Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
There are less than a handful of Christians that can maintain a civil conversation about their religion. Lately, I have had three Christians that started out civil eventually break down and get personal and hostile over my opinions about faith, their bible, their doctrine, and their church.
I guess I understand. We attack what is most cherished to them, Now that the Internet gives us a safe place to express them, they're hearing what we think of their church, and they seem shocked. Since they have always had the freedom to demean and marginalize us unopposed, they're not used to hearing our thoughts.
They will. Watch as our ideas replace theirs. It seems inevitable to me that their ideas will become progressively more socially unacceptable and evoke increasingly more contempt and ridicule over the next few decades. Eventually, that will silence them. I expect that there will be a closet available soon ready for immediate occupancy.
Gotta love those people who wear gold crosses or other such jewelry, wear funny hats, strange clothing, horrible haircuts, stick fish and "I-Heart-Jesus" stickers on their cars - and then tell me to keep my atheism to myself.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

hah wrote:
I am agnostic, in case you are wondering. I believe there could be a god or gods, but I just don't believe in all the dogma associated with christianity etc.
Well said.

Me, too. I'm also agnostic. I don't really see how anything else is possible at this point. How could you know either way?

I'm also an atheist because, like you, I'm not buying any of the dogma. Nor the mythology, nor the superstitions, nor the magical thinking. I don't believe any of it, so I'm not involved in any religions or any forms of worship. Why would I be.

That makes me an atheist. An agnostic atheist. If I'm not an atheist - if somebody as aggressively anti-theistic as I am doesn't count as an atheist because - then the word is useless.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're also an atheist. You don't seem to believe in a god either.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be right, coz what about sikh history? Sikhs died for others but they got nothing in return but death. I do think that we should look at people like them and salute them, even if they said don't worship us as we are not Gods, we are humans like you, but i think they are Gods in my eyes. They gave up everything to help others and in the end they got nothing. Too good people do exist, they do, they do!!!
Don't listen to that cynical twit. Believe.
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>"Premenstral sydndrome" huh? Awwwww...how cute.
You hate women, and love men. You are gay. Of course you'd make a female slur. You're that self-hating gay man that's tromping for dates.
Well, you ain't gonna get 'em that way, son.
Treat the men you like just like us straight men treat women: you'll get more flies with honey than vinegar.
"I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."
Then you just contradicted yourself, you scizophreic...just like you did in "the book you wrote".
You SAY you are the ONE and ONLY "god" RIGHT IN THAT SAME BOOK.
Can't be both at the same time.
God is callig God a LIAR! HAAAA HAAAA!
God is an Atheist, Too!
No WONDER there are athiests!
It's like "God" doesn't even believe in his own existance!
Keep the crazy coming "god"! HA HA HA HA HA!
Are you sure that I am the one who hates women here?

Where is the contradiction?

If you understood the Bible you would know that there are various people speaking in the Bible, each having their own conception of what God is or relying on different attributes.

The differences in perspectives or characterisations of God are due to the differences in the subjectiveness of the perceptions of the various men, regarding the nature of God.

Hence there is no contradiction in God in the Bible, but there may be contradiction about God in the Bible.

What I have said about me being a God is not contradicting anything. You are making a baseless claim.

Do you even understand the style of writing that is used to compose the Bible?

DUNCE!

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
we do appear to be evolving morality, I think religion is holding us back.
We can hope for the day we evolve sufficiently that we no longer employ mythology as an understanding of morality
Sure we are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/fashion/27S...

Developing a callous, uncaring nature is more like it.

“To Eff The Ineffable”

Since: Nov 12

Wailuku

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

tryin' to hit post
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
OK.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nature doesn't have any problems because it has no (known) consciousness, preferences or will.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I don't understand the question. Maybe we don't mean the same thing by the phrase "natural intelligence." I mean intelligence that arose naturally, not supernaturally.
<quoted text>
Agreed.Of course, I haven't argued that, if that's where your going. I just finished telling you that "Natural intelligence probably does exist," meaning that the intelligence we see is probably not supernatural inorigin.
Why are you obsessed with the supernatural? You seem to be suffering from a God delusion of some sort. By "natural intelligence", I mean intelligence that arose naturally.

I desire to understand why you find it hard to appreciate that if natural intelligence exists, that intelligence may have designed and/or be guiding the development of the natural world.

Why couldn't natural intelligence cause the formation of the universe by intelligently designing; even by evolution in as much as it is a process that can be used to create intelligently?
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Are you also "Evo-Lotion is Rub-ish"? That was the name of the poster that I answered at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE... . He wrote: "aren't you essentially a BELIEVER in ToE?"
That person mentioned believing in. Was that you? If so, why are you using multiple names? I don't trust the sincerity or the motives of posters who come back wearing new identities. Why would you? It's the equivalent of coming to my door in a disguise when I know you, and asking me questions without telling me that it's you.
I've deleted the rest of your post.
Yes, I am the Evil-lotion character.
That quote does contain terms which allude to "belief in"; but my questions regarding "religious beliefs", I maid no mention about "believing in" anything; so I fail to see why you are differentiating believing in from believing that, in the context.
"I don't trust the sincerity or the motives of posters who come back wearing new identities" either.
But since the value of a person's questions and responses has nothing to do with what name they are posting under; just get with it or get lost.
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
You probably should actually listen to these things before you link to them. You need to see it again, this time past the 1:45 mark. The video was mocking you.
Incidentally, I think that this epitomizes the lack of thoroughness and rigor that characterizes the typical faith based thinker. You recommend material that you are unfamiliar with.
What do you imagine that your recommendations and endorsements are worth now?
I actually did listen to it before I posted it. You are not the individual described in the latter part of the video.

You are the one described in the first part... the one about an atheist being someone who is angry at God...

“To Eff The Ineffable”

Since: Nov 12

Wailuku

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

fengwenshu wrote:
His wife was satirizes actually, ridicule poor Shakespeare, Shakespeare's father, bankruptcy,
This makes Shakespeare great perplexed, depression, Only when attentive read home collection of books , forget self agony.
Shakespeare do this, his wife, blame, call names Shakespeare is more fiercer, crueler.
and the decline of the family, Wife never stops the blame , call names to Shakespeare,
So that Shakespeare's own sovereignty will, Been a heavy Oppression.
Shakespeare's comedy "Twelfth Night" he wrote: "A woman is always going to marry a larger than her own men,
She and her husband will be able to harmony,Her husband's mind to maintain balance, tranquility".
As the social position of Shakespeare's family dropped to the lowest point, love has been destroyed&#65292;People is ridiculed, satirizing Shakespeare&#65292;
Such very bad environment, force Shakespeare to use ego to balance wisdom , the ability, Pairs of Shakespeare's infinite innermost pain&#65292;
have accepted people's heavy insulting , non-free life.
In 1585, Shakespeare made a decision&#65292; alone to London to develop their own&#65292;
A free, happy life.
After London, by now, Shakespeare by oneself that long, must become in the world unprecedented great, immortal, the lofty cultural hero's most intense hope,
must creates for the humanity never the highest happiness, perpetuates the comfort this most beautiful hope flaming is burning chest's Shakespeare,
to realize oneself that to create greatly, immortal, surpassed all ancient times play's longest illusion, was being full of the great fervor, the life vigor youth, the beautiful gentry dream.
Despite such fanciful Shakespeare, ambitious Superman's dream, but Shakespeare or a mortal, this lives in sun's Shrine enjoys immortal's good wine phoenix.
but must lay down own wing, back to earth from the sky, onto for an unknown ordinary people,worry for their own clothing, food, housing, the transportation .
create for the own future great play, and accumulated experience of life and drama, strength, practice itself bravely in the daily life to people's universal love, make their sentiments perfectly .
But one who, despite being the world's most outstanding moral, ethical ,that but must this person be able to grasp firmly, controls own destiny, By their King.
But one should grasp firmly master their own destiny,own are own king,
must uphold, full utilization, displays own self-sovereignty will.
Only in this way, this person will not make non-justice forces of slaves.
If a person not self-sovereignty will, that person must want to practice own outstanding moral, ethical , is extremely difficult.
It's like a man in the big desert without water,this person must breed fish , is extremely difficult to achieve.
By fengwenshu
Chinese Translation British
possibly the most profound post on Topix. Good work.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you obsessed with the supernatural? You seem to be suffering from a God delusion of some sort. By "natural intelligence", I mean intelligence that arose naturally.
I desire to understand why you find it hard to appreciate that if natural intelligence exists, that intelligence may have designed and/or be guiding the development of the natural world.
Why couldn't natural intelligence cause the formation of the universe by intelligently designing; even by evolution in as much as it is a process that can be used to create intelligently?
was there something you intended to communicate when you composed this random outburst?
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Good post.
I now call the central tenets of the theory of evolution fact. Although no scientific theory can be proven, evolutionary theory comes as close as you can - close enough to call a fact. The theory can't be upturned without discovering something as dramatic as a Matrix reality or Last Thursdayism being the case, or uncovering a trickster god that wanted us to believe that life had evolved. If I can call less well established ideas facts, I think that I can call Darwin's idea fact as well.
What do you think?
But there you go.

A theory cannot be proven.

So what is the value of supporting evidence if it does not prove the theory correct?
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
people havent changed much over the centuries ,there was bad and good always,
only now you hear more about BAD more bc the news travels at the speed of light!
and it SELLs better then good news
And yet, people SHOULD have changed much - MORALLY - over the centuries, for the BETTER. Why has it gone pear-shaped?? Surely: PHYSICAL Evolution + MENTAL Evolution = MORAL Evolution. It's got me stumped.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Tavita wrote:
<quoted text>
possibly the most profound post on Topix. Good work.
Oh, dear.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

Boss of the Inland Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Sure we are.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/fashion/27S...
Developing a callous, uncaring nature is more like it.
something to think about.

http://wimp.com/humanrace/
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
we do appear to be evolving morality, I think religion is holding us back.
We can hope for the day we evolve sufficiently that we no longer employ mythology as an understanding of morality
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. I believe we are morally bankrupt almost to the point of no return. Besides, didn't all morality originate from religion in the first place?? Sorry for raining on your parade, karl44!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

<quoted text>
There are less than a handful of Christians that can maintain a civil conversation about their religion. Lately, I have had three Christians that started out civil eventually break down and get personal and hostile over my opinions about faith, their bible, their doctrine, and their church.
I guess I understand. We attack what is most cherished to them, Now that the Internet gives us a safe place to express them, they're hearing what we think of their church, and they seem shocked. Since they have always had the freedom to demean and marginalize us unopposed, they're not used to hearing our thoughts.
They will. Watch as our ideas replace theirs. It seems inevitable to me that their ideas will become progressively more socially unacceptable and evoke increasingly more contempt and ridicule over the next few decades. Eventually, that will silence them. I expect that there will be a closet available soon ready for immediate occupancy.
To most Christians the only true words are the words that were told to them by their parents or Grandparents, read about in the Bible and verified by their pastors. Along comes someone and tells them that what they've heard, what they've known what they've cherished and who've they've cherished it from is not true? And in most of those cases IANS (maybe not in your case but in most others out there) they're told in a not so nice way that they've been lied to, or are crazy. And one wonders why we become hostile? It's the Equivalent of being told that your parents aren't your real parents, or the that person telling you this is for whatever reason attempting to maliciously lie to you and hurt you.

Of course a Christian is going to resist, get angry and respond with a defense that may be less than civil. They feel that... Know that... What they know is the truth and along comes this person telling them otherwise. We've been told that Satan will come along to do just that. And guess what?! There is a real fear of Satan and its easy to now see him in the flesh delivering the message that we were told would come.

It's really not difficult for me to see where the hostility comes from. Perhaps I don't personally fear Satan. Perhaps I've toyed with the idea that he may not exist. That may well be why I personally do not respond with hostility. But I cannot speak for all my Christian brethren on this but only my own. Perhaps my lack of fear of Satan will be my undoing at my end, but only time and God will tell.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>something to think about.
http://wimp.com/humanrace/
Mornin', Al. Why are you up at this ugly cow-milking hour?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>"good people will always help you if you need it, they'll never ask anything in return."
Psssshht. BS.
You're giving humans more credit than they deserve on this one.
They always do something to get something in return, even if it's just acknowledgement of their good deed.
"See what I did for YOU, now what have you got for ME?" is the REAL human motto.
Even though it APPEARS that "they'd give you the shirt off their back", they still want it to be known that, "Hey, look what I did..."
Hi Sharkey! I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Yes, it's true that it appears that everyone is out to step on everyone else to get ahead. But that's all it is -appearance. There really are some that are pure of heart and spirit and wish to do what is right. There are some that will give and not ask for anything in return. They are out there as a lovely voice drowned out in a crowded noisy city, but make no mistake friend, that voice is still out there though it may not be heard at first.
We must all strive not only to believe that kindness is out there, but strive how we can attempt to better others. It sounds like a load of crap I know, but its not.
Good people do exist. You are good people. Just show someone. That's it. No secret. No magic.
Peace to you my friend.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
But there you go.
A theory cannot be proven.
So what is the value of supporting evidence if it does not prove the theory correct?
Special relativity - true or false?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••