#572480 Dec 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If you don't understand that slavery is immoral, and you're unwilling to see that instructions regarding slavery overtly - not tacitly - condones slavery, you utterly fail to understand morality.
The worst part about your inability to understand morality is that you received this from your religion. Christianity has destroyed your ability to understand what is moral, what is misery, how your fellow human should be treated - how sad!
You need to talk to God to know what He - presumably a perfectly moral being - would not condone slavery?!? Seriously???
I've interviewed a young woman who was stolen from her family, raped and abused till she was broken, turned into a sex slave. She hates men, unreservedly, with all her heart, and fears them. Now, tell me that she would be made whole if only her slavers had access to an instruction manual.
I spit on your morality.
you are far too kind

evolution gives us empathy and ethics, religion removes them and replaces them with xenophobia, paranoia, and christian morals.

RR is merely a (buck based) troll, but he does well represent the vile, ugly, failed morality that is christianity.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#572481 Dec 12, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
"With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." - 2 Peter 3:8
Your god has difficulty with time, doesn't he?
Psalms 90:4 "For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday"
when it is past, and as a watch in the night."

It's metaphor...

It means that God sees a day like we see a thousand years.
And God sees a thousand years like we see a day.
And yesterday to us is like a thousand years to God.
And a thousand years is like a watch in the night, 3 hours.

Meaning: God doesn't recognize time like we do. Not in the least.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572482 Dec 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The only difference between belief in Santa and Jesus is that most adults acknowledge that the former is a lie told only to children.
Yup. And ost adults know the latter is the truth.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572483 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My ethnicity is American.
You can't say the "native Americans" are native, they too came from somewhere else.....
Again, my ethnicity is American.
My heritage is American.
My ancestors are American.
Whatever happened before that, I don't care.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a problem for the religious to acknowledge history. You exemplify that problem above.
Your entire argument here is "might makes right if we kill most of them and that means I don't have to care about the past."
Praise the Lord! Don't think! Don't know! Just praise and praise and praise!
:)
WTF?

Where'd you come up with the "might makes right" BS based off of my response?

I AM proud to be American.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572484 Dec 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If you don't understand that slavery is immoral, and you're unwilling to see that instructions regarding slavery overtly - not tacitly - condones slavery, you utterly fail to understand morality.
The worst part about your inability to understand morality is that you received this from your religion. Christianity has destroyed your ability to understand what is moral, what is misery, how your fellow human should be treated - how sad!
You need to talk to God to know what He - presumably a perfectly moral being - would not condone slavery?!? Seriously???
I've interviewed a young woman who was stolen from her family, raped and abused till she was broken, turned into a sex slave. She hates men, unreservedly, with all her heart, and fears them. Now, tell me that she would be made whole if only her slavers had access to an instruction manual.
I spit on your morality.
Spit on me? lol

If I was an atheist, I'd spit on your butthole just before poking it.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#572485 Dec 12, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Your disdain for slavery does not change the fact slavery was universal in the ancient world. Nor does it address the fact slavery is equally as valid as poicies against slavery since it is humans who determine right and wrong in a world absent God.
Your God was right there telling them what to do.

And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572486 Dec 12, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a nation that has a majority of christians.
That in no way makes it a christian nation.
Yes, in a way it does.

Sorry.

HAHA

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#572487 Dec 12, 2012
JOEL wrote:
QUESTIONS:
1) During moments of sadness or depression, why do we feel a dull, constricted and slightly painful sensation in the center of the chest region?
2) Why are these symptoms of suffering not felt in the brain since most believe, as science tells us, that the brain is everything?
(smiles)
Most likely, we are feeling the autonomic nervous system, especially the sympathetic nervous system, which is in the thoracic spinal cord, and in the thoracic part of the chain of ganglia on either side of the cord, from which it forms the plexi that innervate the thoracic viscera, including the heart:

"The strength and frequency of the heart beat is controlled by the autonomic nervous system. Both parasympathetic and sympathetic parts of the autonomic nervous system are involved in the control of the heart.

"The sympathetic fibers arise from segments T2-T4 [for thoracic] of the spinal cord and are distributed through the middle cervical and cervico-thoracic (or stellate) ganglia and the first four ganglia of the thoracic sympathetic chain. The sympathetic fibers pass into the cardiac plexus."
http://academic.amc.edu/martino/grossanatomy/...

Even if this is correct, it's hard to say whether we are feeling the nervous system directly, or its effect on its end organs such as the heart or esophagus.

We get similar experiences in the pits of our stomach where it is called butterflies, and in the knees, possibly corresponding to the lumbar and sacral (pelvic) aspects of the autonomic nervous system.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572488 Dec 12, 2012
JOEL wrote:
(smiles)
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
(farts)
(fans)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572489 Dec 12, 2012
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's a hodgepodge of books written by an ancient people that didn't have much technology. For what it is, it's actually pretty remarkable, even though the bible does get some things wrong.
Wrong?

Like what?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#572490 Dec 12, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
you are far too kind
evolution gives us empathy and ethics, religion removes them and replaces them with xenophobia, paranoia, and christian morals.
RR is merely a (buck based) troll, but he does well represent the vile, ugly, failed morality that is christianity.
LMMFAO!!!

"evolution gives us empathy and ethics"

Oh boy, you're REALLY reaching now...

Go ahead, worship your little theory. I won't stop you.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#572491 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, you've asked that question at least a dozen times.....
You consider yourself moral?
Ahh moral, yes, something else that christian have taken and claimed as their own only in this case they have twisted it to exclude anyone who doe not think as they do. I.e. Anyone who doe not lie for his god

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#572492 Dec 12, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Your disdain for slavery does not change the fact slavery was universal in the ancient world. Nor does it address the fact slavery is equally as valid as poicies against slavery since it is humans who determine right and wrong in a world absent God. Your disdain carries no real weight other than your opinion. If we have no souls and there is no accountability since there is no existence post death then people can come to a different conclusion than do you when it comes to slavery. If we can own dogs then we can own people. Anti slavery only makes sense if human rights are derived from an ultimate Authority which holds us accountable for how we treat each other. That we all have unalienable rights which cannot be denied without severe consequences in a court of no appeal. Atheism reduces people to the level of big brained animals. Nothing more since it could be argued insects are more adapted and stronger than humans.
religion has removed your empathy and ethics to such a degree, that you are unable to see that others have these qualities. You above rant borders upon sociopathic. Regardless it condemns your beliefs, and your god, should he exist.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#572493 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Spit on me? lol
If I was an atheist, I'd spit on your butthole just before poking it.
You don’t need to hide behind religion to do that. Priests do it all the time
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572494 Dec 12, 2012
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>

It's called physiology. Science has told us that EVERYTHING is in the brain? That's news to me. HAve any sources to cite that backs up your assertion?
Cognition of everything is in the brain.

Physiology tells us about sadness and its symptoms? This is news to me.(smiles)

So, what is sadness according to physiology?

Why do we feel a dullness, constriction and painful sensation in the middle of the chest region (and not in any other part of the body) when we're sad, depressed or sorrowful?
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572495 Dec 12, 2012
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>

(farts)
Wink, wink.

(smiles)
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#572496 Dec 12, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>

one must assume that your inability to share a cogent thought implies that you do not form such thoughts.
How do you define thoughts?

What is spirit?

LOL.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#572497 Dec 12, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
explain why it is that a god would reveal himself to an empty vessel such as yourself, and not to moral persons?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, you've asked that question at least a dozen times.....
You consider yourself moral?
and I have yet to receive an answer. I wonder why you duck it???

Huh?

christianity is a failed moral system. You are correct I reject the christian moral set.

You have filthy morals, even less ethical than the christian set. I certainly do reject your morals.

now about my question?

explain why it is that a god would reveal himself to an empty vessel such as yourself, and not to moral persons?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#572498 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ya, I know. Christmas is celebrated around the world. Yup, the whole world has accepted that we celebrate Jesus' birthday on Dec 25th.
Most of the world doesn't care about Jesus.

You should come to see it in Mexico, but you'd better hurry if you do. It's still a Christian holiday here, although not for long. When I got here 3+ years ago, there were no signs of the pagan ice gods yet - no trees, no Christmas lights, and no Santa. That's been changing ever since they opened up a Wal-Mart. Besides lights and trees, they also sell wreaths, tinsel, flocking, reindeer, snowmen - the whole pagan show.

I hadn't realized to what degree Wal-Mart can affect a culture, especially one like this that is thirsty for things American. If it's happening in the States, the style conscious Mexican is all over it.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#572499 Dec 12, 2012
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Wassssup! You know I love you man. I've never said otherwise. Your honesty towards me strengthens my appreciation of you. Thank you.
If I appear wishy washy, then so be it. It is what it is. I genuinely love people. All people. I genuinely love God. But somewhere in the middle is the struggle. I am being asked to choose sides. Keep one and discard the other. I'm being asked to place value on half my brothers and sisters and damn the others. I firmly believe that -we must learn to live together as brothers or perish as fools. There is a right way to live together rather than dwell on adversity.
Now going back to my "Wishy washy ways lol" I believe that God has endowed each and every one of us with very special and unique gifts to serve others. One breaks the hard ground and plants a seed. Another waters. Another cultivates and eliminates weeds and so on. We all do what we were made to do. You simply will need to see where your gift is and use it to your full potential.
I am not offended by your honesty in the least. It's appreciated and welcomed.:)
what can i say to this, Al, but yes and amen!

if i may, i would like to point out where you may not be seeing things exactly as they are; you said "I'm being asked to place value on half my brothers and sisters and damn the others"

i don't "damn" anyone when i take a stand for biblical morality and i wouldn't ask you to either. however, i would ask you as a brother to declare biblical morality and not deny it.

you've heard the saying; 'hate the sin, but love the sinner'. i would say that by not declaring sin as sinnful, you're enabling the sinner and doing nothing to proclaim freedom and deliverance from it if/when they're ready to be free. THIS IS NOT LOVE; it's the fear of man and fear of rejection, IMO.

it's all good tho, my brother. like you said; we all have our gifts and talents, strengths and weaknesess and yours are every bit as valid as mine.

love, love and more love!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min crucifiedguy 284,739
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 16 min It aint necessari... 723
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min truth 665,629
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,820
donald trump will not fulfill all campaign prom... 2 hr crucifiedguy 62
women watching men naked on webcam (Mar '12) 3 hr str8hairymarried 85
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 hr truth 88,545
The Future of Politics in America 6 hr River Tam 313
More from around the web