.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#572593 Dec 12, 2012
JOEL wrote:
To study and manipulate surface effects, like science does, without knowing anything about the deeper causes is a moderately good exercise within extremely narrow limits.
How would one go about "knowing anything about the deeper causes"?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572594 Dec 12, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And we were right. You should have heeded us. You wasted untold numbers of lives and dollars on a lie. You were duped.
<quoted text>
Whatever I am, I finally got tired of sharing a nation with so many people like you, and not just because I felt no connection to your half of the country any more.
I also lost faith in the government, which I came to see as not only no longer representing my interests, but as actually representing those of big business against mine.
With a smarter nation, we could have avoided the neocon debacle. But we didn't have a smarter nation. After seeing Clinton dragged through the muck and Bush inaugurated twice, I decided that it was just too dangerous living with so large a huge herd of such easily duped bovine.
You were duped about Iraq, and it sounds like you still are. I knew better, and people like me tried to tell you so. Why should I help pay for that? I might have been more willing to help if not for comments like yours above, which we heard that then, too.
What the hell. I never was much of an American anyway. I could never say that Pledge in school. It embarrassed me even as a child. And Americans trust in God, right? It says so right on the money.
Yes, Americans DO trust in God. At leat 75% of us do anyway.

If Clinton hadn't been busy gettin his rocks off in the Oval Office, maybe the media would've told us more about Al Qaeda's uprising and all the problems they were causing. But, NOOOOOO...... The media was more focused on the President's semen smear on the blue dress....

Bush did the right thing by invading Iraq. They were a major funder of terrorism, we need to squash them out once and for all.

Most Americans have had enough with the stupid terrorists and their Jihad. Most of us agreed with Bush at the time we invaded Iraq. That led to Afghanistan then to the death of Bin Laden.

Would you rather let terror live on?

Would you rather let innocent people get murdered by the thousands?

Damn, man. Get you balls back on and take a friggin stand for your freedom!
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572595 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

"blindly" follows?

You don't know much about believers, do ya?
Yes, blind beliefs characterize religious nuts.

Have you met Moses, Jesus, Krishna, Muhammad or Buddha to know for sure what they were really like in flesh and blood?

Boy, you cannot even corroborate their historicity or the authenticity of the scriptures.

Or have you had a glimpse of the higher planes of existence that're collectively termed heavens and hells in religious scriptures.

Mere intellectual beliefs count for nothing.

To directly experience the reality, the mind-matter barrier has to be dissolved and the consciousness of the observer should unite with the consciousness of the observed in an omnijective bonding.

Knowledge by identity of the subject with the object is the only way to acquire true knowledge.

Scripture reading, enacting mumbo jumbo rituals on a daily or weekly basis, fasting, charity, pilgrimage and mental acquiescence are for those with a poorly developed consciousness.

Fennario

#572596 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
God doesn't recognize time like we do. Not in the least.
Then he needs to learn to. It's pretty easy these days with digital clocks. The Spirit of the Lord need only hover over the face of a clock.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572597 Dec 12, 2012
It's 11.25 pm here in Mumbai (India). Good night. Later.

Fennario

#572598 Dec 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
I spit on your morality.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Spit on me? lol
You really are illiterate, aren't you? You can read the words, but you just can't understand them. I think that's technically called "functionally illiterate."
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If I was an atheist, I'd spit on your butthole just before poking it.
Were. If you WERE an atheist. The subjunctive mood takes "were."

Nice, by the way, You're a real class act.

Fennario

#572599 Dec 12, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
He also wants to take us from being content with our mortality to being only content with His plan for immortality.
Thanks, but I don't believe that. Why do you?

Fennario

#572600 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy...
The ole "ancient pagan holiday" routine, huh?
HA HA HA HA!!!
Hey Chris, prove it.
Happy Holidays!: http://images.clipartof.com/small/231798-Roya...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laura Escobedo-Corneal Transplant Fund-Please D... 12 min The Boxing Glove 1
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 12 min WasteWater 6,153
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min marge 596,501
The REAL REASON Howard Weitzman VAMPED from th... 22 min Doctor REALITY 3
LOUD CRYIN' SPOILED Black Kids in Wal Mart!!!!! 26 min Doctor REALITY 64
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 26 min End Times 612,638
the real reason Obama allowed and mosque near G... 30 min Doctor REALITY 8
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr An NFL Fan 177,211
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr HipGnosis 1,032
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 8 hr I Am No One_ 444,356
More from around the web