Prove there's a god.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571811 Dec 10, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah and your interpretation of Christians is of your own prejudice. Seems it does not accur to you apply your own standards to your own posts.
I read a post of yours on that other thread. i get it now. You are an alcoholic felon who has traded addictions. AA is a dangerous organization and does nothing to empower those who need empowering. AA is tacit proof that a secular, humanistic worldview is superior to that in which an imaginary god is the alleged source of strength. The recidivism rate of AA attendees is exactly that same as those who enter no program at all. Fail.

"Conservatives pride themselves on resisting change, which is as it should be. But intelligent deference to tradition and stability can evolve into intellectual sloth and moral fanaticism, as when conservatives simply decline to look up from dogma because the effort to raise their heads and reconsider is too great." - Willaim F Buckley
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571812 Dec 10, 2012
BadBreathBruce wrote:
<quoted text> I'm sorry. Try as I may, I just can't see any improvement at all.
Because you are stuck in the morally inferior Christian time warp. Your religion teaches that men screwed themselves by wanting knowledge. Weird.

“O'si yo!”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#571813 Dec 10, 2012
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would any teacher, if they had been given the right to teach, tell a child that they couldn't bring God into what Christmas meant to them? The teacher is asking the child to tell them a fact about their own perception of Christmas not giving them a lesson on God. If a child says that Christmas to them means the birth of Christ or however they word it, then the teacher should acknowledge that the child has given something that Christmas means to that child, and she might say that Christmas is celebrated by a lot of people as the birth of Christ. But then she would definitely not go on to give them a lesson about following God and thou must believe the Bible etc.
If it is a religious class in a Christian school, then they may have entirely different guidelines, but still a teacher should not tell a child lies, that she knows can't be substantiated.
We couldn't get Patty to discuss what her kids told her about what the teachers teach at school, because she made it clear that she has no children, however, if you have children you may be more current on what kids come home and tell their parents, because my kids have not been in primary school for a very long time.
because there have been many cases where children were ask to do reports on something and a child brought God into it and the teacher dismissed that report, or told the child they couldn't paint a picture of Jesus and then the childs parents ended up having to sue the school for restricting the childs free speech.
happens alot more than you know boots.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#571814 Dec 10, 2012
BadBreathBruce wrote:
<quoted text> You can't be serious, can you?? "Oh, the WHOLE WIDE FREAKIN' WORLD is falling to PIECES around me. But, hey!! EVERYTHING'S just FINE!! RELIGION?? To HELL with it!!" Ah well. Different strokes for different folks.
You are suffering from presentism. Are you in any manner cognizant of the history of this world? Christians. Their TV is always bigger than their bookcase.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#571816 Dec 10, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Mother Teresa's greatest crimes were the fraud and sadism that her church convinced her to facilitate. Take a look at the following if you will, and then please tell me what you think about Mother Teresa and her church:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
I just went there and left a lengthy comment in response to your post there.

Clearly things are always not what they seem.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#571819 Dec 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Christian charities are by definition utterly inefficient. Secular charities out collect and outspend them by monumental numbers.
http://yashwata.info/2010/07/15/charity1/
Thanks for that. Good link.

Fennario

#571820 Dec 10, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Yeah and your interpretation of Christians is of your own prejudice.
Are you implying that having an unflattering opinion about Christianity is an unfair prejudice? If so, why?

I have a very negative opinion about Christianity, and don't expect much from Christians. Is that a prejudice? If so, is it improper? If so, why? I think it's a fair and accurate assessment. Why shouldn't I apply it?

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#571821 Dec 10, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>It is a scientific fact that all homophobes are practicing homosexuals. The gay suicides are the proof. Try as they may, they have yet to find a straight who killed her/himself due to homophobia.
Your kind of scientific facts sure seem to lack a lot of citation. Just saying.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#571822 Dec 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>I once saw a car littered with pro-life stickers driving in such an unsafe manner that it took out four cars a 4 miles up the road after it passed. It is supposed to mean more than zygotes.
.. why do Fundamentalist Christians think abortion, homosexuality or stem cell research immoral yet support wars that result in the death of innocents and innocuously coin such fatalities 'collateral damage'? Isn't murder, ahh, murder? What's the difference ??..
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

#571824 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>
I don't see that. That's not my world. How can we account for that? First, could our worlds be that different? Could we both be right? I should mention that I am very lucky, and life has been good to me. Maybe your path has been less well paved.
Maybe that path has been interrupted by more corruption and betrayal than mine. I've been victim of a fair amount of both, but still feel pretty good about mankind and the world.
Yes, there are a lot of malformed people out there. But that is part of what this culture war is about: the right to choose which values, attitudes and behaviors to encourage, and which to shun. I feel optimistic about the future in that area. I see Christianity as the walking dead in the West, presently losing its hegemony in America, its last stronghold. That's going to be healthy for mankind. That means better neighbors.
Where I worry is in the political arena. I see liberalism in America as just as dead as Christianity. We lost that one, and that means worse government.
Life's been good to me too. I also feel good and optimistic about the future of the world. But it will take divine intervention to fix the many problems humanity has. God cannot and will not tolerate SIN. So, I'm sorry, but if you continue on your path of sin without repentance, you will face Him on the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord, unsaved. Your name will NOT be written in the Book of Life and, well, you know what may happen next!! Christianity is NOT "the walking dead". It is LIFE, just as Jesus Christ, it's founder, is life. So WELCOME BRO, and I invite you to JOIN THE LIVING, MAN!!
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

#571827 Dec 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>You are suffering from presentism. Are you in any manner cognizant of the history of this world? Christians. Their TV is always bigger than their bookcase.
Well, I have heard some famous guy say that history is bunk. What have we learned from it?? Squat, it seems.
Davin

Chatham, Canada

#571828 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>
I think that you'd have to be a Christian to think that way. Nobody else seems to assume such ugly things about man. To my knowledge, nobody else is indoctrinated with so dark and misanthropic a philosophy of man than Christians.
<quoted text>
I can't say that I followed that argument, but why should we want to disprove that man is responsible for genetic mutations? Without a Christian upbringing, why would we even suspect such a thing, let alone assume it or want to disprove it? If another religion taught that genetic mutation was due to something else - say grasshoppers - we wouldn't feel the need to disprove that either.
you didnt read the quote that it was in reference to?maybe thats why you dont understand the argument.

so you really think that its only a christian belief that man has corrupted things like the environment, nuclear power, oil and natural gas? you think this is just a christian belief that its possible mankind has done more damage to this planet than anything remotely close to possitive. I look at Detroit as prime example of what happens to a city thats been damned with corruption and greed, but its ok detroit, we're all damned
BadBreathBruce

Auckland, New Zealand

#571830 Dec 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Because you are stuck in the morally inferior Christian time warp. Your religion teaches that men screwed themselves by wanting knowledge. Weird.
Well, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, y'know.
hah

Marlinton, WV

#571831 Dec 10, 2012
Davin wrote:
<quoted text>
you didnt read the quote that it was in reference to?maybe thats why you dont understand the argument.
so you really think that its only a christian belief that man has corrupted things like the environment, nuclear power, oil and natural gas? you think this is just a christian belief that its possible mankind has done more damage to this planet than anything remotely close to possitive. I look at Detroit as prime example of what happens to a city thats been damned with corruption and greed, but its ok detroit, we're all damned
That may be, but mankind's faults have nothing to do with apples.

Fennario

#571832 Dec 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
I am a gnostic atheist to Biblegod. It has been proven demonstrably false.
Agree.
Huh wrote:
As far as any other gods, cultural conditioning is only what has led us to any gods in the first place so I teeter towards gnostic atheism in that regard, as well. As no gods have ever been demonstrated and have no effect on the natural world, the knowledge of them is ultimately immaterial.
I am very close to that myself, but I don't think that my argument completely zeroes out the possibility of a god, so I hold on to the word agnostic for now.

The best argument I know against gods is that they are the least likely things to exist uncaused, much less likely than singularities, multiverses, and the most primitive replicating life forms.

Since a god is neither helpful nor necessary philosophically or scientifically, invoking one is a huge violation of Occam's Razor.

Of course, ruling out gods isn't as important or as practical a matter as ruling out religions, which as you allude, is easily done.
Davin

Chatham, Canada

#571833 Dec 10, 2012
hah wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be, but mankind's faults have nothing to do with apples.
maybe not apples but atoms? like as in atom bombs like in using nuclear bombs just to see what they could do? go read some history texts, the next world war will be that last world war

Fennario

#571834 Dec 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>I once saw a car littered with pro-life stickers driving in such an unsafe manner that it took out four cars a 4 miles up the road after it passed.

It is supposed to mean more than zygotes.
Ah, the Amoeba-Americans.

It's so sad how many end up in heaven via the toilet when the Lord, the universes most prolific abortionist, refuses to let them implant when they reach the uterus. I can see and hear them in heaven even now, strumming their teeny harps with their tiny pseudopodia, and making a joyful noise unto the Lord.
Davin

Chatham, Canada

#571835 Dec 10, 2012
<quoted text>
Agree.
<quoted text>
I am very close to that myself, but I don't think that my argument completely zeroes out the possibility of a god, so I hold on to the word agnostic for now.
The best argument I know against gods is that they are the least likely things to exist uncaused, much less likely than singularities, multiverses, and the most primitive replicating life forms.
Since a god is neither helpful nor necessary philosophically or scientifically, invoking one is a huge violation of Occam's Razor.
Of course, ruling out gods isn't as important or as practical a matter as ruling out religions, which as you allude, is easily done.
dude you are a pee on, you realize that quantum mechanics isnt even fully accepted as science and you're talking about the understanding of gods and disproving them geesh, you really hate religion dont you

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#571836 Dec 10, 2012
BadBreathBruce wrote:
<quoted text> Well, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, y'know.
Knowledge is power. The mere mortal men who wrote the bible wanted to do all they could to keep the masses as ignorant as possible. They didn't want the masses to have any knowledge; what better way to control people than by keeping them ignorant and living in fear?

Fennario

#571838 Dec 10, 2012
Phil Gray wrote:
I fart up your nose.
These must be hard times for American Christians. It's hard on all Americans seeing our country swirling the drain. But at least we skeptics have the secularization of America to give us hope. You have to watch your church die, too. That's got to be rough. No wonder you are looking for a nostril to pollute.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 min -Stray Dog 6,404
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 5 min Just Think 836
Should I marry this ugly blonde German girl or ... 9 min Felix loves Alison 16
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr Justise_League 1,940
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr sangili karuppan 1,838
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 2 hr sangili karuppan 7,475
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 2 hr Ajay 446
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr pusherman_ 599,406
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr WasteWater 272,403
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Great Day of Arma... 612,892
More from around the web